• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At this point how can anyone underestimate or deny Microsoft/Xbox?

No. Most of them aren't really far away, no. There's bangers coming this year. Quality wise we have to wait and see. But there are a plethora of games. They just bought l Bethesda for trying out loud. And GP is killing it with content.
I see. I heard entirely different information where games like Perfect Dark, Fable, Elder Scrolls 6, Fallout, etc were really far away, but we’ll see what happens.

Guerilla has the exact same average score as Bathesda, 73. You can pick a single outlier game from most developers that has shit reviews. Not sure what your point is.
300px-Moving_goal.gif

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
If they can deliver 2 to 3 exclusive games this year that are great then they are completely up there with Sony on hardware and software. Then they need to make sure they are consistent year in and out. Sprinkle in some gamepass and they are easily on par with the competition.

Series x is an incredible piece of hardware and offers me true next gen features never seen before in a console like VRR, super fast ssd and quick resume out of the gate.

Every console is dope this time.

Last edited:

Dane

When there's a Series S concern thread: based, it will drag down the generation, microsoft sucks.

When there's a thread saying that Microsoft shouldn't be underestimated: HaS nO gAmEs, please get out of the market and etc...

M16

This no games excuse by Sony fans is the only knock they can use against xbox, but microsoft now has 23 studios(for now,but we know its gonna be much bigger), so this little excuse wont fly for long once these start pumping out. Then what?

Malcolm9

I like how people assume you can’t do both
It seems to be the Gamepass stanners who think that way to be fair.

"Oh look I can play Outriders for freeeeeeee, all you other suckers need to buy it". What like we have always done throughout the years 🤦🏻‍♂️.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
This no games excuse by Sony fans is the only knock they can use against xbox, but microsoft now has 23 studios(for now,but we know its gonna be much bigger), so this little excuse wont fly for long once these start pumping out. Then what?
Forza is the best xbox game, Halo is a shell of its original form back in the day, Gears is a decent game. Those combined you're not really missing anything if skipped, same with the rest of the titles you've mentioned above.

As you can see no good games...

Malcolm9

Groundhog day in here. We hear the same thing every year, if they can use those 23 studios to make top tier quality games then I'll take my hat off to them, but it's always the same "let's wait and see" approach.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
It seems to be the Gamepass stanners who think that way to be fair.

"Oh look I can play Outriders for freeeeeeee, all you other suckers need to buy it". What like we have always done throughout the years 🤦🏻‍♂️.

Forgive me dunno what a stanner is but personally I think Gamepass is awesome and I bought outriders. Only suckers are the ones that bought that game without a way to refund it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

LordCBH

Pretty much the only thing that remains to be seen is if they can actually manage these studios, because they don’t have a great history of studio management.

Groundhog day in here. We hear the same thing every year, if they can use those 23 studios to make top tier quality games then I'll take my hat off to them, but it's always the same "let's wait and see" approach.

You're right, now that they're owned by Microsoft, all these great studios like BGS, ID, Obsidian, Playground, Ninja Theory, etc. etc. will all start making bad-mediocre games out of nowhere. There's no reason to be excited about any of their projects because it's same old Xbox. Maybe, just maybe, the "let's wait and see" approach actually makes sense this time, if all those studios inexplicably fail for some reason then yeah we can probably assume something is going on, but for now the only logical assumption to make given all the facts is that Xbox will have a great first party lineup this generation. Assuming it's "same old Xbox" is the far more biased take given just how much has changed around Xbox in the past 3-4 years

Malcolm9

Forgive me dunno what a stanner is but personally I think Gamepass is awesome and I bought outriders. Only suckers are the ones that bought that game without a way to refund it :messenger_tears_of_joy:
It doesn't suck if they like it though 😉

Last edited:

Edokataki

Banned
Streaming in 10-15 years? I highly doubt it, unless you want to exclude rest of the world out there lol, internet currently is fine stable for videos, downloading, but streaming for video games? naaahhhh still a long way
You can stream now with very good quality if your apartment is in the basement of the provider but if you go in a remote town and try to see a YouTube video that is more than 720-1080p then you have to wait 3days to buffer it. Some people speak about streaming like everyone is leaving in a big city and that city is the whole world when there many places in Europe that don't have good internet at all and the same applies to America also I think. Streaming is the future but a very distant future (over 15years)

Akuji

And even with sony´s track record, they are not immune to fuck-ups. Let's not forget Driveclub, The Order, the canceled game from Santa Monica, Uncharted 4 trouble development, japan studio situation, Polyphony slow ass development cycle. Just to name some examples.
yeah exactly and still they bring awesome games every year, atleast 3 years into a generation. Doubt this time will be diffrent.

Microsoft on the other hand ...

