• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ATI 58XX Preview - Media Stuff goes in here.

artist

Banned
godhandiscen said:
Yeah just went to [H] and got the same info. I heard the regular 5870 cores can go to 1GHz easily went overvolted. Apparently, this card is a beast.
The slides I posted clearly mention these are cherry picked cores.

Xavien

so here we are:

20710.png

5970 at 5870 speeds = over 60fps

This is the card that I'm going to get for sure.

Dynamic3

I think I'm confused about these cards.

If I understand correctly, the 5750 5770 5850 5870 and forthcoming 5970 are the new and only DX11 cards right? And the main difference between the 57xx and the 58xx is that the 58xx are 256-bit as opposed to 128-bit, with the 5970 being 2GB (essentially a 5870 x2)?

So from what I gather, the 5870 is about even with the 295?

Holy Shit that's impressive, but I only have 1680*1050 on my 22'' so the 5870 is fine for me - love being able to run everything at max :D

dionysus

Yaldog
@ Dynamic3: Power requirements are also drastically different betwee 48xx, 57xx, 58xx, and 59xx. The 5xxx have much better idle performance than previous generations in addition to the standard differences in power draw between the different tiers of cards.

Over on hardocp it looks like AMD is going to fail in meeting their goals for having .5 million 58xx cards shipped by years end. Of course, the blame it on TSMC. Maybe companies need to stop promising intel like fab results.

Dynamic3 said:

If I understand correctly, the 5750 5770 5850 5870 and forthcoming 5970 are the new and only DX11 cards right? And the main difference between the 57xx and the 58xx is that the 58xx are 256-bit as opposed to 128-bit, with the 5970 being 2GB (essentially a 5870 x2)?

The 58XX cards also have quite a few more cores or whatever so they are more powerful than 57XX cards on in addion to the memory bandwidth.

DarkUSS said:
Is 5970 the first graphics card that can run Crysis at such high fps?

Yeah, anandtech said it was over kill for just one monitor (except for crysis). The 5970 is currently the fastest single card on the market right now.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Guys any news on the release date of the 5890? My parents want to give me a present for christmas, should I just ask for the money and wait for the 5890? Also, can a 750W PSU run 2x5870's?

Dynamic3 said:

No, I have a 295GTX and I had the chance to test a 5870 that I put in a system I built. The 5870 is a tad faster. The difference is noticeable like the difference between the 295 and 285.

godhandiscen said:
Guys any news on the release date of the 5890? My parents want to give me a present for christmas, should I just ask for the money and wait for the 5890? Also, can a 750W PSU run 2x5870's?

A 750W PSU should be enough to run 2x 5870's. I think 600W is the minimum requirement for 5870 crossfire, but don't quote me on that.

Upcoming Catalyst Driver Features.

http://www.behardware.com/news/10636/catalyst-innovations-on-their-way.html

- CrossFire X profiles per application will now be in a separate XML file that it will be possible to update independently of the driver itself
- ATI CrossFire X with PowerPlay for the Radeon 5x00s: reduced energy consumption of additional cards
-AMD Dual Graphics: Possibility of combining performances of the IGP of the RS880 with the forthcoming entry level GPUs from the Cedar and Park ranges.
- 3D Stereoscopics: Update of the D3D driver so as to allow third party firms such as IZ3D to use their 3D solution with 120 Hz screens. Support for Bit Cauldron glasses.
- Eyefinity: Bezel Management
- Better GPU acceleration in Windows 7 Video Converter
- Support for DisplayPort Audio (already in the 9.12 hotfix)
- If laptop manufacturers allow it, possibility of installing the Catalysts on a laptop in Vista and 7
- Improvement of 2D performance in Linux
- Support for Ubuntu 9.10 and OpenSUSE 11.2

Finally Individual Profiles.

So if I was going to put together a new box and had some money to throw at it, should I get two 5850's and crossfire them (or whatever it's called - ATI's version of SLI)? or should I get a single 5970?

Binabik15

What do the individual profiles do?

Only forcing (MS)AA and stuff for a specific game or even things like different chip clocks per game?

Crysis only OCing would be nice.

But finally getting my ordered 5850 would be nice as well.

Xavien

Binabik15 said:
What do the individual profiles do?

Only forcing (MS)AA and stuff for a specific game or even things like different chip clocks per game?

Crysis only OCing would be nice.

But finally getting my ordered 5850 would be nice as well.

It would enable programs like nhancer for ATi/AMD Cards.

Presto said:
I have about $300 to spend, should I just pick up a 5850 or is a new gpu going to be announced soon?

There'll be nothing better available at $300 for a long time. Well, unless the release of Fermi sees a huge slash to the the 5870s prices (unlikely).

Rabid Wolverine said:
Upcoming Catalyst Driver Features.

http://www.behardware.com/news/10636/catalyst-innovations-on-their-way.html

Finally Individual Profiles.

Eh, that refers to CrossfireX, I would hold steady for now, afterall this a feature that's supposed to have been coming for the best part of a decade. I'll believe it when I see it, and I won't buy another ATI card until it does arrive.

JudgeN

Hows the OC ability on the 5850? Can it hit 5870 stock levels? God I want to hold out for the 5890 but I don't think I can, I just like to spend money :lol

drizzle

Axel Hertz
If i'm planning on running the card at stock speeds, what's a best purchase? The 5870 or the 5970?

I have a big temperature problem (i live overseas where it's hot as fuck), so stock speeds for me. Graphics still tell me that the 5970 is a better deal.

dionysus said:
@ Dynamic3: Power requirements are also drastically different betwee 48xx, 57xx, 58xx, and 59xx. The 5xxx have much better idle performance than previous generations in addition to the standard differences in power draw between the different tiers of cards.

Over on hardocp it looks like AMD is going to fail in meeting their goals for having .5 million 58xx cards shipped by years end. Of course, the blame it on TSMC. Maybe companies need to stop promising intel like fab results.

Looks like they reached their quota. And them some!

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Haven't played PC games in a few years because I'm still using my Nvidia 6800 Ultra OC (lol) PC. I'm thinking I'll build a new PC whenever the AMD 6850s or Nvidia equivalent come out.

I want that AMD 5970's performance without the heating, power, reliability, or cost issues of high end overclocked hardware. When my 6800 Ultra OC was about 2 years old, it started overheating and crashing games about 20-30 minutes in. Simply not worth the hassle.

So when do the next gen cards come out? Q4 this year? Q1-Q2 2011?

Erebus

OK TechGAF, looks like I could use some help here.

My brother just purchased and installed a Radeon 5970 on his PC. As soon as the system booted in Windows 7, we noticed a major decrease in the amount of RAM resulting in merely 4GB instead of the 6GB that is actually installed in the computer. We tried to load the default settings under the CMOS setup but nothing seemed to work. We also ran a memtest and the results were error-free.

So what's the deal with the 2GB of missing RAM? Has anyone experienced anything similar before?

DarkUSS said:

My brother just purchased and installed a Radeon 5970 on his PC. As soon as the system booted in Windows 7, we noticed a major decrease in the amount of RAM resulting in 4GB instead of the 6GB that is actually installed in the computer. We tried to load the default settings under the CMOS setup but nothing seemed to work. We also ran a memtest and the results were error-free.

So what's the deal with the 2GB of missing RAM? Has anyone experienced anything similar before?

OS?

Erebus

brain_stew said:
Windows 7 x64

I forgot to mention that we didn't have any RAM issues prior to the gfx card installation, plus we re-opened the PC case to make sure that the RAM dimms weren't accidentally moved or something.

DarkUSS said:
Windows 7 x64

I forgot to mention that we didn't have any RAM issues prior to the gfx card installation, plus we re-opened the PC case to make sure that the RAM dimms weren't accidentally moved or something.

Check out CPU-Z and what it's displaying under the memory tab.

Animal

Banned
DarkUSS said:

My brother just purchased and installed a Radeon 5970 on his PC. As soon as the system booted in Windows 7, we noticed a major decrease in the amount of RAM resulting in merely 4GB instead of the 6GB that is actually installed in the computer. We tried to load the default settings under the CMOS setup but nothing seemed to work. We also ran a memtest and the results were error-free.

Open the box and re-seat your ram sticks.

vazel

Banned
DarkUSS said:
That did the trick thanks. Probably a DIMM wasn't properly seated in the slot. :/
Haha I bet you feel stupid now about not doing that basic troubleshooting step. Same thing happened to me and then people laughed at me at the computer forum I was posting for help about that on.

Erebus

vazel said:
Haha I bet you feel stupid now about not doing that basic troubleshooting step. Same thing happened to me and then people laughed at me at the computer forum I was posting for help about that on.
Indeed :lol

What's worse, this was actually my first thought when I saw 4GB RAM on Windows, therefore we immediately opened the case to specifically check the RAM DIMMs. Guess we missed it the first time as everything seemed perfectly fine. Eventually, we had to actually remove the DIMMs and reposition them into the slots again.

Oh well, I blame my brother for all the trouble. :p

vocab

BudokaiMR2 said:
Are the ATI prices already starting to drop or am I imagining things?

The Sapphire 5850 is actually $299 now instead of being $309 like it was the other day. They should go down gradually, but it will be a while before they give them away for a steal.

IMACOMPUTA

vocab said:
The Sapphire 5850 is actually $299 now instead of being $309 like it was the other day. They should go down gradually, but it will be a while before they give them away for a steal.

I got my XFX 5850 for around $240-250 on newegg the week they were released.
Just got lucky. Glad I did it!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
IMACOMPUTA said:
I got my XFX 5850 for around $240-250 on newegg the week they were released.
Just got lucky. Glad I did it!
Same here. I knew this would happen. It is the only video card I've ever bought at launch.

dejan

Some new custom 5870/5970 cards from the CeBIT:

Asus Ares: HD 5970 done right - 2x5870 with 2 GiByte GDDR5 each and custom cooling solution
asus-ares.dual-hd5870-qy7w.jpg

MSI-HD5870-Twin-Frozr - OCed 5870 with 1 GiByte GDDR5 and custom cooling solution
msi-grafikkarten-cebitab54.jpg

Asus HD 5870 Matrix - OCed 5870 with 2 GiByte GDDR5 and custom cooling solution
asus-hd5870-matrix-034zg6.jpg

Sapphire HD-5970-4G - 2x5870 with 2 GiByte GDDR5 each and custom cooling solution
saphire-hd-5970-4g-ceb3bvu.jpg

Top Bottom