• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At least thirteen dead as van hits crowds in Barcelona

valkyre

Was walking down that street 2 months ago... pray for all the injured and victims...

Fuck those hideous creatures responsible...

This is horrible, I knew this could happen in my city and police did a good job preventing it up to this day.

I just want to get to my house and mourn all these unjustified deaths.

There's always been terrorism though...

"One death is a tragedy"... but let's be real here

http://www.datagraver.com/case/people-killed-by-terrorism-per-year-in-western-europe-1970-2015

People in the west are safer than ever. The omnipresence of the internet, social media and cameras allows everyone to view nearly every death in detail. That does NOT mean crime, terrorism, or violence are on the rise when you look at trends measured in years.
Don't give in to fear, that's what they want!

sflufan

Banned
It's a shame that rumours are saying he was caught alive.

That is a very incorrect stance to take. You WANT as many of these individuals captured alive in order to interrogate them to obtain information of their potential connections to larger operational cells.

Fucking goofy looking cunt, what a cowardly piece of shit. Killing mother's and their children for what? It's a shame that rumours are saying he was caught alive.

Why? He needs to be questioned so they can catch others like him. Better to see him behind bars for the rest of his motherfucking life than taking the easy way out and dying a quick death. These people are prepared for that. Hell, they even want that. They'd rather die than face jail.

That is a very incorrect stance to take. You WANT as many of these individuals captured alive in order to interrogate them to obtain information of their potential connections to larger operational cells.

Okay, but take them out after and shoot them in the head.

Laiza

http://www.datagraver.com/case/people-killed-by-terrorism-per-year-in-western-europe-1970-2015

People in the west are safer than ever. The omnipresence of the internet, social media and cameras allows everyone to view nearly every death in detail. That does NOT mean crime, terrorism, or violence are on the rise when you look at trends measured in years.
Also need to remind folks that disease (in particular, heart disease) and stroke are still the leading causes of death and that terrorism barely even registers as a blip when it comes to the top killers of human beings.

Terrorism is highly visible, which is the entire point, but it is NOT anywhere close to unseating cancer when it comes to death count.
Not that I can't understand your anger, but this is thoroughly uncivilized behavior. We have a justice system and they will go through the justice system like everyone else. Anything else is to spit in the face of modern civilized society for the sake of revenge, making you very little better than they are.
Stick them in a cell for life and let them and the other violent offenders spend eternity making each other's lives hell. These guys would like nothing more than an easy death
.... I need to stop reading these threads.

This is not how prison should work. This is not how justice should work. And yet here we are, making these same bloodthirsty comments in every thread...

Okay, I may have been a bit emotional after seeing that video of the
woman lying dead with her child
. I have slightly calmed down.

Kevdo

Oh man. My brother and his wife live there. They're fine, thankfully, but I can't imagine this kind of tragedy striking so close to home.

Okay, I may have been a bit emotional after seeing that video of the
woman lying dead with her child
. I have slightly calmed down.

Its understandable, but revenge sounds good only in the moment. Long term if there was any chance to get information regarding another planned attack or member, you would much rather have that info then his corpse plus more.

Guevara

_97427861_barcelona_van_crash_map624.jpg

From BBC. That's a long distance, and probably the busiest section of the business pedestrian area in the city.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I get that this us predominantly a US forum, but it's really shitty to keep trying to make every tragedy about Trump. People died and are dying, grow up.

"Grow up" because I legitimately wanted to know if the President of the United States issued a statement on a terror attack yet?

Jesus Christ.

or book a vacation where terorist attacks aren't happening consistently?

I'm in complete and utter shock and sadness for the poor people Europe I feel so incredibly bad for them it's like it doesn't stop...
I'm Spanish, and there are many more plausible ways of me dying in a violent way. The threat the terrorists pose is mainly psychological (The name kinda implies it) and if you are from the US there are more chances you'll be murdered than anyone in Western Europe. The US is having its share of terrorism too.

Let the police do their job, follow their instructions, and remain calm. Hysteria is what the terrorists want and Europe is safer than ever.

Here in Spain we had ETA, so people know what the threat is like, and our anti-terrorist systems are very capable. Justice will be done.

Edit: I see one of the terrorists is Moroccan-French, I'm in Morocco and was just talking to my driver about Saudi Arabia financing terrorists... I feel bad for the guy when I'll see him tomorrow. Sadly, young Arab guys coming to Europe and living in bad neighbourhoods are easy prey for brainwashing.

Ferr986

There are aftermath videos around and it's not going to be one.

I live 10 mins walk from there, this hits me very close. Fuck these lunatics.

Sucks to hear that. I live around 40-50 mins from there but I have family and friends. Thankfully no one was in Barcelona today.

Also need to remind folks that disease (in particular, heart disease) and stroke are still the leading causes of death and that terrorism barely even registers as a blip when it comes to the top killers of human beings.

As every death is registered as being caused by some sort of disease only discovering eternal life can reduce this. It's a ridiculous argument that can make even the Holocaust seem like no big deal compared to the 131 million that die each year. Donald Trump could nuke all of North Korea and it would just be a small portion of yearly deaths.

Laiza

Force him to do charity work for LGBT communities around the world for the rest of his life
Exactly.

We can have these people doing useful things to serve as reparations for the damage they have done. Throwing them into a jail cell to rot or for torturous retribution (think about how bloodthirsty you sound, folks) doesn't help anyone and is simply needlessly vindictive for the sake of it.

As every death is registered as being caused by some sort of disease only discovering eternal life can reduce this. It's a ridiculous argument that can make even the Holocaust seem like no big deal compared to the 131 million that die each year. Donald Trump could nuke all of North Korea and it would just be a small portion of yearly deaths.
The only reason I say it is because people always need a heavy dose of perspective every time a major terrorist attack makes the news.

Again, they're highly visible but the death count each year rarely ever breaks the three digit mark worldwide. People give far more weight to these things than they deserve.

But terrorism, at least in Europe, has been on the rise the past couple of years.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Sometime the police give incorrect or 'developing' facts to the press on purpose. You tell someone they've only killed one person so far and have a chance of being free someday they are more likely to give up peacefully.

Now I 100% believe that does NOT apply in this case because these terrorists wanted to cause as much damage as possible, but who knows the police's reasoning.

We just saw recently how upset England was with the US over leaking facts about the bridge/parliament attack.

Leaking facts early helps no one.

dracula_x

Pretty much.

Killing them won't solve the problem.

Force him to do charity work for LGBT communities around the world for the rest of his life

^ and that's actually a good idea

Business

Fucking goofy looking cunt, what a cowardly piece of shit. Killing mother's and their children for what? It's a shame that rumours are saying he was caught alive.

Apparently there's more than one, others are still on the loose. A second van was found in Vic, some 60 kms north, that's where they look for them now.

Ferr986

Exactly.

We can have these people doing useful things to serve as reparations for the damage they have done. Throwing them into a jail cell to rot or for torturous retribution (think about how bloodthirsty you sound, folks) doesn't help anyone and is simply needlessly vindictive for the sake of it.

What kind of charity a radicalized terrorist could do though? Anything that doesn't involve them getting closed is a risk for civilians.

Exactly.

The only reason I say it is because people always need a heavy dose of perspective every time a major terrorist attack makes the news.

Again, they're highly visible but the death count each year rarely ever breaks the three digit mark worldwide. People give far more weight to these things than they deserve.

You should try this argument in police shootings topics and see how it's received.

edit: there are WAY more then 1000 terrorism deaths world wide per year.

Top Bottom