BUT alot of money thrown at the game problem. Lets see what will happen. If the games are coming i might consider a XSX or the "pro" version mid gen. Have a powerfull PC with a 3080 but a Console is easier to setup to play comfy for big RPGs which i enjoy more with controller anyway.
Luckily these Consoles are pretty damn powerfull and produce gorgous Games. For me atleast the power chase is somewhat over. I want games like tlou2 graphics at 60fps for a controller solution. 120 is better but im not changing my Setup to 120hz anytime soon. Projectors with that refresh rate are not that common.
On PC with mouse input, please 1000hz, its just so much more direct. Rocking 4k 120hz right now and its alright but i would not say no to 240 or 360hz.

also fast internet is coming ... fast. Starlink will be enormous. It will have latency okay for 3rd person single player games and MAYBE even for decent 1st person shooter. Its really incredible. Right now only the internet is in Space but you could put the servers at space as well making for an insanely great latency solution. Also its super cheap to do. Just launch a few thousend satelites and your done. Instead of doing millions of km/miles of digging for cable replacement or for cables in the 1st place.

Last edited:

Malcolm9

Liking something doesn’t excuse the train wreck the launch was. All this hand waving fucked up broken games is why we keep getting them.
I'm not hand waving a messed up launch, just saying I can't stand people waving Gamepass in the face of people who are happy to buy games in the normal manner.

You can stream now with very good quality if your apartment is in the basement of the provider but if you go in a remote town and try to see a YouTube video that is more than 720-1080p then you have to wait 3days to buffer it. Some people speak about streaming like everyone is leaving in a big city and that city is the whole world when there many places in Europe that don't have good internet at all and the same applies to America also I think. Streaming is the future but a very distant future (over 15years)

I'm not saying one way or another, but 15 years is a massive amount of time technologically speaking. 15 years ago Android and Iphone hadn't been invented yet (or at least announced), over the air TV was still in standard def, the internet was still in a rather early state as myspace was the real only social media that existed and youtube was a year old. There are a lot of other technology that have changed in the past 15 years that are too much to list, but more just saying this to mean that there could easily be some technological breakthrough (maybe 5g is it) that allows streaming to become the standard in much less than 15 years,

I don't think anyone can deny that Xbox is progressing.

BUT

- Their games somehow don't speak to me. I think it's mostly due its art direction. Playstation games often seem a lot more creative, coherent and polished. Nintendo games often have a certain charm to them. When I think of Xbox games, generic art direction comes to mind.

- Yes tons of studios, but what have they shown? Let alone released.

- Great value with Gamepass absolutely. But it doesn't cater to me. I'd rather have great games which I can support by just buying and owning them than be under pressure having to finish them in time before they get taken out of gamepass again. Plus, I rather immerse myself in great grand games than smaller hit and miss games. It all comes down to time and energy. My analogy would be the difference between the theater and Netflix. Theater is when you are excited for a film and you go to the cinema to experience it in all its glory. While Netflix you have to spend time to browse through all the shitty ones and play them just to find out its not completely for you and stopping halfway through and be disappointed again and again. Plus let's not kid ourselves, once Xbox gets confirmation of Gamepass' validity, they will increase its price.

- Marketing somehow comes across as very disingenuous when it comes to Xbox. I can't put my finger on why exactly. I just remember that they've made countless statements, only just to backtrack again moments later.

- Lack of creativity and extreme milking out off existing franchises. Not only that but when it comes to quality, aside from Forza, the others seem mediocre at best.

Conclusion:
Yes Xbox is working hard, but only out of necessity. Whereas Playstation has proven its track record every single generation in the above mentioned points besides the PS3 Era, Xbox has yet to release anything of great impact for me personally. These are just my thoughts and doesn't mean this is how it is objectively. Regardless, it's good that Xbos is stepping up. More competition would only benefit us gamers more and more.

Pidull

I'm still waiting for Microsoft to prove they don't destroy their developer talent.

Bungie? Gone.
Lionhead? Killed after they tried to push them down an odd Kinect/multiplayer path.
Rare? Hasn't made a blockbuster since Perfect Dark.
Ensemble? No longer a part of Microsoft's Age of Empire.

Hopefully Microsoft turns it around with their studios, but it doesn't look good when they're best studio is probably Playground Games.

Xbox is in a good position. That's all there is to say. No need to praise it more or less. Not claiming there are a bunch of games out for the system now. Sadly, the people saying that all they see is more empty promises and no games for the system are being intentionally obtuse.The people that think the Xbox One gen is Microsoft's status quo are being purposefully forgetful. The Xbox had good games. The Xbox 360 had good games.

It all comes down to personal preference and once again a lot of people are using the "because I don't like the games on Xbox One personally then they must all be bad or not exist" argument. For me, Sunset Overdrive, Halo 5, Halo TMCC, and both Ori games were more than enough to justify my purchase and interest in an Xbox One.

