• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan Season 2 |OT| NO MANGA TALK

Status
Not open for further replies.
When yall say reveal, it can't possibly mean we only now reached those reveals. I haven't watched the season yet, waiting for it to be closer to ending, but man that's slower than I expected the season to go

zelas

All these nothing episodes for a reveal that had nothing to do with the build up of previous events. Dropped in such a random ass way. Is the show going to actually expanded upon this point or just move onto something else like they've done with every other reveal?

All these nothing episodes for a reveal that had nothing to do with the build up of previous events. Dropped in such a random ass way. Is the show going to actually expanded upon this point or just move onto something else like they've done with every other reveal?

How did this reveal have nothing to do with the previous episodes? Overall, we just got the identities of the two bastards who literally kickstarted the series when the Colossal Titan put his foot through the gate in the first episode.

Not sure what you mean that it has nothing to do with the previous events. Reiner has his pride as a warrior and after seeing Ymir go all out and the possible connection with his past, he decided he couldn't live like this anymore and decided to just do it.

Not sure what you mean that it has nothing to do with the previous events. Reiner has his pride as a warrior and after seeing Ymir go all out and the possible connection with his past, he decided he couldn't live like this anymore and decided to just do it.

And they want Eren for some reason and it seems to be their main goal.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
The first time I watched it, I was really confused how Reiner lost his hand. I think it's because the animators screwed up a few frames. Here's after he gets cut but before they show him missing his right hand.

Et4EcFo.jpg

I'd imagine in Reiner's anxiety addled brain his line of thought was "Okay if they naturally find out the chances of talking it out are zero percent - and they are probably getting close - but if I try and make a case no matter how shitty the odds have got to be better"

zelas

How did this reveal have nothing to do with the previous episodes? Overall, we just got the identities of the two bastards who literally kickstarted the series when the Colossal Titan put his foot through the gate in the first episode.

This season's main events,
beast titan, the supposed hole in the wall, villagers turning into titans
, plus smaller events like Sasha's episode have established no direct connection to today's reveal. Today's reveal is indeed a partial answer to stuff from LAST season but that's my point. The show is jumping all over the place, introducing new threads just to drop them immediately for new threads that too will be dropped. This pattern is frustrating as hell because with only 6 episodes left I find it unlikely they're going to be able to provide enough well developed answers to make ground on S1's and now S2's questions. Chances are the next 6 episodes are going to throw even more questions onto the pile.

DarkKyo

Today's reveal is indeed a partial answer to stuff from LAST season but that's my point. The show is jumping all over the place, introducing new threads just to drop them immediately for new threads that too will be dropped.
You're trying too hard to criticize it, there's literally nothing wrong with this show's narrative structure. Sometimes in life you don't figure things out until later. Evidence is not just conveniently there for you to piece things together in such a linear and obvious order. Besides, there have been lots of clues so it's not like this is out of nowhere.

Astral

, plus smaller events like Sasha's episode have established no direct connection to today's reveal. Today's reveal is indeed a partial answer to stuff from LAST season but that's my point. The show is jumping all over the place, introducing new threads just to drop them immediately for new threads that too will be dropped. This pattern is frustrating as hell because with only 6 episodes left I find it unlikely they're going to be able to provide enough well developed answers to make ground on S1's and now S2's questions. Chances are the next 6 episodes are going to throw even more questions onto the pile.

You gotta remember that there are no "seasons" in a manga. There is no tying stuff together from this season and not the last. It's just one continuing story. This is the next story beat and they'll get back to the previous mysteries whenever. You're right, it probably won't be this season because this season is only 12 episodes. I don't doubt that they'll raise even more questions by the end.

DJwest

Even Bert couldn't believe they were about to do that lol. "Reiner! Are we doing it? Now? Right here?" Amazing scene.

That reveal... Reiner really gone bonkers huh? I guess at this point he doesn't care anymore... Transforming on top of the wall and sliding down is also bad idea, they could've scraped off so much of the wall and reveal the wall titans.

Also identity of XL titan confirmed. Is he the last boss? At this point, Bertolt is no last boss material. Bertolt also looks nothing like his titan-form. What makes him so special such that he can transform into a 50+ metre thing?

J@hranimo

Banned

Well this is how it went down in the manga. Sorry if you don't like it but this arc and this season are pretty spot on so far. It should end good
but there will be a few more questions if the season ends how I'm expecting it to.

Except these threads are not "dropped" if they are in fact answering them. It's all a part of a larger whole.

I get the frustration, but I would wait until the season is over. And like Astral said, the manga is pretty continuous and isn't separated into discrete "seasons." I don't even know what threads have been dropped.

Mendrox

Haha guys chill out. Eberything will be explained and it is good. It just takes time like with every good thing. The reveal was better than expected.

You gotta remember that there are no "seasons" in a manga. There is no tying stuff together from this season and not the last. It's just one continuing story. This is the next story beat and they'll get back to the previous mysteries whenever. You're right, it probably won't be this season because this season is only 12 episodes. I don't doubt that they'll raise even more questions by the end.

I think it's fair game to criticize the anime for pacing issues that aren't present in the manga. Seasonal TV shows should have narrative arcs that line up with the seasons. That said, I'll wait until this season ends to form an opinion on it.

/Shrug.

That's just a very typical mystery mystery narrative structure. They don't tell a mystery and then the answer. They answer some mysteries, but only a few of them, and while doing they introduce even more mysteries.
If you want to know, as a manga reader, yes, at some point they will reach a moment where they start answer more questions and making new ones.

edit: I understand at this point it seems the series is fucking with you, it makes you hate it. You want answers, and the story only grows more and more confusing and new questions appear even when old questions are still a mystery. But just take a breath. It's a mystery series, mysteries are about making questions more than answering them. Just take solace in that eventually there will be answers.

FluxWaveZ

That was some hype shit. I also love how the reveal was so nonchalantly dropped. I initially thought he was messing with Eren to ensure that he wasn't an enemy of humanity or something, before the flashback.

I've also really liked Eren as a main character, and I was reminded why here. He always wants to believe in his compatriots, and finds ways to avail them of suspicion when everyone else is suspecting them. But, when he's shown the truth, he enters his "korosu" rage mode instead of hemming and hawing about how he might not want to kill them, and I enjoy that.

Really thought that Reiner was on the side of humanity.

Yeah its very clear that everything that has happened this season had driven Reiner into a corner. He learned that there were other titans in the cadets that he didn't know about. Are they also after Eren? The situation was quickly becoming FUBAR and he was getting in too deep with the scouts and becoming too attached.

Mendrox

I think it's fair game to criticize the anime for pacing issues that aren't present in the manga. Seasonal TV shows should have narrative arcs that line up with the seasons. That said, I'll wait until this season ends to form an opinion on it.

But this season lines up with it's own arc. How do you expect the Story to be told when they have a manga as the source? This is no American TV show where that works with refering to the source Material. The anime conpletely adapts the manga. And they are doing a great Job because the next season will surely be longer and wont break the arc pace then.

Geg

Man, everything about this episode was perfect except I'm not a fan of the Colossal Titan apparently being entirely animated in 3D now. It looks really weird and stands out next to everything else.

Also congrats to everyone who managed to stay unspoiled on this for so long, I don't know how I would have done it lol

gconsole

That reveal... Reiner really gone bonkers huh? I guess at this point he doesn't care anymore... Transforming on top of the wall and sliding down is also bad idea, they could've scraped off so much of the wall and reveal the wall titans.

Also identity of XL titan confirmed. Is he the last boss? At this point, Bertolt is no last boss material. Bertolt also looks nothing like his titan-form. What makes him so special such that he can transform into a 50+ metre thing?

