• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atomic Heart | Review Thread

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Going to give it a try. Will be the first time I put on my Series X in like a year.

Looks unique and pretty enough to warrant a shot

Reactions: Isa

skit_data

Can’t say I’m surprised that the reviews are on the ”okay”-ish side, it looked very cool but I never got the sense that it was doing anything groundbreaking outside of its aesthethics.

Topher

Gold Member
Thread updated with metacritic reviews

Opencritic score is 74 now (60% recommended) if you want to update the link text:

K43RuwG.png

Last edited:

XXL

I'm just gonna wait for it to be updated and to see if they release the PSVR 2 version they have mentioned a few times

I outline it a little in this thread, but the game's content is also just flat-out misogynistic at times. There are a number of jokes where SA is the punchline, not to mention a lot of weird dialogue regarding the narrative's female characters. I'm frankly slightly alarmed these made it into the finished game without a publisher intervention and it's a bit shameful how many reviews seem to ignore it.

Jesus. Between this and the fridge thing...yea hope this game bombs.

Gross shit - this has turned into a hard pass.

wait people looked at those faceless titty robots and weren't expecting this game to have the sensibilities of a 14 year old?

Yeah between the NORA thing, the game's obsession with vulvas depiction (the doors), the ass-shots of the twin robots at every occasion, the lack of overall women in the cast, ... we've crossed the edgy line here and entered the misogynistic territory.

It also sucks how misogynistic this game is. The upgrade machine has already been mentioned. Just keep in mind it's a recurring joke that gets progressively worse. It goes from 'yikes' to just truly awful. The game also has a male gaze problem with some of the sexy robots, because of course it does.

Genuinely sad and also sadly unsurprising that so many reviewers are just ignoring misogynism in this game and giving it high scores regardless.

Thank you for calling this out as a reviewer, genuinely.

If we want a better and more inclusive industry this shit needs to be called out, not ignored or handwaved because of pretty graphics.

Thanks for the write up and couldn't agree more. Really disappointing seeing this along with many reviewers giving it a pass.

A mid game with misogyny is an easy skip even with game pass.
Am so over media with het cis white dudes winking at each other.

why is this game so horny
i dont even think gamers are this horny
and gamers are very horny

Dang. Was looking forward to the vibe-y atmosphere but if the constant Japanese up-skirt poses/shots bug me to death, this might break my misogyny meter. Had it downloaded for my day off, but maybe back to trying to 1000 HiFi Rush instead. Talk about absolute polar opposites in tone.

Here we go....lol
Ree already up at arms.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
Oh for fuck sake game is just mediocre
And of course clowns figure out some way to get offended by it.

Sex slaves robots..
robots are slaves 🤣

I need to grab a beer from my cooling slave.

I guess the 'AI has feeling movement' came earlier.

intbal

High on Life scored like a 69%. I usually keep an eye on anything above a 39, personally.
High on Life was sent out for critic reviews prior to launch.
That version had a pretty terrible camera bug that made it appear to be constantly stuttering. That was the version that most of the critics reviewed.
It was patched before it was released on Gamepass. But how many critics updated their reviews? They certainly should have, since they played a version that nobody else played.
John covered all this on twitter and in a DF Direct episode. He cancelled his High on Life video when the pre-release patch came out. He should have done an updated video.
How well would the game have been received if the reviews were done on patched code? Judging by user reaction, I'd say it's a decent 7.5-8.5/10 game for most people.

XXL

They've mentioned that? No way in hell I'm I playing it then until then.
It was originally supposed to come to PSVR, that plan was canceled. Since then, they have mentioned how they are still interested in a VR version in the future.

Philfrag

Banned
I saw footage of gameplay this morning. I'm so glad it seems to make good on a lot of its promises. I was surprised at how much imagination poured from every set piece and level design. Even though it takes a lot from Bioshock and other games like it, it definitely seems to add something fresh.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
"It also sucks how misogynistic this game is. The upgrade machine has already been mentioned. Just keep in mind it's a recurring joke that gets progressively worse. It goes from 'yikes' to just truly awful. The game also has a male gaze problem with some of the sexy robots, because of course it does."

I'll stop at this one but another choice quote from the nuthouse.

Releasing on the 1 year anniversary of the invasion of Ukraine is suspicious given all the allegations of Russian connections and funding.

RafterXL

The meltdown on ree about the game not being the usual pussified politically correct trash is so sweet.
I haven't looked over there but I'm about 30 minutes into the game and, yeah, they're going to shit themselves. It's got the proud Russia thing going on and they metion how great China is. It's the of propaganda shit that won't bother your average person, because we understand it's a futuristic fantasy video game, but will make them see red. And the two hot robot chicks in the intro will have them seething. The game seems 100% designed to piss off the ResetEra crowd.

Anyway, even from the reveal video I knew the English dialogue would be ass, and it is, but unfortunately you can't change the voice language, just the UI and subtitles. It sucks I think the game would be much better in Russian.

I haven't really gotten to any gameplay but it's really pretty and runs like butter onthe XSX so far. We'll see how it holds up.

GymWolf

I haven't looked over there but I'm about 30 minutes into the game and, yeah, they're going to shit themselves. It's got the proud Russia thing going on and they metion how great China is. It's the of propaganda shit that won't bother your average person, because we understand it's a futuristic fantasy video game, but will make them see red. And the two hot robot chicks in the intro will have them seething. The game seems 100% designed to piss off the ResetEra crowd.

Anyway, even from the reveal video I knew the English dialogue would be ass, and it is, but unfortunately you can't change the voice language, just the UI and subtitles. It sucks I think the game would be much better in Russian.

I haven't really gotten to any gameplay but it's really pretty and runs like butter onthe XSX so far. We'll see how it holds up.
Wait, you can't use audio and subs of 2 different languages?

GymWolf

"It also sucks how misogynistic this game is. The upgrade machine has already been mentioned. Just keep in mind it's a recurring joke that gets progressively worse. It goes from 'yikes' to just truly awful. The game also has a male gaze problem with some of the sexy robots, because of course it does."

I'll stop at this one but another choice quote from the nuthouse.
You can bet they would be ok if the protagonist was gay and had male gaze towards other men...

Last edited:
Top Bottom