• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atomic Heart | Review Thread

GymWolf

Only tried the first 30 min and i can already tell this game is top 3 best graphic ever if it maintain the same quality of the intro for the entire game, high ass res textures pretty much everywhere you look (except the human models that are just ok) with some impressive highs like the marble surfaces and the big face statues made of stone outside during the intro, even some unimportant textures like the covers on the couches are super detailed, usually this stuff look low res in 99% of games, also even without rtx, the reflections looks top notch to me, and what an art design, the game really feels like russian bioshock infinite, this may be one of the strongest intro in the past 10 years or so, really impressive stuff from a supposedly AA game made by a new born team, after hogwarts, this could be the year of great first tries.

And it runs like a dream.

Audio design also seems pretty on point.

You SlimySnake SlimySnake if you wanna see some fine graphic this is the one.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I haven't missed RT yet tbh. Game looks fantastic as is. But I am sure they will add it, hopefully well optimized.

My rating of the first 4 hours is 9/10. The creativity, atmosphere, immersiveness, gunplay feel, all is on point.
Yeah, it sucks in a sense, how good it is so far :messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:

But given how much propaganda, I've already heard, I am really worried about how the crowd of "let's cancel Hogwarts" will react, probably will buy this in batches and never shut about it. Seeing that ReeEra is banning people speaking against it, we are in for a ride

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
And it runs like a dream.
Fuck me, shoudln't have tried it earlier, got a bad first impression.

Well, where? I want to read some more positive impressions to affirm my belief that I am not crazy and the game is actually as awesome and I am finding it to be :)
Only played a bit of the intro but that alone gave the impression that a lot of care was put into the game. All those animations, like the icecream or the robot doing juggling some stuff. The little details!

GymWolf

Fuck me, shoudln't have tried it earlier, got a bad first impression.

Only played a bit of the intro but that alone gave the impression that a lot of care was put into the game. All those animations, like the icecream or the robot doing juggling some stuff. The little details!
The game after the day one patch does a lenghty shader compile thing before you can start playing.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The game after the day one patch does a lenghty shader compile thing before you can start playing.
I can confirm, that absolutely didn't happen to me when I was trying it earlier today on GP. I guess they had an old build and updated it just shortly before the actual release.

GymWolf

I can confirm, that absolutely didn't happen to me when I was trying it earlier today on GP. I guess they had an old build and updated it just shortly before the actual release.
Chi prima vuole giocare,
un po in culo la deve pigliare.

george-lucas-its-like-poetry.gif

Last edited:

M1987

No HDR? so is it only showing as having it because I have it enabled in the windows settings? looks like HDR to me

I do agree with the Skillup review about the upgrade robot. It was funny at first, but now that im over 5 hours into this thing and it's said some of that stuff like 20+ times to me its gotten old and corny lol.

Once you really settle into the game this just feels like people who are fans of about 5 games making something. Its pretty much feels like a love letter to prey, dead island/dying light, far cry, bioshock, and doom - sprinkle in a little half life too maybe.

I tend to hate the writing in all of Guerilla Games offerings, yet I think they're absolutely wizards at the tech in their games and the overall gameplay is amazing...I Pretty much feel the same about this company and this game. Fun as hell to play and look at but every time someone/something starts talking I just want it to shut up

Last edited:

Eiknarf

I know Bioshock was amazing for its time. My favorite back then. But it’s a bit clunky by today’s standards, right? I just bought it, played it again, the nostalgia was great, but it felt and played very dated (the combat, hits and melee) and rightfully so because it’s 16 years old - from 2007!!

With that said, does this 2023 Atomic Heart play/feel better? Is the combat at least better 16 years later?

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I know Bioshock was amazing for its time. My favorite back then. But it’s a bit clunky by today’s standards, right? I just bought it, played it again, the nostalgia was great, but it felt and played very dated (the combat, hits and melee) and rightfully so because it’s 16 years old - from 2007!!
Honestly to me it already felt janky back in the day. I think it was the big crosshairs and the spongey enemies.

Last edited:

hollams

Gold Member
Only issue I've found so far is controller related. I'm playing with an Xbox controller and there isn't a controller mapping screen so I'm not sure what each button does. Another issue is when I press RB to engage with a computer screen to read emails, there is a section on the left where it shows the different emails to read but you can't select them with a controller. I have my kb/mouse next to me and I can use that to cursor over them to select them but I can't with the controller. Gamepass version.

edit: NVM it was an issue with my controller mapping software.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
The game looks pretty rad but there's a lot of shady shit surrounding its development and the studio that made it, companies that funded it, etc. Surprised to see that no one here even mentions it.

Brock2621

Cdkeys has it for $44 so thinking about it. Just can’t stand the cringy writing. I passed on Forspoken as well because of the same thing.

Eiknarf

The game looks pretty rad but there's a lot of shady shit surrounding its development and the studio that made it, companies that funded it, etc. Surprised to see that no one here even mentions it.
Well let’s look at something

Let’s do an A/B grade comparison

The Callisto Protocol got a 73 average at Metacritic and an average of 73 at Opencritic with only 48% of critics recommending it

Atomic Heart got a 74 average at Metacritic and an average of 74 at Opencritic with only 57% of critics recommending it.

So they’re pretty equal in badness or goodness (depending on how you look at it)

Meaning, if you think Callisto Protocol is bad, you have to kind of think Atomic Heart is bad. If you think Atomic Heart is great, then you have to kind of think Callisto Protocol is great.

