• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Sophie |OT| The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book

Cornbread78

I can't wait to actually dig into this. The openers sounds awesome and very helpful for pickup and go gameplay that rocks my Vita. .

Kudo

Hopefully they ship out LEs for Europe tomorrow, I was originally going to get this digitally but changed my mind and just ordered the LE, looks so good.

Venfayth

So after my middling impressions of the game, yesterday I got off work and sat down with it for just about 6 hours straight. I found the groove I was looking for and now I'm struggling to get out! I just want to go back home and play some more :)

I'm getting a bit more comfortable with the crafting and the combat, although I'm still not 100% sure how all of the bonus stuff works once you place all of your tetrominoes during crafting. I feel like if I sat down and planned out some good traits and effects from the very basic ingredients I could make some cool items, but as of right now I'm really just trying to plow my way through Plachta's memories until
she gets her doll form. Dunno if I needed to spoiler this but whatever.

I really like the idea system, having to trigger certain things in order to unlock the recipes, but sometimes they're a bit too vague. Like I have one now that says "Unfortunate Encounter" and I have no idea what that could mean. I thought it was one of those random enemy encounters while traveling to a location, but I got one and Sophie didn't get an idea.

So after my middling impressions of the game, yesterday I got off work and sat down with it for just about 6 hours straight. I found the groove I was looking for and now I'm struggling to get out! I just want to go back home and play some more :)

I'm getting a bit more comfortable with the crafting and the combat, although I'm still not 100% sure how all of the bonus stuff works once you place all of your tetrominoes during crafting. I feel like if I sat down and planned out some good traits and effects from the very basic ingredients I could make some cool items, but as of right now I'm really just trying to plow my way through Plachta's memories until
she gets her doll form. Dunno if I needed to spoiler this but whatever.

I really like the idea system, having to trigger certain things in order to unlock the recipes, but sometimes they're a bit too vague. Like I have one now that says "Unfortunate Encounter" and I have no idea what that could mean. I thought it was one of those random enemy encounters while traveling to a location, but I got one and Sophie didn't get an idea.

I think you have to
get a party wipe out.

It's nice playing this one blind with no guide. I played all the ps3 games up till ayesha and felt like I missed like 10 things within the first 5-6 hrs whether it was an event or something else. Everything I do in this one feels rewarding for once.

Hopefully they ship out LEs for Europe tomorrow, I was originally going to get this digitally but changed my mind and just ordered the LE, looks so good.

Mine was shipped yesterday but I'm not getting it until next week (Thursday) according to the tracking. I got Nights of Azure one day before launch, they screwed this one for me, and courier shipping is not cheap to mainland Europe.

Like in Shallie, this game is not free of localization problems.

From gamefaqs: https://imgur.com/a/NV9zX

Venfayth

Mine was shipped yesterday but I'm not getting it until next week (Thursday) according to the tracking. I got Nights of Azure one day before launch, they screwed this one for me, and courier shipping is not cheap to mainland Europe.

Like in Shallie, this game is not free of localization problems.

From gamefaqs: https://imgur.com/a/NV9zX

Damn, I haven't seen any localization problems yet.

I will say that the confirmation prompt being "This is ok" is cracking me up because I keep imagining this:

c4jt321.png

Beartruck

So I didn't preorder this just in case they screwed up the release like they did with Shallie. Will I still get the exclusive themes if I buy physical?

Downloading now in Australia. It wasn't showing up in the new releases but turned up when searching. It was 84.95 AUD if I remember correctly.

Yasumi

Banned
So I didn't preorder this just in case they screwed up the release like they did with Shallie. Will I still get the exclusive themes if I buy physical?

Last time I checked, you could get the themes without even buying the game. They show up as free if you go to the theme pages on the PS4/Vita stores.

SarusGray

Last time I checked, you could get the themes without even buying the game. They show up as free if you go to the theme pages on the PS4/Vita stores.

there's one exclusive theme not available from the store and its a pretty nice theme. Basically a compilation of all the atelier heroines celebrating them.

Jisgsaw

Well, for once Amazon delivered me a game one day before the official release date (at least here in EU).

I have already played 6 hours straight.

Still a bit sad there is no time management at all, like for the couple previous ones, but alchemy is as fun as ever, if not more.
One thing I'm really missing though: no item resupply in town, I rather liked that in previous entries.

SarusGray

Well, for once Amazon delivered me a game one day before the official release date (at least here in EU).

I have already played 6 hours straight.

Still a bit sad there is no time management at all, like for the couple previous ones, but alchemy is as fun as ever, if not more.
One thing I'm really missing though: no item resupply in town, I rather liked that in previous entries.

Regarding your last comment, you'll receive that ability later.

My LE finally came in the mail.

Knew it'd come later since I didn't order it until like Sunday night. lol

Really love the packaging, and the cloth poster and art prints are nice :)

Seriously I can't help but binge play. Haven't done this type of binging since bloodborne lol. Two completely different games.

Hah, yes. I find I play games like this either in dribs and drabs over years never really getting into it or I make time to sit down and really play and end up finishing them in a couple of weeks.

The mental hurdle of getting back to where you were and what you need to do nextis and how to so it is just too high but it's very enjoyable when you can just be in it.

I think I have realised that Atelier games are comfort games for me, and that major changes do not appeal to me. It took me a year after initially thinking Atelier Ayesha was awful after a few hours of play to revisit it and think it was pretty good. It will take some getting used to the changes including the characters.

Venfayth

I think I have realised that Atelier games are comfort games for me, and that major changes do not appeal to me. It took me a year after initially thinking Atelier Ayesha was awful after a few hours of play to revisit it and think it was pretty good. It will take some getting used to the changes including the characters.

I have never played more than a couple hours of an Atelier game, and all of those were the PS3 era games. I finally feel like this is the one that grabbed me. It did take a few hours and a few sessions for it to happen though.

Cornbread78

For context, the upper part of the PS4 UI shows her upper body and face, so the lower part shows her lower body. I think it was a neat idea in theory, but the execution and choice of artwork is.. uh.. interesting.

I'll just leave it as non descriptive as possible and just denounce it's presence, lol.

Yeah...

Like I said, that book character is a real turn off for me in the context of what I like about these games, at least in regards to that default design.

Venfayth

I mentioned this earlier, but this one is the first one to actually get me to play for hours on end. The alchemy minigame is clunky at first, but I really like it. Especially once you get some of the more advanced cauldrons.

The game is very free and open and honestly a bit overwhelming. Even now I have like 9 things I'm thinking about doing all at once, and oftentimes while I'm in the process of doing something yet another new goal or objective will spring up.

At first I didn't like it, and it's still a bit uncomfortable, but simply spending enough time getting used to all the systems and the basic game loop has made it relaxing and fun.

edit: For reference I played both Totori and Escha & Logy in the past, but never got more than ~4 hours in either of them, lost interest. I have about 15 now in Sophie.

Jisgsaw

Regarding your last comment, you'll receive that ability later.

You mean the duplication thing?
If yes, that's not exactly the same as it coats quite a bit...

Anyway, I'm stuck at the last memory fragment on the beginner recipes. How the heck do I make the gauge progress? I can't find the two monsters mentioned...

Venfayth

If yes, that's not exactly the same as it coats quite a bit..

Later Corneria will automatically refill any items that you used charges of when you return to the Atelier, as long as you didn't spend them all. It does cost a little, but not too much, imo.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
I have hype for this game all of a sudden. I tried to play through the Arland trilogy but the timer of the day's killed the games for me. I found out that Shallie and this don't have timers time to get back into this series.

I am kinda tempted to buy this soon. My first in the series and it just sounds like fun relaxing play with a decent cute story. Am I far off the mark here?

I am usually not a huge fan of RPG combat but I just can't get past how cute and nice the pictures look of this. That and once I read the timed part of the series was removed I was even more interested.

I wish there were an easier way to know if a character has a new event or scene to start. I can kind of tell if they move away from their regular areas, but some just start from their default positions.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
I am kinda tempted to buy this soon. My first in the series and it just sounds like fun relaxing play with a decent cute story. Am I far off the mark here?

I am usually not a huge fan of RPG combat but I just can't get past how cute and nice the pictures look of this. That and once I read the timed part of the series was removed I was even more interested.
No your not. It's like the Non non Biyori of video games haha

Jisgsaw

Later Corneria will automatically refill any items that you used charges of when you return to the Atelier, as long as you didn't spend them all. It does cost a little, but not too much, imo.

Oh ok, that sounds better, thanks.

Any tipps for finishing the beginner memories?
Am I really supposed to slog through its progression bar by doing requests?

Venfayth

Oh ok, that sounds better, thanks.

Any tipps for finishing the beginner memories?
Am I really supposed to slog through its progression bar by doing requests?

Usually there's two things you can do to progress the bar, and they change from memory to memory.

SarusGray

Honestly Corneria is adorable, although her clothes are obviously a bit fanservicey :p

I don't think anyone can match Renge though.

Sophie being an idiot and Corneria being so adorable trying to get taller. This game whispers cute to your ears and feeds you ice cream. Plachta is also too cute. Changing her outfit asap when I can though. LOL
If yes, that's not exactly the same as it coats quite a bit...

Anyway, I'm stuck at the last memory fragment on the beginner recipes. How the heck do I make the gauge progress? I can't find the two monsters mentioned...

What the earlier poster said, yeah its very cheap.

SephLuis

And suddenly recipes, recipes everywhere.

Just by exploring I got 4 Plachta's memories and now I have a big recipe backlog to go through >.>

bomblord1

Banned
I really want to like this series but I abhorred the Atelier Rorona for it's complete and utter lack of coherent plot along with broken up character development that never clicked for me due to the difficulty needed to unlock character scenes and dialogue as well as no clear way to trigger events. (Sometimes doing something I had done a million times would trigger an event for no apparent reason).

Do you think I would like this game if I hated Rorona for the above reasons.

Fou-Lu

Still haven't played an Atelier game... Sorry Durante, you've given me quite the speal before that should have convinced me. I'm not sure what is keeping me away, I can't even say it's the moe since I love Madoka Magica.

Got this arriving tomorrow... might skip the rest of my Atelier backlog and jump straight into this. I hate to abandon poor Totori but ive left it so long between plays that i dont know what im doing anymore

SephLuis

I really want to like this series but I abhorred the Atelier Rorona for it's complete and utter lack of coherent plot along with broken up character development that never clicked for me due to the difficulty needed to unlock character scenes and dialogue as well as no clear way to trigger events. (Sometimes doing something I had done a million times would trigger an event for no apparent reason).

Do you think I would like this game if I hated Rorona for the above reasons.

What you explained above, I think, it's a characteristic of the series.

I hacen't played Rorona, but Sophie also has those events that happen from time to time and there isn't really a plot line for you to follow. However, it's a much more beginner-friendly type of game, so you might like it.

Still haven't played an Atelier game... Sorry Durante, you've given me quite the speal before that should have convinced me. I'm not sure what is keeping me away, I can't even say it's the moe since I love Madoka Magica.

Just jump on one of them. Don't think. Just do it.

Top Bottom