• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atomic Heart | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
EdH3ODY.jpg

Game Information​

Game Title: Atomic Heart
Platforms:
  • PC (Feb 21, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Feb 21, 2023)
  • PlayStation 5 (Feb 21, 2023)
  • Xbox One (Feb 21, 2023)
  • PlayStation 4 (Feb 21, 2023)
Trailers:
Developer: Mundfish

Publishers: Focus Entertainment, 4Divinity

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic: 74/100 - 60% Recommended - 62 Reviews

PVMq3SM.jpg

MetaCritic - 73/100 - Xbox Series X - 13 Reviews
aHNrsKC.jpg

MetaCritic - 75/100 - PlayStation 5 - 25 Reviews
jdEaCVb.jpg

MetaCritic - 78/100 - PC - 15 Reviews
HAMCjUf.jpg

Critic Reviews:​

AltChar - Asmir Kovacevic - 68 / 100
Atomic Heart may be summarised in a single statement as a game with amazing ideas but lousy execution. I cannot say that Atomic Heart is a bad game, it's just that I expected a lot more from it, and as a result, I got disappointed.
Cerealkillerz - Nick Erlenhof - German - 8.4 / 10
Atomic Heart looks great and the overall design is amazing. From the extensive environments over some small ideas, every works really well. Also the gameplay elements shines with a lots of variety in combinations that don't need to hide behind the games that inspired them. Some tedious collecting, unbalanced swarms of enemies and the only "ok" story scratch the paint of this well thought out art piece.
Enternity.gr - Giannis Archontidis - Greek - 8 / 10
Atomic Heart is a title that seems to have been made with care, with its shortcomings only focusing on the parkour which is not often required, the character movement and with a bigger problem the English voice acting
MonsterVine - Diego Escala - 4 / 5
Despite the questionably tasteless tone its narrative takes at times, there’s a lot of fun to be had with Atomic Heart.
One More Game - Vincent Ternida - Wait
Atomic Heart is a mixed bag of weird design choices and gameplay mechanics, and while the combat loop is satisfying when everything comes together, there’s also a lot of jank that comes along with it.
Several parts of Atomic Heart feel like they’ve been made to be unnecessarily complicated, adding layers of interaction that do not feel fun. The game does look very pretty, and the world and its inhabitants are interestingly unique, but the payoff at the end is predictable and ultimately disappointing.
Given a chance, Atomic Heart is a frenetic first-person shooter with a great visual style and some set pieces that pack a punch. Yet just like its overwrought themes and its poor attempt at profound existential exploration, they feel ultimately superficial and shaky.
PowerUp! - Leo Stevenson - Unscored
So far, Atomic Heart is a solid spin on the BioShock formula though it does seem to be a little lacking in cohesion. I'm not quite sure whether a more open-world approach really suits this style of gameplay and I'm not quite sold on the combat or the way it's been implemented. That being said, I'm still enjoying it and am looking forward to finishing it, so that's always a good sign.
Stay tuned as we update our review and give Atomic Heart a final score over the next couple of days.
TechRaptor - Samuel Guglielmo - 5 / 10
Atomic Heart has some fun combat and a soundtrack that absolutely slaps. Unfortunately, it's glitchy, has a terrible open world, becomes a slog in the late game, and has the most aggressively awful writing I've ever seen.
We Got This Covered - David Morgan - 4 / 5
Atomic Heart is, most surprisingly, exactly what I expected. Its biggest strengths are the ones that treat the eyes, but great writing and exploration are welcome in an otherwise overstretched experience.
XboxEra - Jesse Norris - 8.4 / 10
Atomic Heart is an excellent game, and it’s an incredible debut title from Mundfish. Clever storytelling, massive set pieces, fun combat, and more make this one easy to recommend. Hell, it’s on Game Pass Day One, so go pre-install it already and enjoy this ridiculous ride.
eXputer - Huzaifah Durrani - 4 / 5
While the narrative leaves a lot to be desired, Atomic Heart is nonetheless a great FPS set in a beautifully realized Soviet setting.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Sounds weird enough to try. Game Pass + DLSS3 support + fiancé away with work for a week is a great combination for giving it a go.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I have a question, is there any day 1 game pass title that got a high critic scores?

Just in 2022

• Norco - 91
  • Chained Echoes - 90
  • Immortality - 88
  • Return to Monkey Island - 87
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge - 87
  • Total War: Warhammer 3 - 86
  • Pentiment - 86
  • Tunic - 85
  • Citizen Sleeper - 85
  • A Plague Tale: Requiem - 84

Last edited:

reksveks

Oh right, Hifi Rush, thats right, thanks.
Is there more games? i would say high is anything above 85.
New AoE 2 console port, we had a bunch of the launch games including FH5, flight sim, norco, immortality, tinykin, Pentiment, plague tale 2.

There was a bunch of stuff around 83/84 that I liked like Citizen Sleeper but generally yes there have been good day one drops

Last edited:

fatmarco

Game runs perfectly on Series X so far but it could be a bad pc port, again. Really hope this game is given a fair shot lol.

It is annoying having reviewers only review games on Pc given how poor some recent ports have been. They should at least have a fallback system given that console versions, outside of cyberpunk, tend to be more polished.

Pc Master Race and their shader compilation issues again though hah.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Wasn't there a shit remedy game that wasn't available anywhere else? Same thing with that Ninja theory game.

No game ever has been made for game pass. Even that shitty remedy game is available on retail for at least 2 platforms.

I don't know which Ninja theory game you're referring to but I can say with some confidence even that is a retail product (unless discontinued).

Last edited:
Gman liked some things and not others, and Karak says it's a buy. I trust those two so I'm all in, will wait for a patch for those stutters and bugs and then dive into the game.
I haven't played it yet, so maybe it sucks. But I just know that the art design is striking and Mick Gordon does the music. If the combat isn't fully busted, it'll be fun enough hopefully. Guess we'll see.

Top Bottom