Nothing. This series is about being real, you don't need to be special be a titan. The collossal titan seems like a last boss when it was first reveal, but the more you see him, the more you feel like this titan doesn't do any shit apart from being big ( which has its own benefit ). You see that he is very slow and clunky, which seems to suit the character of Bertolt very well. The whole time Bertolt being human he always looks scared and indecisive as fuck. He even needs to ask Reiner whether they are going to do it right here right now.

To be fair , it's quite a good balance between both character. But yeah, it might not be as cool as people might want it to be for a person who can control colossal titan power. But at this point, the story already introduce the new enemy which seems to be a lot more scary and powerful ( ape one ), so the importance of these 2 has already been dropped a lot. Just like what Reiner feel, he doesn't even know what's going on anymore.

Is there anyone thats documenting and explaining the plot points we know so far

Im also having a hard time connecting the dots here

Who is the real antagonist. Is every titan just a previous human being. Who experimented on them

And man its crazy that these guys caused the deaths of so many and then just started hanging out with the rest of the cast and performing heroic deeds to throw them all off

Reiner also seemed pretty surprised that Ymir was a titan. SO clearly they all dont know who is who

My guess is that people who figured out they were titans want revenge on teh creators of the titans hanging out in the castle?

WHo knows but its clear humanity created the thing thats killing them

Geg

When yall say reveal, it can't possibly mean we only now reached those reveals. I haven't watched the season yet, waiting for it to be closer to ending, but man that's slower than I expected the season to go

We know the season is only 12 episodes long; this reveal was exactly halfway through the manga arc the season is covering and we're now halfway through the season. I don't see the problem.

Yoda

None of the threads are being dropped, they just aren't related to each other this very moment. Remember the anime is only halfway caught up w/the manga, and the manga isn't over itself.

We know the season is only 12 episodes long; this reveal was exactly halfway through the manga arc the season is covering and we're now halfway through the season. I don't see the problem.
Yeah this reveal is exactly the kind of thing you save for a mid season climax if your making a tv show.

So what does Reiner want? His home back? What is that?

should we assume he was an actual normal human before this happened to him?

Also Connies people... do we assume they are the titans that just got slaughtered?!

I mean.... i cant see any other explanation

Who is the real antagonist. Is every titan just a previous human being. Who experimented on them

And man its crazy that these guys caused the deaths of so many and then just started hanging out with the rest of the cast and performing heroic deeds to throw them all off

Reiner also seemed pretty surprised that Ymir was a titan. SO clearly they all dont know who is who

My guess is that people who figured out they were titans want revenge on teh creators of the titans hanging out in the castle?

Copied what I posted on p13 and edited it with new info.

1) Eren, Mikasa, Armin, Jean, Sasha, Connie and Survey Corps Trio (Erwin, Levi, Hanji): trying to uncover the truth, the protagonists

2) XL/Colossal Titan, Armored Titan, Female Titan: Trying to break the wall and infiltrate and eradicate all human? Potentially from outside the wall. Currently trying to capture Eren (and Ymir) and bring them to their homeland alive. Changed priorities once they witnessed Eren's transformation.

3) Church + "Higher Will": knows about the wall being made of titans, but does not want to say anything. Asked to keep track of Krista, who has a "special" family background.
Might be related to the police, but the police and church are not entirely aligned, as shown in trial mid-Season 1. Police want to shut down the gates, but Church says "don't touch the wall".

---

Suspicious people - make sure you're all caught up on the OVAs and all anime episodes (up to s2e6). **I'm an anime-only watcher myself

4) Annie/ Female Titan - frozen, but worked with Reiner and Bertolt. Armin speculated that she might be the one gathering titans into the wall after 2) smashed parts of the wall.

5) Reiner and Bertoit are confirmed Armored Titan and Colossal Titan, respectively. Worked with Annie to "make all human disappear" -- so to eradicate human race? Their "go back to their hometown" thing makes be wonder if they're from outside the walls. We also don't know why bringing Eren back = don't have to break walls again, as proposed by Reiner.

