• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At this point Microsoft next controller should have a IMU just to keep up with the standard even if they don't have big plans for it.

onQ123

Phones , Tablets , Wii , Wii U , PS3 , Vita , 3DS , PS4 , Switch all have IMUs for some type of motion controls.

PlayStation is about to go into their 3rd generation of standard controllers with IMUs & it will be the 5th if you include Vita & the PS Move controllers there is no reason why MS should leave motion controls completely out of Scarlett's controller .

thelastword

Banned
Phones , Tablets , Wii , Wii U , PS3 , Vita , 3DS , PS4 , Switch all have IMUs for some type of motion controls.

PlayStation is about to go into their 3rd generation of standard controllers with IMUs & it will be the 5th if you include Vita & the PS Move controllers there is no reason why MS should leave motion controls completely out of Scarlett's controller .
Don't worry, I think the surprise MS has for Sony is going to go like this;

Phil comes on stage:

That XBOX annoucer I like so much ushers him in, and goes; We are proud to announce another XBOX exclusive, Phil holds it up in his hands with that deftly smirk intact.....Here is the new....

Kinect 3.0: with...... Milo Reborn, New Star Wars game. American Fitness.....

Phil says, didn't see that coming huh! and exits stage.......Now that's your new motion controls from MS...…..

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Thanks i had no damn clue what an IMU was.

5d31dff836e03c28ef338ee2

Yall are nerds 🤣

-Arcadia-

Banned
I agree, but will we even see it used? The PS4 controller, to my knowledge, can do everything the Switch controller can, yet we only ever see one of those put to work, even when the game is on both systems.

It’s a shame, because motion controls don’t have to, and shouldn’t be, a ‘Nintendo thing’. Making them optional, makes some gamers very, very happy, and frankly, makes aiming controls much, much better.

Last edited:

onQ123

Rather they concern themselves with core things than gimmicks again no thanks.

Today motion controls are just as core to most people as a dpad , analog thumb sticks & shoulder buttons /triggers .

None of those things were standard when I 1st played a video game but for the generation that's coming along phones /tablets , PlayStation & Nintendo consoles will be their 1st encounter with gaming & they have motion controls.

Gyro-assisted aiming in every controller is the way forward, since so-called "hardcore" console gamers rejected the superior IR aiming option.

If you're referring to the Wiimote then I think not having a right analog stick to help in turning the view itself was unfortunate.

That and playing with sunlight shining onto the sensor bar was a huge nono.

CeeJay

but for the generation that's coming along phones /tablets , PlayStation & Nintendo consoles will be their 1st encounter with gaming & they have motion controls.
And how many big hit games on those platforms mandate motion controls?

Freeman76

Fuck all that shit, leave it to Nintendo its their arena really. Sony hardly ever utilise it, and when they do its hardly accurate anyway. Waste of effort.

Shifty

Damn straight, OP.

Unfortunately it seems like the damage done by Wii waggle is still echoing years upon years later, whereby we have 'hardcore' console gamers clowning on precise modern motion controls while conveniently forgetting how garbage analogue sticks are for turning a camera.

The gimmicky usages like 'shake the controller to soothe BB' or 'shake the controller to QTE' can die though.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

Don't worry, I think the surprise MS has for Sony is going to go like this;

Phil comes on stage:

That XBOX annoucer I like so much ushers him in, and goes; We are proud to announce another XBOX exclusive, Phil holds it up in his hands with that deftly smirk intact.....Here is the new....

Kinect 3.0: with...... Milo Reborn, New Star Wars game. American Fitness.....

Phil says, didn't see that coming huh! and exits stage.......Now that's your new motion controls from MS...…..
1/10 try harder

If you're referring to the Wiimote then I think not having a right analog stick to help in turning the view itself was unfortunate.

That and playing with sunlight shining onto the sensor bar was a huge nono.
It was flawed tech, I agree completely, but these are issues that have more-or-less been solved by the Wiimote's successors in the VR market. Perhaps someday it'll come full circle and VR will finally drag first-person console games out of the dual-analog bronze age.

I agree, but will we even see it used? The PS4 controller, to my knowledge, can do everything the Switch controller can, yet we only ever see one of those put to work, even when the game is on both systems.

It’s a shame, because motion controls don’t have to, and shouldn’t be, a ‘Nintendo thing’. Making them optional, makes some gamers very, very happy, and frankly, makes aiming controls much, much better.

I've come across comments that DS4 has the same capabilities as Wii U's gamepad and Switch Joy/Procon.

In my experience, I had frequent drifting when I tried the Blue Estate demo on PS4.

I've also tried laying my controllers still on a surface in Paladins and the PS4 version would have this little bit of nonstop spazzing on the reticle whilst the Switch didn't have this issue.

It could be a hardware or software issue or even just my DS4 being wonky but like you said, it is a shame that the gyro control is so underused since it still can work well for plenty of things and create interesting experiences.

Ar¢tos

I enjoyed the motion controls in Flower and Tearaway (vita version). It's nice when done well, but doing it well is the hardest part.
If it's just for emotes (dark souls, Bloodborne), meh don't bother...

It was flawed tech, I agree completely, but these are issues that have more-or-less been solved by the Wiimote's successors in the VR market. Perhaps someday it'll come full circle and VR will finally drag first-person console games out of the dual-analog bronze age.

Yea I'm ignorant of what the VR space has advanced in terms of hardware for player inputs but I imagine simply having a second stick on the pointer would work wonders.

I have to say that one benefit of gyro as used in the Wii U gamepad or Switch procon is that having both hands on the device allows more stability. My hand shakes a bit too much when single-wielding and I tend to have my motion sensitivities set higher than default.

Yea I'm ignorant of what the VR space has advanced in terms of hardware for player inputs but I imagine simply having a second stick on the pointer would work wonders.

I have to say that one benefit of gyro as used in the Wii U gamepad or Switch procon is that having both hands on the device allows more stability. My hand shakes a bit too much when single-wielding and I tend to have my motion sensitivities set higher than default.
Yeah I'll concede that having two hands gripping the controller is a bit more stable.

My ideal VR console controllers would be something like the Joycons but with better buttons and whatever extra sensors are needed to make them 1:1 in VR. I want controls that can attach to a central grip to play traditional games while also able to split off and be held akimbo (which is the standard for VR control schemes, one motion controller in each hand)..

onQ123

I've come across comments that DS4 has the same capabilities as Wii U's gamepad and Switch Joy/Procon.

In my experience, I had frequent drifting when I tried the Blue Estate demo on PS4.

I've also tried laying my controllers still on a surface in Paladins and the PS4 version would have this little bit of nonstop spazzing on the reticle whilst the Switch didn't have this issue.

It could be a hardware or software issue or even just my DS4 being wonky but like you said, it is a shame that the gyro control is so underused since it still can work well for plenty of things and create interesting experiences.

DS4 was made with the hope of the PS4 Eye being a standard with all PS4's but I think the tech should be there for them to rely fully on the controller this time around.

Last edited:
Yeah I'll concede that having two hands gripping the controller is a bit more stable.

My ideal VR console controllers would be something like the Joycons but with better buttons and whatever extra sensors are needed to make them 1:1 in VR. I want controls that can attach to a central grip to play traditional games while also able to split off and be held akimbo (which is the standard for VR control schemes, one motion controller in each hand)..

Yea what you want is something I've been hoping Nintendo would do ever since the reveal: higher spec "pro-joycons" of some sort.

Knowing how Nintendo tends to operate I imagine I'd have to wait for the tail end of the next gen.

Mista

Banned
I don’t care if they wanna add it to the controller just don’t force me to use it. I don’t wanna shake the controller looking like a bartender.

Microsoft already spends millions just designing the damn thing.

Motion is dead, PS4 games barely use it outside some outlier exclusives./Shared PC games that would use the mouse.

It's about as useful for todays games as the PS2's analog face buttons.

pr0cs

I can't remember the last game I played that used it let alone a game that I thought "this game is so much better with motion controls"
Sorry OP but you're wrong

Shmunter

I can't remember the last game I played that used it let alone a game that I thought "this game is so much better with motion controls"
Sorry OP but you're wrong
Agreed. It only comes into its own is in vr. The ds4 comes to life often in a crazy fashion, but only in VR.

Also is superb as a steering wheel in vr. But again lame in 2d.

No vr, no need for motion really. Unless the fact that its universal on all consoles may mean more devs will experiment.

onQ123

Microsoft already spends millions just designing the damn thing.

Motion is dead, PS4 games barely use it outside some outlier exclusives./Shared PC games that would use the mouse.

It's about as useful for todays games as the PS2's analog face buttons.

That's the point of MS adding it to the next console so they can stop holding back progression.

onQ123

Agreed. It only comes into its own is in vr. The ds4 comes to life often in a crazy fashion, but only in VR.

Also is superb as a steering wheel in vr. But again lame in 2d.

No vr, no need for motion really. Unless the fact that its universal on all consoles may mean more devs will experiment.

The reason it's better when you're playing a VR game is because it becomes a absolute tracking position device because the camera is also tracking it & devs know that the camera is there when someone is playing a PSVR game.

Codes 208

You know what the motion controls on my ds4 is used for?

to use poses in bloodborne/ds3. Something i could easily do with two buttons as well.

wow, so revolutionary, its as if im there!

That's the point of MS adding it to the next console so they can stop holding back progression.

MS joining in would not change anything. If it was such a game changer than everyone else would have found a useful way to integrate it by now and haven't for years.

Top Bottom