I like how games such as killer Instinct and Titanfall are completely glossed over. Sea of Thieves? Doesn't count. Quantum break? Not one of remedy's best games so it doesn't count. Dead Rising 3 doesn't count. State of Decay 1/2 don't count. Halo Wars is one of the few RTS games you can find on a console. Doesn't count... Cuphead? Doesn't count because MS brought it to the switch. Forza doesn't exist and none of the Gears games do either. Grounded? Doesn't exist. Unless it's a 3rd person cinematic experience apparently it doesn't exist.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
blind fanboyism. that's why people won't take MS serious. this forum is heavily biased towards Sony.

this is the first generation in 25 years i've not bought a Playstation. MS really impressed me over the last few years and with the Series X reveal. their approach to backwards compatability blows Sony out the water who can only support last gen games. Gamepass is a huge deal and great value. Xbox actually, for me, has more exclusives that I'm interested in. There's like 2 games for PS5 so far that I want to play whereas Xbox has at least 6. Also, MS buying out Zenimax means Xbox will be the best (or ONLY) place to play future Elder Scrolls/Fallout/Doom games.
It's not blind fanboyism to wait and see the results before buying a XSX. Sony just came better prepared with the PS5 and they have the better track record

Last edited:

xray49er

What I meant earlier about games is more akin to exclusive games. I currently play my Xbox more than my ps5 but that will probably end with returnal then ratchet. I think they just need to release more exclusive games. I wasn't saying there aren't any games I just meant exclusives. Sorry for the confusion

PlayStation Studios is a well-oiled machine founded two decades ago. Its market value would be around $25 bn. On top of that, console gaming is synonymous with PlayStation in most countries.

And with Sony breaking records and building a cash war chest to pursue inorganic growth, if needed, time is running out.
Somebody call Phil its all over 😅 Sony have a Warchest now do they? Its more like a money box in comparison to Microsoft 😆 PS division has been treading water for years, where Phil has been laying the groundwork for the future. Gamepass is growing rapidly, Xcloud is expanding, Xbox game studios now dwarf PS game studios. Only a moron would say time is running out for Xbox, in fact I'd say it's quite the opposite.

Sw0pDiller

Underestimate? Because they overpromised and underdelivered that last 8 years. Deny? Nobody denies microsoft's existence. If you feel that way maybe you are too deep in this console war thing. Me as a playstation gamer and owner is a ps5 am very happy with the existence of Microsoft. Their steps towards a bigger market share forces Sony to become even better for customers. Just like the ps4 did for xbox one owners.

Nubulax

😂 that image lol but yeah I'm still amazed how Sony ended so strong and was still ready with new stuff for the PS5 launch

Its amazing to me how strong 2020 was and how 2021 looks to be pretty strong as well. What exactly was MS doing all this time, its truly amazing to me how they literally have almost nothing exclusive this year. Even flight sim only released on PC what is taking so long for it to come to the Series X, its still not on it, should have been a launch game along with Halo but they bungled both of those on Console apparently.

Im still cautious about getting into the xbox ecosystem, and will be interesting how they bounce back in 2022. Im still not sold on Starfield being an exclusive if its going to release this year or early 2022 and who knows about the rest of Bethesda games despite what has been said.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Its amazing to me how strong 2020 was and how 2021 looks to be pretty strong as well. What exactly was MS doing all this time, its truly amazing to me how they literally have almost nothing exclusive this year. Even flight sim only released on PC what is taking so long for it to come to the Series X, its still not on it, should have been a launch game along with Halo but they bungled both of those on Console apparently.

Im still cautious about getting into the xbox ecosystem, and will be interesting how they bounce back in 2022. Im still not sold on Starfield being an exclusive if its going to release this year or early 2022 and who knows about the rest of Bethesda games despite what has been said.
Those are some good points! I really didn't expect Flight Simulator to take this long and I thought Halo Infinite was going to be one of the best looking games we've ever seen but I should've known better. The last few years of the XB1's life was very dry so they should have had plenty of new launch titles

assurdum

Banned
Can anyone delight me what's exactly is the argument in this thread? Because I literally don't understand what the OP (and many Xbox fans) want to discuss about. The only thing I believe to get it (approximately) is neogaf it's a Sony fanboy forum and not want admit how much good are the MS strategies for the next generation (which frankly it's really debatable.)

Last edited:
I love how people find buying games normally is no longer a thing because of Gamepass. Some of us want to own our games and are happy to buy them day one if needed, if not we can wait for a sale etc; you know like gaming has been the last few decades.
Lots of people don't know this but Game pass does not prevent anyone from buying games. It's similar to Netflix but unlike Netflix you can purchase any title on Game pass with a discount. Purchasing games is not a PlayStation exclusive.

Can anyone delight me what's exactly is the argument in this thread? Because I literally don't understand what the OP (and many Xbox fans) want to discuss about. The only thing I believe to get it (approximately) is neogaf it's a Sony fanboy forum and not want to admit how much genial are the MS strategies for the next generation (which frankly it's really debatable.)
Just a thread about checking that everybody knows that MSFT/Xbox is all about: Much games, Most power console, So Next Gen, Biggest warchest, Elitest accesories, Schlongest Phillosis...

Last edited:
this forum is a Sony jerk off echo chamber, of course you'll find threads denying Microsoft constantly.

I'd recommend anyone to get off the forums for a bit and just play the freaking games.
Oh dear, if this forum scares you then you better not go outside. Because the rest of the world outside the US barely recognize Xbox as a thing,

It's like how Sega Saturn sold well in Japan but died everywhere else.

Top Bottom