6) Ymir -- We dont really know, but she can transform, and her name is mentioned in the Ilse's Diary OVA (took place within the walsl), so either related to 3) or Eren's dad or an unknown faction. Reiner is unaware of her status, so not the same faction. Knows a foreign language Reiner does not read.

7) Beast titan -- not sure. He doesn't know about the 3D maneuver, but can speak, so might be 2) or another faction. Can control titans like Female Titan (well, summon/lure large amounts of normal titans), but with more precision (like stop them from moving/eating or send(?) a large crowd to attack one location). Last time we see sentient/speaking titans were in Ilse's Diary and in Connie's town and in the start of s2e4.

8) Eren's dad: he knows how to turn people Eren into titans, so he must've have some backing, so 3) or related to 7)?. Doesn't seem to know about 2)'s attack in advance (his wife died, and he was crying while giving Eren an injection), so not part of that. Has an underground study full of goodies (or so he says) which Eren has the key for.

maybe it's been so long I just didn't remember the pacing of the manga I guess.

DarkKyo

2) XL/Colossal Titan, Armored Titan, Female Titan: Trying to break the wall and infiltrate and eradicate all human? Potentially from outside the wall.

Only thing I'd add to this is that it seems like the main goal of these three is to get Eren back with them alive. Female titan specifically went to great lengths to try and carry a live Eren home with her.

Copied what I posted on p13 and edited it with new info.

1) Eren, Mikasa, Armin, Jean, Sasha, Connie and Survey Corps Trio (Erwin, Levi, Hanji): trying to uncover the truth, the protagonists

2) XL/Colossal Titan, Armored Titan, Female Titan: Trying to break the wall and infiltrate and eradicate all human? Potentially from outside the wall.

3) Church + "Higher Will": knows about the wall being made of titans, but does not want to say anything. Asked to keep track of Krista, who has a "special" family background.
Might be related to the police, but the police and church are not entirely aligned, as shown in trial mid-Season 1. Police want to shut down the gates, but Church says "don't touch the wall".

---

Suspicious people - make sure you're all caught up on the OVAs and all anime episodes (up to s2e6). **I'm an anime-only watcher myself

4) Annie/ Female Titan - frozen, but worked with Reiner and Bertolt. Armin speculated that she might be the one gathering titans into the wall after 2) smashed parts of the wall.

5) Reiner and Bertoit are confirmed Armored Titan and Colossal Titan, respectively. Worked with Annie to "make all human disappear" -- so to eradicate human race? Their "go back to their hometown" thing makes be wonder if they're from outside the walls. We also don't know why bringing Eren back = don't have to break walls again, as proposed by Reiner.

6) Ymir -- We dont really know, but she can transform, and her name is mentioned in the Ilse's Diary OVA (took place within the walsl), so either related to 3) or Eren's dad or an unknown faction. Reiner is unaware of her status, so not the same faction. Knows a foreign language Reiner does not read.

7) Beast titan -- not sure. He doesn't know about the 3D maneuver, but can speak, so might be 2) or another faction. Can control titans like Female Titan (well, summon/lure large amounts of normal titans), but with more precision (like stop them from moving/eating or send(?) a large crowd to attack one location). Last time we see sentient/speaking titans were in Ilse's Diary and in Connie's town and in the start of s2e4.

8) Eren's dad: he knows how to turn people Eren into titans, so he must've have some backing, so 3) or related to 7)?. Doesn't seem to know about 2)'s attack in advance (his wife died, and he was crying while giving Eren an injection), so not part of that. Has an underground study full of goodies (or so he says) which Eren has the key for.

I mean... Im not seeing a divide between Titans and Humans at this point. Titans are just the result of whoever was the first to figure out how to fuck with whatever causes the transformation..... and clearly its been done all over the place with varying degrees of results

Maybe the Beast titan is the actual Titan that was used as the basis for all experiments? So maybe a titan race actually existed?

