• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) manga thread of TOTAL SPOILER PANDEMONIUM

DarkKyo

Most of anime gaf has correctly guess the female Titan and by correlation has also guessed the armored Titan

Then maybe those things are just that easy to guess in this story. You can say that the blonde hair on both titan and human characters helps the connection, but in manga if you have light/inkless hair then it's most likely blonde as well. They mimic'd a lot of the key shots of her from the manga pretty closely, like when she is crouching and smirking at Armin. The key difference is the fact that the show has many frames in one shot. The manga can hide things better because the artist can choose the exact second where her face is covered by swinging bangs and draw that. The anime can't really do that...

Anyways, I don't think it can be helped. It's not hard to guess in either.

daveo42

Banned
Just saw episode 17. They're completely giving it away are they? Disappointing.

I think they are being a bit more obvious right from the start as to who the different titans are. The biggest was the pacing and close ups with Reiner being killed. I felt it as at least a bit more like he had actually cut himself free and not completely crushed in the manga. The anime pretty much shows him getting crushed and focused a lot on Annie's face when she saw Reiner.

My guess the anime will end with the reveal of the wall titans.

Perkel

Banned
Bigger question is imo if how they will explain titans in manga and why titans are among people who fight.

I saw ton of manga that started good and then went batshit insane with plot being clishe as fuck. Reveal which will be probably in next few chapter will be live/die event for this manga/anime.

Jubern

My guess the anime will end with the reveal of the wall titans.

That was also my initial guess, but isn't this going to be hard at the current pace. They have, what, 8 episodes to get there? Not impossible but with the production problems...

Gvaz

Banned
Also it's really obvious that reiner is a titan because of his smoke aura thing. Shit, eren just did it as a human not 5 episodes earlier.

Also they're hinting that it's really in the future with races like "asian" and things like "herring" (saltwater fish)

Also hinting that mikasa might be a titan in one or two scenes.

Erigu

Also they're hinting that it's really in the future with races like "asian" and things like "herring" (saltwater fish)
Mikasa is said to be "Oriental", not "Asian".
I wouldn't say anything hints at that actually being our world, so far. Sure, there are humans, horses, herrings, but lots of heroic fantasy worlds borrow stuff from ours without any narrative justification. Just makes it easier to get into the story.

Zoe

"Asian" refers to a real world continent, whereas "Oriental" simply refers to a direction.

It's not evidence that it doesn't take place in this world. I'm going off the wiki since I haven't seen or read anything raw, but unless the reading was given, 東洋人 can be translated either way.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's not like people haven't used real world terms to describe alternate realities before in fiction. It's doesn't have to be the future.

Erigu

It's not evidence that it doesn't take place in this world.
But people talking about "Asians" would be evidence that it does. Hence the importance of the distinction.

I'm going off the wiki since I haven't seen or read anything raw, but unless the reading was given, 東洋人 can be translated either way.
In our world, sure, since Asia = East. But that's for our world.

It's not like people haven't used real world terms to describe alternate realities before in fiction. It's doesn't have to be the future.
Yup.

Anyway, we apparently still don't know all that much about the new episode... A tidbit though:
Ymir tells Christa that she stole her titan powers from Reiner's people back in the day, and that the outside world isn't that bad a place.

Gvaz

Banned
Mikasa is said to be "Oriental", not "Asian".
I wouldn't say anything hints at that actually being our world, so far. Sure, there are humans, horses, herrings, but lots of heroic fantasy worlds borrow stuff from ours without any narrative justification. Just makes it easier to get into the story.

Herrings are saltwater fish.

Also in the anime it was translated as asian and mikasa being the last "asian"

Gvaz

Banned
Someone was saying based on this new chapter, wall maria doesn't exist anymore, but I don't see it.

Gvaz

Banned
The manga generally has shittier quality and doesn't have colors so these things were harder to see in the manga.

Gvaz

Banned
What you call "shittier quality", I call an art style.

His art style has become better in several ways though, so his "art style" in that regard is getting "worse".

It was functional before, now it's at least mildly comprehensible.

aravuus

What you call "shittier quality", I call an art style.

I don't know, maybe my eyes haven't been trained for black-and-white japanese style drawing, but I really can't tell what the hell is going on in most fights. Also everyone has the same face.

New chapter was good because Eren didn't say a word.

Taruranto

This chapter seems to have big clue about the origin of the titans. Considering Ymir said she "stole" it from the group Reiner and Bert belong to, I guess it's safe Monkey Trouble is one of the original titans? And when she said she "died for her people" she meant she sacrificed herself and became a titan?

If those are true, then it's safe to assume Ymir people were once human too and not titan-born, and that titan who worshiped her in one of the early chapter was human too once.

Now the question is why she needed that power, I guess.

rexor0717

Also it's really obvious that reiner is a titan because of his smoke aura thing. Shit, eren just did it as a human not 5 episodes earlier.

Also hinting that mikasa might be a titan in one or two scenes.
The first episode of the anime is "to you, 2000 years in the future" so it's very possible this takes place in the future.

JDSN

Banned
I assume that this brilliant plan of luring the Titans involves a deep knowlege of manga by letting the old guy get eaten so Eren can become a Titan through generic rage.

daveo42

Banned
That was also my initial guess, but isn't this going to be hard at the current pace. They have, what, 8 episodes to get there? Not impossible but with the production problems...

That's about the best place to leave it off as a cliff hanger and I think they'll hit it. Based on what's coming up next in the anime, they should be able to hit it. Really surprised as the productions issues though.

Regarding the next chapter, is it just me or did the quality drop? It reminded me of a few of the rougher HxH issues that came out that felt either rushed or were just released sketches instead of a fully cleaned up chapter.

More set up for what seems like it could be a really great chapter next month.

Hey gang, anime watcher turned manga reader here, and i'm currently on Chapter 27. I didn't bother reading anything that was covered by the anime, but I feel like a few things are unclear to me right now:

1) What is the "legion" that I see the characters referring to?
2) Where did this sudden speculation about a spy come from?

Zoe

Hey gang, anime watcher turned manga reader here, and i'm currently on Chapter 27. I didn't bother reading anything that was covered by the anime, but I feel like a few things are unclear to me right now:

Run. Run now. You're not safe here.

READ IT ALL. NOW.

The manga does jump around a bit, and it does so in an order that doesn't exactly keep with the anime. If you liked it enough to jump into the manga, you shouldn't mind some slight retreading of material.

Gvaz

Banned

Same thing I say to Game of Thrones TV viewers. Read the books. All of them.

duckroll

The anime is almost certainly ending at around chapter 34 or so now. The new monthly synopsis in the mags indicate that....

Ep18 = Ch24
Ep19 = Ch25
Ep20 = Ch27
Ep21 = Ch29
Ep22 = Ch30

So with 25 episodes in total, ending at chapter 34 seems likely, but it looks like it's going to be fairly slow at 1-1.5 chapters per episode at most.

So that new chapter is.... something
/nothing

I feel like I should really wait for a whole volume to be completed because reading these in short bursts doesn't give me enough small-scale closure to be satisfying.

Branduil

The anime is almost certainly ending at around chapter 34 or so now. The new monthly synopsis in the mags indicate that....

Ep18 = Ch24
Ep19 = Ch25
Ep20 = Ch27
Ep21 = Ch29
Ep22 = Ch30

So with 25 episodes in total, ending at chapter 34 seems likely, but it looks like it's going to be fairly slow at 1-1.5 chapters per episode at most.

That was really the only place it ever made sense to end it. The Pacing will be somewhat slow but it shouldn't be nearly as bad as the end of the Trost arc when we reached 1-chapter-or-less status.

daveo42

Banned

Ep18 = Ch24
Ep19 = Ch25
Ep20 = Ch27
Ep21 = Ch29
Ep22 = Ch30

Seems about right. Chapter 34 is essentially the end of the female titan arc and the beginning of the breach arc. I could see them either finishing up the story and leaving the breach as the cliffhanger.

They could be really mean to the anime fanbase and end it at the end of 33. It'd really piss off a lot of viewers, but I think it makes for a much better cliffhanger ending with the wall being made of titans.

Oh god why is this even a thing?

Top Bottom