Drizzlehell

Banned

The Callisto Protocol got a 73 average at Metacritic and an average of 73 at Opencritic with only 48% of critics recommending it

Atomic Heart got a 74 average at Metacritic and an average of 74 at Opencritic with only 57% of critics recommending it.

So they’re pretty equal in badness or goodness (depending on how you look at it)

Meaning, if you think Callisto Protocol is bad, you have to kind of think Atomic Heart is bad. If you think Atomic Heart is great, then you have to kind of think Callisto Protocol is great.
I'm talking about the studio being run by some tossers who are all buddy-buddy with the Russian government back in their homeland while, at the same time, blowing smoke up everyone's ass about their stance on Ukraine invasion.

Also, what is this shit about data collection for "conscription purposes"? Yeah, that doesn't sound very reassuring, lol.

And yeah, I get it, most people don't care and just want to shoot some robots. But I'm just saying... look it up.

GHG

Gold Member
Performs tremendously well on PC. Getting 100-120 fps maxed out at native 4k (DLSS/FSR turned off) on a 5800X3D/4090. The game oozes atmosphere and attention to detail in the environments. Karak Karak This game is RIPE for doing one of your walking the walk videos. You could spend a ton of time in that opening area alone, there are so many conversations happening and people/robots going about their day to day routines.

Can't help but think that those who say the PC version stutters or has broken reflections have sailed the 7 seas. Some of my screenshots from the opening area:

T6B1Xm.png

T6BtHP.png

T6B091.png

T6qhca.png

T6qxvq.png

T6qFgr.png

T6qnD2.png

Regarding reflections, It seems like they are using planar reflections as the solution, hence they still remain even if the objects being reflected are no longer in view:

T6BWDx.png

And this is the scene posted earlier where people were claiming the PC version has broken reflections in comparison to consoles (hint, it doesn't):

T6qLAv.png

Last edited:

rkofan87

Gold Member
i played a bit this morning using the i live in nz hack lol i live in the us and liked it will be picking it on ps5 when its patched.

I liked Callisto Protocol, so I guess this game's for me, then.

Will be getting it on PS5 tomorrow.

Dance Dancing GIF by Soul Train

Mozzarella

The visuals are absolutely great, i'll hold on getting the game for now till its even more polished, but if there is one thing that i already like about it is that its visual and art aesthetics, it would be a shame if the game turned out to be mediocre.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Maybe they excluded RT because it fucked up performance a lot?

It seems the game is getting kudos for polished visuals and maybe they didn't want to get dumped on in reviews. They'll add RT back later on.

Just a guess.

Last edited:
I’m not far enough in the game to say anything but - how on earth do the graphics look this good? Is this the best looking UE4 game? And from a relatively small team - crazy
Where are you playing it, PC? Any word on the performance for the PS5 version? A short answer would suffice, if any. :)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ugh. Despite turning the camera shake option as low as possible, there is INCREDIBLE camera shaking in the non-interactive first person cut-scenes. That shit always makes me nauseous. Wish the setting applied to cut-scenes as well.

Mr1999

With DLSS off the game looks amazing, was not expecting much from the story to begin with, its a solid 8 with .5 bonus for graphics and art direction.

Just got to the first save room. Pretty dang solid start. Haven't done much combat yet but everything so far is extremely cool. I like how you search rooms and all the drawers and cabinets move. Yes the graphics are great, but the solid art design is the star of the show so far.

Last edited:

sendit

Thank god for Steam's 2 hour/2 week return policy. Refunded. Graphics are a hit/miss, way too inconsistent.

Last edited:
Definitely going to play on easy. I already get a little dizzy spinning around to find these guys in close quarters fights with the dodges they want you to do. I dont need to bust my balls on this game to see the art and get through the game. The shotgun also obstructs your view a lot with the kickback. Just feels a little hard to see sometimes in fights. Getting used to it still though.

Last edited:

hinch7

Played a bit and graphics are really darn good. Combat is decent so far, and the melee is pretty good for an FPS. The lack of impact of weapons isn't great though. Hopefully the later weapons get more powerful and impactful.

I don't usually care about VA's that much in games but the voice acting here is wtf tier lol. I mean I get its not the devs native language but man.. Also MC won't shut the hell up.

The game alright so far, quite fun and something unique in the alternate soviet setting and the opening scenes are quite a spectacle. And clearly taking inspiration by Bioshock, if a budget eurojank copy. Makes me more excited to play Judas and Bioshock 4 tbh.

Last edited:

Flabagast

How the FUCK can this game looks this good on ps5 ? It looks nearly a gen above anything else. What kind of dark magic this Russians have been using.

How do you do this are upgrade attack? Im finding the explanations and the menu UI to be a little lacking.

Edit: nevermind I see now.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Being able to hold down a button to search all areas and pick up loot is such a godsend, every game should have this.

How the FUCK can this game looks this good on ps5 ? It looks nearly a gen above anything else. What kind of dark magic this Russians have been using.

What is the PS5 versions final install size after the day 1 patch ?

Last edited:

sendit

Maybe they excluded RT because it fucked up performance a lot?

It seems the game is getting kudos for polished visuals and maybe they didn't want to get dumped on in reviews. They'll add RT back later on.

Just a guess.
This is most likely the case. The game has so many reflective surfaces that it is a shame it shipped without ray tracing. I'll repurchase once they release the full game.

Do you guys really think this? I dont. It looks great mostly because of super solid art design. The graphics don't look that insane in terms being a crazy next gen showcase. Everything is just eye catching and designed artistically. Comes off looking great but not that impossible.

Top Bottom