I know im going all over the place but there is so much going on. Historia.... I havent even touched on her

Some questions

How the titans appeared? What's the relationship between normal titans and shifter titans? Are all titans just humans that couldn't transform back and eventually forgot they were once humans?
Who/what is the Beast titan? From where does it comes that he didn't know about 3d gear?
What and where is the 'hometown' mentioned by Reiner? Is there a place outside of wall full of sentient titans, like Reiner, Annie, etc? Is that the village from where they came from?
Why that holy crusade of destroying humanity? Did humanity sinned greatly in the past and Titans haven't forgotten?
Is Ymir from a different place, or from the same place than them but with a different goal?

JaseMath

Haven't seen any of S2, but for those of you currently watching, on a scale of 1-6, how fucking incredible is Mikasa?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
giphy.gif

I'm speechless, that was so good.

Haven't seen any of S2, but for those of you currently watching, on a scale of 1-6, how fucking incredible is Mikasa?
Minor spoilers:
She actually hasn't been given a lot of airtime so far in season 2. The season so far has mostly been about the side characters.

Lautaro

That revelation was so unceremonious it made me laugh. Well, its not like this show is hard to predict. Even the main characters tend to anticipate who are the titans. I was expecting the colossal titan to be more of a leader not just a warrior though (does that mean there's stronger titans? shit, don't answer that question).

Some questions

How the titans appeared? What's the relationship between normal titans and shifter titans? Are all titans just humans that couldn't transform back and eventually forgot they were once humans?
Who/what is the Beast titan? From where does it comes that he didn't know about 3d gear?
What and where is the 'hometown' mentioned by Reiner? Is there a place outside of wall full of sentient titans, like Reiner, Annie, etc? Is that the village from where they came from?
Why that holy crusade of destroying humanity? Did humanity sinned greatly in the past and Titans haven't forgotten?
Is Ymir from a different place, or from the same place than them but with a different goal?

How the titans appeared? Genetic tinkering. Stole Monkey Beast Titan DNA. Maybe Humanity stumbled upon monkey men and they didnt get along?

Who/what is the Beast titan? The catalyst to everything? He is clear different from any titan we have seen so far. Maybe he is representative of the true titan race or hes just yet another human experiment. He does have many human qualities with regards to his facial structure.

What and where is the 'hometown' mentioned by Reiner? My Guess is that he might be part of the first town of people experimented on. Could have just been a normal town before people in power decided to do the unthinkable. Reiner going back an forth on the whole "destroy" humanity thing makes me think he was once human himself.

Why that holy crusade of destroying humanity? Did humanity sinned greatly in the past and Titans haven't forgotten? This is kind of what crushes my theories a bit. If some people in power did some evil shit.... why kill so many innocent lives on the way? If titans were once humans.... outside of the ones that lost control of their minds I dont understand sacrificing so many innocents if the intent is to take revenge on those responsible

Maybe those that have read ahead can score my theories lol

kirblar

How the titans appeared? Genetic tinkering. Stole Monkey Beast Titan DNA. Maybe Humanity stumbled upon monkey men and they didnt get along?

Who/what is the Beast titan? The catalyst to everything? He is clear different from any titan we have seen so far. Maybe he is representative of the true titan race or hes just yet another human experiment. He does have many human qualities with regards to his facial structure.

What and where is the 'hometown' mentioned by Reiner? My Guess is that he might be part of the first town of people experimented on. Could have just been a normal town before people in power decided to do the unthinkable. Reiner going back an forth on the whole "destroy" humanity thing makes me think he was once human himself.

Why that holy crusade of destroying humanity? Did humanity sinned greatly in the past and Titans haven't forgotten? This is kind of what crushes my theories a bit. If some people in power did some evil shit.... why kill so many innocent lives on the way? If titans were once humans.... outside of the ones that lost control of their minds I dont understand sacrificing so many innocents if the intent is to take revenge on those responsible

Maybe those that have read ahead can score my theories lol
I give you a fun/10! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom