• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus USA kills rumors | no PC & Switch versions of Persona 5 & Yakuza 0

Seriously now? You've got to be trolling.

A real rumor is one backed up by fact and actual leaks with basis in reality. Persona 5, Yakuza 0, and Nioh have absolutely zero such information about potential other versions. Persona 5 is even already out in Japan with just PS3 and PS4 versions.

Facts like labels on boxart ?

Hektor

Seriously now? You've got to be trolling.

A real rumor is one backed up by fact and actual leaks with basis in reality. Persona 5, Yakuza 0, and Nioh have absolutely zero such information about potential other versions as well as developers with ZERO history of PC development. Persona 5 is even already out in Japan with just PS3 and PS4 versions.

A rumor by definition has no facts. If its backed by facts it ceases being a rumor.

A rumor by definition has no facts. If its backed by facts it ceases being a rumor.

Okay not known facts c'mon you know what I mean, credible info for example, Laura's supposed leaks have trusted insider sources. There aren't even any trusted sources even vaguely hinting at other versions for these three games.

Edit: sorry for double post

kewlmyc

What a clusterfuck of a thread. Not sure of why this is such a big shock to anyone given past Atlus games. If there ever is a port, we won't be until they decide to do an enhanced re-release.

Labels that have been proven wrong and mislabeled in the past?

Depends. On boxarts, it remains to be seen. If you're talking about that video, right. Then again, I'm not stating something is happening. But you're claiming it came out of nowhere. I'm saying it didn't and there's a reason why these titles, Yakuza 0 in particular, are being discussed.

TheFlow

Banned
Then why are you still here? Most of your previous posts served to attempt to shut down the actual discussion of the state of PC ports, or why someone would want a Switch port.

The thread is what it is because of those types of contributions to it. Most of the really nice posts about sales and benefits of porting to a given platform were either ignored or mocked.

Edit: Here's a great post that was largely ignored, so let's reboot the conversation:
Same reason you are still here. We both own a gaming pc and PS4 yet people fighting over porting draws us here.

Atlus and Sega don't follow reason. You and other westerners are applying logic to Japanese companies that just don't give a fuck.

Again
This is Altus/Sega we are talking about. They can't even put vanquish on the pc yet yah are going ham over Yakuza.

Depends. On boxarts, it remains to be seen. If you're talking about that video, right. Then again, I'm not stating something is happening. But you're claiming it came out of nowhere. I'm saying it didn't and there's a reason why these titles, Yakuza 0 in particular, are being discussed.

I didn't say you in particular have said something is or likely is happening nor do I have any desire to go back through this thread for it, but it has happened a number of times.

Is there any other third party publisher from Japan left besides Atlus who have not released an internally developed game on Steam? With Gust now joining the bandwagon it really is just Atlus left.

I get being annoyed that there are people not willing to support the original release, but this game is not a Sony funded title, or a game that specifically owes it existence to Sony, has no actual co marketing or co partnership deals with Sony, and really has any real excuse for only being PS3/PS4 outside of Atlus Japan's particular brand of conservatism in regards to how they do business in particular.
Again, I don't think this is strictly true. P5 was specifically picked for that bizarre ad that Sony Japan ran for the PS4 pricedrop. It'll be interesting to see if the USA branch picks up any of the marketing slack. Doubt it, but certainly within the realm of the possible.
So again, as much as it may trigger you(and TBH it triggers me a bit too, dont think i dont understand) to hear dumb posts like "I only hold onto my PS4 cause so it collects dust, refuse to support PS4 titles cause they are currently Playstation only" or "Atlus is stupid for not investing in the specific gaming platform i like and therefore they are dumb", its not a riduclous viewpoint for people to be annoyed at Atlus living in the 1990s on this front.
The latter quote is a valid viewpoint, the former is ridiculous and stupid.

Nyoro SF

Is there any other publisher from Japan left besides Atlus who have not released an internally developed game on Steam?

I am struggling to think of one, but I think all significant Japanese publishers are on board except for Atlus.

