• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atari Lynx appreciation thread: Left-Handed Players Welcome!

What's odd is that, now, the GameBoy screen looks kind of better than the Lynx. I have a couple of Lynx systems and a bunch of GameBoys on hand and the Lynx screen just looks really bad. Horrible viewing angles, really bad ghosting, and bad contrast. I could see it being impressive at the time but it's harder to see in some ways compared to the GameBoy. GB is very visible in light and ghosting is actually less severe.

I also think its games often hold up worse. GameBoy platform games are almost entirely 60fps while most Lynx games are far FAR below this. The visuals are more impressive and support features the GB could not offer but they all run worse. :\

Still a neat system, though.

Could be that the screens are not up to par due to age. I know that capacitors go out which causes the screens to whiten and contrast to be horrible. Same thing happened with my Game Gear as well.

Could also be that it was full color and I could play in the dark so I was jaded because I too remember them being amazing compared to the GB screen.

I had this system and one game: Slime World (I think it was called). It was kind of like Metroid, but not as fun. Still, I played it quite a bit. I actually discovered the system via my 3rd grade teacher who would let us play with hers when we had finished all our assignments for the day. I remember playing Pac Land on it and having a pretty good time (then again, anything was better than school work at that time).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Could be that the screens are not up to par due to age. I know that capacitors go out which causes the screens to whiten and contrast to be horrible. Same thing happened with my Game Gear as well.

Could also be that it was full color and I could play in the dark so I was jaded because I too remember them being amazing compared to the GB screen.
Oh, I've definitely considered that possibility and it certainly seems like it might be the case.

I've yet to find one that produces a pleasing image, though. The Game Gear looks a bit better to my eyes, though still not great, as does the Nomad.

The one that I've had the most issues with (cap wise) is the Turbo Express. Had to have it completely recapped as the sound was low and it would often take a while before actually being able to power up.

Bad caps on these old handhelds really sucks, though. That's something the GameBoy doesn't really seem to struggle with either. All of my GameBoy consoles (several phats, some pockets, GBCs, and a GB Light even) all function perfectly. Really impressively put together. I have three Lynx systems - one is busted completely and the other two have less than impressive screens. Playable, but not optimal.

I'd really like to find a Majesco GameGear myself as I believe they use slightly better screens but I've yet to find one. :\ I wish there were a way to use GG carts on a console a la Power Base Converter for Master System or the Super GameBoy.

Honestly, it's the GBC, NeoGeo Pocket Color, Wonderswan Crystal, and original GBA systems that I like the most for their screens. Not backlit, of course, but the trade off is insanely clean motion resolution. The scrolling quality is so good that there is no visible smearing at all - almost like a CRT or something. I suppose it's related to the way the screens worked since they don't use backlights? It's always been a strange thing as the AGS-101 GBA, with its brighter screen, suffers from severe ghosting in comparison as does the DS.

after burner and california games kept me addicted for quite a long time. then i bought the revised model of the lynx.

After burner? Blue Lightning?

I like Checkered Flag. You could choose your cars colours and choose whether to be a male or female driver.

When you win the race, depending on your gender you get a kiss from the male or female swimsuit model. I thought that was pretty cool.

Yep. Although either way the race starts with "Gentlemen, start your engines".

Shaneus

What's odd is that, now, the GameBoy screen looks kind of better than the Lynx. I have a couple of Lynx systems and a bunch of GameBoys on hand and the Lynx screen just looks really bad. Horrible viewing angles, really bad ghosting, and bad contrast. I could see it being impressive at the time but it's harder to see in some ways compared to the GameBoy. GB is very visible in light and ghosting is actually less severe.

I also think its games often hold up worse. GameBoy platform games are almost entirely 60fps while most Lynx games are far FAR below this. The visuals are more impressive and support features the GB could not offer but they all run worse. :

Still a neat system, though.
So, you guys seen the VGA/LCD mod? I saw photos of it (not first-hand, sadly) from a guy who had it done the other day, and it would have to look incredible in person. Not the least, saving an arseload in battery (thanks backlight) and having a VGA-out port.
Just sayin' ;)

AmyS

I've neglected showing any Lynx appreciation, so here is some!

zGoZQnI.jpg
522GsMu.jpg
gd9P4yt.jpg

ZoUqeSN.jpg

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
I've neglected showing any Lynx appreciation, so here is some!

zGoZQnI.jpg
522GsMu.jpg
gd9P4yt.jpg

ZoUqeSN.jpg

Kudos to AmyS for all the excellent magazine scans. Do you have any more Lynx-related scans to share?

Back in 1989, I poured over every page of these issues of EGM, VG&CE and Game Players (not shown here) for every scrap of information about the Atari Lynx. I absolutely loved the system and had great love and respect for Atari, and was hopeful that they could compete against Nintendo's upcoming Game Boy. Unfortunately, those dreams never fully materialized, but I still had a terrific time with the Lynx.

Rampage Deluxe is one of the great Lynx "Holy Grails," as it was among the original Epyx launch titles but was mysteriously cancelled. Only a small handful of photos and video clips of this game survive. I'd like to imagine that some wealthy videogame collector somewhere has a beta copy of the game card hidden away.

How many Atari Lynx fans are there on NeoGAF? Were you a fan from the beginning or did you discover the system more recently? Have you owned the portable or have you only played on the Handy emulator? What are your favorite games? What's your Top Ten? What's your opinion of the Lynx in comparison to later portable systems?

RAIDEN1

The Lynx as with all the other pretenders to the throne just couldn't knock the Gameboy off it's lofty heights....even if it was more powerful...many handhelds came and went yet still nothing could beat Nintendo's black and white NES mini portable (which what the Gameboy was essentially) arguably the system that even could probably have given it serious competition was the Sega Game Gear but even that failed to make a significant dent in Nintendo's handheld market share...

Wish I could remember what happened to mine. Still remember buying my v2 from Babbage's at the mall when I was in 7th grade. Just sucked that nobody else that I knew had one.

Had Blue Lightning, Warbirds, Batman, Ninja Gaiden and a couple of other games before it was all said and done.

Good times.

AdamisFox

Yes, that one :)
I didn't get very far, I wasn't that good with English (I'm Belgian, so my language is French) and, well, the Lynx ate batteries quite fast :p

Pachi72

I had one and best games for it for me was
1. Ninja Gaiden
2. Rygar
3. Blue Lightning [some of the best 3D engine on the system]

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

My own Atari Lynx Top 30:

1. Electrocop
2. California Games
3. Blue Lightning
4. Todd's Adventures in Slime World
5. Warbirds
6. Roadblasters
7. Klax
8. Gauntlet 3
9. Gates of Zendocon
10. Chip's Challenge

11. STUN Runner
12. Shanghai
13. Xenophobe
14. Xybots
15. Robotron: 2084
16. Rampage
17. Zarlor Mercenary
18. Crystal Mines 2
19. Ninja Gaiden
20. Pac-Land

21. Battlewheels
22. Awesome Golf
23. Rygar
24. Joust
25. Turbo Sub
26. Shadow of the Beast
27. Toki
28. Paperboy
29. Dracula: The Undead
30. Super Asteroids/Missile Command

My own preference for Atari Lynx hasn't changed much since the early 1990s. Its best games are 1) the Epyx titles, and 2) the arcade translations. The overall software library is extremely solid, with a great-good-poor ratio that would be the envy of any system. No, the Lynx never had the blockbuster hits of Nintendo or Sega, but it did about as well as was possible at the time, and was respected by all.

wondermega

Lynx was amazing at the time and I treasure the memories to this day. It's simply impossible for unconventional systems with equally esoteric libraries such as Lynx, Virtual Boy, and Vectrex (as well as stand alone game and watch, etc) to exist in today's game industry for so many reasons. That's why it's important to remember them and still discuss them. They may not hold up across the board, but each system has it's fair set of standouts which can still impress technically, and remain just as fun to play now as when they were new.
I'm so happy when old threads like these get rejuvenated on neogaf, or when I discover groups of people who celebrate these classic, antiquated systems on Facebook and such. It's heartening to know that so many people out there still share a love for these things, and that they will never just fade away forever - or at least, not for a while yet.

goldenpp72

While the system was an obvious misfire, I consider it the best attempt Atari made after the 2600. Speaking as a US resident anyways. Good hardware and ideas ahead of the curve all around.

wondermega

While the system was an obvious misfire, I consider it the best attempt Atari made after the 2600. Speaking as a US resident anyways. Good hardware and ideas ahead of the curve all around.
I kind of take issue with labeling it as such - a misfire is something like the Virtual Boy, and not to diss on that system, but it was clearly a failure which it's developer promptly moved past from without looking back. If anything, Lynx signalled a new beginning of sorts for Atari Home Division, from there they felt empowered to move ahead with Panther and ultimately Jaguar development (which was probably more of a misfire, if anything was). At worst Lynx was a curiousity, a pretty bold footnote in history. The tech was powerful, the catalog was both special and in fact quite impressive all things considered. The hardware even saw a second iteration during its lifetime. Overall it's enjoyed a healthy legacy, all things considered. I'm not going to sit here and pretend it had A. tons of support from third parties or B. a wonderful amount of sales (the ultimate metric upon which such things are based, probably) - so yes ultimately it failed, but it certainly was a great time while it lasted.

Last edited:

goldenpp72

I kind of take issue with labeling it as such - a misfire is something like the Virtual Boy, and not to diss on that system, but it was clearly a failure which it's developer promptly moved past from without looking back. If anything, Lynx signalled a new beginning of sorts for Atari Home Division, from there they felt empowered to move ahead with Panther and ultimately Jaguar development (which was probably more of a misfire, if anything was). At worst Lynx was a curiousity, a pretty bold footnote in history. The tech was powerful, the catalog was both special and in fact quite impressive all things considered. The hardware even saw a second iteration during its lifetime. Overall it's enjoyed a healthy legacy, all things considered. I'm not going to sit here and pretend it had A. tons of support from third parties or B. a wonderful amount of sales (the ultimate metric upon which such things are based, probably) - so yes ultimately it failed, but it certainly was a great time while it lasted.

I'd say this is a pretty romantic viewpoint. The system has a solid lineup but it pales in comparison to the other portables it faced on the market. As someone who owns over 7000 physical games I took a particular interest (and have completed buying on) the Lynx some time back, simply because there just aren't that many games that existed for it. I think I own 50 titles for it and I believe something like 70 released on it, and not exactly all of those are gems.

With 3 million units sold, it basically is the next bar for failure next to the likes of the 32x and Virtual boy. Its sales are in line with the Sega CD which is also generally considered a failure/mistake, despite having a pretty fun lineup as well. I feel one can assess the great elements of any system while still understanding what it was. It also was hardly a perfect concept even for the time but it was impressive for sure, just expensive, huge and sucked batteries like nothing else.

The Virtual Boy was a catastrophe, not just a failure, very few things crater like that. I don't mean to crap on this topic though, just defending my statement a bit. By all means its a system that deserves some recognition just because it definitely was bigger in quality than its reputation would lead most to believe. It's also relatively cheap to collect for and has an enthusiastic homebrew scene if I understand correctly.

Last edited:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

I'd say this is a pretty romantic viewpoint. The system has a solid lineup but it pales in comparison to the other portables it faced on the market. As someone who owns over 7000 physical games I took a particular interest (and have completed buying on) the Lynx some time back, simply because there just aren't that many games that existed for it. I think I own 50 titles for it and I believe something like 70 released on it, and not exactly all of those are gems.

With 3 million units sold, it basically is the next bar for failure next to the likes of the 32x and Virtual boy. Its sales are in line with the Sega CD which is also generally considered a failure/mistake, despite having a pretty fun lineup as well. I feel one can assess the great elements of any system while still understanding what it was. It also was hardly a perfect concept even for the time but it was impressive for sure, just expensive, huge and sucked batteries like nothing else.

The Virtual Boy was a catastrophe, not just a failure, very few things crater like that. I don't mean to crap on this topic though, just defending my statement a bit. By all means its a system that deserves some recognition just because it definitely was bigger in quality than its reputation would lead most to believe. It's also relatively cheap to collect for and has an enthusiastic homebrew scene if I understand correctly.

The Atari Lynx was always greatly respected by diehard gamers, old school Atari fans and the industry in general. Magazines like VG&CE, Game Players and EGM were especially fond of the system and promoted it as much as possible. By the time the system was retired, it had only sold 3 million units, but the Gameboy at that point had only sold 10 million. Nintendo's mammoth success with its legendary portable lay still in the future (Pikachu says, "you're welcome").

When you consider all the factors against Atari, including poor distribution (most kids never got to play Lynx because they simply never had the chance), high price (parts suppliers were somewhat vindictive towards Jack Tramiel -- "business is war", indeed), poor battery life and limited available software. Given those restrictions, it's a minor miracle that Lynx even reached three million.

The software situation is easily forgotten today. In the late 1980s, the video arcades were the center of the videogame universe, and Nintendo, thanks to the success of the NES, had a de factor monopoly on the top software developers. That left potential rivals scrambling to find their supple of arcade hits. Sega, of course, had a very strong arcade division and could survive. NEC and Hudson, on the other hand, was left high and dry thanks to Nintendo's software restrictions. No steady supply of arcade hits (apart from a rare success like R-Type) doomed the Turbografx.

Atari Corp was also in a very precarious position, having avoided the arcades entirely since Warner Bros broke Atari Inc into two divisions. Thankfully, their cousins at Atari Games were available and ready to support the Lynx with many of their best arcade classics, such as Roadblasters, Paperboy, Hard Drivin', Klax, Xybots and STUN Runner. However, while these were true arcade hits, they weren't the "A" tier blockbusters on the level of Contra or Double Dragon. Many of these titles were also available on Nintendo platforms, reducing their impact on the Lynx. And once the Atari Games titles finally dried up, the Lynx system, already underfed by a very meager software supply, starved.

By the time that happened, it was 1992, and Sega was ready to launch its Game Gear, which not only had a strong supply of arcade hits, but Sega Genesis blockbusters such as Sonic the Hedgehog and Streets of Rage. Poor Atari just got squeezed out. The Lynx soldiered on for a couple more years, thanks to some badly-needed titles like Battle Wheels, which we fans absolutely went gaga for. But it was too little, too late, and by 1993 Atari was fully invested in the Jaguar.

Meanwhile, there were already about a million games for the Gameboy based on arcade and NES blockbuster hits. Sure, the green screen was blurry and monochrome. Most kids didn't really mind. The games were really, really good, the stereo sound was terrific, and who doesn't love to play Mario and Zelda on the go? Even I finally got on the bandwagon some years later when the Gameboy Pocket was released (with a vastly improved screen). The Lynx slowly faded into myth and legend, like a beloved local band that never made the big time. Such is life.

Agent X

My own preference for Atari Lynx hasn't changed much since the early 1990s. Its best games are 1) the Epyx titles, and 2) the arcade translations. The overall software library is extremely solid, with a great-good-poor ratio that would be the envy of any system. No, the Lynx never had the blockbuster hits of Nintendo or Sega, but it did about as well as was possible at the time, and was respected by all.

This essentially sums up my feelings. I have long said that the Lynx has a great ratio of good vs. bad games. Most of the top games in my book also tend to be either Epyx games or arcade ports. The Lynx also truly excelled at head-to-head multiplayer gaming. I've played many long sessions of California Games, Slime World, Shanghai, Rampage, WarBirds, Checkered Flag, Joust, and others.

I still enjoy playing my Lynx even after all of these years. Many of the games hold up remarkably well. I'll always maintain my enthusiasm and fondness for the system and its games.

wondermega

I just kinda randomly listened to this new Lynx podcast (!!!!!) as I drove home from a job interview today (wish me luck...). I recently pulled my Lynx out of the closet, but it has basically been sitting on a shelf for the couple of weeks since. Anyway tonight I felt pretty inspired to try and fire the old girl up..
I had a second-hand adapter handy (puns, who loves them!) in the lynx case, it was set to 9v. Nothing happened. I dug up a bunch of double AA's, likewise nothing. Mind you I haven't turned the system on in probably a good 10-15 years, at least..

It was late and I was desperate. I found a car adapter in the carrying case as well, so - screw it, took the device and the plug and a few games out to the car, plugged it into the AC and crossed my fingers. It booted! It was just that blocky "INSERT GAME" screen, and the screen looked beyond awful - but I dialed the contrast back, so at leats it was showing properly. I pulled out the cart, and did the ol' "Nintendo Blow" into the system's contacts (probably not a great plan, but what else to do at this stage?) Stuck the game back in and the title screen for Ms Pacman came up. It hung.. I pulled the cart out and dragged the contacts across my jeans a bunch. Mind you, the system and the game carts have been sitting nicely packed away in the carrying case for literally decades now. But still, the passage of time. Anyway - after this, the game launched and I was able to get a full session in. I was surprised, not only did the game boot, in launched, it looked *nice*, the controls and sounds were all sharp as they'd ever been. I was surprised to say the least. I tried to push my luck and get California Games to load (probably one of the best games on the system) - black screen. Again dragged the contact across my jeans, no dice. I took it back into the apartment, and scrubbed the contacts with a Qtip and some rubbing alcohol. Viola, it ran good as new (shocked again!) Hopped on ebay and ordered a proper AC adapter for like $15. So yes - psyched and surprised to see it running tonight, I have a couple of games to seek out now - Xybots, Rampart, Robotron. Good times :)

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

I just kinda randomly listened to this new Lynx podcast (!!!!!) as I drove home from a job interview today (wish me luck...). I recently pulled my Lynx out of the closet, but it has basically been sitting on a shelf for the couple of weeks since. Anyway tonight I felt pretty inspired to try and fire the old girl up..
I had a second-hand adapter handy (puns, who loves them!) in the lynx case, it was set to 9v. Nothing happened. I dug up a bunch of double AA's, likewise nothing. Mind you I haven't turned the system on in probably a good 10-15 years, at least..

It was late and I was desperate. I found a car adapter in the carrying case as well, so - screw it, took the device and the plug and a few games out to the car, plugged it into the AC and crossed my fingers. It booted! It was just that blocky "INSERT GAME" screen, and the screen looked beyond awful - but I dialed the contrast back, so at leats it was showing properly. I pulled out the cart, and did the ol' "Nintendo Blow" into the system's contacts (probably not a great plan, but what else to do at this stage?) Stuck the game back in and the title screen for Ms Pacman came up. It hung.. I pulled the cart out and dragged the contacts across my jeans a bunch. Mind you, the system and the game carts have been sitting nicely packed away in the carrying case for literally decades now. But still, the passage of time. Anyway - after this, the game launched and I was able to get a full session in. I was surprised, not only did the game boot, in launched, it looked *nice*, the controls and sounds were all sharp as they'd ever been. I was surprised to say the least. I tried to push my luck and get California Games to load (probably one of the best games on the system) - black screen. Again dragged the contact across my jeans, no dice. I took it back into the apartment, and scrubbed the contacts with a Qtip and some rubbing alcohol. Viola, it ran good as new (shocked again!) Hopped on ebay and ordered a proper AC adapter for like $15. So yes - psyched and surprised to see it running tonight, I have a couple of games to seek out now - Xybots, Rampart, Robotron. Good times :)

Great story! Glad to see another Atarian bring their Lynx back into service.

ProTip: Whenever I pick up vintage cartridge videogames, the first thing I do is reach for the isopropyl alcohol and the Q-Tips, and clean the contacts on the cartridges. The cart slot on the Lynx also needs a good cleaning (unfortunately, no official cleaning kit was ever released by Atari, so you'll have to improvise. It requires a little patience and elbow grease, but will make a great difference. After a good cleaning, your games should be as good as new.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Lynx Reviews Part 1: Golden Age Arcade Hits

There hasn't been any attention paid to this Atari Lynx Appreciation forum, so I thought I'd write something new for 2019.

Let's take a look at the "Golden Age" (1979-1984) videogame titles for Atari Lynx. The system is known for its excellent arcade translations of STUN Runner, Roadblasters and the like, but it is also home to a number of beloved classics from the pre-NES days of the early 1980s. Let's take a quick look and see if you recognize any favorites:

Z3xAvSBl.png

Ms. Pac-Man (1990)

Ms. Pac-Man has always remained one of the most enduring video arcade games. For years, it seemed like every laundromat in sight had at least one coin-op machine in play (with the speed hack, of course). This Atari Lynx version includes all four of the arcade boards, plus a number of new boards that are very well designed.

The graphics are very tiny and small, and this always irritated the hell out of me. I wanted a zoomed-in style like the Gameboy version, where we could see more details. I wanted it to look like the box, fer cryin out loud. I may be in the minority on this point, and I'm sure there were many players who were happy to see the entire maze at once and know where the ghosts were moving, instead of just running blind ala Gameboy.

Ideally, Atari should have made the option for a full-screen and closeup view, like Pac-Man Collection on Gameboy Advance. That would have been perfect, and should have been easily done. Oh, well, water under the bridge. For what it's worth, the graphics are colorful, the sound effects are very bouncy and arcady, and it plays just like Ms. Pac-Man. The addition of a lightning bolt power-up allows the use of the popular speed boost that allowed us to cheat like crazy, and there are 18 mazes in all to enjoy.

DwKLXI5l.jpg

Pac-Land (1991)

Pac-Land was a pioneering 2D platformer that was a welcome change of pace from the maze games, and sets the stage for Super Mario Bros. It's not quite as good as Mario, but the gameplay is very engaging, the stage designs have a bit of variety and there are even some secrets that reward persistent players. This game rewards persistent play and high-score freaks.

The Lynx does an excellent job of this game, and it captures all the elements of the arcade. It's not going to compete against, say, Super Mario Land 2 on Gameboy, but at least give Atari Corp credit for adding this title to the meager Lynx software library. This game was overlooked at the time, but is definitely a hidden gem. The Lynx really needed a few more games like this.

4GgivUil.jpg

Robotron: 2084 (1991)

The Lynx version of Robotron is absolutely smashing, a nearly perfect copy of the arcade classic and easily the best home translation (it previously appeared on Atari 8-bit and 7800, and all later versions were arcade-emulated). The audio is perfectly recreated and the action is relentless and furious.

The biggest challenge, of course, would be the controls, as the Lynx has only two main buttons, and the two Option buttons lie to the side (they should have been arranged like the SNES A-B-X-Y). Fortunately, there are three control options that work very well. I use the option that features auto-firing with directional changes via the A-B buttons. That works the best and enables me to run and gun very nicely.

Overall, a fantastic job of one of the all-time classics. This is also one of the rare third-party titles published for Atari Lynx, as nearly all outside developers were published by Atari Corp themselves. Also, cool cover design.

D68SGWDl.jpg

Qix (1991)

I completely forgot about Qix, which probably doesn't speak well for my memory, but it's not the game's fault. This was one of the first releases by third-party UK publisher Telegames, who still exist as an online retailer today. You can buy Lynx games directly from their website.

Knight Technologies were the developers behind this arcade conversion, and they also worked on other Telegames titles, including the cancelled Guardian: Storm Over Doria. They did an admirable job, and if you've ever played the Sega Genesis version of Qix, you'll know what to expect. The gameplay remains identical to the original arcade classic, with the addition of textured graphics in the filled-in areas of the playfield.

The game is challenging and will keep you engaged for a while. It's perfect for a handheld system, and the Lynx version looks and plays better than its Gameboy rival. It tends to be easily forgotten in the system's software library, but it remains a must for Lynx collectors and fans of the "Golden Age" of videogames.

tpsyu54l.jpg

Joust (1992)

Shadowsoft followed up with another outstanding Williams arcade classic the following year with Joust. This is one of those videogames that plays great on every format. Even the Atari 2600 Joust is fun to play. This Lynx version again features perfect audio from the coin-op and all the visual details from the arcade. The colors and animation are very good and the controls are exactly as you would expect. And we get another awesome cover design, so bonus points for that.

This is a game that I came to love many years after its release. Back in 1992, like many Lynx owners, I was deeply frustrated with the lack of games for the handheld, and the few that were released did not push the hardware like the early Epyx or Atari Games titles. The Lynx was entering its starvation years as Atari Corp seemed to lose interest, focusing all their attention on the Panther and Jaguar systems and continuing to burn all their bridges. Oh, well.

jMd1NJLl.jpg

Battlezone 2000 (1994)

Hand Made Software gave us this excellent multiplayer rendition of the 1979 Atari arcade classic, and it's a great version of Battlezone. It seemed frightfully out-of-date by 1994, but the four-player deathmatch brought the game into the Doom era very nicely. As with all the other Hand Made games, the music is superb (no 2600 bleeps and bloops here) and the production values are excellent.

The coolest part of this game is the hidden "2000" mode, which was probably the real version of Battlezone they were working on before scuttling that and churning out the arcade original. This updated version features excellent color graphics, all new tanks, enemies and environments, and reminds me a little of the classic Atari 8-bit game Koronis Rift. It feels unfinished, which supports my theory, but it's still super awesome for frustrated Lynx owners.

vHqsqdQl.jpg

Super Asteroids/Missile Command (1995)

Finally, we have the final Atari Corp game published for the Lynx, and it's a surprisingly good update to two Atari arcade classics. You don't get to play the originals, but these updated versions feature new graphics and gameplay features. Of the two, Missile Command comes out ahead, thanks to its variety of environments and cool power-up weapons. I enjoyed this one a lot more than I expected, at least until I remembered this sytem was built to play Blue Lightning and Electrocop and STUN Runner.

The cover design is a recreation of old box art for the Atari 8-bit versions of Asteroids and Missile Command, showing the cheap-skate side of the Tramiel Family once again. They really didn't care about Lynx by this point, which is too bad, because it had a stubborn cult following who deeply respected the portable system, even if they hated the Atari Corp management. The Lynx deserved better. At least it closed out its commercial era on a high note.

Last edited:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

That Dracula point and click game that was on this system always intrigued me.

It's really good. It's one of those graphical adventure games similar to LucasArts games. The command interface is very simple and effective, the graphics have a wonderful sepia tone style, there are numerous cut-scenes and the music is suitably moody. There's just one problem...the game itself is only half-complete.

Dracula: The Undead was originally supposed to be a 4-megabit (512K) cartridge, but it was cut in half at the last minute as a cost-savings measure. Presumably, the second half of the game would be released at a later date (shades of Sonic 3 & Knuckles). Unfortunately, for whatever reasons, this was completely scuttled and the completed version of Dracula was never released.

When you play the game, you'll notice that the game is incomplete, as it ends suddenly and without resolving the major conflicts. There is also a part where you half to climb outside a window and over the castle walls to break into another room. You end up having to go back and forth several times, and it's pretty obvious this is padding out the clock.

According to longtime rumors (as always, take with a grain of salt), a "complete" 512K version of Dracula does exist and ended up in the possession of a collector. This has never been confirmed, however, meaning that nobody has publicly come forward to state they have the full game. That said, there are a number of cancelled Atari Lynx games that now exist solely in the hands of certain collectors, including the demo version of Vindicators, Daemon's Gate, Dungeon Master, Guardians: Storm Over Doria and Centipede (there are reportedly two different versions of the game, and the one that went public was incomplete).

Personally, if a 512K version of Dracula: The Undead exists, I'd love to see it. And even if it wasn't completed, I'd spend the money to bring the software team back together to finish the project as it was intended, and then include it in an "Atari Lynx Mini" along with the entire software library, including demo scene videos and post-1995 indie titles like Zaku & Alpine Games.

Can I have $100 million to make that happen, please?

AEAm5Hel.jpg

Update: Here is an old screenshot of Dracula: The Undead showing a scene from the game's unreleased second half. I really hope the complete game hasn't been lost. You'd be shocked how much videogame history just got tossed into dumpsters without anyone giving it a second thought. Take that, future museums!

Last edited:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Lynx Reviews Part 2: Atari Games Arcade Hits

For this next collection of Atari Lynx reviews, let's examine the Atari Games arcade titles. The handheld was blessed with a large number of classic hits, and these 12 games include many of Atari's greatest arcade hits. Here we go:

QKICQBml.jpg

Paperboy (1990)

Paperboy has appeared on nearly every videogame and computer system known to man, and the Atari Lynx translation is one of the best, right up there with the Amiga and Genesis versions. It's miles ahead of the Gameboy and GBC versions and even the supremely solid Game Gear release. All of the arcade graphics have been retained, the streets are suitably crowded with suburbanites, and your bike controls very smoothly. The digitized voice samples are missing but that's about it.

Paperboy is a lot tougher than it looks. It's hard to throw those newspapers into the mail boxes. I have a lot more fun smashing windows of all those non-subscribers. I have great respect for this one. Even the cover art is excellent. Atari Lynx was blessed with some terrific cover illustrations.

rl1itr8l.jpg

Klax (1990)

Now we're getting to a true Atari Lynx classic. Klax was an Atari Games arcade puzzler that followed on the heels of Tetris. You catch colored tiles that ride down a conveyer belt and then drop them into a pit, clearing them in sets of 3 or more horizontally, vertically or diagonally.

The Atari Lynx version is virtually arcade perfect, and played in the system's rarely-used "portrait" mode. The graphics are perfectly detailed and colorful, given the cramped screen space, but where the game really shines is in the audio, which features digitized audio and voice samples. Add in the highly impressive title song by LX Rudis (pronounced "Alex"), and you have the best-sounding game in the Lynx library.

Klax probably would have made a bigger impact had it not already been whored out to every other home console, but the Lynx version is arguably the best of them all. It's a must for all fans and collectors and serves as a worthy rival to Tetris and Columns.

AFm1Thel.jpg

Roadblasters (1990)

Roadblasters was one of my all-time favorite arcade games, a perfect combo of racing and shooting that's perfect for any Mad Max or Car Wars fan. The Atari Lynx version is another superb translation that successfully captures every detail from the coin-op onto that tiny screen.

Your goal is to race through 50 stages, picking up fuel spheres and weapon powerups. There are many obstacles in your path, including rival cars, motorbikes, gun turrets, mines and ice patches. If you crash, you'll lose precious time and fuel, and you'll need to collect every one of those fuel globes to reach the finish line. There's also a score multiplier that rewards careful shooting and will keep high score freaks busy.

Roadblasters uses software tricks to enable more on-screen colors, and this is why the game runs so glitchy on the Handy emulator. You really have to experience this game on real hardware to appreciate it. I think this is the best home version of the game, just a touch smoother than the excellent Genesis version, featuring excellent scaling effects just like the arcade.

GrygIX4l.jpg

Hard Drivin' (1991)

Klax and Roadblasters were outstanding on Lynx. Hard Drivin', however, is a bit of a mess. It's certainly admirable to attempt to bring the polygon arcade racing sim to the handheld, but it just doesn't work. This is arguably the weakest of all the Atari Games titles on Lynx.

While the Lynx has a 16-bit graphics chip and a math co-processor, it's clearly not enough to recreate the 1987 arcade, which set new standards in polygon graphics. The frame rate might be as much as 5 fps, and that's if we're being generous. Everything just chugs along at a snail's pace. Add in very sluggish controls that seem to lag half a second behind, and it's very difficult to do much of anything. Oh, well, this was really more of a driving simulation than anything. It was meant for home computers and PC. Pass.

uBbWdrKl.jpg

A.P.B. (1991)

A.P.B. (All Point Bulletin) is a free-roaming racing game where you drive a police car in search of traffic violators on the roads and highways. The arcade game is pretty good fun, with a large city to drive around, lots of traffic to dodge, and a good variety of criminals to bring down. It also has a fair sense of humor, which was always an Atari Games trademark.

The Lynx translation is a slight disappointment, and it's clearly not as good as it should have been. I always felt that it should have played in portrait mode like the arcade. In the standard "landscape" mode, the main display is a bit small and squashed and it's a bit tough to see ahead. That said, the gameplay is fully intact and the stages are still very large and sprawling. If you put in the time and practice, you can learn to drive around pretty effectively. Mind you, I've never managed to get past the training stage, so what do I know?

I'm honestly surprised that this game never appeared on any other home system. It deserves better than this. The Lynx is the only coin-op conversion of this minor classic.

f6Pg7Gol.jpg

S.T,U.N. Runner (1991)

And now we come to the Lynx's technical masterpiece. You won't find a better looking portable videogame until the Gameboy Advance drops, and even then, it's up for debate.

STUN Runner is a futuristic racing/combat game with blazing polygon graphics that dazzled in 1989, and still looks impressive today. Its designs have clearly influenced the genre, as the speed boost has become a genre standard, and Nintendo's F-Zero X borrowed the cool winding tunnels.

The Atari Lynx conversion by D. Scott Williamson recreates the coin-op entirely with 2D sprites, as the system can display an unlimited number of sprites without any slowdown or flicker. The result is a stunning recreation of the arcade that captures every element perfectly. All of the red stars, jump boosts, ramps and enemies are present.

The audio effects are also digitally sampled from the arcade and sound terrific. Controls are responsive and not too loose. It's easy to navigate through the tunnels, but it's also easy to oversteer if you're not careful.

My only criticism of Lynx STUN Runner is that it's far too easy, and most players should reach the finish with little effort. But that only means you'll get to start all over again and try to beat your high score and work on that perfect run.

XPQch8ql.jpg

Tournament Cyberball 2072 (1991)

Tournament Cyberball has a really cool cover illustration, and it does an admirable job of translating the arcade hit, a futuristic football game played by robots. The foundation is there for something really great, but the end result feels unfinished and incomplete.

I find that the controls to this game are very solid. You select one of six teams (all identical as best I can tell) and select a series of run, pass and option plays. On offense, you move your QB and throw to one of several pre-determined sites as shown on the field. This makes it easier for your receivers to catch the ball and is very helpful on the small screen.

Running plays are completely useless, unfortunately, as there are no breaking tackles, spins or hurdles. Any contact with another player means an instant tackle. This was the fatal flaw to all football videogames before Madden, and it not only ruins the running game, it cripples the passing plays as well, as there is next to no chance for after-catch yards.

With a little refinement, Tournament Cyberball could work. I think the game engine would work perfectly for a real football game. Pity that BlueSky Software, the developers, didn't think of that when making the catastrophic NFL Football. This game also suffers from small cart size, as too many corners were cut. We need more player animations (especially tackles), crowd sounds and a season or tournament option, instead of playing a single game.

I don't hate this game as much as I once did long ago. I do respect it, I just think it's incomplete. A close miss.

7cCghkSl.jpg

Xybots (1991)

Xybots is a welcome return to form for Atari Lynx, thanks to an excellent conversion by NuFX, who worked on several Lynx titles before becoming EA Chicago some years later. The arcade was created by Ed Logg as a 3D answer to Gauntlet, and should appeal to modern gamers who enjoy third-person shooters.

NuFX did an excellent job using the Lynx screen wisely, keeping the map and item screen stored away via the Option keys. You walk with the d-pad and turn directions by holding A. It takes a moment to get to grips but is very effective, and the mazes become very crowded and complex, loaded with all sorts of robots out to destroy you. You can also pick up keys for hidden pathways and secret warp rooms. At the end of each stage, you can purchase needed powerups and health upgrades.

The Lynx never got any action-shooters like Contra or Mega Man or Metal Slug, so Xybots fills that void. The 3D graphics make good use of color and the music is terrific. It's also fairly challenging, as it's really meant for 2P. This is a Lynx game that I often return to when I get the itch. Highly recommended.

ZOg0CdQl.jpg

Hydra (1992)

After a very uneven 1991, Hydra ushers in 1992 on a high note. If you're a fan of Roadblasters, then you'll love this combat racer, which is pretty much the same game but on a boat. The action is intense and relentless, and the challenge is quite high. This is a really tough game and you'll keep coming back for a long time.

Visually, the game makes great use of the Lynx's 3D sprite scaling, but everything looks a bit pixelated and splotchy. Roadblasters and STUN Runner both look more polished. On the other hand, the Hydra arcade is much more visually demanding, featuring what appears to be pre-rendered and digitized graphics. The Lynx does an admirable job but the days of a perfect translation are over.

I think this is a great videogame that should appeal to Lynx owners who need another arcade fix with some solid 3D graphics. Be sure to show this off to any Gameboy owners you might meet.

nfU5biGl.jpg

Pit Fighter (1992)

The Atari Lynx was perfectly suited to capture the look and feel of arcade videogames from the late 1980s. By 1992, hardware tech had begun to successfully pull away, making translations to the portable system increasingly difficult. STUN Runner, Hydra and Pit-Fighter all demonstrate these challenges, and of the three, it is Pit-Fighter that suffers the most.

The arcade Pit-Fighter featured digitized graphics for all the fighters and crowds, and was genuinely impressive for 1990. Characters were large and impressively detailed and would zoom and scale as they moved around the ring. The animation was extremely choppy, which was always the weakness of digitized graphics, and the extremely simplistic graphics became hopelessly outdated the second Capcom dropped Street Fighter 2 on our heads. The game quickly became a historical curiosity, if not a complete joke.

Tasked with bringing Pit-Fighter to Lynx, Al Baker & Associates did the best job that anyone could realistically do. They converted the arcade code directly and made trims and edits where necessary to fit all the action onto the small screen and game card size. The attraction cut-scenes have been removed, but the main action has been faithfully retained, even down to the scaling character sprites and throwable objects like chairs.

Unfortunately, the Lynx is pushed to its limits and its shortcomings come into view. The lack of on-screen colors (16 from a palette of 4,.096) and low screen resolution (160 x 102 on a 3.5" screen) result in graphics that are pixelated and browned out. The digitized graphics appear almost in greyscale and backgrounds exist in shades of a single color. In addition, the extremely limited animation, as few as two frames per action, results in extremely choppy motion.

Fighting is extremely basic, and all you really do is mash buttons as quickly as possible. Fortunately, the Lynx proves very responsive here, resulting in faster fights than Ninja Gaiden., Double Dragon or Kung Food. Unfortunately, the choppy animation and lack of any defensive strategy results in battles that feel random. You smash the A and B buttons and hope that you can knock down your opponents, at least until you face fighters that can jump or somersault away.

The end result is a videogame is somewhat unplayable, lacks any sense of strategy or flow, and becomes very difficult very quickly. Most gamers will throw away their Lynx in frustration in five minutes or less, and I can't blame them. Atari should have focused their resources on a better Atari Games title like Vindicators and let this one go. Thumbs down.

ujIDylll.jpg

Rampart (1992)

Rampart is classic Atari at its best: a combination of Tetris puzzle solving with naval warfare. You command a castle under siege from naval ships, and both sides trade cannon fire. After each round, you have a limited amount of time to rebuild and expand your castles before the next attack wave begins.

This Lynx translation was highly praised upon release, and stands as one of the most beloved titles in the system's library. The gameplay is a perfect combination of frantic action and strategic planning that is very unique. The Lynx captures the style of the arcade perfectly, even offering some new animated cut-scenes that announce the next phase of action. I was always impressed by the controls, which allow for two speeds on the cursor (the coin-op uses a trackball). Sound effects are a mixture of booming explosions, digitized voice samples and music by LX Rudis.

The first couple battles are pretty easy, but things become very tough very quickly, as the enemy fleet overwhelms the sea and invading armies storm the shoreline. You'll need to conquer more castles, which means getting more cannons, in order to survive. There is also a 2P option which should keep everyone happy. Excellent job from everyone at Atari.

TiuyRLJl.jpg

Steel Talons (1992)

Steel Talons raised the bar for polygon graphics in the arcades, and it's clear by this point that the future of videogames lies in that direction. NuFX returns to take the helm of this Lynx translation, which is highly respected by fans and a clear improvement over their Hard Drivin' port.

I think this game looks and plays better than Hard Drivin, with a higher frame rate and more responsive controls. But it's still slow and sluggish, comparable to the standard of PC and Amiga games of the time. There was also a version released on Atari Falcon, and the frame rate is pretty close to what's seen here. So you're going to have to make your peace with the technology.

The game is an arcade combat sim, where you engage in a variety of military missions across a variety of landscapes. The pacing is slower than in shoot-em-ups, which is why this genre was popular on PC for so many years. The Lynx version does an excellent job of capturing the arcade with accessible controls and simple interfaces. The difficulty is pretty high, which means that if you can't make your peace with the polygon frame rate, you should look elsewhere. If you do have the patience or lived through the pre-PS1 days, you'll have a terrific time.

(Update 2/4 4:37 pm: Wrote the 2nd draft for Pit-Fighter.)

Last edited:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Lynx Reviews Part 3: Non-Atari Arcade Hits

In this episode of our ongoing series, we'll take a look at the non-Atari arcade titles on Atari Lynx. This includes titles by Tecmo, Bally and Technos and features some of the best videogames on the system.

hAQMtrUl.jpg

Rampage (1990)

When the Lynx was launched, Epyx was working on a game called "Monster Demolition," which looked a lot like the arcade classic Rampage, where giant movie monsters smash buildings and destroy towns just for kicks. The game was later retitiled "Rampage Deluxe" by Atari, but for unknown reasons, it was eventually scuttled. In 1990, an entirely new version of Rampage appeared, this time a direct arcade translation, but with the addition of a fourth monster for 4P multiplayer.

While I was disappointed that the original Epyx game had disappeared (if the demo carts weren't destroyed, they're certainly in the hands of private collectors now), but I absolutely love this Lynx Rampage. It captures the look and feel of the coin-op perfectly, allowing you to jump, climb, smash and eat everything in sight. It's the perfect videogame to play in short bursts and works perfectly on the handheld system.

The graphics are wonderfully colorful and the monsters have the same silly expressions as in the arcade. The screen has been zoomed in to accommodate the 3.5" screen, which is a very smart move, enabling for large monsters and smoothly animated character sprites. Sound effects boom and shake in that bass-heavy Lynx fashion, and the music that plays is simple and non-irritating, which is all you really need.

I love this version of Rampage, and it's definitely in my Lynx Top 10.

fHLjOJSl.jpg

Rygar (1990)

During this era, Nintendo held a near-monopoly on the videogame market, and one of the aces up their sleeves was their exclusive contracts with software developers, which forbid any games released on NES or Gameboy to appear on rival platforms. This policy did not apply when a NES title had an arcade cousin that was different. Rygar at home was completely different from Rygar at the arcades. Atari quickly pounced at the opportunity by licensing Tecmo's 1986 side-scrolling action hit.

Rygar provides the perfect fix for 2D platforming action that became hugely popular during the NES era, and because of this it's an essential title for Lynx. The game was even used in Atari's print ads to great effect. As an action game, the pacing is very fast, enemies are varied and relentless, and there's a good sense of satisfaction in running through stages, jumping over waterfalls, running through forests, and climbing through caves.

The arcade version is a little more intense, and the Lynx version is missing that cool spinning-disc move, but nearly everything else is intact. The screen is properly zoomed in and the character sprites are the right size, not too large or too small. The sounds and music from the arcade are also replicated nicely and everything just looks terrific.

I really wanted to see more games like Rygar on Lynx. Atari should have used the graphics engine to create more platformers, maybe even try to license Rastan or something similar. Unfortunately, this was the only major entry in the genre until Toki arrived some time later. It felt like a million years. But that's what it was like to be a Lynx fan in those days, endless waiting and hoping.

OeJWR6wl.jpg

Xenophobe (1990)

Xenophobe is a Bally arcade shoot-em-up where three players blast their way through space stations to destroy monsters from the Alien franchise, and possibly any lawyers looking for file a copyright suit (videogames got away with murder back in the 1980s). To my surprise, the Atari Lynx version was actually created by Epyx staff, making this the final title from Handy's creators. No wonder this game is so damned good.

This Lynx translation benefits greatly from the arcade's triple split-screen design, where each player has their own space to explore and fight. On the portable screen, everything is zoomed in and sized perfectly, and the characters are all large and easily recognizable. The cast of characters has also been expanded to nine (ten if you count the alien) and new power-up items have been added like a jetpack. This game is perfectly balanced between single-player arcade action and multiplayer deathmatch.

Xenophobe is one of those games I pull out whenever I get the itch to play Atari Lynx. It's fast and challenging and perfect for short runs, but also lengthy enough to keep players challenged. The graphics are cartoony but smoothly animated and there audio is impressive as well.

The best feature of this game is 4P multiplayer, where one player can choose to be the alien and hunt down the others. How cool is that? This definitely belongs on my Lynx Top 10.

ByqnoCwl.jpg

Ninja Gaiden (1991)

I was a big fan of Ninja Gaiden on the NES, and eagerly awaited the arrival of the arcade version on Atari Lynx. While the home version is a side-scrolling platformer with anime cut-scenes, the coin-op is a beat-em-up similar to Double Dragon. It features ninja heroes who attack muscled thugs in Jason masks, large guys who carry tree trunks, and when you fail to continue after losing, your ninja is brutally murdered with a buzzsaw. Great fun!

The Atari Lynx translation is very solid, not as perfect as the Atari Games titles but very good. The graphics is not zoomed in, but recreates the entire arcade screen on the Lynx. This results in visuals that are a tad small and 8-bit-ish, but still packed with fluid animation and little background details. Some scenes from the arcade, such as the race through rush hour traffic, has been cut, and the second player is also missing. This game really needed a little bit more memory than the 128K that was allocated.

I loved Lynx Ninja Gaiden to death back in '91. It was one of my favorites for the system. Today, I still respect it, but the enthusiasm has waned a little. It's a very challenging game and very tough to beat, and it's fun to hurl those Jasons with somersault throws.

WvysFdPl.jpg

Turbo Sub (1991)

Turbo Sub was touted as an Atari original, but it is actually a loose translation of an extremely obscure 1985 arcade game by Entertainment Sciences. The Lynx version feels more like a cousin, retaining the first-person perspective and action above and below the ocean waters, but playing out much more like Space Harrier. If you enjoy pure arcade shooting fun, you'll love this.

This game is a terrific arcade shooter, with blazing speed and some terrific 3D scaling graphics. There are also nice touches like windshield wipers that activate when you launch into the air. Each stage features new enemies to defeat, including giant crabs and Moai heads (a nod to Space Harrier). You must also collect purple gems while avoiding fire, which can be used to purchase needed ship upgrades for the later stages. Eventually, you will battle the giant mothership in orbit for the final showdown.

This game was programmed by NuFX founder Ed Schneider, who was worked on Robo-Squash and Hydra (NuFX worked on Xybots, Hard Drivin, Steel Talons and Eye of the Beholder). He passed away from smoking-related illnesses some years ago, a terrible loss for the videogame world.

qFMLz8Fl.jpg

Toki (1992)

Toki is an arcade game from TAD Corporation (distributed in the US by Fabtek), who were probably best known for their military action-shooter Cabal. It's a 2D platformer where you play a man who was changed into an ape who shoots pellets from his mouth. You have to traverse through multiple stages to defeat the witch doctor who cursed you and kidnapped your lady friend.

This is a great run-and-gun game that is blessed with a weird sense of humor. The tropical environment feels like Indiana Jones on some really weird acid, and there are many digitized cartoon sound effects scattered about. You even get to wear what looks like a Minnesota Vikings football helmet as a power-up. As a Minnesotan, I'd assume this gives you the power to choke in the big game and always finish 8-8, but I might be wrong on that.

Lynx Toki looks nearly identical to the arcade, at least where the tiny screen is concerned. The pacing is a touch slow but it's never really a problem. The challenge is very high, as this is one of those "one-hit death" videogames. If you want a real challenge, you're going to have a terrific time. Excellent job, overall.

Update: Programming wizard D. Scott Williamson (Roadblasters, STUN Runner) was the programmer for Lynx Toki. Not surprised at all.

6nClySfl.jpg

Double Dragon (1993)

I was thrilled to learn that Double Dragon was coming to the Lynx in 1993, which was seriously starving for software (Atari Corp was betting everything on Jaguar by that point). I was especially thrilled to see the game in action at the 1994 CES, with its massively large character sprites that looked identical to the arcade. It didn't get much playtime, but my peers and I in the indie gaming press were amazed.

This game looks smashing on the small Lynx screen, and the fighters look exactly the same as the arcade. Many have speculated that Knight Technologies, the software developers, directly copied the sprites from the arcade code, which is certainly an interesting idea. The trade-off is that the screen view is extremely limited, showing only glimpses of backgrounds. Whether this becomes a problem or not is really a matter of personal taste.

On the downside, Lynx Double Dragon is missing some content from the arcade, likely a casualty of the game's memory size, and the chiptune music is just bloody awful, barely above 2600 bleeps and bloops.

Double Dragon is one of the most rare and expensive titles in the Lynx software library. This means you'll most likely play it on the Handy emulator, or you could order the new SD card to play on actual hardware. Personally, I'd recommend the latter, at least until you can find a time machine to go back and pick up a retail copy at a fair price.

TVQIbZUl.jpg

Super Off-Road (1993)

Super Off-Road was another surprise appearance in the late Lynx days. I believe I saw it at the same CES as Double Dragon and European Soccer Challenge and the masterful Battle Wheels. I had very high hopes for this title, which had also made appearances on a number of home systems. And having another 4P game on our favorite handheld was especially great.

Unfortunately, while the game's graphics are extremely solid and close to the arcade, the gameplay is crippled beyond redemption. The vehicle steering is extremely choppy, resulting in erratic movement and swerving turns. Worse, a gameplay bug causes trucks to become stuck to the sides of the tracks. You can't play this game. It doesn't work. It's broken.

The evidence strongly suggests that this game was never properly finished and rushed out the door. The Atari Lynx was being abandoned and left to die as Atari focused all their attention on their new Jaguar system. Software developers got the hint and quickly rushed out or scuttled many games at various stages of development. Some titles could be saved by the fan community. It's a pity that this one could not.

Last edited:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Lynx Reviews Part 4: The Epyx Games

In this episode of our Lynx series, we're going back to the beginning and looking at the eight games by Lynx creators Epyx. As I've always said, these are the best games for the system, masterfully demonstrating its power and potential.

85vZX1Ml.jpg

California Games (1989)

I still clearly remember the day my Atari Lynx arrived in the mail in late 1989. I ordered the system from the JC Penny's catalog for $159.99, along with a copy of Blue Lightning. I opened up the box, unwrapped the Lynx, plugged it in (that AC adapter was essential) and started playing the pack-in California Games. I was immediately dazzled and amazed and that feeling has never really gone away.

