• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) manga thread of TOTAL SPOILER PANDEMONIUM

JDSN

Banned
So, watching the anime I now notice all the hints about Annie's gang being Titans.

Truly masterful foreshadowing, Oda ain't got shit on dis.
Now now, lets not say anything crazy, Oda waited like 400+ chapters to name haki after introducing it on the first one.

Just read all 42 chapters. This has become one of my favorite comics of all time. I disagree with those who say the writing is bad (minus the Berthold reveal), I think the author has an amazing ability to juggle a massive cast, continue bringing in new characters, make us care about them, and make us feel terrible when they die. The author also does a really good job of establishing a sense of dread while injecting occasional moments of humor. As far as character development, how could anyone argue that Armin, Potato Girl, and Jean haven't grown significantly? Eren and Mikasa are definitely the same as they were in the beginning, but it seems like their arcs are meant to progress over the whole series. I also love the art. It's strange at first, but I think it does a good job of establishing the post-apocalyptic tone, which frankly, the show doesn't do as well.

Having said all that, I understand the hate. I got to marathon the whole series in a week, so I got one reveal after another in rapid fire succession. But if you've been reading from the beginning, I'd imagine you might feel like you're being trolled with mystery after mystery but no answers. Also, the priest saying he wouldn't tell them why there are titans in the wall but he knows someone who might was horseshit.

Weiss

Banned
So after youtubing a few (grizzly, highly disturbing) scenes, I'm pretty interested in this series. Should I read the manga or watch the anime?

Kurita

So after youtubing a few (grizzly, highly disturbing) scenes, I'm pretty interested in this series. Should I read the manga or watch the anime?
The manga is way better imo.
The anime doesn't have the same tone.
It's over dramatic, the voice acting is annoying as hell, it's not as creepy/disturbing... And the production values aren't that great.

Weiss

Banned
The manga is way better imo.
The anime doesn't have the same tone.
It's over dramatic, the voice acting is annoying as hell, it's not as creepy/disturbing... And the production values aren't that great.

The "creepy/disturbing" value is what I'm really looking for after those scenes I saw, with Titans grinning their asses off and popping people into their mouths like their appetizers. I love how absolutely absurd this whole thing is. All of humanity trapped inside walls? Giant, deformed cannibal nudists? The only way to fight them is through improbably grappling hook cannons? Sounds awesome.

Kurita

It's just my personal opinion though.
You could always try both versions to see which one you like the most.

Anime for now. It's better paced despite some production issues. The manga is also really weird in that it shows some things out of chronological order.

duckroll

Has anyone seen this before? http://calorescence.tumblr.com/post/51450703198/did-you-know-the-inside-covers-of-the-japanese

Apparently there are hidden messages about the origin of the story's setting in the inner cover for the manga volumes. Pretty interesting stuff. The walls were already created in the new continent, and the rich and powerful were ferried across the sea to escape from the Titans. This pretty much confirms that there's a centuries long conspiracy by the church to keep humanity behind the walls living in peace, using the Titans as a sort of common enemy to prevent humanity from fighting among themselves again.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I genuinely feel bad for the people who now think the objective of the cast of the anime is to go to Eren's basement to find the truth.

Erigu

And how long has this been going on? How much closer are they to succeeding?
It never was supposed to be easy, and there was that whole unfortunate "titan spies" business. Only makes sense that they'd try to find out who the traitors in their ranks are.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Eh, honestly, it's kinda like comics where a lot of the times the plot is there to drive the character interactions, but there are quite a few mangas that are focused little stories or actually handles long stories well without padding it out with sudden revelations.

Weiss

Banned
So I've been checking out the manga. Liking it a lot, but I do have one complaint.

That being, the pacing is god awful. Arcs drag on, fights last way too long, and there's way too much anachronistic storytelling.

Like, right after the battle of Trost, we see the training and history of Eren and his squad, and after what happened, that would have been much better placed before the first fight with the Titans.

I still like it, the grim atmosphere, interesting characters, and bizarrely designed Titans make me want to keep pressing to find out what happens, but I'm hoping that it stops dragging on so much.

Like, right after the battle of Trost, we see the training and history of Eren and his squad, and after what happened, that would have been much better placed before the first fight with the Titans.

Watch the anime. They put things in chronological order.

Weiss

Banned
Just some thoughts about the second to last arc (with the Scouting Legion searching for Titans who broke through Wall Rose)

So it's more or less clear that the Titan Conny found on his house was his mother, right? And that Titans are made from people. The Scouting Legion mentions not finding any breaches along the wall, so the only answer is that the Titans they fought were from inside Wall Rose.