It's no wonder they're the target of platform warrior ire when you have unusual companies like Idea Factory and tiny companies like ASW dropping loads of their games on Steam like it's going out of style and Atlus is just sitting there lol.

TheFlow

Banned
I've been a long term fan of both. Like since the 90's. None of this is new to me. I posted about all this earlier.

They have these moments with Binary Domain and Valkyria Chronicles, but don't follow up. It's hard to explain, and it's interesting to look into what they're likely gaining with those games and still ignoring.

And then when stuff comes out years after the fact with Sega it's almost always fascinating. There was a thread about Bernie Stolar being a complete shitlord with the Saturn over some internal drama just a couple months ago. Nutty stuff.
Yea the releases are random. I bought Valkyria chronicles literally on PS3, PS4, and PC because I am stupid enough to believe that if I support them we will get the rest on platforms other than a psp but nah fam. That is why I stop applying logic to Sega. They are old in their ways but that is life

I actually just about everything sega on steam. 7flow or TheFlow should be my steam name if anyone wants to look me up.

Again, I don't think this is strictly true. P5 was specifically picked for that bizarre ad that Sony Japan ran for the PS4 pricedrop. It'll be interesting to see if the USA branch picks up any of the marketing slack. Doubt it, but certainly within the realm of the possible.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see, also given the talk around the time of that old TGS that Sony helped push for the PS4 version to happen.

That's heresy, us PC kin have purchased 900 thousand copies of Valkyria Chronicles for Sega. The least they need to do is port the new Personas to PC for our humble esteem.

Agreed. Honestly, they should be porting VC2 and 3, the new spin off and Persona 5 to our anxiously awaiting rigs. Probably Persona 4 Golden as well. I mean port that stuff and we will buy it in droves as VC proved. I have all three copies of the game. Honestly I've paid my dues give me the rest of it you bastards.

Torokil

Atlus has always been weird with their platform choices. SMT has been Nintendo exclusive for a decade, Persona 4 for the PS2 in 2008, and they made a fucking Virtual Boy game.

I mean Catherine came to the Xbox 360 which was the test run for Persona 5 but P5 didn't come to Xbox 360 or the Xbone. Also P4 Arena came to the 360 as well. And then there's SMT: Nine: An OG Xbox Japanese exclusive.

Agreed. Honestly, they should be porting VC2 and 3, the new spin off and Persona 5 to our anxiously awaiting rigs. Probably Persona 4 Golden as well. I mean port that stuff and we will buy it in droves as VC proved. I have all three copies of the game. Honestly I've paid my dues give me the rest of it you bastards.

Even though Sega have bought out Atlus, they are still separate entities. Atlus published Persona 5 in Japan, so the decision of a port lies with them.

Nozomi

Banned
That's heresy, us PC kin have purchased 900 thousand copies of Valkyria Chronicles for Sega. The least they need to do is port the new Personas to PC for our humble esteem.

9pjc.jpg

Well its not like that he didnt try but if you have japanese CEO's who knows what's best regardless if true or not or give zero fucks about your input you are fucked.

TheFlow

Banned
What's especially weird is how they made it a point that more ports are coming, that VC especially went well beyond expectations. And it's been like two years, now? We got a Sonic game that appears to be doing just OK and I'm not sure anybody asked for?
I might just be in a self-made bubble walled off from Sonic fans, pardon me.

This is why people are on high alert with some of this stuff, looking at labels in promo shots and getting rumors started.

But yeah, like you say, it's really just more of the same erratic behavior Sega has always engaged in. Phantasy Star Online 2: Definitely eventually, please look forward to it!
Pretty much. I am now along the lines of " I believe it when I see it"

But it is good to talk to a rational poster. I think I will take your advice and leave this thread. Not much for me to add.

As am I. But how are they rumored? Who is spreading the rumors. If Sony and Atlus Japan came out and said sorry for the bad labels but the games are for PS4 only. Would you believe that?

Are you saying in a decade if they are not on anything else but a Sony console you will just play them on that console? Will you support them now if you have a PS4? Or will you wait for the next rumor to keep you from playing great games.

Tomorrow is not promised. Enjoy them now.

Heh what a funny thing to say. We're talking about playing a videogame here. Persona 5 will still be there years later. Do my playing habits have to seriously take into consideration my unexpected death? I take it some snatch up the marshmallow the instant it's offered but patience is a healthy thing. I'll wait for a possible switch "Golden" version for a couple years as I've mentioned. Worst case is I eventually buy the original release when I've waited enough. This way of course comes with the benefit with reduced price of the console and game.

MUnited83

For you.
this, dont understand how can you call yourself "master nonsense " but need to rely on console games...

the only people in this forum using such terms are, ironically, console fanboys, yelling at some sort of imaginary people that are not present in the thread.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The latter quote is a valid viewpoint, the former is ridiculous and stupid.

I don't think so. If you want to make the argument they would have greater success or find more users on the platform you like, that's one thing its explaining pros to the viewpoint. But being biased because it just so happens to be your preferred platform irrespective of any cons against said platform is dumb.

Like i see people talking about Vita and Switch despite Vita being on its way out and Switch not even being a proven properly yet. That doesn't make any kind of sense to me.

Atlus has always been weird with their platform choices. SMT has been Nintendo exclusive for a decade, Persona 4 for the PS2 in 2008, and they made a fucking Virtual Boy game.

I mean Catherine came to the Xbox 360 which was the test run for Persona 5 but P5 didn't come to Xbox 360 or the Xbone. Also P4 Arena came to the 360 as well. And then there's SMT: Nine: An OG Xbox Japanese exclusive.

This. I thought it was kind of expected by now.

And Switch doesn't even "exist" yet, nor did it exist for most of P5's development.

What's especially weird is how they made it a point that more ports are coming, that VC especially went well beyond expectations. And it's been like two years, now? We got a Sonic game that appears to be doing just OK and I'm not sure anybody asked for?
I might just be in a self-made bubble walled off from Sonic fans, pardon me.

Agreed, it's weird but like Flow said, they are unpredictable and kind of random.

Also, while Sega may have said that, they treat Atlus as a separate entity, they are allowing them to run themselves and decide for themselves.

Is this the one you're talking about?

I don't think so. If you want to make the argument they would have greater success or find more users on the platform you like, that's one thing its explaining pros to the viewpoint. But being biased because it just so happens to be your preferred platform irrespective of any cons against said platform is dumb.

Like i see people talking about Vita and Switch despite Vita being on its way out and Switch not even being a proven properly yet. That doesn't make any kind of sense to me.
What you just said does little to explain how "I only hold onto my PS4 cause so it collects dust, refuse to support PS4 titles cause they are currently Playstation only" is a valid viewpoint.

If you have a console that's collecting dust, sell it. If there are games you're interested in playing, play them. If you're refusing to play games on the system that's reportedly collecting dust because they're [insert system] only, you're a fool that has lost the right to complain about your unused system. Especially when we're dealing with currently niche games like Yakuza, the way to help them grow isn't to whine and refuse to buy the game. You'd be far better off helping the franchise grow by buying some copies, throwing them around to friends to garner more interest and also complain about a lack of ports.
Is this the one you're talking about?
Not clicking the link because the stupid song will get stuck in my head, but if that's a link to the video with a woman dressed up as Ichiyo Higuchi singing about Persona 5, then yes.

the only people in this forum using such terms are, ironically, console fanboys, yelling at some sort of imaginary people that are not present in the thread.

This narrative needs to stop as well. Let's not use revisionist history and pretend that there are members of PC-GAF who purport the PC Master race mentality, even if not explicitly using the word itself. There are just as many PC fanboys on these boards as there are Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft fanboys and all act as bad as each other.

I even saw a popular PC-gaffer talk about his disdain for consoles in the controversial opinions thread. A nonsense assertion considering how much of the industry those same devices are propping up right now. But I digress, this thread is something else.

crinale

I also think as for mainline Persona Sony (it may be Sony as the whole, not SIE alone) may have some exclusive contact between Sega, even it isn't openly revealed..

