• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus announces Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (DS)

7Th said:
Why the fuck do people care if this is supposed to be SMT4 or not? Will that really change the quality of the game or your perception of it?

Because we've been waiting for Shin Megami Tensei 4 for years.

That's not going to affect how much I do or do not enjoy Strange Journey, it's easily up there with 7th Dragon and Dragon Quest IX as one of my most anticipated rpgs. Strange Journey looks like it's making great technical leaps over the Etrian Odyssey's and out does Devil Survivor with some great looking animated sprites. I'm not out of sorts that that next "true" Shin Megami Tensei is a handheld title, I just Atlus to move forward with the main series by actually releasing that game, which appears to be Strange Journey.

drtomoe123 said:
I just want to say that yes, I was butthurt about the fact that this game is on the DS. Even more so whenever we found out that this was SMTIV.

but shit, these trailers have officially won me over
How many times does it have to be clarified that this isn't SMT4?

duckroll

I'm going to say it once here, and put this in the OP. The next person who tries to start up shit about whether this is SMT4 or not, will get a month long holiday. This is not SMT4, but it is it the next official installment in the SMT series. There's nothing to argue about, it's just getting retarded at this point, from BOTH sides of the fence. Okay?

Calints Neos said:
We can't like both j-pop and classic megaten tunes am i rite??

P1 didn't have j-pop. P1 for PSP does. My views on the use of j-pop/rap in P3/4 is another story. SMT games have always been a darker alternative to what most rpgs are (bright and happy anime). So when you see P4 look like the total opposite of that.....well, what do you expect the reaction to be? We've got far too many happy and bright anime types of rpgs these days. I want the last of the alternative to not sell out and turn into more of the same.

U K Narayan said:
Please elaborate.

People who wanted to play P3 in english with Japanese voice overs made a version that does just that. And the music was remixed, not replaced....

duckroll

xs_mini_neo said:
P1 didn't have j-pop. P1 for PSP does. My views on the use of j-pop/rap in P3/4 is another story. SMT games have always been a darker alternative to what most rpgs are (bright and happy anime). So when you see P4 look like the total opposite of that.....well, what do you expect the reaction to be? We've got far too many happy and bright anime types of rpgs these days. I want the last of the alternative to not sell out and turn into more of the same.

I don't think "bright and happy" are terms anyone who has played the game will use to associate Persona 4 with.

duckroll

With 5-6 hours to go before the website update this week, let's talk about Mansemat. I got this pic from the mobile site.

2iw6kx1.jpg

Yaweee

I'd say that's one of Kaneko's best designs in recent memory. (Other contenders in the post-Nocturne era would include Raidou 1/2's "Blond Dude" and Narumi, and, um... I'm not entirely sure what else. I can't find a list of which Demon designs were new from the DDS or Raidou 2 games, so it's hard to say)

duckroll

Yaweee said:
I'd say that's one of Kaneko's best designs in recent memory.

I think Kaneko puts in extra work when he's designing a demon character who also has a major role in the storyline of a game he's creating.

duckroll said:
I don't think "bright and happy" are terms anyone who has played the game will use to associate Persona 4 with.

I included anime. Anime has teh bright and happy style with people dying sometimes, and they even have personal struggles or embarrassing moments only to solve them shortly after with some upbeat tunes to let you know everything is okay, just like P4...not to mention all the wacky hijinx that ensues whenever they have summerbreak or just about any other school activity. Just because a couple of people die doesn't mean P4 was this dark, sinister masterpiece that put SMT1-3 to shame. The deliberate bright colors and happy/upbeat atmosphere (with matching j-pop) despite what is treated as serious business in the story, says it was crossing the line into stereotypical rpg land. At least P3 was somewhat dark. And of course there are the social links.... :(

On the bright side...at least it hasn't infected SJ. :) If they want Persona to be that way from now on, then fine. As long as it doesn't take over the mainline games.

duckroll said:
I'm going to say it once here, and put this in the OP. The next person who tries to start up shit about whether this is SMT4 or not, will get a month long holiday. This is not SMT4, but it is it the next official installment in the SMT series. There's nothing to argue about, it's just getting retarded at this point, from BOTH sides of the fence. Okay?
Thank you.

duckroll

xs_mini_neo said:
I included anime. Anime has teh bright and happy style with people dying sometimes, and they even have personal struggles or embarrassing moments only to solve them shortly after with some upbeat tunes to let you know everything is okay, just like P4...not to mention all the wacky hijinx that ensues whenever they have summerbreak or just about any other school activity. Just because a couple of people die doesn't mean P4 was this dark, sinister masterpiece that put SMT1-3 to shame. The deliberate bright colors and happy/upbeat atmosphere (with matching j-pop) despite what is treated as serious business in the story, says it was crossing the line into stereotypical rpg land. At least P3 was somewhat dark. And of course there are the social links.... :(

Why are you comparing Persona 4 with SMT 1-3, when you should be comparing it with Persona 1-3? They're not the same series. Brighter art direction, high school setting, and anime style designs and FMVs have always been what the Persona series has been about. In fact, it all originates in SMT If, which served as the foundation of a high school storyline with character based stories, wacky hijinx events and themed dungeons.

It's one thing to say you just don't like Persona's style compared to SMT, it's another thing to try to make it sound like Persona was different before Persona 4 in terms of setting and scenario. There is nothing stereotypical about Persona's setting, unless you want to find me other JRPGs which take place in modern day and have a storyline with similar occult overtones. Maybe you should just shut the fuck up if you don't know what you're talking about.

duckroll said:
Why are you comparing Persona 4 with SMT 1-3, when you should be comparing it with Persona 1-3? They're not the same series. Brighter art direction, high school setting, and anime style designs and FMVs have always been what the Persona series has been about. In fact, it all originates in SMT If, which served as the foundation of a high school storyline with character based stories, wacky hijinx events and themed dungeons.

It's one thing to say you just don't like Persona's style compared to SMT, it's another thing to try to make it sound like Persona was different before Persona 4 in terms of setting and scenario. There is nothing stereotypical about Persona's setting, unless you want to find me other JRPGs which take place in modern day and have a storyline with similar occult overtones. Maybe you should just shut the fuck up if you don't know what you're talking about.
Thanks for that. I went looking for the Kate Beaton "Shut up you are so boring" image, but got distracted by her other comics.

duckroll said:

I compared it to Persona 1+2 as well. Don't tell me those were identical to P3/4. Not only did they not feature generic anime artwork, they also had a darker atmosphere and music to match...with no social links with lame anime NPCs replacing the superior demon negotiation from the first two games. It was easy to see that P1/2 were a part of the SMT universe. P3/4 feel more like a spin-off of the spin-off. You can have a SMT in highschool without including j-pop and bright colors and themes, which P1/2 managed just fine without. Don't know why you'd say I had a problem with the highschool setting or FMV, since I didn't mentioned those. And just because P3/4 had some minor occult themes tacked on, doesn't mean it's the same thing. C'mon, you know they'd never have nazis or Hitler in something like P4. At least in P3 they had that Jesus clone killing people...

RocketDarkness said:
Thanks for that. I went looking for the Kate Beaton "Shut up you are so boring" image, but got distracted by her other comics.

*sigh*

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
duckroll said:

Dude, murders, kidnappings, psychotic megalomaniacs, identity issues and fights to death against personifications of all your negative emotions is waaaaay more family friendly than even Mario RPGs. If Strange Journey doesnt have five apocalypses and a rape scene in the intro...well fuck that shit.

Also SMT 1-3 never had humor or hijinx...never. Super serial all the time.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
duckroll said:
I think Kaneko puts in extra work when he's designing a demon character who also has a major role in the storyline of a game he's creating.

I hope there are tons of new designs. Kaneko's demon designs are easy the biggest draw for me.

I'd like to see a white Nandi redesign and a three headed Cerebus. Hell why dont they ever use the Soul Hacker art for him?

HK-47 said:
Dude, murders, kidnappings, psychotic megalomaniacs, identity issues and fights to death against personifications of all your negative emotions is waaaaay more family friendly than even Mario RPGs. If Strange Journey doesnt have five apocalypses and a rape scene in the intro...well fuck that shit.

Also SMT 1-3 never had humor or hijinx...never. Super serial all the time.

All those things happen in many other generic rpgs with bright and bubbly anime art and worlds. FF games have all those things...so by your logic FF = SMT. Hell, you find that stuff in Suikoden games, too. You know I just added a small opinion to a post to one person. I didn't say everyone jump to conclusions and kill me over it.

SMT1-3 has dark humor. P4 has light, stereotypical anime humor.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
xs_mini_neo said:
All those things happen in many other generic rpgs with bright and bubbly anime art and worlds. FF games have all those things...so by your logic FF = SMT. Hell, you find that stuff in Suikoden games, too. You know I just added a small opinion to a post to one person. I didn't say everyone jump to conclusions and kill me over it.

Just cause it has a brighter setting doesnt mean its doesnt handle its themes, which can get pretty heavy, in a mature and, more importantly, restrained fashion. Your bright and bubbly shit is the same crap as people who equate blood and guts with maturity. Just cause everyone isnt being assaulted by demons, acting stoic and serious all the time or fighting God (hey yeah that wasnt getting old) doesnt mean its worse.

Your entire angle is buzzwords.

Yaweee

HK-47 said:
I hope there are tons of new designs. Kaneko's demon designs are easy the biggest draw for me.

I'd like to see a white Nandi redesign and a three headed Cerebus. Hell why dont they ever use the Soul Hacker art for him?

P3P reverted to the Soul Hackers art for at least one demon (Loki), so hopefully they do the same for Cerberus?

EDIT: And to be back on topic so I don't get collaterally banned or something, tone is pretty consistent across the entire franchise. Except for DDS, they all begin happy and cheerful before everything goes to shit. The only thing that's different is how long they take to get depressing.

HK-47 said:
Just cause it has a brighter setting doesnt mean its doesnt handle its themes, which can get pretty heavy, in a mature and, more importantly, restrained fashion. Your bright and bubbly shit is the same crap as people who equate blood and guts with maturity. Just cause everyone isnt being assaulted by demons, acting stoic and serious all the time or fighting God (hey yeah that wasnt getting old) doesnt mean its worse.

Your entire angle is buzzwords.

Social links pretty much made it worse by default.

So because you think the original style is getting "old" its fair game to tinker with everything that can be tinkered with? It's a slippery slope, man. Once the wheels of change start it is hard to stop them. That's why the announcement of SJ was so surprising. And if "old" SMT is boring to you, then there are hundreds of rpgs out there that do things differently to love.

The P1 'remake' shoehorned in j-pop over the original music and ruined the game's atmosphere just to try and get the P3/4 crowd to care about it.

Serious storylines shouldn't be treated as filler to the main story that is social links and wacky light anime hijinx. I guess a better way to put it is that P4 and P3 to an extent had an identity crisis.

duckroll said:
Stop shitting up this thread with your shitty opinions. No one here is interested.

Fine. I was just defending my views to people who kept criticizing them. If my presence is that big a deal, then I won't bother posting here anymore.

Not that it isn't mildly interesting seeing his cracked mind in action, but what do xs_mini_neo's screwball views on Persona have to do with Strange Journey?

edit: ah, problem solved.

So I found myself wondering: will you meet enemies using guns against you? Why would demons use guns?
-> I imagine we have to fight other people in Demonica suits.

Yeah, all that just because there's a gun element in the game.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Chrono Helix said:
So I found myself wondering: will you meet enemies using guns against you? Why would demons use guns?