California Games is a minigame sports collection, based on Epyx's highly successful Games series. Four events are present in this version: BMX Racing, Surfing, Skateboarding and Footbag. The frisbee and roller skating events were removed. The Olympics scoring system has been replaced with arcade points, which works much better here. Each of the events are easy to play and are very diverse, showcasing the colors and scaling effects of the Lynx.

BMX is my favorite and is a wild downhill run set with obstacles, hills and massive vertical drops. Your goal is to score points doing somersaults and wild rotations. Surfing is a close second and is features some cool stunts and spectacular water animations. Skateboarding is my least favorite due to lack of moves and repetition (it's no Tony Hawk), but it does have the game's best music. Footbag is the hidden gem, a deceptively simple contest that becomes strangely compelling as you try to keep that hacky sack in the air while also smacking that seagull.

This is a perfect showcase for Lynx. Epyx and Atari really should have made a sequel. You could easily turn BMX into a full-scale racing game with tons of obstacle courses. And Surfing could feature multiple beaches with different types of water and waves. Oh, wait, that actually happened -- the spectacular Kelly Slater's Pro Surfer on Gameboy Advance.

xLWIHN6l.jpg

Blue Lightning (1989)

Blue Lightning is the definitive showpiece for Atari Lynx, the one iconic classic that everyone remembers most. It's an aerial combat game inspired by Sega's Afterburner, but with a sense of style all its own. The 3D sprite scaling and distortion effects were jaw-dropping in 1989, far beyond anything seen in the home. Forget about Gameboy, the Amiga and Genesis couldn't touch this game.

The action is always fast and engaging, and there's a lot of variety in your nine missions, ranging from land, sea and air assaults to covert spy and recon missions. My favorite mission involves a canyon suicide run where you win a massive bonus for tearing through on your afterburner jets. Planes, ships and tanks explode with fireballs and shrapnel and it's always satisfying to shoot down enemies while spinning in barrel rolls to dodge incoming rockets.

What an amazing rush. I cannot fathom why this game didn't sell a million copies. C'mon, be honest, aside from Tetris, the Gameboy launch games were pretty weak. Even Super Mario Land felt a bit off. The Lynx should have kicked its ass. We should be playing games on the Lynx 3DS by now.

r8DjrI2l.jpg

Electrocop (1989)

For me, Electrocop completes the Atari Lynx 1-2-3 triple punch and cements the handheld's system's legendary status. It was also my all-time favorite Lynx videogame for many years, and probably still stands in my top three. Here is another sensational demonstration of 3D graphics that were only possible on Lynx, and literally years ahead of its time.

The game is a third-person action-adventure, where you must navigate through the mazes of a 12-story building in order to rescue the President's daughter from a rival robot. The floors are filled with robot sentries, mines and electrified traps, and you must also open locked doors by cracking their computer codes. A number of weapon power-ups are found in various locations, and as you take damage, your weapons take damage as well, and can be destroyed, leaving you vulnerable in a matter of seconds.

The game's 12 levels are extremely challenging, and the exits are entirely nonlinear, meaning that you'll jump around floors quite a lot. Oh, and there's a 60-minute time limit which really adds to the pressure. You can sit around and play Asteroids while the computer hacking program works on those door codes, but you'll lose precious time, and before you know it, you'll have to race into danger recklessly, which is where the enemy robots start batting you around like a tennis ball. Prepare for a rough ride.

Electrocop's graphics use sprite scaling to recreate a 3D world unlike anything seen before, eerily predicting the rise of Tomb Raider and Super Mario 64. In addition, there is a "transparent wall" effect when your character is facing towards the screen. I remember seeing the same visual effect many years later in Sega's Virtua Fighter 3.

The graphics are terrific and have that perfect balance between color and detail. Characters are large and well animated, but it's not so zoomed in (ala Double Dragon) where you can't see what's going on. The sound effects and music are terrific, and that Blade Runner title sequence never fails to impress. Be warned: this is one of those classic videogames that requires a pen and paper to write down maps and door codes. This is not an arcade game, but an adventure ala Impossible Mission on Commodore 64.

Electrocop is a sensational showpiece for Lynx, still highly engaging and years ahead of its time. Don't forget the pen and paper.

l11suTRl.jpg

Gates of Zendocon (1989)

Now here is a more easily accessible game for Lynx, a side-scrolling arcade shoot-em-up in the style of Gradius and R-Type. Gates of Zendocon sends you on a quest to defeat a giant mutant brain and his army of surreal organic creatures across 50 stages. Your ship is equipped with lasers, bombs and shields, each of which become damaged as you take hits. You battle against floating eyeballs, bugs, amoebas, flying saucers, tanks, rocket launchers, morphing crystals, and all sorts of strange creatures that bend and warp in unique ways.

This game is another terrific showpiece for Lynx, particularly its ability to scale and distort sprites. The programmer, M. Peter Engelbrite, would later push the idea to its extreme end with Slime World, and here you can see how much fun he and his team had in creating all sorts of creepy, slimy things that assault you and explode in wonderfully large bursts of fiery pixels. The color palette is also given an extreme workout, and this is arguably the most "colorful" of all Lynx titles.

At the end of each stage, there are one or more gates that you fly into in order to reach the next zone. Some gates will warp you ahead while others will only take you to the next stage. To see all 50 stages requires multiple play-throughs. There are a couple boss stages against flying silver dragons, and a genuine "final boss" at the end before you face Zendocon himself.

The music is terrific, probably the best of the Lynx launch games. Bob Vieira was probably the Lynx's best composer, and he shines with Zendocon's many catchy melodies. If you enjoy C64 chiptunes, you'll love this one.

AtuX4VUl.jpg

Chip's Challenge (1989)

Chip's Challenge is a beloved puzzle game for the Lynx that achieved its main success on PC. The goal is to escape from a series of mazes by collecting computer chips and door keys, while avoiding various enemies and obstacles. The early levels are very simple and allow you to learn the ropes, but the difficulty quickly ramps up and you'll soon find yourself pulling your hair out trying to make your way through the mazes.

The graphics are rendered in a top-down 2D view similar to Gauntlet 3, and they're functional more than anything. Fortunately, this sparse design works very well for the small Lynx display and keeps everything clear and clean. The focus is entirely on the stage designs, which are just fiendishly complex and inventive. If you're a fan of original puzzle games that aren't merely clones of Tetris, then you'll have a terrific time here.

Have I mentioned that it's freakishly hard? Maybe it's just my fading short-term memory getting the better of me. Oh, and there's a Mandelbrot generator hidden in this game as an easter egg, which is pretty cool.

W10c3Lfl.jpg

Gauntlet: The Third Encounter (1990)

Gauntlet 3 began as an Epyx original tentatively called Time Quests & Treasure Chests before teaming up with Atari, who acquired the Gauntlet license. That was probably the smart move, as it plays very much like an evolution or slight variation on the classic formula and helps to breathe live into the classic series.

This game has a great sense of humor and invention in its character designs. Your playable cast includes the classic wizard and valkyrie, but now they're joined by a samurai, pirate, cowboy, robot, punk rocker and nerd. The pirate throws his bird, the punk throws his shoes, the nerd throws his books. It's all great fun. You are set on a quest to retrieve a Star Gem from the depths of a 40-story castle that is infested with monsters including ghosts, spiders, slime monsters, monks, shark fins and those giant man-eating plans from Little Shop of Horrors.

The viewpoint is presented in a vertical "portrait" mode, which was added at the last minute as an experiment, although the Epyx developers were never fully happy with it. Personally, I really enjoyed it and never had any issues with holding the Lynx vertically. It definitely set the stage for Klax, which would have been impossible in "landscape" mode. I look at my iPhone and am reminded once again how Lynx was years ahead of the curve.

The gameplay in Gauntlet 3 is very much like the arcade originals, only with the addition of some RPG character stats and inventory items. There are even a couple shops where you can buy new items and potions. You can only hold a limited number of items, and this does include gold, making inventory management a real issue throughout the game. This causes some problems down the line, as you are constantly being forced to drop gold in order to move forward through a crowded maze. Personally, I would replace the "score" with "gold" (or at least allocate a single item space for gold) which would free up your inventory for collecting potions and items.

4P mode is available and Gauntlet 3 is really meant to be played that way. For single players, the entire 40-level quest runs three hours long. The level designs are quite impressive and there's a good amount of variety and a lot of challenge. This game received a mixed reception from Lynx fans, but I enjoyed it very much. I think you'd just need to fix that inventory problem and maybe add level codes. Do that, and the game is practically perfect.

ALO0DgXl.jpg

Todd's Adventures in Slime World (1990)

M. Peter Engelbrite showed off his inventive style with Gates of Zendocon, and here he just lets his freak flag fly. Todd's Adventures in Slime World is one of the most bizarrely unique 2D videogames ever made. It captures the same sense of isolation and exploration as Super Metroid, except that it's three years before Super Metroid and a heck of a lot trippier and grossed out.

You play as an explorer who travels through an underground world of tunnels, caves and pits, armed with a water gun (totally stolen by Super Mario Sunshine). You explore this world that is infested with slimy, gross monsters that pulsate, gurgle, burp and bounce in all directions. Floating heads with giant teeth try to turn you into lunch. One brown thing sticks to your head and won't come off until you jump into some water.

The graphics are sensational, a standard for 2D sprite animation that has really never been surpassed. Every inch of the screen is burping and pulsating with life. When shot with your water gun, the creatures explode in puddles of green slime, and there are many moments where it seems like the entire screen is sneezing on you. I especially enjoyed the sight of slime waterfalls, where green slime is poured into a vast lake below. If you are hit by slime, you turn deeper shades of green until you eventually pop. You can scrub yourself clean in pools of clean water, and one item allows you to turn slime lakes into water.

The level designs are filled with endless secret passages and false floors. Exploration is strongly encouraged, particularly when you don't know where the escape tunnel is located. Each of the game's six stages is extremely large and will take a long time to fully explore. Thankfully, save points are plentiful and passwords are included.

Finally, I can't forget about the giant teeth that snap from below without warning. It's one of the all-time great jump scares in videogames, especially when you're wearing headphones.

fNb1wBkl.jpg

Zarlor Mercenary (1990)

Finally, we have Zarlor Mercenary which is a 2D vertically-scrolling shoot-em-up. One to four players select from a cast of mercenaries and then fly spaceships on a variety of missions to shoot everything that moves, and shoot everything that doesn't. As you destroy buildings and infrastructure, you earn money that can be used to purchase ship upgrades. So, basically, you get to play as the bad guys and just wreck everything in sight.

This game makes for a great showcase of the Lynx's ability to draw unlimited 2D sprites, as the screen is frequently filled with alien creatures and ships, in addition to animations on the ground below and the explosions above. It's enough action to completely cripple any 8-bit or 16-bit system of the day and shows just how powerful this handheld can be when in the right hands.

The graphics are very solid, and the designs take good advantage of the small screen size, meaning that the enemy targets and bullets are easy to see. The color palette is quite varied and looks terrific, showing off the "Portable Amiga" very nicely. Your weapons are good but always a little under-powered, even after you've fully powered your ship. This game is clearly meant for 4P over single players.

Personally, I enjoyed Zarlor Mercenary a lot, but not as much as the previous Epyx games. It's a genre piece through and through that lacks real innovation or novel ideas. There is that trademark Epyx sense of humor in the character designs and especially in the memorable ending sequence, but the action is fairly slow, chugging along at half-speed, and it becomes a bit repetitious. Today, however, I find myself wondering just what Toaplan or Cave could do with this system. What would a Lynx DoDonPachi look like?

Agent X

Daniel Thomas MacInnes Daniel Thomas MacInnes , I enjoyed reading the last few posts with your reviews! I've got most of those games, and largely agree with your assessment of them.

I was fascinated to learn that Turbo Sub is based on an obscure arcade game. I never knew that until reading your post above.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Lynx Reviews Part 5: Puzzle Games

In this episode of our Atari Lynx retrospective, we will look at the remaining puzzle games for the system. We already discussed Chip's Challenge and Klax previously, so here are the rest.

JotLxiEl.jpg

Shanghai (1990)

Shanghai is the monstrously successful puzzle game by Brodie Lockard where you must remove matching tiles from a large sculpture shaped like various animals. It is very much like an Asian spin on dominoes and it's quite addictive nearly everywhere it is found. I even have two different Shanghai apps on my iPhone.

This Lynx version includes seven different puzzle boards and option for two players. There are a selection of songs that play in the background, which is so much better than all the other silent puzzle games on Lynx. Shanghai's best feature is the addition of zoomed-in tiles that help you to see the pieces more easily. It's an essential addition for any portable version of the venerable classic.

I never played Lynx Shanghai when I owned a Lynx, but became completely hooked years later when I discovered the Handy emulator. I would say this is arguably the system's best puzzle game, equally good as Klax and Loopz. The challenge is extremely high and there's always enough incentive for just one more try. An absolute must for puzzle fans.

hoKuiacl.jpg

Block Out (1991)

Block Out is a puzzler from California Dreams, who published a number of titles on home computer formats. It's different from Alexey Pajitnov's Welltris, which was also an attempt to create a 3D Tetris. Here, you are looking down into the pit as pieces fall away from you. You can rotate the pieces in three dimensions and stacked horizontally or vertically. There are three different varieties of cube shapes from standard "flat" to "out of control," and you can select the dimensions of the pit.

This game has nowhere near the charm or simple immediacy of Tetris. The graphics are fine but the audio is virtually nonexistent, and the lack of any in-game music royally sucks. It's too damned quiet! The more complex 3D cubes are also very difficult to wrap your head around, which is why I always play with "flat" shapes.

That said, Block Out does have its charms and it does grow on you. I find myself going back for another quick round every few minutes. The difficulty does ramp up nicely and you do get that sense of panic when you miss that perfect triple-score drop. This game was warmly received on home computer platforms, and it's easy to see why.

Seriously, though, put some damn music into this game.

OS6J4isl.jpg

Fidelity Ultimate Chess Challenge (1991)

There once was a time when every home gaming system needed one good chess program, and here's one for Lynx. You can choose to play against a friend or the computer, where several difficulty settings are available. You can view the board at a 3D or 2D overhead angle, although I tend to prefer the latter as the former is angled a touch low. You have the option to play with out without a timer, and the computer can suggest moves for you.

The computer AI plays a decent game of chess, even on the easiest difficulty setting. However, it takes forever to make a move on the higher settings, which is completely unforgivable on a portable system where you can literally hear the batteries draining away. There's no excuse for that. The pacing really needs to step up a notch.

Presentation is minimal, graphics are purely functional and audio is virtually nonexistent. But this is to be expected and is common for video chess programs of the era, which were always bare-bones and somewhat dull. What else is there to say? If you wanted to play chess on Atari Lynx, here you go. It delivers exactly as promised and nothing more.

L6cYsmWl.jpg

Ishido: The Way of Stones (1991)

Ishido has a very interesting history. It was created by a small software team called Publishing International, composed of Michael Feinberg, Ian Gilman and Michael Sandige. The game was created for the Macintosh and was intended to be published by Epyx, until their sudden collapse and bankruptcy in 1990. The software team decided to self-publish the game themselves in a Japanese-style walnut slip box. The resulting buzz led to a publishing deal with Accolade which led to mass release on home computers and consoles.

Shanghai creator Brodie Lockard assisted with the graphics, and the two game feel like mirror images of one another. Where Shanghai involves removing matching pairs of tiles, Ishido requires you to place matching tiles onto a board, either by shape or color. Bonus points are awarded for two- to four-way matches, where one side must match the color and the other the shape. Your goal is to place all of your tiles onto the board, which is actually quite difficult.

The Lynx version looks superb, featuring easily recognizable sets of tiles and good sense of color. There's even a fireworks display at the beginning and end, which is a nice touch. Audio is extremely minimal, almost zen, and there is no music. There are several gameplay modes, including solitaire, cooperative play and tournament, and there is even an "oracle" that peppers in nuggets of wisdom from time to time. It all adds to the ancient zen feel of the game.

This game is highly overlooked, even among Lynx fans, but the gameplay is solid and engaging and puzzle fans should love it.

t0CZS3El.jpg

Super Skweek (1991)

Super Skweek is the second in a series of action-puzzle games that was very popular on Amstrad CPC, Atari ST and Commodore Amiga. You play as a fuzzy cartoon character who must paint blue blocks pink by running over them, while also avoiding various waves of enemies and collecting food items, balloons and power-ups.

This Lynx version features over 200 stages which should keep you engaged for a very long time. Each of the stages is fairly large and involving, and you have to move quickly to paint those tiles before the timer runs out. You can shoot down enemies including penguins, ghosts and other strange fuzzy things, stealing some coins when they die. You can then purchase power-ups in shops.

