• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atmospheric concentration of CO2 reaches 410 PPM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izayoi

Banned
Then do all the efforts that the rest of the world is making to fight against it mean nothing because of "realism"?

Should they give up all their efforts to move to renewables and develop carbon capture technology since they're apparently destined to fail by your logic?
Of course not. Just because they are destined to fail (if we are defining fail by the inability to reverse climate change) does not mean that they will not provide real, tangible harm reduction.

I think the efforts are noble and should continue in earnest. I just don't like conflating realism with defeatism.

Funny how they are going to solve climate change issues with super advanced tech. As if joe blow could just sit on his ass and reap the benefits. News flash, when the time comes they are going to tell you to foad.

And here we go again, another thread of a bunch of people yelling "We're fucked, no hope left, trump and the gop are bad, we had a good run, everything is for nothing", etc.

Just defeatism at its finest, ignoring literally every other efforts that the rest of the world is taking to fight this stuff and saying that's all invalid by default because of reasons.

There's defeatism and then there's knowing when you're fucked. You sound dillusional.

Calabi

Long-term, we don't even know what this means. Anyone who thinks this isn't the biggest problem facing humanity has their head up their ass.

Yeah there's not like a guarantee of survival, we're stepping into the unknown with this, there's lots of disastrous, things that can happen. Its going to effect the oxygen producing plankton for example, just how badly is the question(how hot do we want it to get). There's been several extinction events on our planet, this could be another one where all the organisms above a certain size die.

Yep that's the point. You want things yet aren't willing to accept that you'll have to give things up, welcome to Western society, and exactly the reasons why it's futile to try and tell people to change'.
Until something catastrophic happens people will continue to do what they want.
No, it is just that the argument of stop having kids is a stupid one. If you are living in Western society, chances are your country is below replacement rates, so society is shrinking anyway outside of immigration.

This stuff will not be solved by having a few million, or even tens or hundreds of million less kids in Western countries. It will be by improving economies of developing countries and they and us using newer technologies that do not output the same amount of CO2 and other crap.

Will society have to change? Yes. Are we too late already? Might be. But you going around telling people to stop having a kid is like the lowest priority in fixing this whole issue.

FoxSpirit

Just for perspective:
d47249f07066a427718f6p0o73.png
The first writings on the wall, some 60 years ago.

I am sorry for the coming generation, it seems that by our best scientists predictions, you will have a big burden to cope with. I don't trust all that extinction crap because we are 6 billions and we can cope with really harsh conditions, like searing heat and really low O2 levels but I can't promise it won't be seriously hard. But build yourself good social relationships, good friends, maybe a decent family of your own and things will not even feel half as dire as it does for the lonesome.

You are strong and you will make it, don't let this crush your spirits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom