• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlanta |OT| Donald Glover's New Show For FX - Tuesdays 10/9c

I expected after the tour is found out and he was sitting with Van I thought Anthony Hamilton- Charlene would start playing. Or maybe next season for when they are on the road

vypek

Was he staying in the storage unit all season? Or is this a recent thing?

The way he was bumming around all season for places to sleep and the turning down of two invites to have a place to stay make it seem like the storage unit was a behind the scenes development for him.

Great show, hated how the plot didnt really develop tho. Season finale led didnt really lead no where coulda been any other episode.

I think there's a lot more plot development than we think, it just wasn't as in your face as most television shows do. Earn finally has a "home" that he earned, Paperboi is going on tour, Van and Earn have seemingly patched things up. There's more but those are just the few I noticed.

I can't wait for Netflix to put this show up so I can marathon it and try and catch anything I missed. Waiting week to week kills me :

Not

Banned
Loved this whole season. Glad Earn can afford that storage unit. Looks comfy.

Can't you like get arrested tho, I was always scared of trying that

Sunster

Loved this whole season. Glad Earn can afford that storage unit. Looks comfy.

Can't you like get arrested tho, I was always scared of trying that

Told to leave maybe. Arrested on sight? doubt it. I'm sure he's careful.

vypek

I think there's a lot more plot development than we think, it just wasn't as in your face as most television shows do. Earn finally has a "home" that he earned, Paperboi is going on tour, Van and Earn have seemingly patched things up. There's more but those are just the few I noticed.

I can't wait for Netflix to put this show up so I can marathon it and try and catch anything I missed. Waiting week to week kills me :

Right. The plot development takes place in the background. People will only catch the plot if they pay attention to the more subtle stuff that explains stuff. They aren't always explicitly showing how Earn managing/promoting/working for Al but its obviously there.

Binge watched the entire season, my wife stopped watching a few episodes in, she didn't like any of the characters (the guys basically), I wonder how it does with the female audience.

I enjoyed it all, to me it felt like a black Seinfeld or Curb with the pathos cranked to near max, especially with how flawed and self destructive some of the characters are. Maybe a bit directionless at times, like the episode with the fake commercials was funny but way too much time spent on the commercials. The ending was fantastic.

All in all though great stuff and can't wait for season 2, however long it takes. Hope the people behind it can maybe go do some other stuff while they wait to write/film it.

Sanjuro

Going to have to jump in. Been seeing a few scattered clips here and there and looks great. Does Pamela Adlon's show hold up as well to pair the show with?

Kickz

Quite a sullen ending there in the storage unit.. Should've probably just stayed with Van.

As always I am struck by the cinematography of this show, so many crisp shots that turns the mundaneness of sitting in a car or walking in the street look like art.

Negaduck

Going to have to jump in. Been seeing a few scattered clips here and there and looks great. Does Pamela Adlon's show hold up as well to pair the show with?

Me and the mrs have been watching Better things. It's pretty solid. It's a different pace entirely but it's not a bad show

Dereck

I wasn't too hot on Better Things earlier from episode 1-3 but I'm glad I stuck to it since it's improved a lot since then.

Blader

I don't think I've posted at all in this thread, but this is an excellent show and that was a great finale (despite not having enough Van) and I'm disappointed it's done so soon. Earn is probably my least favorite of the main four, but he definitely picked up for me these last few eps.

Can't wait til season 2. Now what's this about 2018?!

Mariolee

I don't think I've posted at all in this thread, but this is an excellent show and that was a great finale (despite not having enough Van) and I'm disappointed it's done so soon. Earn is probably my least favorite of the main four, but he definitely picked up for me these last few eps.

Can't wait til season 2. Now what's this about 2018?!

Blame Han Solo.

- The Watch podcast with Chris Ryan and Andy Greenwald:
Chris Ryan and Andy Greenwald are joined by FX president of original programming Nick Grad to discuss the success of 'Atlanta' (7:07), the development of that show’s second season (19:48), and the competition in today’s crowded TV landscape (35:30).

Does Pamela Adlon's show hold up as well to pair the show with?
It's a little uneven at the start, but I think it gets better. It's very specific, which is great if you're into it, but if you aren't...

Episode 2, lemon pepper wet scene has the local access show on the TV that he appears in later episode

Also at the goodnight on ep10 Earn purposely not meets Van's eyes and walks away when she starts to lean towards him

Dereck

3tgje53.gif

5JrdzgG.gif

jhJtbb9.gif

Sanjuro

I binged up until the urine test episode. Great show so far and very hard to draw comparison to other shows. Steals elements, but has its own vibe largely.

Praying that there is more Zan going forward.

vypek

What?! How come? Damn. Absolutely loved, loved, loved season one, but that news seriously sucks.

They are still doing writing now but I believe its that Donald Glover won't be available for filming until after his role as Lando is done filming. There is probably only like one or two episodes in the next season that doesn't have him actually in it.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Just finished it after binge watching

Great show

That club episode where those people get hit by the invisible car after the gun shots 😂😂😂

Salsa

adored the season in its entirety

I love when a series has such a strong mood and setting that it really just takes you there with each ep

it puts stuff like that forward rather than any plot importance or continuity so it's definetly not for everyone, but I appreciated it fully. feels like music, actually

Salsa

Opinions on why Earn opted to sleep in a rental storage unit instead of at Van's or Alfred's places?

mh, those pride responses are weird

he did it entirely for Van, he'd rather sleep in a shitty place on his terms than be a burden to her. that's the season's "arc", even tho plot really is secondary background

vypek

mh, those pride responses are weird

he did it entirely for Van, he'd rather sleep in a shitty place on his terms than be a burden to her. that's the season's "arc", even tho plot really is secondary background

How would he burden Van? He can only stay with her of he can afford it. He is only around Van when he can actually contribute whether or be monetarily or as a father for Lottie. His arc to me was pulling himself up from rock bottom and improving his life with the background plot complementing that.

On his own terms he probably never had to stay at Van's since he could probably crash with Al.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
How would he burden Van? He can only stay with her of he can afford it. He is only around Van when he can actually contribute whether or be monetarily or as a father for Lottie. His arc to me was pulling himself up from rock bottom and improving his life with the background plot complementing that.

On his own terms he probably never had to stay at Van's since he could probably crash with Al.
yep. staying at Van's while contributing financially would actually help her with their daughter, especially now that they're on better terms and she truly wants him to stick around. and like you said, he could crash at Al's too.

he ends the season looking at a money bill in a storage unit, it doesn't get clearer than that. it has everything to do with personal pride and dignity, at least as far as how Earn perceives it. it's also the reason why he doesn't disclose to anyone where he's staying.

Top Bottom