• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Sophie |OT| The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book

Venfayth

On the world map what does a little red scroll above a location mean?

Anyone find any good methods/suggestions for farming money/combat exp?

Anyone know what the requirements for the Monochrome Glasses recipe is? "Certain Support Skill" and "Certain Attack Skill" aren't really that descriptive.

Anyone know what the requirements for the Monochrome Glasses recipe is? "Certain Support Skill" and "Certain Attack Skill" aren't really that descriptive.

Not exactly sure but when they say "support skill" and "attack skill" they mean the MP-costing abilities you select from a menu, not the support attacks or support defends. Just try all the attacks from all your characters against a puni or something and you'll unlock it.

Got this arriving tomorrow... might skip the rest of my Atelier backlog and jump straight into this. I hate to abandon poor Totori but ive left it so long between plays that i dont know what im doing anymore
This is what I'm doing. There's about a 0% chance I'll play all of them at this point, might as well start fresh with this one.

Not exactly sure but when they say "support skill" and "attack skill" they mean the MP-costing abilities you select from a menu, not the support attacks or support defends. Just try all the attacks from all your characters against a puni or something and you'll unlock it.

Thanks, that ended up working. I was spending a lot of time trying to get the 300% chain support attacks thinking it would be those.

Yeah that's what I meant, one of them is to
defeat a monster in prospector's strand. How do I get there???

Many of the locations in this game unlock through events. Just keep checking in on everyone until someone offers you the location. I feel like the sheer volume of events in this Atelier game is far in excess of the other Ateliers, and the events that do happen are more banal as well unfortunately.

Some of the later game recipe unlock conditions border on the absurd. I think the worst one requires you to be in a specific location at a specific time with the rarest weather condition at the same time.

Venfayth

While digging around more on GameFAQs I noticed a great early money making method:

In the zone Forgotten Nursery, on the very first area in that stage in the top left corner are two gathering spots next to the entrance to another area. The only things you get from these gathering spots are rainbow gems, which sell for 30-40 each. Basically gather those two spots, then zone to the next area, zone back to the first area, then check those two spots and gather them if they're there. Sometimes neither will spawn, or only one, but even with my increased inventory size it only takes 5 minutes or so to fill up my basket and when I get back to town I can sell them for about ~3k cole.

The synthesizing is really confusing and the game doesn't explain itself at all. Doesn't help that part of the cauldron description is still in Japanese..

So many colors and numbers and symbols D:

It's in Japanese?

I didn't notice.

Yeah this part

qZ4j0NY.jpg

It seems to explain more about the glowy things on the tetris board which are confusing me.

It seems placing an ingedient over one adds a value to the corresponding trait quality. And it seems there's a different effect of placing them on matching color sparkly tiles. Or not? At least the symbol that shows up looks differently. I don't know D:

Saphirax

Yeah this part

It seems to explain more about the glowy things on the tetris board which are confusing me.

It seems placing an ingedient over one adds a value to the corresponding trait quality. And it seems there's a different effect of placing them on matching color sparkly tiles. Or not? At least the symbol that shows up looks differently. I don't know D:

Oh, you're right - it is in Japanese. The glowing symbols come in 3 different sizes. The bigger they are the more value you'll get for certain traits. The help section in the encyclopedia is more comprehensive than the in-game tutorials.

For example if you want to make a Uni bag you'll notice that one of its properties is Physical damage S. Now if you want to increase its damage to M (meaning the value needs to be 50+) you'll need to put the synthesis materials such as Uni etc on the yellow shiny symbols which will make even more of those symbols appear, some which will be bigger than the others.

The smallest shiny gives you +3, medium +5 and the biggest one +7 to the same colored properties.

Alanae

Yeah this part

the first japanese line there explains about how each panel (doesn't matter if it has a glowy orb or not) you fill gives +1 quality to the resulting item.
basically, even if the item you're making have does properties that can be improved, don't be lazy and override ingredients to be done fast, because you'll lose out on quality that way.
The second part is what Saphirax said.
keep in mind that matching the colors of the ingredients to the glowy orbs give a 1.5x multiplier to the values listed.

