• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At least thirteen dead as van hits crowds in Barcelona

G.ZZZ

or book a vacation where terorist attacks aren't happening consistently?

I'm in complete and utter shock and sadness for the poor people Europe I feel so incredibly bad for them it's like it doesn't stop...

Are people really this dumb? Are you aware that's much more likely to due shot in the US than killed in a terror attack in europe? Or is this all a big troll form people saying they won't go in europe because of safety concern when they live in countries that are much more dangerous? I feel like i'm taking crazy pills

I'm never going to to Europe again at this rate.
Do we really need the same ignorant US-centric comments every time a negative news about Europe comes out? "I'm never going to London", "I'm never going to Paris", "I'm never going to Greece". Jeez, stay in your safe Murica for all we care.

This is a tragedy and nobody cares about your tourist plans.

Sanjuro

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 8m8 minutes ago
More
The United States condemns the terror attack in Barcelona, Spain, and will do whatever is necessary to help. Be tough & strong, we love you!

MUnited83

For you.
or book a vacation where terorist attacks aren't happening consistently?

I'm in complete and utter shock and sadness for the poor people Europe I feel so incredibly bad for them it's like it doesn't stop...

You're not a particularly bright person, I can tell.
You're hundreds times more likely to be killed by a gun nut in the US than be killed in a terrorist attack in Europe.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
More
The United States condemns the terror attack in Barcelona, Spain, and will do whatever is necessary to help. Be tough & strong, we love you!

I HATE this mother fucker. Not that he condemns this attack, which, let's be real, he doesn't really give a fuck about, but because on domestic soil he won't do the same.

RDreamer

_97427861_barcelona_van_crash_map624.jpg

From BBC. That's a long distance, and probably the busiest section of the business pedestrian area in the city.

Holy motherfuck.

Laiza

You should try this argument in police shootings topics and see how it's received.

edit: there are WAY more then 1000 terrorism deaths world wide per year.
Police shootings are tragedies caused by systemic failures in police training and recruitment. Considering the authority that police are invested in, I am far, FAR more concerned with how reforms can help reduce instances of unnecessary police shootings and abuse than I am with pouring disproportionate resources into fighting radical extremists.

But yes, I mixed up my numbers. I was thinking of the number of deaths by terrorism in the Western sphere. This chart in particular is quite relevant here:
Reminder that Western Europe constitutes some 390m people. Again, a dose of perspective.

Are people really this dumb? Are you aware that's much more likely to due shot in the US than killed in a terror attack in europe? Or is this all a big troll form people saying they won't go in europe because of safety concern when they live in countries that are much more dangerous? I feel like i'm taking crazy pills

It's not being dumb, and they are likely aware of that. Terrorism works on some people specifically because it's not a rational feeling.

More

We don't want your "love" you nazi fuck

You should try this argument in police shootings topics and see how it's received.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

The U.S. has a very, very tangible number of police shooting deaths a year compared to any other country, except maybe South Africa I believe. And I am talking numbers easily 500-1000% higher because of how little it happens vs how often it happens. Plus it has a direct targeting of certain groups and represents a systematic failure of the State.

CSJ

Also need to remind folks that disease (in particular, heart disease) and stroke are still the leading causes of death and that terrorism barely even registers as a blip when it comes to the top killers of human beings.

What is this supposed to convey? How many of those people could've lived long, long lives?
*Here's a useless statistic to show how little deaths happen here in relation to disease*.

Police shootings are tragedies caused by systemic failures in police training and recruitment. Considering the authority that police are invested in, I am far, FAR more concerned with how reforms can help reduce instances of unnecessary police shootings and abuse than I am with pouring disproportionate resources into fighting radical extremists.

But yes, I mixed up my numbers. I was thinking of the number of deaths by terrorism in the Western sphere. This chart in particular is quite relevant here:

Reminder that Western Europe constitutes some 390m people. Again, a dose of perspective.
Jeez, you can pinpoint the 2004 attack in Madrid and the ones on Paris in 2011 and 2015.

