• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atomic Heart reached 5+ million players in 3 weeks

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I will not finish Atomic Heart. But what this game shows me is that this developer is on the right track. There’s some good bones underneath AH. It just falls victim to wanting be an open world game. I hope in their next game, it’s a smaller/tighter experience. And obviously with better script writers.

That figure doesn't mean much. Im in it even though I only played it for a little bit. When I look at achievements for many different games that are on gamepass, I realised that many people try the game out but don't even get past the prologue. It explains the very low percentage on early game achievements. That's what makes player numbers totally meaningless.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I will not finish Atomic Heart. But what this game shows me is that this developer is on the right track. There’s some good bones underneath AH. It just falls victim to wanting be an open world game. I hope in their next game, it’s a smaller/tighter experience. And obviously with better script writers.
If anything, this game should show you that the dev is carried by art direction.... which is already one and done. no more ussr style games.
Gameplay and systems wise - they did whatever came to mind. Art first - make a game around it later

What is it with sales numbers on GAF and gaming in general? If only there were as many posts about the game(s) itself.

I've started Atomic Heart and really enjoyed what I've played so far, it's a bit clunky here and there but overall hell of an entry for a first game. Looking forward to getting to the end of the story and action along the way. I've mostly avoided spoilers as I've been late to finish.

So far 8/10 with some wiggle room to see how the other 2/3 of the game pans out for me. It sure is a pretty game but it's more the off kilter aspect I enjoy. Feels like a Wolfenstein of old game, whacky characters and weapons/sandbox.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed this game. It was clearly not the most polished product ever, but it had a fantastic theme and a good gameplay loop. Just picking shit up was fun. It was oddly satisfying to haul ass as fast as possible across the open world with an army of enemies on my tail to get to my next objective, so I didnt much mind that part. I like jank like that. I hope they dont sanitize the sequel too much.

We need more Bioshock-esque single player FPSs.

Denton

Good news, it is a great game. Fun gameplay with meaty melee and gunplay, brilliant artstyle, interesting story (greatly helped by playing in native russian VO, fuck the american dudebro VO), 100% flawless optimization.

So much better than that abominable trash Forspoken.

ironmang

What is it with sales numbers on GAF and gaming in general? If only there were as many posts about the game(s) itself.

I've started Atomic Heart and really enjoyed what I've played so far, it's a bit clunky here and there but overall hell of an entry for a first game. Looking forward to getting to the end of the story and action along the way. I've mostly avoided spoilers as I've been late to finish.

So far 8/10 with some wiggle room to see how the other 2/3 of the game pans out for me. It sure is a pretty game but it's more the off kilter aspect I enjoy. Feels like a Wolfenstein of old game, whacky characters and weapons/sandbox.
It's just anti-GP people being upset over something that doesn't impact them. They want to crap on a positive story of a dev reaching milestones on their first game (while dealing with "Russian ties" nonsense) simply because it's offered on a rival sub service.

They better find a way to cope as sales is becoming less important as sub services and f2p continue to become more standard.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It's just anti-GP people being upset over something that doesn't impact them. They want to crap on a positive story of a dev reaching milestones on their first game (while dealing with "Russian ties" nonsense) simply because it's offered on a rival sub service.
5 million people tried your new game, new IP from Russia = worthless.

8.5 million try The Last of Us TV show = do you guys think this cultural impact surpasses Mario?

Good news, it is a great game. Fun gameplay with meaty melee and gunplay, brilliant artstyle, interesting story (greatly helped by playing in native russian VO, fuck the american dudebro VO), 100% flawless optimization.

So much better than that abominable trash Forspoken.
I am now upset that I didnt play with native VO.

StereoVsn

one-man-s-trash-is-another-man-s-treasure.png

Thank you NeoGAF.
yDOOy9r.gif

ahtlas7

How did this thread get turned into a AH vs FS brawl?
-Anyway-
I guess this is good for the developers? Seems GP is the real winner in that number.

Mr.Phoenix

That will be called the review thread.

This is a sales thread.

Or more specifically, a reach thread.

How did this thread get turned into a AH vs FS brawl?
-Anyway-
I guess this is good for the developers? Seems GP is the real winner in that number.
Is it though? GP has about 25M subscribers. And the game was also released on PS5.

But let's forget about the PS5, there are 25M people that could technically have downloaded this game for `free`. But didn't?

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

This is a sales thread.

Is it though? GP has about 25M subscribers. And the game was also released on PS5.

But let's forget about the PS5, there are 25M people that could technically have downloaded this game for `free`. But didn't?

Maybe it wouldn't have had even a million players if it was purchase only. That's the way to look at it.

Potentially they got paid more than that, so they are win, win?

So they could have sold 1 million, made less money, less players and slipped into obscurity.

With game pass they got more money, more players talking about it, making threads on forums, posting on social media, streaming the game, more viewers, more marketing, boosting sales on ps5 and PC to what they would have....then...it also allowed them more of a tail on marketing becuase their teams can talk more about milestones hit in player count...refreshing the game in people's minds...more people notice its on game pass....decide to fire it up becuase they hadn't tried it....but 5 million players must mean its worth checking out, right?...more players....more posts....more streams...more sales....rinse and repeat...

Pretty cool, right?

Last edited:

They better find a way to cope as sales is becoming less important as sub services and f2p continue to become more standard.
To be fair, I would be upset too if I had to pay 70 dollars for a game while game pass users get it for “free”.

LastBattle

Bloody cracker of a game! I think I’m quite close to end and have enjoyed mostly every moment, aside from a few open world frustrations, which wasn’t really that bad once you know what you’re doing and where you’re going. also Top tier soundtrack and possibly the best looking game I’ve seen this gen. Got a few chuckles out of me too. Particularly the conversations with the dead laying about.

LordOfChaos

I'm playing it in small chunks. Visually, it's quite impressive and pretty. It looks like the modern gen Bioshock we wanted. Below that surface, the PC is certainly no Booker Dewitt, but I suppose I shouldn't hold it to that since it's just a different game. The gameplay is ok but it seems like most of the enemies are the same type of robot so far? And there are some visual bugs like objects moving at a way lower framerate than the game and a few other odd things.

I hope this gets a few big patches while I'm still playing.

Mr.Phoenix

Maybe it wouldn't have had even a million players if it was purchase only. That's the way to look at it.

Potentially they got paid more than that, so they are win, win?

So they could have sold 1 million, made less money, less players and slipped into obscurity.

With game pass they got more money, more players talking about it, making threads on forums, posting on social media, streaming the game, more viewers, more marketing, boosting sales on ps5 and PC to what they would have....then...it also allowed them more of a tail on marketing becuase their teams can talk more about milestones hit in player count...refreshing the game in people's minds...more people notice its on game pass....decide to fire it up becuase they hadn't tried it....but 5 million players must mean its worth checking out, right?...more players....more posts....more streams...more sales....rinse and repeat...

Pretty cool, right?
I don't know where you are getting your information from. But I would like to see it.

If they sold 1M copies of the game at $70, they would have made $70M in revenue. Or $40M`ish for themselves after all deductions. So what you are saying, is that MS paid them over $40M to have the game on gamepass, when its developer payout average is around $830k/game. But they paid-out what? $40M? $80M for this one game? Nope, not buying that.

And as to everything else you said, if the sales were good, they would be taking and announcing sales now...to `reach`.

Spyxos

Gold Member

This is a sales thread.

Yes there are 25 million but not every game appeals to everyone. For 3 weeks, the numbers are really not bad.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Forspoken is million times better. I've finished it.
I couldn't handle 5 hours of atomic crap. As I emerged from the underground, the game got even worse.
People say forspoken writting is cringe?! Atomic heart is waaaaaay worse and there is 100x more of it. They never fucking shut up with stupid crap.
And forspoken offers much better, much less annoying open world combat with very good movement.
Shit take.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I don't know where you are getting your information from. But I would like to see it.

If they sold 1M copies of the game at $70, they would have made $70M in revenue. Or $40M`ish for themselves after all deductions. So what you are saying, is that MS paid them over $40M to have the game on gamepass, when its developer payout average is around $830k/game. But they paid-out what? $40M? $80M for this one game? Nope, not buying that.

And as to everything else you said, if the sales were good, they would be taking and announcing sales now...to `reach`.

I don't think you've completely grasped what I was saying..... It's all good man.

Last edited:

ahtlas7

That does raise a good point. What does GP expect engagement percentage will be with games like AH? I assume 30-40% of users in first 30 days.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Glad to hear this. I'm one of the 5M and I absolutely loved this game, probably my favorite so far this year.

Sacred

Forspoken is million times better. I've finished it.
I couldn't handle 5 hours of atomic crap. As I emerged from the underground, the game got even worse.
People say forspoken writting is cringe?! Atomic heart is waaaaaay worse and there is 100x more of it. They never fucking shut up with stupid crap.
And forspoken offers much better, much less annoying open world combat with very good movement.
bait.gif

TexMex

You realize it's on PS5 and PC as well and actually did quite well on steam.

Yes I do, would you like to wager where you think the vast, vast majority of people in that five million played this or just continue to feign ignorance?

Do you think this is framed as “reached over five million players” instead of “units sold” for any reason?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
If is was a developer that got paid to put my work on game pass, I’d be pretty happy knowing 5 million users at least tried my game.

Exactly. They truth is they wouldn't have reached that big of an audience just by selling the game.

And they got paid to put it on Game Pass. If anything they bolstered the number of people that will be interested in not only this, but their next game as well.

K2D

Banned
Both Atomic Heart and Forspoken both get mediocre user feedback. These are not going into my 3-digit backlog, and that is all that matters.

ironmang

5 million is all?

For a service with 6 times that, that's a very shitty number.
Almost like they might be playing any one of hundreds of other games on the platform. Or some game not on the platform. Or maybe they just don't like shooters or the style. Or just out having a life.

But sure, if it's not 100% it bombed.

5 million is all?

For a service with 6 times that, that's a very shitty number.

By your definition God of War Ragnarok is even shittier, by more than double. *11 Million sales so far on PS4 (117M) + PS5 (30M).

And you think Breath of the Wild is also shitty. **30 Million sales Switch (120M) + WiiU (15M).

:messenger_tears_of_joy: Thanks for the laugh.

Flabagast

Deathloop reached the same amount of time players one year and a half after launch, by being on both PS+ Extra & Gamepass

I would say it’s not bad at all for Mundfish

Top Bottom