• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atomic Heart | Review Thread

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Well, I've been playing it and didn't experience any of those issues so far. I'm playing on a LG VRR display so maybe that's smoothing things out or maybe something is wrong w/ their install or patch...

Same here, I saw in another thread that they did their review before the latest patch came out, which was a day or two after the day one patch.

acm2000

loving the game so far, as someone who really cant be fucked with open world games much anymore i was pleasantly surprise how "restricted" the world is in these and the dungeons/mission areas can be huge.

the upgrade vending machine music tho... god damn, stuck in my brain

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Finished it this morning. Pretty good. Music is top tier in this game. Combat can be rough.

The QTE on the twin fight has such a small window I was lucky to get it on my 20th try.

Overall a good game an 8 I would say.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I think some of the achievements are bugged. My complete VDNH achievement didn’t pop. My ultimate weapon didn’t pop and I have done all of those.

Eiknarf

Banned
Finished it this morning. Pretty good. Music is top tier in this game. Combat can be rough.

The QTE on the twin fight has such a small window I was lucky to get it on my 20th try.

Overall a good game an 8 I would say.
What level of difficulty ya play on?

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I think some of the achievements are bugged. My complete VDNH achievement didn’t pop. My ultimate weapon didn’t pop and I have done all of those.
Aye they're totally borked. I've completed, got all of the guns etc, none of them came up.

I've read that every time you shut the game off they reset..

I didnt care though, I loved the game. Cant wait to see what Mundfish will do next.

Last edited:
I'm not very far in the game, but wow its pretty fucking hard? Or i suck at games now
At first the game seems relatively difficult, yes.

But as soon as the lovely "Nora" levels up your shooting irons and skills, things really get going. When it comes to skills, I would limit myself to one and fully develop it. Mass Telikinesis for example is very powerful.

On the surface in the more open areas, the enemies respawn again and again. (Imo the only design flaw that you can really blame the game for). I wouldn't waste too much time here. Do a few puzzle dungeons, clear out a house here and there, but then take a car and drive straight to the next main mission.

Last edited:

oji-san

Banned
Agree, outside of testing grounds there's nothing to find in the open world, no side quests or special weapons etc.

Eiknarf

Banned
I started Deathloop, and it’s the first First Person Game/Shooter I’ve played in the four months I’ve had a PS5. I tend to favor Third Person Games.

That said, I do like the gameplay/melee/shooting in Deathloop.. So if anyone has played both, is that “feel” the same in Atomic Heart? Is Atomic Heart better or worse than Deathloop?

SALMORE

I started Deathloop, and it’s the first First Person Game/Shooter I’ve played in the four months I’ve had a PS5. I tend to favor Third Person Games.

That said, I do like the gameplay/melee/shooting in Deathloop.. So if anyone has played both, is that “feel” the same in Atomic Heart? Is Atomic Heart better or worse than Deathloop?

they're different from each other Atomic Heart is slow based and most of the enemies are melee attackers !

the game is very similar too

Bioshock
Prey
and even Half life

Eiknarf

Banned
they're different from each other Atomic Heart is slow based and most of the enemies are melee attackers !

the game is very similar too

Bioshock
Prey
and even Half life
Oh interesting. From some of the footage I watched Atomic Heart seemed fast paced and hectic (in the outdoor scenes) with nonstop robots attacking. But I admit I’m purposely not watching a lot because I don’t want to spoil it if I play it

Last edited:

Deathloop isn't strictly about your skills as a player. You can bypass combat by taking stealth and different routes.

Atomic Heart feels better to play and you will need to get good a little bit as well. Not a straight up shooter I feel, has some survival game aspects to it.

jaysius

Banned
Any further Patches on this for Xbox and PC? not started it yet, as I'm waiting for it to be fixed.
They pretended to be a good dev on the reddit the first week it was out, promising to listen to fans.

All these weeks now and still on loading my game I lose my 2nd dodge and random skills until I go to a NORA to uninstall/install them to force them to reappear on my HUD.

SALMORE

Oh interesting. From some of the footage I watched Atomic Heart seemed fast paced and hectic (in the outdoor scenes) with nonstop robots attacking. But I admit I’m purposely not watching a lot because I don’t want to spoil it if I play it
that's only when the alarm goes to level 2 which happens rarely

hlm666

Any further Patches on this for Xbox and PC? not started it yet, as I'm waiting for it to be fixed.
Whats wrong with the pc version? Only issues i've had has been being knocked into geometry and unable to move (alot and it's pissing me off) and I don't expect that to be fixed. I'm still early in the game I guess though, I only killed hedgie last night which is the first boss I think.

edit: oh and I don't think I can change the fov, can't find it in the settings and the fov is super low at default.

Last edited:

Alebrije

Should i be looting everything in the open world? Or just go to the next big mission?
Should loot to upgrade , specially the 1st half of the game...so the second is easier...the best time for looting is after you see the first time the twin women robots...

Eiknarf

Banned
Got this today, used, so if I don’t like it, I could bring it back for a full refund within a week

That said, why don’t I feel any haptic feedback? The developer said it would be there on the PS5

I don’t see a Setting for it in the game.

Is it because the game is still downloading as I’m playing??

Any PS5 gamers know?

Eiknarf

Banned
Got this today, used, so if I don’t like it, I could bring it back for a full refund within a week

That said, why don’t I feel any haptic feedback? The developer said it would be there on the PS5

I don’t see a Setting for it in the game.

Is it because the game is still downloading as I’m playing??

Any PS5 gamers know?
Replying to myself because it might be related

I see the game is still downloading for another 30 minutes. Could that be why i don’t feel haptic feedback?

Eiknarf

Banned
After playing six hours of this, it’s completely fine!
If you like Bioshock, you’ll like this. It’s just updated graphics, great haptics and trigger effects, unique sounds, different story, etc

7.2 out of 10

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
After playing six hours of this, it’s completely fine!
If you like Bioshock, you’ll like this. It’s just updated graphics, great haptics and trigger effects, unique sounds, different story, etc

7.2 out of 10
this is absolutely nothing like bioshock though

Eiknarf

Banned
It is in the sense that ya have to prepare your “left and right hand”

And if ya want to add to it, there’s also Deathloop. Also comparable to Bioshock:!The circus sounds, the drunk obnoxious behavior of the citizens, the left and right hand prep… etc

kiphalfton

This game likes to waste your time with those stupid snap locks, collecting shit to progress forward, etc.

When you get into the VDNH and you're talking to the female robot, she has you collect some BS items for the "Darwin Test", then you have to tail her and she stops at every exhibit and sits there for like a minute talking about some nonsense BS, I couldn't help but think the devs were probably having a laugh at the expense of gamers. Then 30 minutes later you're having to play fucking Snake, for God knows what reason, and I just about gave up.

Last edited:

WildBoy

It's clearly bioshock inspired. It mixes melee combat with powers and guns. It has cameras that detect you and send in mini flying robots to take you out. It's even starts like bioshock but you go down. It has save points at machines and you get upgrades from those machines... I don't know what game you played.

RavionUHD

Just finished the game and I really like it, I can definitly recommend it, it also looks absolutely fantastic on PC and runs really good.
Some screenshots in 5K Ultrawide and ReShade.
uVlVXC5.jpg
mSRojWz.jpg
orUiUyS.jpg
T0cDgFY.jpg
OHMKpeR.jpg
ujoatQ0.jpg
LOs2ARU.jpg

kapshin

Late to this one, I like it I avoided after negative reading about it, I like it so far but seriously fuck that level with the cart you have to move in the puzzle and the cannisters.

Playing the free trial of this on PS Plus Premium.

This game is insufferable and so is the protagonist. Terrible.