I'm never going to to Europe again at this rate.

It's maybe because I'm desensitised because of where I'm from and terrorism always being a constant threat, but I was in Paris about 8 months after the 2015 attacks and I've visted Nice and Barcelona and attacks in both wouldn't put me off going back to either, two of my favourite cities in the world. Don't let these attacks put you off visiting these places because you're only ruining your own experiences by not going. Don't let the terrorists win just because you're afraid.

Mossos‏Verified account @mossos 49s49 seconds ago
More
No hay nadie atrincherado en ningún bar del centro de #Barcelona. Hay un hombre detenido y lo tratamos como atentado terorista

So no hostage situation.

Saying that heart disease and car accidents eclipse terrorist related deaths is obvious but also not exactly helpful.

What strikes people about terrorism is the direct intent to cause harm and death from one human being to another.

Audioboxer

Saying that heart disease and car accidents eclipse terrorist related deaths is obvious but also not exactly helpful.

What strikes people about terrorism is the direct intent to cause harm and death from one human being to another.

Precisely. Is anyone going to be daft enough to walk up to the surviving family of a victim, let alone the parent of a child and say "Did you know statistically they were more likely to die from heart disease or a bad trip and fall?".

Terrorist attacks aren't accidents, nor are they naturally occurring causes of death. It's usually a brutal and sudden loss of life through a calculated and/or planned attack. Often in places where you expect social cohesion and safety in numbers (public spaces/shops/restaurants).

Yes, people should always try and live their life and not give into fear, but it can just be a bit tasteless to roll out the "global death statistics" in the wake of a terror attack.

It's helpful because people freaking out about terrorism is exactly what the terrorists want. To disrupt the way you live your life with fear. Anything i can do, even as a nameless voice on the internet, to dispel any notions of power they might posses, is helping a million times more the halfheartedly saying to cry for the victims.

Dehnus

But him staying home due to terrorist attacks is better? Also you are more likely to be shot by a crazy Yosemite Sam Look alike.... oh wait "Police officer" in the USA than to die of a Terror attack in Europe.

So... you might as well stay inside completely then.

gcubed

Jesus. That was a long ride, I would assume near the end of that path at least you are aware and hopefully can get out of the way. The indiscriminate killing is just awful.

Those concrete car stoppers are going to be everywhere.

It's helpful because people freaking out about terrorism is exactly what the terrorists want. To disrupt the way you live your life with fear. Anything i can do, even as a nameless voice on the internet, to dispel any notions of power they might posses, is helping a million times more the halfheartedly saying to cry for the victims.

But him staying home due to terrorist attacks is better? Also you are more likely to be shot by a crazy Yosemite Sam Look alike.... oh wait "Police officer" in the USA than to die of a Terror attack in Europe.

So... you might as well stay inside completely then.

In that sense it is helpful yes. But in another sense my Grandmother still wont go on planes ever because of 9/11 despite driving every day, and we all know how likely you are to die in a plane crash as opposed to a car crash.

It might seem irrational (and largely is) but higher profile incidents cause more fear, which is the end goal of terrorism, basically.

Laiza

THANK YOU!

I mean, I get it, the intent makes is so much more obviously evil and malicious, which is quite chilling to think about, but at the same time there is no rational reason to consider these actions any more of a threat to your individual well-being than drowning or dying in a car accident.

And that's what I'm trying to get across here. We need rationality in the face of such incredible evil or we just end up playing into their hands.

In that sense it is helpful yes. But in another sense my Grandmother still wont go on planes ever because of 9/11 despite driving every day, and we all know how likely you are to die in a plane crash as opposed to a car crash.

That's actually a perfect example of the power terrorists gain over the minds of people, and why i post the "heartless" way i do.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
My thoughts and prayers to everyone affected. 🕊

spainxmyrr.png

Top Bottom