• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At this point Xbox Series X games better blow everyone's minds!

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I love the back and forth we are seeing with marketing for the upcoming generation. This has definitely happened before in previous generations, but the messaging coming out of camp Microsoft feels more sustained and focused on the core issue of power. To the average consumer they may see a bigger number on paper, but both platforms have a very similar feature set so this would be a weak argument if you couldn't SEE the difference. If you can't see it, then you better be able to FEEL it right? Let's just assume the price difference is negligible because they will likely be within ~$50 of each other given the reluctance to share price from either side -> Xbox needs to put their money where their mouth is and make sure the Xbox Series X looks like it skipped a generation. I'm worried that if the games are too similar in visual fidelity this bravado in tweets and interviews is going to blow back in their face. Now I know the hardcore among us will see a single extra FPS as a chasm so wide that it can't be denied, but the average gamer won't and if they don't see the superior numbers in the videos, they will not be swayed.

“Just Being Honest”- Xbox Boss Claims Advantage Over PlayStation 5

Xbox Boss ‘Felt Good’ After Sony’s PS5 Event

Here's where I get worried. How do you sell feeling? This messaging is the red flag I'm worried about.

Xbox Series X power will be all about 'feel,' says Phil Spencer

If you don't see a higher fidelity then this feeling of power may be about how fast things happen? I seem to remember Sony promising something similar.

jigglet

Banned
If the July event is full of teasers I will be pissed. I want full blowout reveals for every major game. This includes multiplayer. Halo has always previewed campaign then had a separate multiplayer event later. I will be pissed if this is a campaign only event as I don’t give a shit about campaign.

Last edited:

Yams

The
I'm worried that if the games are too similar in visual fidelity this bravado in tweets and interviews is going to blow back in their face. Now I know the hardcore among us will see a single extra FPS as a chasm so wide that it can't be denied, but the average gamer won't and if they don't see the superior numbers in the videos, they will not be swayed.

The audience who closely scrutinizes every small graphical feature and frame drop are also the same audience who pays attention to what Phil or Cerny says. The "average gamer" won't know and won't care. They'll just hear through the grapevine which system is supposedly more powerful and then continue playing FIFA.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I hope to God they stick with 1440p and show off ue5 and hellblade 2 quality visuals instead of the half gen leap down by Sony studios.

Oh and if they don't have gameplay with destruction, massive environmental interaction, and realistic enemy and npc a.ib behavior they can piss off just like Sony devs. No one wants to watch cinematic trailers anymore.

TheAssist

First ask yourself; did Horizon Forbidden West, Gran Turismo 7, Ratchet & Clank, Returnal and Spiderman honestly 'blow your mind' or 'look like they skipped a gen'?

Then ask yourself; if MS showed the same quality but at double the frame rates + better resolution, would you give them credit?

I have to wonder, what people think the difference really means. Lets forget about the SSD speeds for a second, since I guess most of us cant accurately predicts what thats gonna mean for most games. That advantage in TF's is rather small (percentage wise) and will maybe equate to a bit more frames or a bit higher resolution. Double the fps with higher res....yeah no.
In the end, you wont see a big difference on either console unless you really look very hard for it. Some thing will be better handeled on PS5 , others on Series X. It'll be interesting to see who does what, but for 3rd parties I wouldnt expect much.

Also, do people forget that Hellblade 1 was a pretty short AA game with decent but also not amazing graphics and at best serviceable gameplay ? (The motion capture was great). How is everyone expecting Hellblade 2 being that AAA powerhouse.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I hope to God they stick with 1440p and show off ue5 and hellblade 2 quality visuals instead of the half gen leap down by Sony studios.

Oh and if they don't have gameplay with destruction, massive environmental interaction, and realistic enemy and npc a.ib behavior they can piss off just like Sony devs. No one wants to watch cinematic trailers anymore.

That's what Horizon II looked like to you?

GHG

But yet you liked this post from earlier in the thread:

Hellblade is the best looking next gen game we’ve seen thus far.

So which one is it?

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Of the games coming out this year I'm pretty sure Halo Infinite will look better than Spiderman: Miles Morales while running at 60fps.

That's a really tall order. IMO

milesmorales-venom-ps5-legal.original.jpg

When Phil talks about feel, its compared to previous gen. He is not necessarily comparing it to ps5.

Any xbox/pc/gamepass exclusives with high enough quality would seal the deal for a lot of people. How will it look like it has skipped the generation when it hasn't?

Also, do people forget that Hellblade 1 was a pretty short AA game with decent but also not amazing graphics and at best serviceable gameplay ? (The motion capture was great). How is everyone expecting Hellblade 2 being that AAA powerhouse.

Nah..Hellblade on my One X at 60fps looks better than almost anything this gen, was one of the best new ip's and only costed 30 bucks.

I'll personally take that (and Ori for that matter) over big budget letdowns we waited eons for like Death Stranding and Days Gone (those are 'triple A' right?) any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I don't care how many A's people think Hellblade 2 is, it's a much deserved sequel that, judging by the trailer, will easily stand out amongst much bigger budget offerings.