Oh, you're right - it is in Japanese. The glowing symbols come in 3 different sizes. The bigger they are the more value you'll get for certain traits. The help section in the encyclopedia is more comprehensive than the in-game tutorials.

For example if you want to make a Uni bag you'll notice that one of its properties is Physical damage S. Now if you want to increase its damage to M (meaning the value needs to be 50+) you'll need to put the synthesis materials such as Uni etc on the yellow shiny symbols which will make even more of those symbols appear, some which will be bigger than the others.

The smallest shiny gives you +3, medium +5 and the biggest one +7 to the same colored properties.

the first japanese line there explains about how each panel (doesn't matter if it has a glowy orb or not) you fill gives +1 quality to the resulting item.
basically, even if the item you're making have does properties that can be improved, don't be lazy and override ingredients to be done fast, because you'll lose out on quality that way.
The second part is what Saphirax said.
keep in mind that matching the colors of the ingredients to the glowy orbs give a 1.5x multiplier to the values listed.

Thank you both, it finally clicked and everything I make is so much better now haha.

Still think it could use a better tutorial but it's actually a pretty cool system now!

Alanae

as last thing, the color percentages at the top of the screen rise as you add ingredients of the corresponding element.
when you finish adding everything, you'll get the highest color percentage added as multiplier to all the bars of that color (possible to get multiple colors percentages if its a draw). Which is why its a good idea to try and stick to using same element ingredients if possible.
If you overwrite an ingredient, its contribution to the percentage will be lost (which can be a good tactic if you want a color bonus of a color which isn't the one the majority of your ingredients have).

SephLuis

I just got my 6x6 expert grid with full rotation. It's so good! Everything I make is such high quality.

Are you using the fairy cauldron ? Just got this one too.

I still got a few dozen of recipes to go through. I haven't finished the third tier of recipes and I have already opened the, what I believe, is the last tier.

Oh, and suddenly everyone remembered one secret place with some great itens and lots of strong enemies. Got. I guess, 4-5 unexplored places now -_-

Venfayth

Are you using the fairy cauldron ? Just got this one too.

I still got a few dozen of recipes to go through. I haven't finished the third tier of recipes and I have already opened the, what I believe, is the last tier.

Oh, and suddenly everyone remembered one secret place with some great itens and lots of strong enemies. Got. I guess, 4-5 unexplored places now -_-

No, just one called "Expert Cauldron" lol

But I think I just unlocked the area where you might get a Fairie Cauldron :)

Got a Tuning Cauldron also!

Sonicbug

I'm surprised to hear that the English voice actress for Pamela is back. It's been YEARS. Recognized her instantly, and she's voicing Makelet too. It's such and random detail and it's been ages, and she was badly injured and hasn't been doing much work in recent years.

I'm surprised to hear that the English voice actress for Pamela is back. It's been YEARS. Recognized her instantly, and she's voicing Makelet too. It's such and random detail and it's been ages, and she was badly injured and hasn't been doing much work in recent years.

Glad to hear she's back. It's a strange boyish accent that I've always associated with Pamela and it just wouldn't be the same without her. Pamela is a lot less silly in this iteration though, so I guess a voice change would not have been too unusual.

SephLuis

No, just one called "Expert Cauldron" lol

But I think I just unlocked the area where you might get a Fairie Cauldron :)

Got a Tuning Cauldron also!

I guess I skipped the Tuning Cauldron. I was using the Expert and suddenly found the fairy one. By maximizing everything, it allows me to rotate ingredients at will, it's big and it colors the squares according to the item's color.

So yeah this game is really good so far. Just made my first own cauldron.

+ I like how the game guides you along a path but never forces you. The way new areas, recipes and character events appear feels very natural and makes progress really enjoyable. There is always a number of things to do and you can pretty much choose freely in which order to tackle them.
+ Combat is more involved than I expected. Enemies can definitely ruin you if you don't plan your moves correctly and your usable items really matter. I expect that it can be easily broken later but I guess that's what the difficulty setting is for that you can change at any time.
+ Gathering on fields has a good flow because of the gather -> fight -> gather -> fight dynamic and the time of day/weather changes. There's a natural time limit because of LP and the number of items you can carry.

- English dub isn't very good. Only very few scenes are voiced and the voices I heard so far aren't very accurate to the character. Sophie is supposed to be a ditzy airhead and that really doesn't come accros with the English VA for example. Stick to JP.
- Environments are meh, but I always appreciate how mid-budget JP games know where to spend money and where to save it. It's polished in the areas where it matters most (character models, mechanics) so I really don't mind.

So yeah I'm going back to playing more now :)

Kudo

Still no shipping notice for LE, this makes me sad.
Guess I'll wait few more days before emailing them..

Played it on Vita and PS4 now and the difference is massive. It's definitely playable on Vita but it's so smooth and gorgeous on PS4.

Question time:

- In battles, pressing start turns a "skip" function on or off, but it doesn't seem to change anything. What does it do?

- Items have a quality (damaged, avarage, high quality) and a letter grade which don't seem to be 100% proportional. What's the difference? It seems like the letter grade takes traits into account and basically tells me how powetful my item is, but what does quality do? It doesn't seem to make a difference so far. From Rorona I remember turning in items with higher quality for your monthly quests gave you a better grade, but since this isn't in this game I don't see the point.
Finally got this today and just started playing!

I will never forgive whoever made the decision that Atelier shiould be pronounced "at-lee-ur" instead of how everyone else pronounces it.
Heh this. I though I was weird for pronouncing it wrong in English after I heard them say it.

Alanae

Played it on Vita and PS4 now and the difference is massive. It's definitely playable on Vita but it's so smooth and gorgeous on PS4.

Question time:

- In battles, pressing start turns a "skip" function on or off, but it doesn't seem to change anything. What does it do?

- Items have a quality (damaged, avarage, high quality) and a letter grade which don't seem to be 100% proportional. What's the difference? It seems like the letter grade takes traits into account and basically tells me how powetful my item is, but what does quality do? It doesn't seem to make a difference so far. From Rorona I remember turning in items with higher quality for your monthly quests gave you a better grade, but since this isn't in this game I don't see the point.

Heh this. I though I was weird for pronouncing it wrong in English after I heard them say it.
the skip just speeds up the animations.
Quality has affects such as powering up bombs/healing items and giving higher stats to equipment you craft with them

How do you get new cauldrons?
I'm already at the "craft a key" point in the story, I've unlocked four recipe categories, saw tons of side events, all my characters are at level cap.
And all new cauldron recipes are still locked for me except the one from the very first category (practice one?)

evilalien

I'm already at the "craft a key" point in the story, I've unlocked four recipe categories, saw tons of side events, all my characters are at level cap.
And all new cauldron recipes are still locked for me except the one from the very first category (practice one?)

I only have 3 cauldrons so far, but I'm fairly certain you have to find the expert and later ones in certain areas. If you are that far you've likely missed the expert cauldron in
Moon Sun Moor

I only have 3 cauldrons so far, but I'm fairly certain you have to find the expert and later ones in certain areas. If you are that far you've likely missed the expert cauldron in
Moon Sun Moor
Hm. Are they inside dungeons in chests that are marked with yellow icons on the minimap?

I feel pretty under-powered so far, I guess it's a while before you can make decent equipment. Still making good progress though, the game really opens up a lot of areas at once.

Alanae

you get the new recipes when you obtain the cauldrons, you just use them to upgrade the cauldrons themselves.
Besides the early ones you can buy from Cornelia, you generally get them from fixed chests in dungeon, there's one which one would be likely to miss, because to get it you have to get past a boss monster that will probably one turn kill you when you first come across it.

Hobbun

The synthesizing is really confusing and the game doesn't explain itself at all. Doesn't help that part of the cauldron description is still in Japanese..