Play with the russian dub. The character will still be an asshole, but at least he's a russian asshole so that makes it charming in a twisted way.

This game is a lot of fun, it gets a bit repetitive, but it's incredibly insane and I enjoyed my time with it.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Play with the russian dub. The character will still be an asshole, but at least he's a russian asshole so that makes it charming in a twisted way.
As a Russian myself i'll say this - there is no way you can translate everything P-3 / Nechaev says (but tbh most of what the game has to say) cuz it's completely untranslatable to other languages and it is exactly the reason why many people think that what he says is a bunch on nonsense and he's a terrible character, while in fact it's just a language and cultural barrier.

If you didn't live in the USSR, it's just impossible to get every cultural reference, every joke, strong words etc. etc. etc. Moreover, Atomic Heart is a way harder (if not impossible, as I've said) game to translate properly than any Metro or S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game. In a way, I think here's where Japan games also suffer from translation bc it's a very similar situation with their games as well.

The best way I can describe P-3 / Nechaev - dumb military man. But here's the thing, he sure looks, acts and sounds like it, but the reason as to why he is how he is is because of what happened to him and I won't spoil any specifics. I'll just say that by the end of the game everything becomes very clear (even LSD-like dream level) and you look at him and at the events in the game differently. I think Atomic Heart is the best game made by a Russian dev team since.... Nival's Heroes of Might and Magic V. The game is not perfect, but i'm sure sequel (in development) will be way better, more varied and much less repetitive combat-wise and they'll fix not so great open world in terms of what you do in it.

I haven't played any DLC yet, waiting for all of them to come out.

Last edited:

Flabagast

As a Russian myself i'll say this - there is no way you can translate everything P-3 / Nechaev says (but tbh most of what the game has to say) cuz it's completely untranslatable to other languages and it is exactly the reason why many people think that what he says is a bunch on nonsense and he's a terrible character, while in fact it's just a language and cultural barrier.

If you didn't live in the USSR, it's just impossible to get every cultural reference, every joke, strong words etc. etc. etc. Moreover, Atomic Heart is a way harder (if not impossible, as I've said) game to translate properly than any Metro or S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game. In a way, I think here's where Japan games also suffer from translation cuz it's a very similar situation with their games as well.

The best way I can describe P-3 / Nechaev - dumb military man. But here's the thing, he sure looks, acts and sounds like it, but the reason as to why he is how he is is because of what happened to him and I won't spoil any specifics. I'll just say that by the end of the game everything becomes very clear (even LSD-like dream level) and you look at him and at the events in the game differently. I think Atomic Heart is the best game made by Russian dev team since.... Nival's Heroes of Might and Magic V.
No man the best game made by a Russian team is by far Pathologic 2 (as this is straight up one of the best games ever).

But Atomic Heart was pretty good and kind of underrated I agree

Last edited:

If you didn't live in the USSR, it's just impossible to get every cultural reference, every joke, strong words etc. etc. etc. Moreover, Atomic Heart is a way harder (if not impossible, as I've said) game to translate properly than any Metro or S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game. In a way, I think here's where Japan games also suffer from translation bc it's a very similar situation with their games as well.

The best way I can describe P-3 / Nechaev - dumb military man. But here's the thing, he sure looks, acts and sounds like it, but the reason as to why he is how he is is because of what happened to him and I won't spoil any specifics. I'll just say that by the end of the game everything becomes very clear (even LSD-like dream level) and you look at him and at the events in the game differently. I think Atomic Heart is the best game made by a Russian dev team since.... Nival's Heroes of Might and Magic V. The game is not perfect, but i'm sure sequel (in development) will be way better, more varied and much less repetitive combat-wise and they'll fix not so great open world in terms of what you do in it.

I haven't played any DLC yet, waiting for all of them to come out.
This is what we call "lost in translation".

Some words or phrases can't be translated to other languages because they don't have a word to describe the definition.

Top Bottom