• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus is holding my persona 5 save file hostage for $56

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qblivion

So I went over to a friends house today and ended up playing some persona 5 on his PS4 with my cloud save (system level save, not in game cloud save) and since he has all the costume dlc I though I'd check it out and see all the costumes, since he bought the dlc on that PS4 I was able to access it on my profile. Ended up playing a decent amount and at the of the day I uploaded my save back to the cloud. When I get home and load up my game it gives me a message saying my save has content i don't own and boots me back to the title screen...

What the fuck.

I think back and remember I left one of the characters in a costume that I do not in fact own, and since it was only one I put down the $7 or so to buy that pack. Guess what? Still can't load my game.

My save is literally unplayable until I spend over $50 and buy every single costume pack.

I have played games on PS4s other than my own with dlc I didn't own before and this has never happened. How is this considered acceptable? I'm so fucking mad...

Theswweet

I highly doubt just removing the costumes will do any good, even if he did I'm pretty sure the "damage" is done, and his save is flagged for the DLC.

Atlus is right... you can't use a DLC you don't own on every console. If you could, would be very easy share DLC with friends.

You should go to your friend's house, load the save and use the costumes you own and then save again.

Spman2099

Can you go to your friends house, load the game and remove those costumes?

This seems like the best course of action to me... Worth a shot, at least.

It wouldn't matter about it being equipped or not. He redeemed all the DLC his friend had bought so it's in his inventory.

Oh shit...

If that is the case then I would usually say that I think the OP was at fault for risking their save file (and if we are being honest, seeing if they could get the DLC for free). However, the prices of said DLC are so completely absurd that I feel like I have to side with the OP.

Opa-Pa

Yeah I had something similar happen to me when my newphew set his PS4 as primary console for my account without telling me and learned how DLC works with this game... I think you're screwed, sadly.

The way I understand it, once you've received the costume items from the box in your room, they are forever tied to your save and therefore the game will always check if your account owns the digital content before starting the game... It's awful. It should simply remove them from your game until you load it up on a PS4 that owns them again.

Cartman86

Banned
Atlus is right... you can't use a DLC you don't own on every console. If you could, would be very easy share DLC with friends.

You should go to your friend's house, load the save and use the costumes you own and then save again.

Well yeah but a just implementation would remove the costume when you don't have access to it. This is just a shitty thing that maybe even should be a part of the Sony cert process.

Lynx_7

Persona 5: Take Your Save edition.
Sorry OP. I'm guessing your best bet is reloading an earlier save file.

Uzukii

Banned
Assuming you have older saves, did you try loading the game offline? I'm thinking the game must check your cloud saves when it loads while connected and sees you have DLC and won't let you in without it.

Qblivion

This seems like the best course of action to me... Worth a shot, at least.
I can try. I bought p4dan pack because the was the only costume I left equipped, but now I remeber I also has some accessories from another pack equipped. So if either unequiping those or buying that pack doesn't set things right I am truely fucked.

Spman2099

I can try. I bought p4dan pack because the was the only costume I left equipped, but now I remeber I also has some accessories from another pack equipped. So if either unequiping those or buying that pack doesn't set things right I am truely fucked.

As one of the above posters already said, it may be everything you received in your game. If that is the case, I think your only chance would be to contact Atlus and beg for mercy.

How deep into the game are you, man? Do you have any earlier saves?

cheesekao

How long did you play at your friends house? If it isn't anything like 20 hours or so then you should be able to power through with an older save.

It sounds like you screwed up your own save TBH. It's not Atlas' fault you used your save with content you don't have. What do you want them to do? Let you have all the DLC for free? For huge games like this it's really best to keep a few saves in case you need to roll back anyway.

Soodanim

Assuming you have older saves, did you try loading the game offline? I'm thinking the game must check your cloud saves when it loads while connected and sees you have DLC and won't let you in without it.
I'd guess that it's more of a "HasBoughtDLC" check, with he DLC already being downloaded and the purchase just being license to use it. So when he loads the save, it's checking locally for for the license, then kicking him out.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Sounds like you just need to move in with your friend until you finish Persona 5.

Also, only one save? That is bonkers.

Kyoufu

There's a solution here that won't cost you a dime.

Get your friend's PSN account info and activate your PS4 as primary on his account until you finish playing Persona 5.

Qblivion

i use a workaround to experience premium content for free and someone finally called me on it.
Sharing content on a single console between accounts is an advertised feature of the console. Any reasonable game would remove access to the dlc when I returned to playing it on my home console.

Opa-Pa

Cool to see there are people who are okay with a company blocking your save instead of just removing the DLC content from it lmao.

There's a solution here that won't cost you a dime.

Get your friend's PSN account info and activate your PS4 as primary on his account until you finish playing Persona 5.

Yes, this will work. Try convincing your friend.

herod

Sharing content on a single console between accounts is an advertised feature of the console. Any reasonable game would remove access to the dlc when I returned to playing it on my home console.
I'm sure everyone here who as paid for this content will feel so sympathetic with your plight.

Corpekata

Banned
I'm sure everyone here who as paid for this content will feel so sympathetic with your plight.

They should. Like holy fuck, you're broken inside if you think most people are going to respond like you because he got to try your waifu costumes out for a couple hours.

Kyoufu

oh geez.
lesson learned i guess. always have multiple saves especially for long ass games like this

That wouldn't have mattered but having another copy on a USB stick would have saved his file though.

Getting a cheap USB stick is something to consider for the future. Until then, just get your friend's PSN info and continue playing. Simples.

Should have at least made use of the in game cloud save. I used every 10 hours of playtime, just in case.

Anyway,s hopefully going back to your buds house and deselecting them might solve the problem.

BTW how many hours where you in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom