• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At what price point would you consider it too much for Game Pass?

At what price point would you consider it too much for Game Pass? (Ultimate)

• Current Price, no more

• Above 20

• Above 30

• Above 40

• Above 50

• Above 60

• Above 70+

• Not interested in Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

Banjo64

cumsessed
1. I feel guilty about buying new games when there are about 500 games to play on Game Pass.
Don’t bro. Change your mindset.

If you game on Xbox anyway and play online games, you would have been subscribed to Xbox Live Gold at that cost anyway.

Therefore any game you play is just an added bonus. It’s there to supplement your purchases.
2. There’s such a thing as TOO much choice. I get analysis paralysis.
Don’t browse. You aren’t going to play all 500 games. Wait until you hear about, or see something online, that you definitely want to play.

This year, the only certs that I will play are Tinykin and A Plague Tale Requiem. 2 games that I would have bought if Game Pass didn’t exist. Next year, only Starfield and Wo Long.

3. I feel like the games are somewhat cheapened when playing them on GP. They don’t feel special to me for some reason.
Are you forcing yourself to play things that you wouldn’t usually play, just because they’re included in the service? In that case you are probably just feeling apathy towards the games themselves, not the service.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I just reupped my game pass ultimate this morning. I bought 2 years from best buy (digital code) then a month of gamepass from microsoft, so i got 25 months for like $120

I wish you would have posted before, I could have given you step by step on how to get 3 years for around $100 by getting cheaper XBL cards elsewhere.

Last edited:

Mowcno

I wouldn't pay full price for it now. Luckily through various means I've been subbed for over 3 years for barely anything.

I've paid $1 for 3 months (PC), and I doubt I'd sub unless offered a great promotion like that.

The issue for me isn't the service or the value (even at full price). It's the fact that I have a big backlog and I want to play games I've already bought as well as the fact that I prefer "owning" my games, digital or otherwise. I like to play at my leisure too, and the possibility of a game I'm playing getting pulled isn't a feeling that I like to have while gaming, and I like to be able to go back to an old game/save whenever the mood strikes. I know you can also buy on Gamepass, but you can always find better deals than those discounts.

buenoblue

KvQIfzE.gif

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I just keep redeeming 35,000 reward points for 3 months of GPU.

They stop or nerf that, I’m not paying £12 a month for it. There might be 500 games but either played lots of them already or they have never been my style so less than 5% of those 500 games will ever be touched.

I’m happy for people out there that will play any old tosh to get the best value in gaming though.

I look at what’s just come out for beginning of October. Nothing there I’m going to touch with a shitty stick. My problem but my money also - glad I’ve not spent £12 to not have a single download this month.

Soosa

Banned
You have to take into account vast majority of people do not pay even the basic price, the XBL trick is well known.
Indeed.

I bought series X last december, and then bought 3 years of live gold for ~93€ and then upgraded it to ultimate for 1€.

In my opinion, basic price is too much, to me compared to the amount I really use it.

There are lot of games, but limited time. For the basic price (15,99€?) it would be possible to play similar number of games that I have played from GPU since I got it. I have tested more, but havent really played seriously more than 5-10 games from GPU. Possibly by buying used games/resell them and/or buying from sales.

I also upgraded to ps+ extra for 900 days I had left. Both services are kind of good, and kind of waste of money in the same time.

It is like having 4 different video streaming services, so much that I would like to watch, but there isnt enough time to see them all.

GPU is nice if there is lot of day 1 releases of games I would buy anyway later, but those few are still in the future (starfield&stalker2)

But for ~30€/year it is really good deal. I havent bought any xbox games yet.

Chukhopops

There are lot of games, but limited time. For the basic price (15,99€?) it would be possible to play similar number of games that I have played from GPU since I got it.
There’s no 15.99€ though, in EUR it’s 12.99 for GPU monthly full price.

Basically six months of GPU plus one Snickers = one €79.99 full price game.

cireza

I only bought the subscription because I could get 3 years for 90$. So overall, my answer would probably be that I am not interested.

Jadsey

Don’t bro. Change your mindset.

If you game on Xbox anyway and play online games, you would have been subscribed to Xbox Live Gold at that cost anyway.

Therefore any game you play is just an added bonus. It’s there to supplement your purchases.

Don’t browse. You aren’t going to play all 500 games. Wait until you hear about, or see something online, that you definitely want to play.

This year, the only certs that I will play are Tinykin and A Plague Tale Requiem. 2 games that I would have bought if Game Pass didn’t exist. Next year, only Starfield and Wo Long.

Are you forcing yourself to play things that you wouldn’t usually play, just because they’re included in the service? In that case you are probably just feeling apathy towards the games themselves, not the service.
All good points…You are completely right.

I need to change my outlook a bit.

I think it hasn’t been helped by the complete lack of bangers to play this year. Nothing has really grabbed my attention.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
All good points…You are completely right.

I need to change my outlook a bit.

I think it hasn’t been helped by the complete lack of bangers to play this year. Nothing has really grabbed my attention.

Play PAW Patrol: Grand Prix.

i wonder how people are gonna feel once they cut off the 1 dollar gold conversion.

at 20 dollars a month thats 240 dollars a year, on top of the fact that you will still most likely be buying other 3rd party games and DLC.

Last edited:
Wouldn't that be most people at this point? I know my 2.5 years ran out earlier this year and I can't imagine that most people stack years of Gold.
IDK, I would think a lot of people that jumped in since this gen that are aware of it are still riding high off it.

I know im paying 140 for amazon prime, and that feels like a lot but I couldn't live without amazon at this point in my life. Idk if im paying upfront for a video game subscription the same way knowing im still gonna be buying games outside of it and thats before the inevitable price increase

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
IDK, I would think a lot of people that jumped in since this gen that are aware of it are still riding high off it.

I know im paying 140 for amazon prime, and that feels like a lot but I couldn't live without amazon at this point in my life. Idk if im paying upfront for a video game subscription the same way knowing im still gonna be buying games outside of it and thats before the inevitable price increase

Retention rate from those $1 upgrades would be interesting but I bet it's substantial as most people "set it and forget it" and you have to opt out of autorenewal. I just Microsoft Rewards for GPU. I'm not sure I'd keep the service otherwise.

I actually got rid of prime. It was just too expensive and if I plan my orders right and don't get overly impatient, I can get free shipping with them anyhow.

Last edited:
Top Bottom