• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At least thirteen dead as van hits crowds in Barcelona

I'm seriously considering canceling my Barcelona/London/Paris trip coming up in October - it's like all he signs are telling me no.

Unbelievable I can't ...

My HEART is out to all the victims

I mean I cant blame you for being worried, but the goal of these attacks is to make you afraid, obviously. The other goal is to make the attackers seem much more dangerous then they actually are, like they could strike at any time and anyone could be a potential member.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The one time they engaged in an attack that resulted in mass civilian casualties was the bombing of a supermarket in Barcelona in 1987 and ETA apologized for that as a "mistake" (some mistake, right?).
This is factually incorrect, unless you are ignoring the civilians (many of them children) killed in the attacks against the Guardia Civil garrisons in Zaragoza and Vic, the Vallecas car bomb and many others. ETA never gave a fuck about civilian casualties. If you were Spanish and in their path, you were fair game.

It was that attitude what destroyed whatever sympathy they had. The 11M bombings basically sealed their fate by amplifying the horror. Islamist terror basically destroyed ETA by proxy.

RDreamer

I'm seriously considering canceling my Barcelona/London/Paris trip coming up in October - it's like all he signs are telling me no.

Unbelievable I can't ...

Don't let them win, man. I know it's easy to be scared especially right when this shit happens but realistically it does happen very infrequently. The chances of you getting in one of these attacks is so low. You probably have a greater chance in a random car accident at home or something. The chances of you having a wonderful trip meeting locals and seeing the wonderful things those cities have to offer is almost 100%, though. Support the people there and show the terrorists they can't win and go.

Ourobolus

Banned
I'm seeing 1 dead, 32 injured on MSNBC now.

Fucking hell it's new shit every day. Hopefully they get these cowards. Horrible stuff.

Seriously, Some are saying that it could ETA? Are you out of your mind?

One week ago, the tourismphobia movement complained that Las Ramblas was more overcrowded than ever. They have picked exactly the place where the carnage would be the worst.

And to think many people were coming to vacation in Spain because it was seen as safer than other EU countries... There's no words for such cruelty.

I'm personally saying let's get the facts from the authorities before rushing to judgement.

Unbelievable I can't ...

Don't live your life in fear. Those cities have millions of residents. You have a 99.9% chance of being fine.

MKIL65

Nobody is saying it WASN'T ISIS or ETA, or whatever.

Anyone is capable of operating a vehicle, and weapons can be acquired.

Wait for the facts to come in.

Since hearing this news I have been lethargic to the point of detached. Like, I don't feel fully in my body anymore. I just can't take any more bad news and it feels like I've officially broken.

I have no faith in this world or this species anymore.

tauroxd

or book a vacation where terorist attacks aren't happening consistently?

I'm in complete and utter shock and sadness for the poor people Europe I feel so incredibly bad for them it's like it doesn't stop...

It is not like this happens everyday of the week in Spain... Not even in all of Europe. It doesn't even happens once a week. This things are not that common but they sure hit hard every time they happen.

I'm personally saying let's get the facts from the authorities before rushing to judgement.

This is not ETA's modus operandi. They barely have any resources left. They would have supported Catalonia's independentist movement, in any case, so no point in attacking. Stop trolling.

I'm in complete and utter shock and sadness for the poor people Europe I feel so incredibly bad for them it's like it doesn't stop...

Stop this.
Consistently?
Europe is still incredibly safe on average. Safer than the US for the most part.
Don't let your fear ruin some great experience you could have.

This nonsense has been discussed several times already in this thread. Europe is one of the safest areas in the world to travel in.

This is not ETA's modus operandi. They barely have any resources left. They would have supported Catalonia's independentist movement, in any case, so no point in attacking. Stop trolling.

I never once named ETA so I'm not sure why you are so defensive. I said we shouldn't be quick to blame anyone as it could be many different factions.

ecosse_011172

Spain has over 1000 traffic related deaths per year, were you planning on going there and avoiding walking, buses and taxis?

Calm down and be rational, you are far, far more likely to die going about your daily life than being killed by terrorists when on holiday in Europe.

Ugh, monsters.

I'm going to Europe/Mediterranean for my first ever overseas vacation in December. Do I have to be worried about this shit? Geeeez.

Yeah, you should just avoid the entire continent. /s

Dude, no. Go to wherever you wanna go. This thing is constantly brought up and contributes to lies like British "no-go zones" - it simply doesn't reflect the everyday life we live.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I never once named ETA so I'm not sure why you are so defensive. I said we shouldn't be quick to blame anyone as it could be many different factions.

Because when it comes to "local extremist groups" capable of terrorism, they're the only game in town. Or rather were.

Jesus fucking Christ. Welcome to the new world where terrorism is the new cancer. RIP to the victims. Barcelona is such a wonderful place to visit.

Labadal

So, at least 13 dead seems to be the current number as the topic says. Several wounded.

This is all kinds of messed up.

yepyepyep

So sad. I visited Spain for the first time earlier in the year; in fact, when I arrived back from my flight in London at Liverpool St Station, the London bridge attack was going on :(

For what its worth, Spain is a very beautiful country with kind and friendly people. Stay safe people of Barcelona.

JCH!

Police are saying not to leave our houses but hospitals are asking for blood donations. Don't know what to do.

Is the 13 number confirmed? Most of the sources I see only say one death at the moment, and I'm really hoping it doesn't rise above that.

Top Bottom