• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Firis launches March 7 in North America, March 10 in Europe

Shizuka

Atelier Firis: the Alchemist and the Mysterious Journey will launch physically and digitally for PlayStation 4, digitally for PS Vita, and for PC via Steam on March 7 in North America and March 10 in Europe, Koei Tecmo announced.

Source: Gematsu.

Woah, isn't that the quickest turn-around on an Atelier title yet?!

So soon after Shallie Plus too. Couldn't be happier.

(And simultaneously on PC?!)

So soon! Haven't finished Sophie and will probably still be playing Shallie Plus at that point, so I guess I'll pick this up down the line.

18-Volt

Damn, I'm still trying to finish Ayesha Plus and Escha & Logy Plus and Sophie still waiting for me. Next month has Shallie plus too. Why can't I hold all these kawaii alchemist students?

My birthday month is going to be mad epic
.my poor wife

Atelier firis(March 7th)
Ghost recon wildlands(March 7th)
Akiba's Beat(March 14th and actual bday)
Kh 1.5+2.5(March 28th)

Life is good

Oh that's a lot sooner than I was anticipating, was expecting the summer. Still goddamn it January-April I don't have the time or money for all of this.

Parsnip

That's like one month after Sophie PC release? How lengthy are these games generally speaking? HLTB puts Sophie at 40ish hours, is that generally accurate for most Atelier games?

Durante

That's like one month after Sophie PC release? How lengthy are these games generally speaking? HLTB puts Sophie at 40ish hours, is that generally accurate for most Atelier games?
Yeah, that's not a bad estimate. Of course, I'd argue it depends on your degree of completionism more than even normal RPGs -- between the character quests, standard requests & other goals, and filling out your alchemy item list. Never mind the many endings.

40 hours is far longer than any Atelier game has ever taken me to finish, though I'm not the type of gamer who feels like they have to complete every sidequest/character quest/recipe and so on.

They usually take me around 25 hours to complete.

Tohsaka

Only four months after Japan, very nice. Hopefully they can get Blue Reflection out here in a similar timeframe.

Khrno

This is one series I will not buy on PC, just because Atelier is the only series I have fully platinum on all the versions I've gotten (PS3, Vita and PS4), so gotta keep the trophies in the same place, and I don't really care about trophies in other games.

Yeah, that's not a bad estimate. Of course, I'd argue it depends on your degree of completionism more than even normal RPGs -- between the character quests, standard requests & other goals, and filling out your alchemy item list. Never mind the many endings.

Atelier Sophie doesn't really have multiple endings, unfortunately. They started cutting back on the number of endings in Escha & Logy (only three endings, really) and Sophie has more like one and a half: same ending for everyone, plus a bonus scene if you managed to make a certain item by the end of the story. I don't even remember what the bonus scene was. This is one of my biggest disappointments with recent games, but there is an upside: Sophie is also the first game (at least since Rorona) that allows you to keep playing indefinitely after the ending.

It took me 47 hours to beat the game, and I think only a few hours more to finish the platinum trophy. If you aren't dead set on getting all the trophies/achievements, you could definitely do it in 40 hours.

Rymuth

Dont the Atelier games have multiple endings? I think its dependant on whether you just want to get all or just one ending.

Skelter

Banned
How many Atelier games are there? I want to get into the series since it's finally coming to PC but I have no idea where to start since there are a few coming.

How many Atelier games are there? I want to get into the series since it's finally coming to PC but I have no idea where to start since there are a few coming.

Firis is the 18th Atelier game according to Gust's internal numbering. They include the Mana Khemia games in that numbering but not a bunch of other offshoot games. It doesn't really matter, though; the earlier games aren't even available in English, the Iris trilogy play a lot more like traditional JRPGs, and there are multiple entry points into the modern era since the games tend to be grouped into trilogies.

If you're looking to play primarily on PC, Sophie is a very good choice since it's the beginning of the latest trilogy and relatively easy for newcomers to get into. If you have a Vita or PS3, Rorona Plus and Ayesha are the starts of the previous trilogies. Totori and Escha & Logy are also recommended often as good starting points. But honestly, the easy answer is to play Sophie first. You can always go back later.

Linkura

Did they fix the embarrassing bugs in the Japanese version yet? This the first Atelier I'm actually hesitant to buy day one, and solely because of that.

