• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Arland Trilogy DX Trailer

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Developer: GUST
Platform(s): PS4, Nintendo Switch
Release Date(s): September 20th, 2018 (JPN)

I love the Atelier series and the Arland trilogy is one of my favorites. The games are this wonderful mix of low stress crafting and JRPG gameplay set in a world where you can just chill. There still is no release date for the west on these remasters, but I am holding out hope. Are any of y'all interested in the Atelier franchise? If you have played them, what are your favorites?

Last edited:
I'm very interested! I need more cute and nice jrpg in my life :D I'm thinking about buy some of these on PS4 or Steam and I hope this arrive in the west too :D

Just hoping for a GOG release someday, I'd prefer it but a man can dream lol

sublimit

Banned
I have the whole Iris trilogy for the PS2 and i also have Shalie,Sophie and Firis but i have barely played any of them. :( However i do know based on what little i've played and what i've read and watched about them that i will like them and that's why i keep buying them hoping that someday i'll dig into my abysmal backlog and give them the attention they deserve. The only thing that kinda bugs me off (in some of them) is the time limit. I know that it's gnerally quite generous but i'd have still preferred it if it was completely absent.

Pejo

Is this the one of the ones with the Robot? That one looked cool, and I think got rid of the timer, right?

bigedole

I've never played them but always wondered if I'd enjoy them. I'm not huge on crafting but I love jRPGs...

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Is it all three games in the trilogy (or in the "set")? I'd like to get into the series and initially thought "oh cool, might as well jump in now since there are three games for the price of one", but I'm not certain if that's actually the case here.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Is it all three games in the trilogy (or in the "set")? I'd like to get into the series and initially thought "oh cool, might as well jump in now since there are three games for the price of one", but I'm not certain if that's actually the case here.

Arland all takes place within the same universe shortly after/before each other with reoccuring characters. It is an excellent starting point for the series. However, in Japan they are selling them separately as well as in a pack at an increased price (I think it is like 40 USD each or 120 for all 3 if my conversion was close to correct?).

You can also buy the Arland Trilogy on PS3 for like around 30-40 dollars if you wanted to go with the older versions.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I've never played them but always wondered if I'd enjoy them. I'm not huge on crafting but I love jRPGs...

The games definitely focus more on the crafting. Your job is to go out, kill monsters, gather items to create and craft better items through Alchemy. Honestly the system is a fun little puzzle game (with each iteration changing it up in minor/major ways). There is plenty of classic JRPG fighting, but don't expect much in terms of "save the world" plots. These are far more relaxing narratives.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Arland all takes place within the same universe shortly after/before each other with reoccuring characters. It is an excellent starting point for the series. However, in Japan they are selling them separately as well as in a pack at an increased price (I think it is like 40 USD each or 120 for all 3 if my conversion was close to correct?).

You can also buy the Arland Trilogy on PS3 for like around 30-40 dollars if you wanted to go with the older versions.
Hmm, I'll have to take a look at my options, then. I'd prefer to buy this on the Switch. Thanks for the info!

Oh, and are there excessive cutscenes and/or are they skippable or short? I know it's a JRPG, but some of them are so long-winded I'd consider them visual novels.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Hmm, I'll have to take a look at my options, then. I'd prefer to buy this on the Switch. Thanks for the info!

Oh, and are there excessive cutscenes and/or are they skippable or short? I know it's a JRPG, but some of them are so long-winded I'd consider them visual novels.

Do note that I haven't played the games since their originally releases on the PS3 *years* ago, but I don't remember there being a tremendous amount of cutscenes. There are definitely some wordy bits, but they are entertaining and help flesh out the world/characters and are usually more slice-of-life than exposition heavy dumps.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Do note that I haven't played the games since their originally releases on the PS3 *years* ago, but I don't remember there being a tremendous amount of cutscenes. There are definitely some wordy bits, but they are entertaining and help flesh out the world/characters and are usually more slice-of-life than exposition heavy dumps.
That's what I like to hear. I don't mind some dialogue, but some recent JRPGs ("recent" meaning the last 15 years, I suppose) have gotten more and more wordy. I enjoy fun gameplay loops and so I've always been fascinated by the Atelier series, just haven't jumped in yet.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
What is the best Atelier on PS4 currently? I don't really know where to start... There are 3 (4?) games, right?

There are three and they are all part of the "Mysterious" series. With each "trilogy" of Atelier games, it is usually best to start at the first one released as each subsequent one tends to have a lot of references and returning characters to the previous entry.

Sophie is the first, followed by Firis, and finally the latest entry: Lydie and Suelle. I suggest you play them in that order. Personally I loved Firis and Lydie more than Sophie, but Sophie is a great entry point and still a great game as a whole.

UnipolarUnicorn

Neo Member
Hey! Thanks for posting this thread! I became an Atelier fan last December with Eternal Mana and The Azoth of Destiny and, after the awful Grand Phantasm, I am now playing the first Mana Khemia. I like it so far! Can't wait to play them all!

These better come to the west. I really want to own them on Switch.

Edit: Oh, and Dr. Claus Dr. Claus you forgot to add Switch to the platforms list on your opening post.

Last edited:
There are three and they are all part of the "Mysterious" series. With each "trilogy" of Atelier games, it is usually best to start at the first one released as each subsequent one tends to have a lot of references and returning characters to the previous entry.

Sophie is the first, followed by Firis, and finally the latest entry: Lydie and Suelle. I suggest you play them in that order. Personally I loved Firis and Lydie more than Sophie, but Sophie is a great entry point and still a great game as a whole.
Thank you! I'll start the games in order as you suggest, so Sophie will be the first!

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Nope they are selling these old games they have already sold to people before for 40 bucks total for 40 bucks each...so 120. Fucking Gust.

Thank you! I'll start the games in order as you suggest, so Sophie will be the first!
The new Atelier titles are bad. Like the series was never great to begin with but had a charming side. Hell I'm inclined to say Gust is crap now or has had 2 very mediocre years. So if you do go into it, go in with low expectations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
These better come to the west. I really want to own them on Switch.

Edit: Oh, and Dr. Claus Dr. Claus you forgot to add Switch to the platforms list on your opening post.

My bad! It has been fixed. Thank you for letting me know.

Nope they are selling these old games they have already sold to people before for 40 bucks total for 40 bucks each...so 120. Fucking Gust.

The new Atelier titles are bad. Like the series was never great to begin with but had a charming side. Hell I'm inclined to say Gust is crap now or has had 2 very mediocre years. So if you do go into it, go in with low expectations.

I disagree completely. The games aren't as strong as the Dusk trilogy, but I consider them pretty on par with Arland and enjoy them just as much.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I mean that is nice for you but others seem to think Gust is done ever since they got bought out. The new games sold so poorly they became multiplats on all of their series for a reason...

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I mean that is nice for you but others seem to think Gust is done ever since they got bought out. The new games sold so poorly they became multiplats on all of their series for a reason...

Really? I assumed it was because the games sold quite well on Vita in certain regions, but with the Nintendo Switch being the new Handheld darling, it only made sense to move the series over to that from the older, dying platform. The series doesn't need to sell high numbers, hell it rarely ever has. It is a niche game for a niche audience and I think Gust manages to deliver to that audience the majority of the time with their main series (Atelier).

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
It was mostly bad Sophie sales that did it. Even when they went PC their games sold next to nothing. I know Atelier games have never been big on sales but selling less than before after being bought out didn't help em or give em time to develop games properly imo. Also after NoA2 I just don't bother with Gust either. It's a shame. Design and music wise Gust was the best and now they are...trash.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It was mostly bad Sophie sales that did it. Even when they went PC their games sold next to nothing. I know Atelier games have never been big on sales but selling less than before after being bought out didn't help em or give em time to develop games properly imo. Also after NoA2 I just don't bother with Gust either. It's a shame. Design and music wise Gust was the best and now they are...trash.

I never much cared for the NoA series. Blue Reflection I enjoyed, but it had some major weak elements. Mostly I just focus on the Atelier series and ignore the spinoffs as... well they still deliver for me - but I can see why others may find certain entries weaker or stronger than others.

KiteGr

I know very little of this series, but I love collections and complete editions, so I might as well try it just for that!

Top Bottom