• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus New Teaser Site

Volcynika

Tamanon said:
Hey, you know Atlus spends a lot of their time on FMVs and summon animations. :p

Well they do have to make sure to have these demon models and such ready to use for many games! Gotta make em last!

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Tamanon said:
Hey, you know Atlus spends a lot of their time on FMVs and summon animations. :p
Bubububut what about my 5 hour long cutscenes all in FMV?! D:

:p

Tenbatsu said:
Not sure about this. Since DQX is on Wii, JRPG will soon follow suit.
Even if we accept your logic that the smallest of announcements that DQX will eventually make it to the Wii will lead to increased JRPGs on the platform, that doesn't mean JRPG sales will increase in the immediate future ;)

ethelred

Tamanon said:
My guess is that it'll have the big reveal in next week's Famitsu, timed as close as possible to the website reveal too.

I just think that while these teaser sites are all the rage these days, they're not usually used for the biggest of possible reveals. That's why I'm skeptical it could be Shin Megami Tensei 4 that this is for. I know people are going to let the hype go wild and expect that, but... it just doesn't seem likely that they'd announce it this way. Then people are going to go and get pissed when it turns out to be something else.

Tenbatsu

xero273 said:
are you sure? I thought this week's famitsu would spoil the cc countdown, but nothing happened. we might have to wait until the 24th
I think it should be similar to the Raidou 2 announcement.

grandjedi6 said:
Even if we accept your logic that the smallest of announcements that DQX will eventually make it to the Wii will lead to increased JRPGs on the platform, that doesn't mean JRPG sales will increase in the immediate future ;)
True true. But thats what happened on the DS so am just speculating.

Tamanon

Banned
ethelred said:
I just think that while these teaser sites are all the rage these days, they're not usually used for the biggest of possible reveals. That's why I'm skeptical it could be Shin Megami Tensei 4 that this is for. I know people are going to let the hype go wild and expect that, but... it just doesn't seem likely that they'd announce it this way. Then people are going to go and get pissed when it turns out to be something else.

For a while there, Atlus announced games by letting people find releases appearing on random sites. I'm pretty sure they realize with them it doesn't matter how it's revealed.

Persona would be cool but i really want a new SMT.

PS360 guarantees drastically updated monster designs. They've been using the same designs since SMT3. Can't wait to see what Kaneko can pull off on current gen hardware.

MoogPaul

ethelred said:
Atlus's RPGs are not going to follow anything onto the Wii. They've already been staffing up for the PS360, they're developing games for the PS360, and once they get one major game in place (again, hopefully SMT4! and hopefully soon), the rest will all follow.

Let that little dream die.

I thought Atlus only mentioned 360 development. I don't remember anything about them mentioning ps3 development...

Shadow780

Someone posted that this was on the site, but later removed...

bj9vsz.jpg

:OOOOOO

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Tenbatsu said:
The DS was becoming 'the" RPG platform before DQIX was announced and of all the RPG developers out there, Atlus is the least effected by whatever DQ does.

Actually I think the whole "wherever Dragon Quest goes, so goes all JRPGs" idea is highly overrated as the same reason why DQ appears on a system in the first place is the same reason why all those JRPGs are developed for it.

Jonnyram

Tenbatsu said:
This logic needs to end.
Besides, FF3 was announced for DS before the hardware even came out, so you are way wrong on every front.
Just saying.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
grandjedi6 said:
2005? Whatever that was, if it was even accurate, is unlikely to be related to this or any current projects.

Not that I'm saying SMT or whatever isn't going to PS3, but that certainly is not evidence of such. Or are we also suppose to expect that the 2004 announcement of a DS SMT game was actually the 2009 Devil Survivor?

Maybe this teaser is for SMT DS ;o

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
Here are the text fragments that pop up.

EDIT: now with semi-bullcrap translation

滅びの地の出現。
それは避けられない運命。
THE RUINED EARTH appears.
This was an unavoidable fate.

人類の未来のため、ともにがんばりましょう!
For the sake of the future of humanity, let's go for it together!

裕福な国からわざわざ死にに来たか?
Did an affluent nation bring this purposeful death?

どいつもこいつも浮き足立ちゃがって。
Everybody be prepared to run.

南極
South Pole

自分を見失うなよ!
Don't lose sight of yourself!

私たちは「希望」だぞ!
We are "hope"!

シュバルツバース調査隊
[Shubarutsubaasu] Investigative Unit

これが...アレの内部の様子だと?
This is... an internal state of affairs?

これは、兵士の手ね。頼もしいわ。
This is the work of a soldier. This looks promising.

レッドスプライト号
Red Stripe Edition

A B A B A B A B A B A B A B A B
A B A B A B A B A B A B A B A B

My guess is that it's a new spinoff. I'd love for it to be SMT4. But the text makes references to soldiers, nations, investigative units - all elements of human society. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I think if this was for SMT4 the text would be more like that of Nocturne's intro and focus on demonic/occult elements.

MotherFan

Jack Frost approaches you

"Heh ho Is SMT for next gen important to you heh ho?"
Yes, it is important to me
No, I could care less what system it is on.

MoogPaul

omg plz be an exclusive for the console i like so that later on i can put it in a list post on my favorite internets forum

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
SMT1 featured soldiers/nations/leaders etc.. etc.., It's not like SMT hasn't dealt with that yet.

SMT (main series) is always about a post-apocalyptic world, and the teaser features a world ending event of some sort. Sure, it could be something else... But I'm putting my bet on SMT4.

robut said:
Wouldn't be surprised if they announce a game that's co-op in nature. That seems where all rgps are going these days.
You shut your mouth. >:| Co-op already ruined Resdient Evil, I don't need it ruining another franchise.

firex

ethelred said:
Well, my number one hope here would be that this is, finally, Shin Megami Tensei 4, though I'm kind of skeptical that Atlus would do a kind of teaser site lead-in like this for that... it's much too major a reveal. Failing that, I wouldn't mind a new SMT: DS game that uses EO's first-person dungeon engine and Devil Survivor's demon sprites and fusion system.

I really don't want a new Persona game, but thankfully it doesn't seem like this fits with that series, either (and just like SMT4, I doubt Atlus would announce P5 like this).
The more I think about it, the more I think this is a new SMT spinoff. Probably some other portable series on DS or maybe PSP.

Tamanon

Banned
robut said:
Wouldn't be surprised if they announce a game that's co-op in nature. That seems where all rgps are going these days.

Yeah, Atlus doesn't really do co-op, especially in SMT games. Usually a byproduct of killing almost all the other humans.

ninj4junpei said:
You shut your mouth. >:| Co-op already ruined Resdient Evil, I don't need it ruining another franchise.

If it's co-op then it'll just be another spinoff. It's not like it'd be the first time they've made a spinoff that's inspired by another series. The Devil Children series was inspired by Pokemon.

Do all of the Japanese releases in the series have the Shin Megami Tensei name like their western counterparts? If that's the case I don't expect this to be Shin Megami Tensei 4, even though it's about damned time it came out.

jvalioli

jaundicejuice said:
Do all of the Japanese releases in the series have the Shin Megami Tensei name like their western counterparts? If that's the case I don't expect this to be Shin Megami Tensei 4, even though it's about damned time it came out.
No. The Personas don't have Shin Megami Tensei in the names in Japan.

jaundicejuice said:
Do all of the Japanese releases in the series have the Shin Megami Tensei name like their western counterparts?

No, they don't. That's something that Atlus has done to help sell the games in North America.

Surgeon Isa

Neo Member
After seeing that PSP God Eater and it's similarities to Digital Devil Saga in nature, I kind of want to see something more in line with that.

Either way, this beats an announcement of an announcement :D

IF I'm not mistaken, only the games in the mainline series have been titles "Shin Megami Tensei." A few spin-offs retained the "Megami" though. In the US. all of them had the former.

EDIT: Too slow..

Shadow780 said:
But does it need to be an exclusive?

Ok 360 owners. I know you're itching for some SMT. I'm joking, at your expense. It's not my fault Atlus loves Sony and Nintendo like 1000x more than Microsoft.

Cool those panties.

Shadow780

KibblesBits said:
Ok 360 owners. I know you're itching for some SMT. I'm joking, at your expense. It's not my fault Atlus loves Sony and Nintendo like 1000x more than Microsoft.

Cool those panties.

:lol :lol

Top Bottom