Visually, Super Skweek looks colorful and detailed, if a pit pixelated. Once again, there is no in-game music but plenty of loud booming sound effects. I find the controls to be a touch wonky, in that the character runs freely and not along the grid patterns of the floor. Either Squeek should run along a grid or he should have diagonal movements. Maybe it's just me, and I'll leave it to longtime fans to have the final say.

Sqweek co-creator Laurent Arditi considers this Atari Lynx version to be the definitive version, so take that for what it's worth.

AqHsg1wl.jpg

Crystal Mines 2 (1992)

Crystal Mines 2 is wonderfully polished and perfectly executed. It's a spiritual descendant of the classic Boulderdash, and a direct sequel created by Color Dreams for the NES. Those were the folks who created unlicensed NES games and later evolved into a publisher of Christian-themed videogames, some of which were good and others not so good. Two titles, Exodus and Joshua, are also spin-offs of Crystal Mines.

I think it helps tremendously that Ken Beckett, the game's designer and programmer, had experience working with NES, as this sequel benefits greatly from tile graphics and a clean visual design. The graphics aren't muddy or pixelated, but detailed subtle splashes of detail and color. Everything looks great on the small Lynx screen and the sprites are the proper size, neither zoomed in nor shrunk down. And, hey, we actually get in-game music for once, and it's actually good. Yay!

The goal of the game is to clear a minimal of crystals and gems before reaching the exit. There are also many bonus items to find in the dirt, and plenty of dangerous monsters who would love to stomp you flat. Many stages also feature hidden areas, and the game's collection of 150 levels are supported by another 30 bonus stages. Password save is provided and highly welcome.

I grew up playing Boulderdash on Atari 800XL, so Crystal Mines 2 is tailor made just for me. It's never too difficult but always engaging, and fills a void for NES-style videogames that Lynx so desperately needed. Highly recommended.

Q6K7cB4l.jpg

Dinolympics (1992)

Dinolympics is another name for The Humans, created by legendary videogame designer Rod Humble for Imagitec Design. This puzzle game requires you to use groups of humans to navigate through environments to find objects, kill dinosaurs or reach an exit. Comparisons to Lemmings are common, but it's really closer to The Lost Vikings stage design and execution.

This is a very tough and at times unforgiving game, where a single mistake can scuttle the entire mission and force you to start all over again. You learn your way through trial-and-error, and because of this, players can become frustrated. However, I've never found the difficulty to be too high, and it's best played in short sessions, which makes the Lynx the perfect home for a title such as this.

Graphics are simple but very effective. There's nothing that pushes the Lynx hardware, and some background animation would have been nice, but at least the character designs are good. And we also have in-game music, which could have sounded a bit better, but we'll take it over nothing.

Really, your biggest obstacle in Dinolympics is time. You'll have to learn how to clear each stage, and then learn how to clear them quickly. Again, a lot of trial-and-error to pad out the game time, where more stages would have been easier. Oh, well. Small complaint for a very solid game, and definitely a hidden gem in the Lynx library.

TM6Hcqel.jpg

Lemmings (1993)

The Lynx was miraculously blessed with two Psygnosis classics, Shadow of the Beast and Lemmings, which are two of the strongest titles on the system. If only there were more games of this quality, and only if they had arrived two or three years earlier, things might have changed for the better. I certainly would love to have seen more Amiga classics like The Killing Game Show on Lynx.

Lemmings is a classic puzzle game where you guide large packs of lemmings towards an exit. As they all walk forward regardless of any danger, you must assign tasks to certain individuals to stop traffic, dig downward, climb upward, or pull out an umbrella before jumping off a ledge. The beginning stages are fairly easy, but you will find yourself duly challenged by some fiendishly clever stage designs.

The Lynx translation of Lemmings is absolutely superb, one of the few 4-megabit (512k) games for the handheld. The graphics are slightly zoomed in to take advantage of the small screen and the job icons are placed on a secondary screen, which is a great convenience. The chiptune music is wonderful excellent bliss, showing off the audio powers of the Lynx. I was doubly impressed with the animated title sequence as well, as this game knocked my socks off when I first played it at 1993 Summer CES.

While this game was ported to every major video and computer game platform, the Lynx version is magnificent and easily a "generation ahead" of the Gameboy, GB Color and Game Gear ports. Atari really needed more games like this.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Lynx Reviews Part 6: Sports Games

Today, we're going to be looking at sports games on Atari Lynx. I'm not going to lie to you, this is going to hurt. The Lynx was an absolute train wreck when it came to sports, and many of these are among the worst titles for the system. But some good surprises lie in store, so fasten your seat belts and let's go:

UH1aYkXl.jpg

Robo-Squash (1990)

Robo-Squash always felt like an impressive tech demo for Atari Lynx that never quite worked as a full videogame. It's a 3D game similar to Pong or Breakout where two sides knock a giant red ball at one another. Your goal is to break three balls against their screen. You can also break a series of blocks in the middle of the playfield and collect several power-up icons, including one that allows your paddle to hold the ball and another that allows you to see where incoming shots will land.

It's a simple concept and works fairly well in theory, but in practice becomes somewhat repetitive and tedious and not much fun. The major fault is that you cannot guide the ball in any direction. Where Breakout allowed you to aim your shots (as always, thanks, Woz), in Robo-Squash your paddle cannot steer or aim the ball in any direction. According to the manual, the ball's speed increases every five seconds, but I've never noticed this. Perhaps that was a feature that didn't make the final cut.

It's also possible that this game benefits from multiplayer, and the sense of repetition comes from playing the computer opponent who rarely misses the ball. This game certainly looks and sounds nice, like all the early Lynx titles, so it does work as a show-off for the hardware.

FCyJWpYl.jpg

Awesome Golf (1991)

Despite its woefully generic title, Awesome Golf lives up to its name. This is the first Lynx game created by Hand Made Software, who proved themselves to be one of the most reliable studios for the system. They had an excellent grasp of the hardware as well as an understanding of modern videogame design, while many Lynx developers seemed stuck in 1982.

This game features three 18-hole courses, all of which are varied and challenging. Controls are simple and intuitive as you select your clubs, the direction of your shot and the power swing. Your golfer is simply drawn but smoothly animated, and an overhead view shows the field scaling as the ball rises and falls. You even get a nice little digitized gopher voice when you land the ball in the cup. And the music is wonderfully chirpy and melodic, sounding very much like Gameboy at its best (this is a good thing).

I'd say that Awesome Golf is the best Lynx sports title almost by default. It actually works! The only thing that would make this perfect would an easter egg code to let us play Ninja Golf, which, as everybody knows, is the greatest videogame involving ninjas who golf.

C25hpFjl.jpg

Baseball Heroes (1992)

Ugh, this is absolutely terrible, just completely unplayable. Where do I begin? There are only four fictional teams in this game, none based in US cities. There is no MLB or Players license. The batter and pitcher animations are painfully slow and useless. When thrown, the ball just floats in the air with no sense of depth or space. It's nearly impossible to tell if any pitches can be hit. There is no way to aim your swings. Fielding is shown in an overhead view seemingly from the blimp, with tiny players that crawl at a snail's pace. Fielding and running is impossible. The graphics are terrible and barely use more than a handful of colors. And every time a strike is called, the umpire boos you. You're actually being booed for playing this game.

Baseball Heroes might be the worst baseball videogame of all time. I'm serious. I honestly cannot think of one that plays worse. I cannot fathom what the Tramiel Clan was thinking. They let the Lynx sit on store shelves for three years before releasing a baseball game, only to drop this manure pile onto store shelves? Nintendo had a Gameboy Baseball game on day freaking one.

The only thing worse is knowing there are three other Lynx sports games that are equally bad. Welcome to the abyss.

d29hUKbl.jpg

Basketbrawl (1992)

Basketbrawl has one good quality in its favor, and that's the music, which is really catchy with thumping beats that remind me of the Castlevania series on Gameboy. Beyond that, everything is a complete mess. The idea is that this is a combination of basketball and street fighting, neither of which are done well.

As a sports game, Basketbrawl doesn't include jumps, blocking, dunking or even teammates, although your opponent gets to have teammates in later rounds. As a fighting game, all that really happens is that everybody punches at one another, including some heavies on the sidelines who just show up to knock you around. Your overall strategy is simple: pick up a weapon like a stick (I guess it's supposed to be a knife, but with these 2600 graphics, it's a mystery) and poke the opposing player until he's knocked out, then walk to the hoop and make several free baskets until he recovers or some other goons beat you up. Rinse, repeat.

The graphics are terrible and would look awful on ColecoVision. The gameplay is broken and the whole exercise is just useless. I suspect the developers, Hamilton & Associates, were probably just paid in Tic-Tacs. If you were to buy a videogame called "Life Is Meaningless And You Are Going To Die," it still wouldn't be as depressing as this.

To repeat: you have no teammates. You cannot jump. You cannot make dunks. There are no three-point shots. Fighting involves nothing more than poking someone until they fall over for ten seconds. Everything about the gameplay sucks.

fLjFM4Ll.jpg

Hockey (1992)

Hockey on Lynx has the one virtue of being, well, not terrible, which means that the controls aren't entirely broken and you can move your players around the ice smoothly. If you're in the right mood, you might even have a fun time. However, face-offs and shots on goal are mostly a matter of luck, fights are entirely useless, and passing the puck to your teammates doesn't give you control of that player. Huh? Basically, your strategy is to hog the puck and crash into the goalie in hopes of scoring a goal. Forget about offense, defense or strategy.

This is really Mario Lemieux Hockey on Sega Genesis, also by Alpine Studios. The graphics look very similar, although everything is tiny and pixelated on the Lynx. Why can't we get the larger player models from the main stats screens? All NHL Teams (unlicensed) are present, but there is no season or playoff mode, only a single match.

I'd rate this somewhere between Average and Frustrating. Honestly, I think Blades of Steel on Gameboy looks and plays better, and don't get me started on EA's NHL Hockey series on Genesis. At least Hockey is somewhat playable, which is more than I can say for most other Lynx sports titles.

u6iTbMYl.jpg

NFL Football (1992)

NFL Football on the Atari Lynx is so terrible, I can't even find a decent screenshot of the cover. Nobody even wants to look at it. Even AtariAge doesn't want to touch this lemon with a ten-foot pole. Once again, we have another sports game that is broken, unplayable, ugly as sin and entirely useless.

This game is played in "portrait mode" and features all NFL teams and logos. No exhibition, pre-season, season, playoff or franchise mode is available. There are no trades or substitutions or scouting reports. There are no players, not even numbers to identify them. You only can play a single game in a single stadium between two teams of identical generic players.

Passing is a mess. You move a cursor and aim towards one of your receivers, or more realistically, you move the cursor and throw in the two seconds before your QB gets sacked. Maybe you'll get lucky, maybe you won't. Running plays also impossible to perform and useless, anyway, since any contact with players means instant tackle. Graphics are minimal and focus on awkward screen zooming (ala Neo-Geo), and audio is mostly useless aside from some muddled digitized speech samples and 2600-style white noise.

This football game is a major regression from Tournament Cyberball. All BlueSky Software needed to do was adapt that gameplay engine and fix its flaws. Instead, they create an original game that loses all of Cyberball's strengths, keeps all its flaws, then piles on all new failures just for kicks. NFL Football is an absolute disaster, just about the worst football videogame ever made. Seriously, did none of these guys play Tecmo Bowl or Madden?

JrbR470l.jpg

Pinball Jam (1992)

A compilation of two real-life pinball machines featuring lion police and Elvira, Mistress of the Dark? Yep, that's the sort of unique quirkiness that defines Atari at their best, and Pinball Jam is suitably unique, quirky and weird. I'm a terrific fan of this game and find myself returning for a few plays every now and then.

Pinball Jam features two Williams pinball machines, Elvira & the Party Monsters and Police Force. Both boards are faithfully recreated with all the major elements preserved. The color design is a little flat, relying too heavily on primary and secondary colors, but this was likely the limitations of the Lynx's color display (16 colors out of 4,096) and it's certainly acceptable by 1992 standards.

Joel Seider was the programmer and artist, and he was a longtime Atari employee who also worked on Pac-Land as well as the unreleased Vindicators, 720 and Rolling Thunder. The terrific chiptune music was handled by Music Comp's David Tumminaro and Chuck Steneck, with additional music by Jason Stephenitch. A number of digitized audio samples are also included in the game.

Both boards are finely detailed and include many targets and goals, but are not overly complex or difficult. The pinball physics are solid but a little floaty, which is again common for its era. Kaze were really the only ones to get videogame pinball right. Just make your peace with that and you'll be fine.

GurMMTJl.jpg

World Class Fussball/Soccer (1992)

Atari Corp. made epic disasters out of baseball, football and basketball, so why not soccer? Maybe they were deliberately trying to make the worst sports videogame just to make the other software teams feel better about themselves. "Hey, at least my game wasn't as crappy as that one." In that sense, World Class Soccer is a resounding success.

The heart of this soccer game is a playfield that scales in and out during play, much like the early Neo-Geo titles. However, this is coupled with a choppy frame rate, resulting in graphics that are extremely jumpy and almost random. There is rarely any sense of perspective, only backgrounds of green stripes and pixelated players that zoom in and out constantly as the camera follows the ball. You don't know where you or other players are, your position on the field, or any sense of where you're going.

This game is completely unplayable, impossible to control, score points or even look at properly. Honestly, if you spent the next five minutes spinning yourself in endless circles, you wouldn't be half as disoriented as you'd be playing this dung heap. Another candidate for "worst sports videogame of all time."

EY62zNdl.jpg

European Soccer Challenge (1993)

Euoprean Soccer Challenge was immediately embraced by the Lynx community just for the virtue of not being World Class Soccer. We loved it just for the fact that it actually worked and was playable. You can actually see the field and the other players. The screen isn't zooming in and out of control like you're hopped up on speedballs. The buttons actually work when you press them. Will wonders never cease!

This game features 170 soccer clubs from 32 nations, and it's enjoyable to play lesser-known teams against one another. You can play friendly or tournament, select the length of the periods, and a number of control options are available. All of the major soccer moves are at your disposal, including adding curves to your kicks. Additional bonus elements include wind-assisted kicks, balls bouncing off uneven pitch, or cancelled games due to weather, pitch or excessive fouls.

European Soccer Challenge is an adaptation of Manchester United Europe, also created by Krisalis Software for the Amiga in 1990. This Lynx version features nearly identical graphics, with a few cut-scenes added when referees hand out yellow cards. It is uncertain whether this title was ever commercially released in the US (the cover is just a cheap ripoff of Intellivision Soccer), but boxed copies can be found at various online retailers as well as Ebay.

Graphics are very solid with good use of color and texture on the field. You can make out the other players and easily see where you need to go. On the downside, there is virtually no audio and no crowd sounds whatsoever, even when you score a goal. Such an oversight is baffling.

Overall, European Soccer Challenge game easily ranks among the top three sports games for the Lynx. Pity the ship arrived too late to save a drowning witch.

qIWpyS0l.jpg

Jimmy Connor's Tennis (1993)

Jimmy Connor's Tennis arrives courtesy of Hand Made Software, whose Awesome Golf and Malibu Bikini Volleyball stand as Lynx's strongest sports titles. It features singles and doubles play, grass and hard court surfaces, male and female players, 4P multiplayer mode and password save. You can select a practice match or challenge opponents in a quest to climb the rankings and reach the number one position.

Graphics are detailed and show off an impressive amount of color, including a nice digitized image of Jimmy Connor on the title screen. The scoreboard is easily readable and appears at the back fence behind the court. On the downside, the players are tiny and their key animation frames are clumsy. which causes problems when trying to hit the ball.

Personally, I find it difficult to hit the ball consistently, and this is partly due to the tiny graphics and partly due to the animation. Connecting that shot with your racket requires precise timing and positioning, which results in my whiffing open air far too often. You use the A and B buttons to swing to your left and right sides, and this proves needlessly complicated. With practice, you learn the trick is to swing half a second early, but even then, you'll miss a lot.

Jimmy Connor's Tennis frustrates me more than it should, and I remind myself that its steep learning curve can be overcome with practice. But it's annoying that it should be so hard to hit the doggone ball. The cursor icon helps to show you where to go, but even then, the timing is extremely touchy and precise.

Lynx fans who enjoy multiplayer sports games should still check this game out. It does feature a large number of digitized voice samples, which are very cleanly spoken and show off the system's audio abilities nicely.

NeMxDwZl.jpg

Krazy Ace Miniature Golf (1993)

Krazy Ace Miniature Golf is the rarest and most expensive game in the Atari Lynx software library, having been released quietly in 1993 and quietly forgotten. It regularly goes for hundreds of dollars on Ebay, thus demonstrating once again the old saw that there's a sucker born every minute. This game isn't worth the price of a candy bar.

This game features nine holes of mini golf for up to four players. You can select your name and ball color and then proceed to overdose on sleeping pills as you play through some very dull course designs. Expect to be frustrated as each hole features obstacles that require precise timing to proceed, such as a giant clown head with moving teeth, or a cannon that blasts your ball away from the hole, a parade of ducks swimming through a pond, or a giant whale whose mouth opens and closes.

The controls are simple as you can easily set the direction and speed of your shot, but you are limited by the number of angles and this becomes a problem when trying to make angled shots on many holes. Sometimes the ball hits a funky angle, like when crossing a bridge. Water hazards always send you back to the very beginning. The pacing and speed of your ball is somewhat sluggish. Are we sure this game wasn't coded in BASIC?

The worst part of Krazy Ace? This nine-hole mini golf course only has seven holes. That's right, you loop back to the beginning on the final two holes. Talk about lazy programming. It's little wonder that nobody ever wanted their name attached to this project. Add in some extremely basic 8-bit graphics and audio that would embarrass an Atari 800, and the end result is crushing, tedious boredom.

Telegames appeared to only sell this title via mail order, and proper game cards weren't even used. The package comes with a green PCB board instead. If this isn't the worst videogame ever made for the Lynx, it surely is the laziest.

Tvf9MVKl.jpg

Malibu Bikini Volleyball (1993)

Malibu Bikini Volleyball suffers from an embarrassingly stupid name, which was obviously chosen in a desperate attempt to appeal to lonely teenage boys. I'm not sure what the point is, since the only "bikini" action you'll find is a single digitized image of a swimsuit model during the title sequence. Such shameless pandering was all too common in the videogame business of the early 1990s.

Thankfully, this videogame matters where it counts. Hand Made Software delivers a supremely playable and fun little gem, one much better than I was expecting. Players have the option of five gameplay levels including male or female athletes, friendly and tournament matches, wind strength, ball speed, time length and points to win.

Player control is very easy, allowing you to hit underhand or overhand serves and shots. You can even jump at the net to block incoming shots or dive over the sand to save that low volley. An cursor shows you where to go, and collision detection is far more forgiving than in Jimmy Connor's Tennis, guaranteeing that players will have a far better chance to hit the ball and not whiff open air.

Character sprites are properly sized and it's easy to see everything. There are two different locations depending on friendly or tournament play, and the onlookers in the stands will move their heads back and forth to follow the action. Colors are suitably warm-toned and richly animated. One cool feature is the game's virtual CD boombox, which allows you to program or shuffle the excellent chiptune music. Ten audio tracks are included, which is just magnificent.

Volleyball is not usually a sport that translates easily to videogames, which, like Tennis, is really just another variation on Pong. I still remember the volleyball games in Video Olympics on Atari 2600 with all its supremely abstract weirdness. Malibu Bikini Volleyball gets everything right and delivers a very fun, competitive experience. This is probably the best sports game on Atari Lynx, especially where multiplayer is concerned.

Last edited:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Lynx Reviews Part 7: Multiplayer Games

In this episode of our Atari Lynx retrospective, we'll take a look at the remaining multiplayer games. This includes some of the most beloved titles for the system. I promise it won't be as painful as the sports games (the pain will resume in the next episode). Here we go:

qDN88tol.jpg

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (1991)

Atari Corp. had a great talent for creating unorthodox game ideas. Think of Ninja Golf, Midnight Mutants Starring "Grandpa" Al Lewis, Kung Food or Attack of the Mutant Penguins. They really were the Ed Wood of videogames. In that sense, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure makes perfect sense. A game based on a weird 80s movie starring Keanu Reeves, Alex Winter and George Carlin and featuring a time machine that totally rips off Doctor Who? Sure, why not?

The great surprise is that this makes for a very good videogame, better than anyone expected. It's an action-adventure set in an 2D overhead view where you travel to different time periods in order to collect and retrieve items in a quest to rescue your kidnapped girlfriends. There is a lot of back-and-forth across the different locations, and you'll even have to leave written notes in order to avoid causing a time paradox.

Much of the game involves walking or running around mazes and avoiding various bugs and monsters, which is harder than it needs to be thanks to the slightly jerky motions (you walking along a grid pattern). I'm reminded a little of Chip's Challenge, which is also very tough and demanding. Persistence is rewarded, and after a frustrating start, the game begins to open up and you'll do better.

The visuals are very clean and detailed with nice touches of animation in water and lava as well as the cool motion of your non-TARDIS zapping in and out of places. There's even a nice scaling effect when you land. The chiptune music is good and varied but a little on the grating side. It's not Gameboy quality but could be worse. Al Baker & Associates were responsible for Bill & Ted, and they also created Lynx Paperboy and Pit-Fighter.

N1lsdBYl.jpg

Checkered Flag (1991)

Checkered Flag is one of the signature classics for Atari Lynx, one of those games that immediately comes to mind even among the most casual of fans. It features extremely competitive and challenging auto racing, playing very much like the direct descendent of Pole Position, but with six human players and multiple computer cars competing on the tracks.

This game features allows you to practice, compete a single heat or enter a championship. You can select the number of computer-controlled cars (from zero to nine), automatic or manual transmissions, car color and even male or female driver. 18 courses are included in all, and they're a wonderfully varied and complex collection. Some courses are extremely simple and include only a few gentle curves, while others are so fiendishly devious as to hurl you through one hairpin turn into the next without two seconds to breathe.

The computer cars put up a tough fight and they're relentless. By this, I mean that they will constantly crash into you, causing a very slow spinout and bringing you to a complete stop. Any contact with another vehicle, even a single pixel, causes a crash, which in most cases is enough to cost you the race. It's especially annoying when you get hit from behind through no fault of your own. Add in the narrow track width (either the tracks are too small or the cars too large), and the sense of claustrophobia seriously creeps in.

Thankfully, I find the steering to be solid and the controls subtle enough to understand the difference between varying sets of curves and hairpin turns. I have to find an ideal racing line in order to shave micro-seconds off my time, which can often mean the difference between winning and losing. When an opposing car is crowding my rear-view mirror, there's a real sense of tension as I try to keep my distance and not cause any crashes.

Graphics features excellent 3D sprite scaling of the road and surrounding objects, including trees, rocks, farm animals, trash cans and billboards advertising Atari games and computers. Sound effects include loud roars of the engines and an echoed digitized voice sample announcing the start of each race. One bit of Atari weirdness: the winner of each race is greeted by a male or female swimsuit model, depending on the gender of the driver.

Checkered Flag succeeds in the one area where it absolutely must: you can play in short bursts, which rivals California Games as the defining "bus stop" game for Atari Lynx. It's perfect for a quick five-minute run, even when those damned spinouts make me want to punch walls.

IViGM6Xl.jpg

Warbirds (1991)

Warbirds is another signature Lynx title, an aerial combat sim where you fly a World War I biplane. There are a variety of missions and customizable options, but all pretty much come down to the same thing: shoot planes out of the sky. Add in 4P multiplayer and you've probably got the definitive deathmatch on the go.

This game looks terrific, with extremely smooth graphics featuring a mixture of 2D sprites in the air and limited 3D polygons on the ground. Your default view is through the cockpit but you can also look to your side, above, behind, or below to your gauges. Machine gun bullets are large and easily seen, and planes erupt in long smoke tails when shot and die in fiery explosions. You are even treated to a couple digitized photos when you win or die.

Movement is very swift and smooth, and you can perform any number of complex aerial maneuvers with ease. You will have to factor in altitude and speed when climbing and turning, and you will have to account for gravity when firing your machine guns. More advanced tactics include hiding in clouds to evade or sneak up on your enemies, and knowing when to cut the engines to slow down or dive down for the kill.

The computer opponents put up a fair challenge, but the real appeal of Warbirds is multiplayer. If you have others to play against, then this is just about the best Atari Lynx game ever made. Playing solo is less rewarding and somewhat repetitive, as there are no missions or story modes. You fly around and shoot down biplanes, nothing more or less, What more do ya need?

TmRib6dl.jpg

Lynx Casino (1992)

Lynx Casino is an interesting game where you visit a Las Vegas casino, complete with loud, tacky carpeting and colorful characters, and gamble your virtual money at the gaming tables. You can play video poker, blackjack, craps, roulette and slots. Each of these games are recreated accurately from their real-life counterparts.

You control a businessman who walks around the casino, visiting the various tables and machines. You begin with $1,000, and the cashier can extend you credit of an additional $1,000 if you lose everything. After that, you probably get kicked out of the joint and buried in the desert by mobsters who look like Joe Pesci. I'm just guessing on that last point. I haven't managed to lose all my money yet, but I am trying my best.

I've never been a big fan of video casino games, but Lynx Casino has a nice sense of style. I enjoy being able to walk around the casino and chat with the patrons, including an Elvis impersonator and a Japanese visitor who loves Godzilla movies and might be a Nintendo employee. I only wish there were more of them, and that I could take in a show and visit the buffet.

The actual gambling itself is pretty involving, especially the craps and roulette tables. I do wish there was a video poker table instead of the machines, or maybe a few more games, or maybe a choice of different characters to play, but that's probably just being greedy. Everything is presented in a nice cartoon style that isn't too cluttered, aside from those famously loud carpet patterns. It's enjoyable in shorts bursts, which is exactly what the Atari Lynx needed.

CRkjtuul.jpg

BattleWheels (1993)

For many Lynx fans in 1993, BattleWheels was the greatest thing that ever happened. It was like the second coming of The Ramones or Soundgarden, a loud blast of excitement that felt like a glorious rebirth for the struggling handheld. Chris Bienieck of Video Games & Computer Entertainment said it best: "As a game, it beats the pants off 85% of the current Lynx library."

This game is a combat racing game, set in a dystopian Mad Max universe. You can select a pre-made or custom vehicle, your car's color, your player-character, the number and skill level of computer opponents, and single or team combat.

The custom mode allows you to build your car from scratch, and you'll have to fit everything within budget and weight restrictions. Fans of Steve Jackson's Car Wars will absolutely love this. You can arm your vehicle with machine guns, rockets, mines, flamethrowers and paint guns, and place them on the front, sides or rear of the vehicle. In combat, you battle in 16 different arenas littered with obstacles and tall structures strewn about. The goal is to hunt down and destroy all the rival cars or teams, running over the wreckage if necessary.

One super-cool feature is the ability to jump out of your car and run on foot, either to collect moneybags (which you need for upgrades and repairs) or to escape a flaming wreck. Best part: stealing empty cars! Second Best Part: running over your rivals! Tell me this isn't the greatest thing ever.

BattleWheels features superb 3D sprite scaling, terrific color and aggressive gameplay. The controls are complex and deep once mastered become second nature. Single-player games are fun, but this game is clearly meant for multiplayer deathmatch. That's where its true spirit lies. What a magnificent thrill ride.

Last edited:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Lynx Reviews Part 8: Single-Player Games (That Don't Suck)

We are now rounding down to the final three episodes in our comprehensive series on Atari Lynx. For this episode, we will be looking at the remaining single-player games that are, well, not terrible. Some are good, some are passable, and one is a stone-cold classic. Let's a-go!

xS1V9i1l.jpg

Dracula: The Undead (1991)

Dracula: The Undead was the first (and only) adventure-RPG released during the Lynx's commercial lifespan. Because of this, it was greeted with great anticipation from fans, who quickly fell in love with its wonderfully moody graphics and haunting music. Hand Made Software had delivered their most ambitious title for the handheld system, but one that remains shrouded in mystery.

When you begin, you are welcomed into the den of Bram Stoker, who proceeds "by the magic of technology" to narrate his famous vampire tale. You then play the character of Johnathan Harker inside Count Dracula's castle. You must explore the rooms, examine objects and talk to various people as you work your way around. You interact with a set of menu items such as "look," "open," "talk" and "climb," as you attempt to solve riddles and find a way to escape. I am reminded of the great Shadowgate on NES, one of the classic graphic adventure games.

The visuals are depicted purely in sepia tones, which adds a wonderful atmosphere. Your character scales in and out as he moves around the rooms, and there are several illustrated cut-scenes during crucial moments. These are some of the best graphics on Lynx, and demonstrate the true untapped potential of the system. This adventure is compelling and gripping, with more than a few surprises along the way.

Dracula: The Undead suffers from one major fault: it ends far too soon and without resolving the major conflicts. You do not defeat Dracula, but merely escape from his castle via the horse stable. This is because the game was released in an incomplete state. According to the developers, Dracula was intended to be a 4-megabit game, but Atari Corp. balked at the idea of spending the extra money, demanding that the game be cut to half its size.

According to unconfirmed rumors, a "complete" 512K version of Dracula does exist, but this has never been confirmed. If it does exist, then it would likely be in the hands of a private collector. It is equally likely that the program code for the complete version was destroyed or lost. Photos of unseen areas of Dracula's castle (such as the armory) were publicly shown, providing evidence to this story, but Dracula's final fate remains a mystery.

dSKfrCJl.jpg

Scrapyard Dog (1991)

Scrapyard Dog is a 2D platform game created by Creative Software Designs, a little-known developer who also wrote software for Commodore 64. It is obvious they were aiming to create the Lynx answer to Super Mario. In this game, you play a junkyard owner named Louis whose dog is kidnapped, and sets out in pursuit across cities, forests, arctic tundras and medieval castles. You run and jump much like Mario and are equipped with weapons like a tin can that can be thrown at enemies. At many locations, hidden bonus rooms are available where you can play mini-games, and shops where you can buy power-ups like guns and shields.

Graphics are extremely primitive, simply drawn and poorly animated. It is nowhere near the level of Mario or any modern (at the time) platforming game. Sound effects and music are equally basic, little more than Atari 2600 blips and bonks. Louie's running and jumping physics are also extremely basic, a touch slow and stiff. BlueSky Software, the veteran developers of the Atari 7800 version of Scrapyard Dog, really should have handled this Lynx version.

Oftentimes, what held Lynx back was a lack of resources and skilled software developers. Scrapyard Dog simply doesn't compete with the platform games of its day, but feels more like a zero-budget homebrew title. That said, it does have a certain honest charm and if you make your peace with its faults, you might have a decent time. The varied worlds are nice and the secret bonus rooms and warps give you something new to find.

73AJiwVl.jpg

Power Factor (1992)

Power Factor is the Lynx translation of an Atari ST game called Red Ace, where a red-clad hero runs and shoots through a series of 2D side-scrolling mazes, shooting geometric enemies, dodging flames and electrical bolts without getting blown to bits. It is very similar to PC games of the era like the original Duke Nukem.

Compared to the ST original, this Lynx translation by Hand Made Software is excellent, sporting wonderfully shaded graphics filled with grey-toned space stations and fiery explosions. The main character looks simple but is smoothly animated. Audio is largely composed of standard-issue booming explosions, with a couple excellent pieces of chiptune music at the title and game over screens. Sadly, this means no in-game music once again.

Compared to run-and-gun arcade games, however, Power Factor is sloppy. Your basic weapon is woefully underpowered and power-up items are too limited. Most enemies seem to move outside your line of sight, making for awkward attempts to crouch and shoot at an angle. Enemies such as turrets that shoot fireballs are especially annoying as you'll take several hits before they're destroyed.

This game would have benefitted from a simpler control scheme, as the need to toggle inventory items, run, duck, jump and fly all become somewhat awkward and sluggish. The smarter move would be to remove the item inventory completely and carry one weapon instead of eight.

I find the controls and weapons system to be needlessly complicated, and these mechanics should have been simplified to bring Power Factor in line with console action-shooters. Fans of Red Ace and the 2D Duke Nukem games will have the most fun. The hero on the cover with his laughably outdated haircut couldn't be more apt. Power Factor is a time capsule for late '80s computer games, for better or for worse.

q2JUr4rl.jpg

Shadow of the Beast (1992)

Shadow of the Beast amply demonstrates the true potential of the Atari Lynx, and we see happens when skilled software teams are put in charge. It's also perfectly appropriate that this "Portable Amiga" would be home to one of the Amiga's most beloved classics.

This game is a 2D platformer set in an otherworldly fantasy setting, as you play a man who has been mutated into a strange beast. Your journey takes you through a long, green valley and a series of underground caves, where you battle armed foes, winged creatures, and all sorts of deadly obstacles that rumble in your path. It is a famously difficult game, one that requires equal parts reflexes and persistence, but never feels unfair.

Digital Developments, the software team, delivers wonderfully vivid color graphics on the Lynx, arguably the best sprite artwork in the entire library. It is extremely close to the Amiga, with magnificent parallax scrolling, color saturation and smooth character animation. The music is equally exciting, a solid selection of moody and hypnotic chiptune songs that are miles ahead of the BLONK-CLONK-QUACK audio expected of this system. I really wish this team had more time to share their skills and tools with other software developers.

Shadow of the Beast is the finest 2D platform game on Atari Lynx. It towers over its peers and proves just what this portable system is capable of achieving.

K0OYUnSl.jpg

Switchblade 2 (1992)

Of all the classic games from Gremlin to bring to Lynx, why this one? Why not Monty on the Run, Lotus, Utopia, Top Gear, Zool, or Space Crusade? Switchblade is not a terrible videogame by any means, but it is certainly one of the weaker titles from the legendary software studio. Atari chose the correct software developers but the wrong title.

In its defense, Switchblade 2 is a competent 2D scrolling platformer, and I am pleasantly surprised to report that it is better than I had expected. This sounds a little like a backhanded compliment, but when looking at the genre titles on Lynx, "competent" brings you near the head of the pack.

This game is very similar to Shinobi, Strider or NES Ninja Gaiden in that you control an anime character armed with a sword and projectile weapons in a quest to destroy aliens and robots in a variety of sci-fi environments. The level designs follow the layered, intricate style of NES and Genesis games, and you can see that Gremlin's designers paid attention.

There are three major faults I can cite: the graphics are extremely tiny and simple, sound effects are minimal with (once again) no in-game music and only a handful of short sound effects, and the speed is agonizingly slow. Its graphics and audio fall far below the standards of Game Boy and Game Gear.

Again, in its defense, Switchblade 2 is very playable and translated flawlessly from the Atari ST. Controls are responsive, level designs well designed. The bosses are complete pushovers, and the game is ugly as sin, but at least the game is competent, which automatically puts it near the top of Lynx platform games.

GpJjw4fl.jpg

Desert Strike: Return to the Gulf (1993)

The arrival of the Sega Genesis classic Desert Strike was a welcome surprise in 1993. This was the same year Lynx fans were given BattleWheels, Double Dragon and European Soccer Challenge, so it began to feel like a renaissance was afoot. Unfortunately, that was not to happen, but it was great to imagine a world beyond Game Boy pea soup green.

Teque London were the developers behind this translation, and they did a solid job in bringing all the action to the small screen. You pilot an armored helicopter on a series of military missions in the Persian Gulf. Your goals involve rescuing hostages, destroying radar installations, smashing tanks and otherwise living out America's Saddam Hussein revenge fantasies.

The action is strategic and intense, as you hunt down targets and avoid heavy fire while also rescuing hostages. Graphically, the game is very close to its Genesis cousin, with details in the water and desert and nice explosions. You can see some simplifying was needed to fit onto the small Lynx screen, but the developers have managed to capture all the menu and briefing screens. The opening sequence with its digitized actors was cut, which is unfortunate, no doubt to save on card space.

Desert Strike is an essential title for the Lynx, and fills a much-needed void in its software library. This game was also released on Game Gear, but this version easily wins that contest. It's a pity so few gamers got to see this title in action. It's a pity we never saw any other Electronic Arts hits on this system. What I wouldn't give to see Madden or NHL Hockey on the Lynx.

(Update 2/3 1:56 pm: Added Switchblade 2 to the "good" column.)

Last edited:
Just FYI ScrapYard Dog Lynx was not made to compete with Mario, it was an enhanced version and port of the 1990 Atari 7800 game done to show off Lynx power.

Also the Lynx port had better sound than the 7800 imo.

Last edited:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Lynx Reviews Part 9: Single-Player Games (That Do Suck)

In part nine of our Lynx series, we continue to work our way through the remaining single-player games released for the portable system. Unfortunately, these are the bad ones, the bottom of the barrel. Brace yourselves, this is going to get bumpy.

IE9b1cXl.jpg

Viking Child (1991)

Viking Child is populated with tiny, pixelated graphics that appear smudgy and undefined, and it plays out like the world's slowest fantasy adventure platformer. Your character's walking speed is impossibly slow, barely a crawl, with tiny enemies who move just as slowly. Jumping is also extremely slow and falling any respectable distance causes you to tumble and crash in a somersault. One early drop into an underground well takes at least twelve seconds to land, and another three to recover.

As you progress through the environments, you will discover shops where you can purchase items, and later battle slightly larger but equally pixelated bosses that only vaguely resemble animals or monsters. One early boss might be a dragon, or perhaps a gerbil. All I know is that if you poke at it with your stick long enough, he'll blink and disappear, or maybe just get bored and leave.

Your quest sends you on a journey to distant lands that more or less look the same, aside from a slight change in color. Most everything is drawn in green, brown or grey. Level designs allow for too much aimless wandering or jumping along tiny floating platforms. The entire game never seems to build into anything, as you never become faster or more powerful. You're always stumbling, crawling and floating along in a matter that tries the patience of saints. There is no music and only a handful of sound effects.

There is something to be said for basic competence, and Viking Child fails that test for Imagitech Design and Atari Corp. in equal measure. Vindicators and Rolling Thunder were cancelled but this dreary sludge was given the green light? By whom, and why, and what was wrong with them? I feel like the guilty parties need to be put in shackles and displayed in the town square as punishment.

d08HXqhl.jpg

Batman Returns (1992)

In 1992, Atari Corp. successfully secured an official license to create a videogame based on the hotly-anticipated Batman Returns. They paid $100,000 for the rights, plus 10% royalties from the sale of each game card. They released the game on Atari Lynx later that year and it became a minor hit, and was even packed in with Lynx systems to boost sales.

There's only one problem: Batman Returns on Lynx isn't even remotely good. It's a terrible, frustrating mess.

Here is a very basic side-scrolling videogame, where you walk Batman down a linear straight path, only with the occasional upper path for variety. Batman's only attacks are a weak punch and a Batarang that flies slowly and never returns. Enemies constantly swarm you with cheap hits, like the clowns who lob dynamite that cannot be ducked or avoided, or cops that shoot you when you're trying to jump over rooftops, or those organ grinders who hit you with machine guns. The boss fights are an exercise in testing your patience.

Oh, you will be knocked down. A lot. Batman spends most of the game flat on his back. It's especially fun to have to punch the larger circus goons while the white clowns lob dynamite on your head. Stand up, knock down, fight, fight, fight.. Your best hope for survival is to throw caution to the wind and just sprint ahead while jumping constantly.

The visuals are a mixed bag. The background artwork is pretty good and captures many elements from the movie, but constantly repeat themselves in the cheap Hanna-Barbara way. Character designs are terrible, barely above the level of Atari 800 graphics. Batman's animation frames are a joke (the collision detection also seems to be off). Nobody bends their knees when they walk. The music by Bob Vieira is catchy, but the sound effects are standard-issue 2600 noise.

So, to recap: Batman punches like a baby, gets knocked down every three seconds, gets beat up by penguins, and saves the day by running away and jumping like a crazy person while your ears bleed from white noise. Joy.

Xo7iY0Gl.jpg

Dirty Larry: Renegade Cop (1992)

Take everything I wrote about Batman Returns, and remove all the compliments and praises. Then hit your head against the nearest wall until you black out while the television plays the "Poochie" episode of The Simpsons. That's the Dirty Larry experience.

In this side-scrolling action game, you control a "renegade cop" who shuffles down long streets, subway cars, run-down hotel hallways, rusted warehouses and sewers, slowly punching out or shooting random cartoon villains who always seem to get in one or two free hits before going down. You cannot avoid most attacks by crouching down, and jumping is entirely useless and serves no purpose. But he's wearing sunglasses indoors, which means that he's an outrageous paradigm. He's totally in my face!

Every once in a while, a grey box appears on the screen which hands out weapons and ammo. It's rarely enough and you'll find yourself resorting to your bare fists, which are next to useless against most enemies. Your best chance for success in that case lies in hoping the sloppy collision detection will work in your favor and the baddies will simply miss. The entire experience is a never-ending parade of cheap hits and gnawing repetition.

Dirty Larry: Renegade Cop looks terrible, with far too much color dithering, blocky pixels and far too many browns and greys. Character designs are terrible, poorly animated, and once again far below Lynx standards. Sound effects are terrible by 2600 standards and in-game music is nonexistent. This doesn't even play like a finished product, but an early demo that was shuffled out the door.

Knight Technologies' Tom Schenck once noted that Dirty Larry was the first videogame he ever worked on professionally. He was the programmer and also created the sound and music. It shows. The closing credits also list eight playtesters for this game. That can't possibly be true.

CnmMJVIl.jpg

Gordo 106: The Mutated Lab Monkey (1992)

Remember how E.T. on Atari 2600 was famously christened the "Worst Videogame of All Time" because of all those pits you would constantly fall into? Well, it appears that software studio Tenth Planet loved those pits, and they've built a terrible platforming game entirely around them. And so begins Gordo 106: Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.

You play as a lab monkey who has broken free from his cage and, mutated into intelligence via nuclear radiation, who then sets out to liberate all animals trapped by the N. Human corporation. The stages all involve jumping along tables and floating platforms, swinging from lamps and running down corridors. You can knock out scientists, hunters and other foes by throwing apples at them.

Gordo 106 actively wants to punish you as often as possible. Most stages include bottomless pits along the floor. When you fall, you are hurled into a series of medieval torture chambers, where you must find the exit to return to the surface. The sick joke, of course, is that there is no escape. You'll either be torched by lava immediately, or reach an impassible barrier and get torched anyway. Sucker. These dungeons may be the greatest middle finger in the history of videogames.

These pits are laid out at the worst locations possible, and I've found myself falling into the same damned bottomless hole a dozen times over because I can't see the floor below. Level designs require leaps of faith far too often, and this continues from start to finish. Too many jumps require you to double-tap run, but the timing is awkward and results in falls into those damned holes.

Gordo runs and jumps clumsily. He cannot bounce on enemies or even attack while jumping. Movements are also slightly sluggish and not optimal for fast platform jumping. Shoving apples is useless at point-blank range. Defeated foes simply fall off the screen. And rescuing animals never really accomplishes anything.

The graphics are hideously ugly, colors are flat, character designs are crude and simplistic. Music and sound effects are harsh, dissolving into mush. What the heck happened? The quality of Atari Lynx games just took a nosedive in 1992, especially for 2D side-scrollers.

87Tri5fl.jpg

Kung Food (1992)

Kung Food deserves praise for its goofy premise, if nothing else. You play as a man who has been mutated into a miniaturized green vegetable by a mad scientist and must battle his away across a kitchen, punching and kicking mutant tomatoes, carrots, sausages, ice chunks, and insects. You battle your way through the refrigerator, freezer, kitchen floor, cupboard, countertop and outdoor flower box, and are armed with a basic assortment of punches and kicks. The graphics are suitably cartoonish and character sprites are large and smoothly animated. The sound effects are typical KLONK-QUACK noise but the music has a funky quality and fits.

The potential is there for a cult classic, and it's frustrating that so many fatal flaws are committed that completely ruin everything. Most notably, the collision detection is virtually nonexistent. An almost pixel-perfect alignment is required for attacks to connect. This means that most of the time, you are punching open air even though you are right next to your opponents.

In addition, the enemy vegetables never seem to notice your existence. They walk through their set pathways and animation routines regardless of your presence, never changing course or moving in your direction. You will often struggle to move into the perfect space to hit them, which means missing punches and taking damage. Even when a punch connects, foes often continue to move forward as though nothing has happened.

Finally, the damage inflicted by enemies is uneven. Some attacks only hurt a little, while others are practically fatal with one blow. There's no consistency, which adding to a sense of powerlessness. Most players will struggle to make it past stage two before quitting in frustration.

Once again, we see Western videogame designers trying to copy popular Japanese genres without understanding what makes them work, like out-of-touch parents who try to fit in with their teenage children.

UVjUqjZl.jpg

Ninja Gaiden 3: The Ancient Ship of Doom (1993)

Ninja Gaiden 3: The Ancient Ship of Doom is an attempt to copy the NES game as it appears on a television to the tiny Lynx screen. The result are graphics that are tiny, cramped and crowded. It is extremely difficult to see anything, read the heads-up display or make out the visual details. Add in the limited color of the Lynx (only 16 colors displayed out of 4,096), which results in a color design that is browned out and needlessly flattened. Every scene is just a mess of splotchy pixels.

The audio is even worse, as Tecmo's legendary chiptune music has been downscaled into a tinny, atonal mess. Sound effects are passable but likewise hard on the ears. The Lynx was capable of creating memorable audio in the hands of the right talent, but those individuals could be counted on the fingers of one hand. To most developers, the audio hardware was barely above 1982 standards.

This game is probably the strongest argument that the Atari Lynx resolution is too low for its own good. In no way does this compare favorably to Game Boy or Game Gear. This doesn't even compare favorably to Atari 7800, Commodore 64 or Apple 2. As for the game itself, this is a good 2D action platform game, but clearly the weakest of the NES trilogy, lacking the pacing and brilliance of the first two entries.

The Atari Lynx was born with a wonderful sense of wonder, thanks to the early Epyx titles and Atari Games arcade hits. Once those veins were exhausted, however, the system struggled just to survive. In 1989, this handheld once stood at the cutting edge of videogames. By 1993, it could barely catch up to 8-bit systems released a decade earlier. What an ignoble end to such a promising start.

(Update 2/4 1:24: Updated to include Gordo 106 and Kung Food.)

Last edited:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Lynx Reviews Part 10: Cancelled Games

In this episode, we take a look at cancelled titles for Atari Lynx. Some of these were fully complete, while others were still in various stages of production. A number of these games have seen a commercial release in the years since the system's demise. All information is as comprehensive and up-to-date as possible, and we will only focus on games for which ROMs or screenshots survive. Enjoy!

F7OOcxol.png

Alien Versus Predator

Alien Versus Predator was one of the standout hits for Atari Jaguar, which resulted in an Atari Lynx version being commissioned. Unfortunately, the title was cancelled as Atari's fortunes faltered. To date, four preliminary builds of the game have been discovered, revealing an unfinished game with a tremendous amount of promise.

The game is set in a first-person view as you navigate through dark, mechanical mazes. You play campaigns with the Marine, Alien or Predator, and like its Jaguar cousin, this Lynx version promised different missions and objectives for each character.

The artwork that survives is outstanding, and the 3D scrolling of the hallways is very fast and smooth. The foundation is here for an excellent FPS game, although one that is strictly limited to walking along a maze. The numerous cut-scenes also look excellent, and the dark atmosphere is quite unlike anything seen on the system Atari even promised at one point to integrate play between Lynx and Jaguar, an idea that never materialized (and highlights the severe lack of focus that ultimately killed the company).

The various demo versions that exist online are only barely playable, but the Lynx fan community has tirelessly worked to reconstruct AvP as best as possible.

EgwYC0Nl.png

Eye of the Beholder

Eye of the Beholder is a popular dungeon-crawling RPG created by Westwood Associates for DOS and Amiga in 1991. It was soon ported to Sega CD, Super NES and Japan's PC-98. In 1993, an Atari Lynx translation was created by veteran coders NuFX.

This game is quite involving and complex, as you guide a team of four adventurers through a series of underground dungeons in search of adventure and excitement and really wild things. You will encounter dangerous monsters and endless mazes. You are able to fully equip each character with items and upgrades found from defeated foes and treasure chests. The Lynx version retains the "mouse" controls of the original computer versions, which is very interesting, but the controls should be very responsive and skilled gamers should have no trouble finding their way about.

Several demo versions of Eye of the Beholder were posted online many years ago, but the final, fully complete version was available only as a limited-run physical release in 2011, featuring a reproduction Lynx box design and PCB board. ROM copies and "repro" cards are available to those who are willing to search them out.

This is an outstanding title for the Lynx. Graphics are excellent and wonderfully detailed and the gameplay is wondrously complex and deep. No corners have been cut from the Amiga and players will be engaged for months. Just be sure to grab a pencil and paper for the maps.

gg8Itr8l.png

Vindicators

Vindicators is the 1988 Atari Games arcade hit where one or two players drive futuristic tanks through space stations to defeat alien saucers, tanks and turrets. An Atari Lynx translation was announced early in the system's lifespan and it was hotly anticipated for many years. Unfortunately, the game was never finished and was ultimately scrapped. The reasons for this remain unclear.

Only one demo of the game exists, an early playable version that highlights many of the game's graphics and features, including 2P multiplayer. Sprite scaling is shown on explosions and the graphics appear to be virtually identical to the arcade, easily up to the standard of Atari Games titles on the Lynx. That said, despite its promising appearance, the game appears to be in an early stage of development.

This demo is in the hands of a French collector, who has not made the ROM file public. No other surviving copy is known to exist.

DOxPUK0l.png

Relief Pitcher

Relief Pitcher is a 1992 Atari Games arcade baseball game. It plays a decent game but is clearly meant to be a quick quarter-munching version of the sport. An Atari Lynx version was shown in one or two prototype versions but was never fully completed, and was ultimately cancelled. While it appears somewhat blockier on the small screen, it does appear that Atari made a valiant attempt to bring the coin-op hit home, and had this been released, it would have been vastly superior to Baseball Heroes.

In 2011, the latest-known build of the game (5/19/194) was released in extremely limited quantities from Beta Phase Games. To date, no further production rounds have been announced.

vbIWU3Wl.png

Road Riot 4WD

Road Riot is a 1991 Atari Games arcade hit where you drive dirt buggies on off-road courses around the world, leaping over hills, smashing into objects and shooting at rival vehicles. It's great fun, like a grungy rural American knockoff of Roadblasters. The 1994 Atari Lynx translation was handled by Atari ST developers Images Software, whose credits include G-Loc and Shadow Dancer.

At least two or three ROM versions of this game exists, including a later revision that reportedly resolves the issue with excessive crashes and rolling, which happens nearly every time your vehicle takes a jump while turning. It's an annoying gameplay flaw that would have been fixed if the project was seen through to completion.

Visually, Road Riot looks good but a clear step below the arcade. Graphcs are a bit muddy, flat and pixelated, removing many of the details of the coin-op. The speed is very fast and controls are responsive, aside from all that useless crashing. The developers did a good job, but it's clearly evident Atari is working with their C-team by this point. I expect D. Scott Williamson could have done a much better job. Heck, why not use the Roadblasters or STUN Runner engine for this game?

Once again, Atari Corp. suffers from their core weaknesses: driving away their best talent, burning all their relationships, a complete lack of focus and far too many needlessly cancelled videogames. Road Riot would have made for an excellent addition to the Lynx library.

HRSh6hml.jpg

Raiden

Raiden is the Seibu Kaihatsu arcade shoot-em-up that found its way home to the Sega Genesis, Super NES and Atari Jaguar. In 1994, the game was also shown as a playable alpha for Lynx. I remember playing this game at the Summer CES that year and came away very impressed and hopeful to see the finished product. Unfortunately, no further progress was made and the game was cancelled.

In 1997, the alpha build was released by Telegames. While not all of the stages are present and music is absent, what is here is very promising. The graphics are close to the arcade, although missing some details and colors. No doubt this would have been improved before its completion. The gameplay is fully intact and it's quite a thrill to play a Japanese shooter on the Lynx.

LrN8AmN.gif

Hyperdrome

Hyperdrome was a 3D first-person game similar to the LucasArts classic Ballblazer. Players controlled a futuristic spaceship that glides around a checkerboard playfield and attempt to collect and hurl jewels past goalposts that lie at the end of the field. Four players compete at once, adding to the challenge, and numerous items and weapons are available.

Intended for release in 1992, the game was repeatedly delayed and ultimately canned. In 1999, a complete version emerged and was sold by Telegames in limited quantities. It received a mixed reception, as those who played the game felt it compared poorly to Ballblazer, citing needlessly complicated graphics and choppy frame rate. In 2018, Telegames reissued the game with new case design and curved Lynx card.

xfGJkLkl.png

Geo Duel

Geo Duel was an original Atari game and will remind you of the Tron light cycles. You steer a spacecraft and navigate through large battle arenas populated with mountains, hills and various obstacles, all while trying to crash the opposing vehicles.

At least one demo version of the game is known to exist, and it remains in the hands of a private collector who posted a number of screenshots online several years ago. No public ROM or completed version of this game is known to exist.

These screenshots show real promise and I wish some footage was shown to us. The game is clearly meant to push the 3D sprite scaling powers of Lynx to its limit, as well as offering another multiplayer thrill ride. It would be great to see this game in action, if only to judge if its cancellation was wise or foolish.

X8BtVMXl.png

Daemon's Gate

Imagitec Design were responsible for this RPG, one of several such games in development for Lynx before being cancelled. An early demo version leaked online many years ago, showing the game in a very early and unfinished state. The overhead 2D graphics are very crudely drawn with minimal use of color and animation, but there is a cool zooming effect when you enter buildings or open your menu screen.

One interesting feature is the ability to create potions by mixing ingredients. It is uncertain whether you would have to discover these items while exploring the world, and just what you will create remains a mystery. No doubt this idea would have been fleshed out during the production.

Combat involves running up to an opponent and hitting the A or B button. You can equip items to either hand, but the playable demo I tried only has a dagger. The fighting is fast but it is evident this element of the game was still being fleshed out.

The demo version that I played was very early, with only one town and no NPCs, dialog or storyline. More complete versions have been reported featuring more towns. Imagitec's original plan was to create a trilogy: Dorovan's Key, Nomads and Homecoming. Unfortunately, the entire project was scuttled. Demo carts were later sold by B & C Computing Visions after acquiring the assets after Atari's merger with JTS in 1996.

PwEwKwyl.png

Dungeon Slayers

Dungeon Slayers is a conversion of the iconic Dungeon Master for Atari ST, a hugely successful computer game of its day that allowed Atari to compete for a time with the Commodore Amiga. It is a dungeon-crawling RPG similar to Eye of the Beholder. Two versions of the unfinished game are known to exist, but no ROM files or gameplay videos have been made public.

ruBNXxSl.jpg

Strider 2

Strider 2, the US Gold Amiga game and not the Capcom arcade sequel, was rumored to be in development for Atari Lynx. In 2017, it was confirmed that developer Tiertex had developed and completed the Lynx version. According to interviews with programmer Paul Gill, production began in January 1991 and was completed five months later. The coding was mostly based on the Amiga original with music from the Atari ST version.

According to Mr. Gill, Atari was very keen to see the project completed and provided ample documentation to assist the production. Unfortunately, the game was cancelled for unknown reasons and no backup copies are known to exist. Neither Gill nor Tiertex kept any backup copies. No ROM files or screenshots have survived.

IxCcuJa.gif

Guardians: Storm Over Doria

Guardians: Storm Over Doria was the first RPG announced for Atari Lynx, and was featured prominently in gaming magazines like EGM. A demo cart was shown at CES featuring only four screenshots of the title, and no playable version has ever been found.

According to Knight Technologies programmer Tom Schenck, the game was roughly 30% complete but featured many gameplay elements in place, including towns, dungeons and combat. 4P multiplayer was planned and proved to be the factor that slowed everything down. The project was cancelled once the studio was bought out by Park Place Productions in 1992, who saw no future in the Lynx.

No production copies of Guardians are known to exist.

DaBj0jCl.png

Cyber Virus

Cyber Virus was the second game from Beyond Games, the genius punks behind BattleWheels. It's a combat game set in first-person view where you march across various battlefields, destroying robots and aliens while detonating enemy compounds. The same graphics engine is used once again, and it really does feel like an extension of the previous game.

This game was shown at the 1994 Summer Consumer Electronics Show, but was soon scuttled due to fading sales for Lynx. Songbird Productions purchased the rights and assets in 2002, finally completing the project, adding features like night vision and an introduction sequence. Cyber Virus was packaged in a CD case and released on a game card later that year to a thrilled reception from Lynx fans.

Screenshots and gameplay videos are available online, showing off Cyber Virus in all its glory. Once again, the brilliance of Kris Johnson and Beyond Games shines through, and the Lynx receives another crucial must-have hit.

xrou50Hl.png

Lexis

Lexis is a puzzle game that was programmed by Dave Dies for Shadowsoft, Inc, the publisher behind the excellent Robotron and Joust conversions for Lynx. In this game, letters fall into a pit and you must spell out words to clear each stage. Words can be read horizontally, vertically or backwards. An extensive dictionary of 20,000 words can be accessed by the player at any time.

This game is presented in the Lynx "portrait mode," which is very effective for puzzle games. Graphics are presented in greyscale with touches of color, seemingly to recreate the look of grey LCD screens and reduce eye strain. There is no music and sound effects are minimal yet highly effective. There are also several digitized voice samples.

I find this game to be very fascinating and relaxing, and I enjoy its little flourishes like the "pages" that turn as you complete a level. The pace is easy but becomes faster and more challenging. There are also a number of hidden easter eggs, including a playable version of Galaxian that, sadly, does not include any audio.

Songbird Productions acquired the rights to Lexis in 1999 and released the game on a green PCB board. The production run was limited to only 150 cards, making it one of the rarest of all Atari Lynx titles.

P9r136fl.png

Centipede

Centipede is another arcade conversion from Shadowsoft, this time the iconic Atari Inc. arcade classic. Unlike their excellent conversions of Robotron and Joust, this game just smacks of amateurism and laziness. The game is presented in portrait mode but the visual details are sorely lacking. For some unknown reason, nearly all the graphics are drawn in grey, just like Lexus (perhaps the same programmers were involved).

This game was never completed, as you can see from the extremely simple title screen, lack of color and lack of any audio. Gameplay elements (such as the spider eating mushrooms) are also absent from this build. The owner of Video 61 & Atari Sales appears to have purchased the rights from the developers and released the game in 2003 for a whopping price of $49.95.

atNsjYcl.png

Marlboro Go!

Marlboro Go is a very odd duck. This game, which is really just a glorified demo, has players race a motorbike across a 2D side-scrolling landscape with hills, turns and ramps. You can pop wheelies and make jumps, and the goal is to reach the finish line within a two-minute time limit. There are no further courses or options beyond the single racetrack, but you do get to look at many Marlboro billboards along the way.

This game was created as part of a promotion with Marlboro cigarettes in Europe. A specialized red-painted Lynx II system with the words "Marlboro Abenteuer Team" emblazoned on top was given away to smokers who saved "points" from packs of cigarettes. If you collect 500 points, you will receive an Atari Lynx, and if you collect 1,000 points, you will receive terminal cancer and die.

It's hard to understand why Atari Corp. would agree to such a thing. It feels vile and disgusting, and is really nothing more than a cynical effort by Phillip Morris to turn children into lung-hocking drug addicts by selling the ludicrous fantasy of a "smoking adventure team," who, in real life, would be bending over their bikes, coughing up chunks of their lungs.

VNY6Vfol.png

Bubble Trouble

Bubble Trouble was the second of four Lynx titles created by Lore Games. Of the four, only Kung Food was released during the Lynx's lifespan. This game was shown at 1994 CES and, by all accounts, was fully completed. In this game, you play as a bubble scientist who is shrunk down into a tiny bubble and must navigate his way through strange, microscopic worlds to return to his normal state. These developers certainly do love mad scientists and their weird inventions.

It's a fun concept with a unique style and reminds me of other "gravity maze shooters" like Sub-Terrania on Sega Genesis. You float through dark, pulsating caverns and try not to get popped. You need to recover items each stage while also avoiding what appear to be tiny spaceships and pulsating organisms. The speed is fast and controls are very responsive. The music is terrible, but we've made our peace with that. Overall, an impressive and surprisingly tough little gem for the Lynx.

This rights to this game were eventually purchased by Telegames, who released the game several years ago.

4oG5HTHl.png

Fat Bobby

Fat Bobby is a 2D platforming game from Lore Games from 1993, where you play as a guitarist whose bandmates are kidnapped. You travel through a variety of locations to defeat the kidnappers and rescue your friends. There isn't much to say about this game beyond that. Only six short levels were completed and many crucial gameplay elements remain unfinished, such as collision detection with enemies. I couldn't even clear the first stage without using the cheat code to skip levels.

Your character controls nicely, and he can either swing his guitar or fire it like a gun. However, there is a running somersault jump that is not only useless, it only serves to launch you into fire pits and get you killed. I do hope that move would have been removed from the final version.

This game looks great. We're finally seeing some proper 16-bit color graphics on the Lynx, where every other platformer on the system looks like second-rate Atari 7800. The character sprites are also fairly impressive and the stage designs show real promise. The music, once again, is just terrible, and I do wish that Lore Games could have hired some actual chiptune artists.

I also wish Fat Bobby could have been completed, because the potential is there for a genuine hit. Telegames did release the title some years later, but it unknown whether they secured a later version than the unfinished demo that's available online.

kqAGLgGl.jpg

Hot Dog

Hot Dog is the final of four Lynx games created by Lore Games, and is a 2D platformer similar to Sonic the Hedgehog and very much in keeping with the "Poochie Mascot" craze of the late 16-bit era. It's an extremely promising game featuring some wonderfully varied game worlds and gameplay mechanics seen in the top-tier Nintendo and Sega games of the era. The game was in production from 1993-1995, when it was ultimately cancelled in an unfinished state.

In 2011, Beta Phase Games released a fully playable eight-stage demo, featuring five distinct worlds, numerous alternate routes and hidden areas, and a number of collectible items and power-ups. Only 75 copies were produced. Several short gameplay videos of Hot Dog have appeared on Youtube, and the game remains extremely rare. No online copies have been made available and no further print runs have been announced.

This is one of the most promising of all "lost" Lynx games. The graphics are quite excellent and take advantage of the system's color graphics nicely, and there's a lot of variety. This would have made for excellent competition against Game Boy and Game Gear.

t6SYjFQl.jpg

kzrACTAl.jpg

Quadromania

This puzzle game is a puzzle game similar to Dr. Mario and Columns. You guide capsules into a pit and try to clear matching sets of four spheres. It was originally created by Robert Maidorn and submitted to Atari Corp. in 1993, but was ultimately cancelled as Lynx development was phased out in favor of the Jaguar.

In 2012, the game was rediscovered on Maidorn's Amiga computer by a member of the Lynx homebrew community, and in the following year, he gave his blessing to have the game finally released to the public. In 2019, after several false starts, Luchs Soft in Germany released Quadromania, featuring new Lynx cover design and additional levels to expand gameplay. The package includes a curved lip card design, instruction manual, poster and collector pin.

4cnko9Rl.png

Loopz

Finally, we end on a happy note. Loopz is a puzzle game created by Ian Upton for the Atari ST, and was published by Audiogenic who acquired the rights and arranged for Mindscape to port the game to consoles and home computers the following year. In this game, you lay down Tetris blocks onto a 2D playfield in order to complete "loops." The larger and more complex the loop, the more points you will score. You must place a block onto the field before a timer expires, costing you a life.

Three gameplay modes are included, including chain loopz, target loopz and match loopz. The first two are similar and are best for short arcade-puzzle action. The latter mode is especially interesting. You are shown a completed loop and then several key pieces are removed. You must then replace those missing pieces and restore the image.

This game was essentially completed, barring some final bug fixes, in 1992. Hand Made Software submitted it to Atari for approval, yet for unknown reasons, they passed on a release. This is just baffling, as puzzle games were wildly popular on Nintendo Game Boy and the Lynx was starved for good puzzle games.

Loopz fills the puzzle fix masterfully, with addicting gameplay that Lynx so desperately needed. The presentation is sublime, with wonderful color graphics, an intuitive menu screen, simple gameplay mechanics and the finest music ever heard on this system. Three wonderfully catchy melodies are available, and each rivals the classic Game Boy Tetris music. It's really that good.

In 2004, the game was released by Songbird Productions. It is uncertain whether the bugs from the 1992 evaluation version were removed, but it does appear that a Pac-Man cameo has been added (who eats away uncleared blocks from the playfield). In any case, this is one of my favorites for Lynx and cannot be recommended highly enough.

Last edited:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

WLHWBdPl.jpg

0fPPphll.jpg

dBxOveWl.jpg

wJy0GSbl.jpg

Here are some terrific photos of the "model 1" Atari Lynx from 1989. This package includes the system, an AC adaptor (that would always be used), Com-Lynx cable (that would never be used), instruction manual and copy of California Games. As you would expect, this box is enormous, and probably could fit two Game Boy boxes inside with ease. Whatever. If you were a Lynx owner at the beginning, you wanted a status symbol to show off to everyone within a county mile.

The software selection on the side of the box is predictably thin, only showing four videogames, including one that was ultimately cancelled. Chip's Challenge and Gauntlet 3 were not shown for unknown reasons.

I bought my Lynx in October 1989 from the JC Penny's catalog for $159.99, and also picked up a copy of Blue LIghtning. I still remember the day the package arrived and taking the box to the haunted basement den* next to my bedroom, brining out the Lynx, carefully reading the instruction manuals, and playing California Games and Blue Lightning all night. I absolutely loved it. In the following weeks, I quickly picked up Electrocop and Gates of Zendocon, both of which totally rocked my world.

(* Note: true story. Stay away from ouija boards, kids.)

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Q0ts5Zsl.jpg

KrjriJQl.jpg

8HttZcal.jpg

twRUQO7l.jpg

I wanted to show the progress on my Atari Lynx ebook project. I'm working on the layout designs, aiming to recreate the style of classic gaming magazines. What do you think of these?

This Lynx book will feature reviews of all commercially released Lynx games, a brief look at the aftermarket releases (Loopz, Eye o/t Beholder) and homebrew/indie titles (Zaku). There should also be additional material and articles, but those are still undecided. I would like to include some interviews, but those haven't been pursued yet. We'll see how it goes.

For now, I just wanted to get the layout templates set so that I can return to this project once I have published my latest round of photography ebooks (which are awesome, btw).

iconmaster

Banned
I got to see a Lynx briefly as a kid. Even back then, I could tell its screen was incredibly grainy.

4096 colors though, and released the same year as the Game Boy. That's kind of amazing.

I don't quite trust inflation calculators but supposedly its $189 price would be about $375 today.

Last edited:
Top Bottom