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Inuhanyou

What you just said does little to explain how "I only hold onto my PS4 cause so it collects dust, refuse to support PS4 titles cause they are currently Playstation only" is a valid viewpoint.

I never said it was a valid viewpoint?? Where did i say that?

I bet if we have an official system wars thread, it'll reach 10k in less than a day.
Try two hours. Real life preview of what such a thread would look like:
WLCJ72S.gif

I'm not kidding. Just thinking about the video got some snippets of the song stuck in my head. Biggest earworm of any recent video ad for me.
I never said it was a valid viewpoint?? Where did i say that?
Reread your post where you wrote that sentence. You wrote that sentence and then followed up about it not being a "ridiculous viewpoint for people to be annoyed at Atlus living in the 1990s," insinuating that such a view was valid.

Inuhanyou

Reread your post where you wrote that sentence. You wrote that sentence and then followed up about it not being a "ridiculous viewpoint for people to be annoyed at Atlus living in the 1990s," insinuating that such a view was valid.

I said it was not a ridiculous viewpoint for people to be annoyed at Atlus's practices in regards to platform exclusivity. The two examples i posted before that were examples of dumb statements that should not derail the overall discussion or legitimate opinions of those who feel Atlus games should go to other platforms.

cress2000

Thinly veiled system wars.

I thought it was about companies not providing more options that they could easily provide to those who want them, and likely make a hell of lot more money from if they tried to. At least, that's the angle I've been trying to take. Pardon me.

dan2026

When will people understand that Atlus (and Sega to a lesser extent) don't ascribe to any kind of logic!
They just don't!

cress2000

When will people understand that Atlus (and Sega to a lesser extent) don't ascribe to any kind of logic!
They just don't!

I do and have understood that. It's precisely why I refuse to shut up. I'm not really sure I understand the purpose of this post.

Stupid to you. A developer isn't obligated to support multiple platforms and could be fine with sales on only one. Especially games like Yakuza and Persona where the audience is mostly found on one platform anyway. Then there's porting cost and no guarantee sales would be worth the port.

When a lesser Tales game sells 300k on PC and Danganronpa and its sequel can sell nearly 100k each (ie about what a localized Yakuza game moves), what is your basis for thinking that the majority of the audience is being served just on PS4?

Hmm?

Valkyria Chronicles PC + Valkyria Chronicles PS4 = Valkyria Revolution Xbox One seems like perfectly sensible logic to me.
Not if you expect any sales ;-). If Final Fantasy out of all JRPGs barely sells on the XboxO, a JRPGish and far less known Strategy game doesn't stand much of a chance. There is a reason why everyone laughs about Sega releasing Azure Revolution on XBone rather than PC.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
No problem Atlus, will buy both on PS4 (and P5 on PS3 too). Yakuza 0 is already 1080p/60 but I hope they make Persona 5 60 FPS or unlocked on Pro.

Also, no more delays on for Persona please ;_;

elyetis

Stupid to you.
Of course stupid to me, I won't end every sentence with "IHMO" for the sake of people sensibilities.
A developer isn't obligated to support multiple platforms and could be fine with sales on only one. Especially games like Yakuza and Persona where the audience is mostly found on one platform anyway.
Didn't speak about any obligation, people are just too eager to use a word 'entitled' as soon as they hear someone complain about something. I sure doubt Yakuza 0 or Persona 5 would sell more on PC or Switch or Xbox than it will on the ps4, but that really doesn't matter, after all it can only increase the audience, what matter is if it would be profitable and if there is any downside* to it.
Then there's porting cost and no guarantee sales would be worth the port.
Which is why I said I understood that position for a small developer/studio. *Atlus could easily take that 'risk' once to check if that statement is true, which based on 'recent' trend ( I doubt we need the usual list of Dark souls, Valkyria, etc.. ) isn't really much of a risk for games like those two.

Top Bottom