So many colors and numbers and symbols D:

Have you, or anyone else, noticed any other locations that still have Japanese script?

I was thinking purchasing this, but don’t want to if there are multiple areas where I can’t read the text. Especially if the process it somewhat complicated like what I’ve heard with the alchemy.

I wonder if (hope) this will be something they will patch.

Have you, or anyone else, noticed any other locations that still have Japanese script?

I was thinking purchasing this, but don’t want to if there are multiple areas where I can’t read the text. Especially if the process it somewhat complicated like what I’ve heard with the alchemy.

I wonder if (hope) this will be something they will patch.

No that's the only one. The localization seems decent/good otherwise, and KT is aware of that mistake and working on it.

There are things that the game could explain better, but once you have the basics down everything falls into place.

Hobbun

No that's the only one. The localization seems decent/good otherwise, and KT is aware of that mistake and working on it.

There are things that the game could explain better, but once you have the basics down everything falls into place.

Ok, that's good. And especially that KT is working on it. Sounds like a patch will be incoming.

I have tried playing the Atelier series in the past (I think the one I played was Rorona) and was not a fan of the time limits on missions and eventually stopped playing it.

I understand they've done away with that now for a little while. Which game was the first one in the series they stopped with the timed quests?

Saphirax

Ok, that's good. And especially that KT is working on it. Sounds like a patch will be incoming.

I have tried playing the Atelier series in the past (I think the one I played was Rorona) and was not a fan of the time limits on missions and eventually stopped playing it.

I understand they've done away with that now for a little while. Which game was the first one in the series they stopped with the timed quests?

Shallie, the previous game.

Jisgsaw

Many of the locations in this game unlock through events. Just keep checking in on everyone until someone offers you the location.

Well, I got the location... after having complete the first book.

Whatever.

What does it mean when in the status screen of a character, its friendship level is red instead of black?

That would be Shallie, but the time limit was alreadey very lax in Ayesha and Esha.

hampig

I really want to play these games because of how beautiful they look, but the story and characters always turns me off. Is this the same as the others in the cheesy/anime cliches department?

Alanae

I really want to play these games because of how beautiful they look, but the story and characters always turns me off. Is this the same as the others in the cheesy/anime cliches department?
probably? Atelier sophie is still an atelier game after all.
(Although I can't really say the story is much of a focus here, you could play it for gameplay if it's really turning you off from the game)

Jisgsaw

It means it's at the maximum it can be at your current point. I think the limit increases with story progression but I'm not 100% sure.

That's what I thought. I don't think it's only story progression though.
Oskar's been sitting at 25 for a looong time now (I'm almost at the end).

That's what I thought. I don't think it's only story progression though.
Oskar's been sitting at 25 for a looong time now (I'm almost at the end).
I think this means that you need to search for their next event and trigger it to progress further.
Try talking to Oskar during different times of the day, especially if he's not at his usual place on the town map.

Hobbun

That would be Shallie, but the time limit was alreadey very lax in Ayesha and Esha.

I had heard that the time limit hadn't been a factor for the last few games now. Maybe that’s what I was hearing in that the prior two (before Shallie) the time limit was much more lenient.

I will get back to playing the Atelier games again, as I do enjoy the crafting and have always liked turn-based combat, but have so many other games first on my list.

Jisgsaw

I think this means that you need to search for their next event and trigger it to progress further.
Try talking to Oskar during different times of the day, especially if he's not at his usual place on the town map.

I did that, but maybe I didn't look hard enough.

I had heard that the time limit hadn't been a factor for the last few games now. Maybe that’s what I was hearing in that the prior two (before Shallie) the time limit was much more lenient.

I will get back to playing the Atelier games again, as I do enjoy the crafting and have always liked turn-based combat, but have so many other games first on my list.

Yeah, starting with Ayesha, the time limit became less and less relevant.
I may be biased, but my favorite battle system of all atelier games is still Esha, and by a wide margin.

Does anyone know where the Book Familiar monsters can be found?

Top Bottom