Erigu

Just some thoughts about the second to last arc (with the Scouting Legion searching for Titans who broke through Wall Rose)
So it's more or less clear that the Titan Conny found on his house was his mother, right? And that Titans are made from people. The Scouting Legion mentions not finding any breaches along the wall, so the only answer is that the Titans they fought were from inside Wall Rose.
(No need for spoiler tags, here!)

Yes, that does seem safe to say, indeed. Except for the Beast Titan, who appears to be able to climb the wall just fine (and might be (somehow?) responsible for the outbreak in the first place?).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
601092_185902914902230_856934592_n.jpg

Akito

His hand... I assume his hand was cut off when he was ripped out his titan body...
Ah yes, I see it now, it looked like a huge loquat or something to me haha. So Eren doesn't want to sit still and listen to what Ryner has to say just as we expected. Let's hope Ymir can hold him back long enough.

Weiss

Banned
omigod, backstory!?

Now that I think about it, what's up with Ryner and Bertholdt flashbacking to Ymir/Dancing Titan eating their village if they're Titan Shifters themselves?

And on a side note, "by the way I'm the Armored Titan" was hysterical. I had to go back and re-read about three times to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Ch. 46 spoilers leaking out... it seems the ape titan is the one changing the people within the walls.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Also, Eren has both of his hands cut off from Reiner and for some reason isn't regenerating. Neither is Ymir.

Erigu

From the manga topic:

Shingeki no Kyojin 46 spoilers

Ryner seems to have some kind of personality disorder and switches between his mankind-friendly soldier persona and his titan warrior one. He seems to remember an entirely different version of the recent events, and Bertolt has to remind him of who/what he is.

Elen unsurprisingly yells at Ryner and Bertolt for what they did five years ago, and that accomplishes about as much as you'd expect.

It gets more interesting when Ymir joins the conversation.
First off, they're waiting until it's dark to move, so titans won't be an issue. Ymir points out that titans could move in the dark just fine back at the fortress, and she's told "yes, and those here can't, you should know that, really".
Ymir asks Ryner about "the monkey". Ryner acts like he doesn't know what she's talking about. Ymir explains that the monkey / beast titan is the one who caused all those titans to appear within the wall and its objective probably was reconnaissance-in-force. Ryner and Bertolt's "home" is where that beast titan is, which is why they looked so elated when they saw him back at the fortress.
Ymir says she has her own reasons not to tell Elen everything, but at the very least, he should know that defeating Ryner and Bertolt wouldn't solve much in the end. Ryner interrupts her as she's about to tell him who they true enemy is (it apparently begins with "se"... "seifu" / "the gouvernement"? "sekai" / "the world"?).

Ryner points out that Ymir is betting on the wrong horse by allying herself with Elen. And while he can't ensure her safety once they're all back "home", he might be able to do something for Christa.
When Elen asks Ymir again about their real enemy, Ymir dodges the question. She's apparently been convinced by Ryner.

(spoiler-tagged for those who'd rather wait to see the actual episode)

EVOL 100%

So that explains why Bertolt is always a nervous wreck around Ryner.

I guess that also explains the terrible reveal about the titans' identities?

duckroll

Upcoming anime episode titles:
Ep11 - Idol
Ep12 - Wound
Ep13 - Primordial Desire
Ep14 - From that Day Onwards

It's going a little slower than my forecast. I expected the hole to be sealed by ep12, but it looks like they're going to drag it on and finish it by ep13. It's worth noting that ep14's title is the first one in the series which is not a manga title as well, so it's either original material, or from the sounds of the title... more likely a recap episode.

Erigu

It's worth noting that ep14's title is the first one in the series which is not a manga title as well, so it's either original material, or from the sounds of the title... more likely a recap episode.
I seem to remember one of the CG guys said something like "things should calm down a bit after the recap episode... hopefully" on Twitter.
Hopefully, that was always the idea and they won't have to adapt the rest of the series with one less episode than one less episode than planned (or end it with a video-exclusive episode).

Erigu

wait wut
whats this about chapter 56 spoilers? isn't the last one 45?
It's episode 46, but AlimNassor said "56" instead and I foolishly copy/pasted that part when I posted to correct his spoilers.

I guess I'll edit my post so there won't be more confusion.

Permanently A

It's episode 46, but AlimNassor said "56" instead and I foolishly copy/pasted that part when I posted to correct his spoilers.

I guess I'll edit my post so there won't be more confusion.

oh ok, thanks.

how has 46 been spoiled already? was it leaked? or is it out in japan and just hasn't been translated yet?

edit: nvm, figured it out

Top Bottom