Skelter

Banned
Firis is the 18th Atelier game according to Gust's internal numbering. They include the Mana Khemia games in that numbering but not a bunch of other offshoot games. It doesn't really matter, though; the earlier games aren't even available in English, the Iris trilogy play a lot more like traditional JRPGs, and there are multiple entry points into the modern era since the games tend to be grouped into trilogies.

If you're looking to play primarily on PC, Sophie is a very good choice since it's the beginning of the latest trilogy and relatively easy for newcomers to get into. If you have a Vita or PS3, Rorona Plus and Ayesha are the starts of the previous trilogies. Totori and Escha & Logy are also recommended often as good starting points. But honestly, the easy answer is to play Sophie first. You can always go back later.

Sophie it is. I don't have a PS3/vita. Durante just LOVES this game so much that it piqued my interest.

Parsnip

40 hours is far longer than any Atelier game has ever taken me to finish, though I'm not the type of gamer who feels like they have to complete every sidequest/character quest/recipe and so on.

They usually take me around 25 hours to complete.
Thanks.
🤘🤘

Fuck, I was going to try to jump back in to this series with Sophie but I definitely don't foresee myself finishing all of the games I have now and the ones coming out from now to the release of this even lol.

Mivey

Looks like Tecmo Koei is bungling the UI assets once again.
They are either doing it on purpose (Which creates more work for them, than if they were just to take the PS4 textures and use them as is).
Or any combination of incompetence or incompetent management.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/202319
I'm assuming they are just using Vita assets. They could just use the better ones with minimal work, so it must be a deliberate choice. I guess their devs think this helps lower the requirements? Or maybe they took a glance at the Steam stats, noticed that a lot of people have laptops with 1366 x 768 resolution and think this is an acceptable compromise.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
OMG these are actually releasing too fast.

The JRPG scene on PC is so lit right now, and I can't afford to purchase the full deluge.

I'm assuming they are just using Vita assets. They could just use the better ones with minimal work, so it must be a deliberate choice. I guess their devs think this helps lower the requirements? Or maybe they took a glance at the Steam stats, noticed that a lot of people have laptops with 1366 x 768 resolution and think this is an acceptable compromise.

The Steam manual also looks like a Vita digital manual, reformatted.

http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/s...als/steam_Journey_US_170222-.pdf?t=1488560494

BONKERS

It's ass backwards either way.

Maybe that's all they do, and maybe that's why resolution support is so stupidly limited in their games most of the time?

c0888d64a37530ea3cc608f725a2f79b.320x180x24.gif

Zephyx

I want to buy this on the Vita but I read that crashes often occur on the platform. I don't mind the perf issues as I played most of the Atelier games on the handheld. I just wish someone can have feedback on this game for Vita since I want to buy this on release day.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Different American and European release dates.

In 2017 >_>

Ullus

Might as well ask in this thread. I've always been interested in the series, where would be a good place to start? Got a PS3, PC and soon a PS4.
Can get Totori for a decent price.

Durante

Might as well ask in this thread. I've always been interested in the series, where would be a good place to start? Got a PS3, PC and soon a PS4.
Can get Totori for a decent price.
If you want to follow the games as they are released, starting now with Sophie on PC might be a good idea. (And then moving on to Firis and keeping up with releases)

Otherwise, you can start with Totori.

Zephyx

Get Sophie on PS4/PC. It's the first game in a new trilogy so it should be less complex than Firis.

Btw, for PC, what minimum specs are required to run the game on an acceptable performance? I have an I5-4440 and HD 7850 (2 GB) as CPU/GPU respectively. I don't think I can run this game with my current specs.

Zephyx

Sophie runs acceptably on an Atom with integrated graphics. Your system will run it at 1080p with 60 FPS.

Thanks! It's a ~4 year old PC and I'm not planning to upgrade it anytime soon since it's mostly a Dota 2/Civ PC. I hope the download is not too big though.. otherwise I'll just settle for the Vita version.

squall23

Thanks! It's a ~4 year old PC and I'm not planning to upgrade it anytime soon since it's mostly a Dota 2/Civ PC. I hope the download is not too big though.. otherwise I'll just settle for the Vita version.
My decade old PC runs it at 1080p 60FPS. The only important thing is you need to get a community-made fix to prevent massive frame drops when opening the menu.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Just got my shipping confirmation from Amazon. Sucks that it's gonna have to wait until after Zelda but I'm very much looking forward to this! :D

Top Bottom