I'd shit my pants in fear if I saw Kali packing semi autos.

fallagin

Chrono Helix said:

There weren't guns in Nocturne? Nocturne must have been a totally different style from smt1&2. I need to get around to playing that.

duckroll

Maybe in one of the paths in the game you'll side with the demons and turn against humanity to wipe out the entire investigation team instead. :D

Man God

Non-Canon Member
duckroll said:
Maybe in one of the paths in the game you'll side with the demons and turn against humanity to wipe out the entire investigation team instead. :D

The fact that I have no idea where they are going to take the different alignment routes in this game is one of the reasons I'm so excited for it. It's pretty obvious in SMT3 where the choices are heading. But this game? No idea! Can't wait!

duckroll

Man God said:
The fact that I have no idea where they are going to take the different alignment routes in this game is one of the reasons I'm so excited for it. It's pretty obvious in SMT3 where the choices are heading. But this game? No idea! Can't wait!

I dunno, I mean in any given megaten game, the routes are never obvious until you actually play the game. While playing through the game, the choices become pretty obvious. I don't think any game tries to actually hide it from you, but before the release of any game I don't really feel anything is "obvious".

Man God

Non-Canon Member
All the previews from Nocturne made it pretty obvious with the whole destruction of the world thing.

I agree with SMT1 and SMT2 though. It becomes obvious as you play it.

Then again I was basing all of my preview knowledge on the US release and not the original JPN release so I may even be off about that.

Yaweee

finally some effing battles!

Didn't see the second System row coming.

The co-op system seems really powerful, but that just might be because everybody in the party had the same alignment? Attack that hits weakness: 15 damage. Automatic Co-Op follow up: 50 damage to every enemy.

duckroll

Yaweee said:
finally some effing battles!

Didn't see the second System row coming.

The co-op system seems really powerful, but that just might be because everybody in the party had the same alignment?

Yeah, I think it'll be interesting to see how this alignment thing pans out. If it's really so powerful, hopefully it doesn't limit how you play the game too much.

duckroll

I just noticed in the hi-res trailer on the official site that the 6 skill slots on the demons do in fact include passive skills. This rules out separate slots for passive skills. Daaaaamn that sucks. :(

Yaweee

duckroll said:
I just noticed in the hi-res trailer on the official site that the 6 skill slots on the demons do in fact include passive skills. This rules out separate slots for passive skills. Daaaaamn that sucks. :(

I thought you were saying that you didn't want that kind of separation in SJ?

EDIT: Found it.

duckroll said:
Well, I don't think it would be right to do the Command/Passive/Racial thing for an actual SMT game honestly. It really limits the demon choices when you're playing this way. Instead the traditional SMT limitation of simply having x skill slots on every demon, and being able to fill those with whatever, is much more to my liking.

There's no reason why I should be limited to having 3 command skills, if I feel the demon has nothing to benefit from passive skills at all. It kinda forces every demon to be kinda mixed, and while that works in games designed for that sort of mix like Raidou's action gameplay or DS' SRPG gameplay, I don't think it's ideal for a normal dungeon crawling RPG with tons of encounters.

duckroll

I would not want a separation at all if there are 8 skill slots. What Devil Survivor did was to limit the skill slots such that they divide it by command/passive/racial. I would rather have the same number of slots and have the freedom to do whatever I want with them. SJ has 6 slots, so I started hoping that there are separate passive slots just so we have MORE slots. Because 6 is too little.

289cth0.jpg

:((((

I think Arthur's got a Frosty kind of shape.

It seems that the MC's only limited to sword and gun moves.

Devil Co-op makes me think of All-Out Attacks.

The 3rd skill in High Pixie's (the 2nd member in the battle vid) Magic seems to be gun elemental in the skill description, despite the different icon.

Jack Frost has a physical attack that costs MP.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Only 6 skill slots? But 8 is like the near perfect amount.

Also I noticed that Morax does have flashing eyes, so there is a little activity.

duckroll

It seems there's some sort of SMT:SJ article in Famitsu this week after all, even though for whatever reason it's not in the TOC. Weeeeeeird. There's a new demon showcased, it's Astarte. Looks kinda weird. Humanoid looking female figure with long blond hair. The entire body is white with black lines.

Top Bottom