Last edited:
I don't think they have to show all their cards like I thought they would since Sony's showing was good not superb. A meaty gameplay demo of Halo, some hellblade 2 gameplay, fable teaser and the initiative teaser should be more than enough. They can show outerwolds dlc. If they show everything it'll be a bit of overkill, but maybe that's what they need to people who aren't day 1 like me.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Look I just don’t like too much talk and this guy Phil is really generating too many words since 2014 about greatness and best lineup, so judging by the history he needs to do actions more than spreading words like “ we have and we got and we feel good after PS5 show “ man it doesn’t work like that ..

now my thoughts on July event .. I expect them not to show all of their cards but at least two new IP with a date and I’m cool with that

Redlight

I love the back and forth we are seeing with marketing for the upcoming generation. This has definitely happened before in previous generations, but the messaging coming out of camp Microsoft feels more sustained and focused on the core issue of power. To the average consumer they may see a bigger number on paper, but both platforms have a very similar feature set so this would be a weak argument if you couldn't SEE the difference. If you can't see it, then you better be able to FEEL it right? Let's just assume the price difference is negligible because they will likely be within ~$50 of each other given the reluctance to share price from either side -> Xbox needs to put their money where their mouth is and make sure the Xbox Series X looks like it skipped a generation. I'm worried that if the games are too similar in visual fidelity this bravado in tweets and interviews is going to blow back in their face. Now I know the hardcore among us will see a single extra FPS as a chasm so wide that it can't be denied, but the average gamer won't and if they don't see the superior numbers in the videos, they will not be swayed.

Being able to 'see it' is a line that will be defended purely according to current allegiances.

If you took the 'average consumer' and showed tham an Xbox One game, then walked them into the next room and showed them the same game on PS4, they would be hard pressed to tell the difference. The PS4 was more powerful (and cheaper, another other main factor) and was marketed as such, would you say that Sony experienced 'blow-back' as a result?

I think not.

MS will be able to market the advantage in power continuously throughout this gen. If you are genuinely not committed to a purchase of a particular brand, then that messaging is a key marketing tool even if the differences aren't massive.

ZywyPL

Banned
Xbox Series X power will be all about 'feel,' says Phil Spencer

If you don't see a higher fidelity then this feeling of power may be about how fast things happen? I seem to remember Sony promising something similar.

You can't feel graphics fidelity, better visuals, but you can feel how smooth everything is, how damn well it controls. MS has been very clear that 60-120FPS is one of their main focuses for their games on next-gen console.

That's what Horizon II looked like to you?

Like a 1000th trailer that has little to do with the actual game... Same for HB2, and many other next-gen games "showed" so far. Seriously, how can you people do this to yourself when the rule is so simple: no HUD = no gameplay.

Mass Shift

I don't think they have to show all their cards like I thought they would since Sony's showing was good not superb. A meaty gameplay demo of Halo, some hellblade 2 gameplay, fable teaser and the initiative teaser should be more than enough. They can show outerwolds dlc. If they show everything it'll be a bit of overkill, but maybe that's what they need to people who aren't day 1 like me.

I'll be Day 1 but I don't need the first few offerings to blow my mind. I just want to see what they're up to with Hellblade, Fable, Forza and of course some of the exclusives they been working on.

I can chew on Halo, Bleeding Edge, Everwild and Cyberpunk, AC Valhalla and Mass Effect remaster while I wait for those.

I know there is some effort being put in the optimized for Series X versions of titles. And playing some older favorites at the top of their performance levels should be a fresh experience.

Hellblade on X1X

XOX_Enriched_004.jpeg

XOX_Enriched_000.jpeg

TLOU2 on PS4 Pro

oseQUbm.jpg

the-last-of-us-part-2-preview-screenshots_t96m.jpg

I think you didn't play enough games for such statement.

It seems you have a reading problem because my statement was that it looks better than ALMOST anything this gen.

The fact that you felt compelled to compare screenshots (lol) of the graphical crown jewel of the ps4 that was in development for 7 years (by Sony's best studio) to a game made by 15-20 people in 3 years actually says a lot more about the talent of Ninja Theory.

But even in that comparison (in action, not screenshots), there's so much more variety in the visuals in Hellblade (particularly in the environments and effects) it's not even funny.
And at 60 fps without any 'filmgrain' (that nobody asks for), the visuals pop and the overall image quality honestly makes TLOU2's image quality look muddy in comparison.

This doesnt mean it has better graphics overall, but Hellblade is a visual achievement in its own right.

But more importantly..look at how Hellblades story was received as opposed to TLOU2's story.
What's more important to you?

But anyway..I can't wait to compare the new Senuas Saga footage to the Horizon 2 footage. :)

Dolomite

Hellblade on X1X

XOX_Enriched_004.jpeg

XOX_Enriched_000.jpeg

TLOU2 on PS4 Pro

oseQUbm.jpg

the-last-of-us-part-2-preview-screenshots_t96m.jpg

I think you didn't play enough games for such statement.
Ellie's face model looked as good as senua's. I'd argue higher poly count but senua's texture takes the cake.

The second shot...I don't see how that helps your argument. HB's foliage is much more detailed, lush, and the lighting is A1. It looks like HDR. There are way better pics from TLOU2 that would trash HB2's

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It seems you have a reading problem because my statement was that it looks better than ALMOST anything this gen.

The fact that you felt compelled to compare screenshots (lol) of the graphical crown jewel of the ps4 that was in development for 7 years (by Sony's best studio) to a game made by 15-20 people in 3 years actually says a lot more about the talent of Ninja Theory.

But even in that comparison (in action, not screenshots), there's so much more variety in the visuals in Hellblade (particularly in the environments and effects) it's not even funny.
And at 60 fps without any 'filmgrain' (that nobody asks for), the visuals pop and the overall image quality honestly makes TLOU2's image quality look muddy in comparison.

This doesnt mean it has better graphics overall, but Hellblade is a visual achievement in its own right.

But more importantly..look at how Hellblades story was received as opposed to TLOU2's story.
What's more important to you?

But anyway..I can't wait to compare the new Senuas Saga footage to the Horizon 2 footage. :)

Here:

Hellblade 2 CGI, in-engine, prerendered trailer made on anonymous hardware:

Senuas-Saga-Hellblade-2-Wallpaper-3840x2160-3-2048x1152.jpg

Horizon Forbidden West running in real-time on PS5

49995809658_9e3764c4b3_o.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom