• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just watched the first two episodes because I've heard good things about this anime, and I have to say that the main character Eren is so goddamn annoying. He screams 24/7. Otherwise I really like the premise.

Looking on Wikipedia and elsewhere I see that the manga is still ongoing. Is the anime still getting new episodes in Japan? Is there a date for the manga to be "finished"? I don't want to get further invested into the show if it ends up getting canned without a satisfying ending.

I've only watched to completion Cowboy Bebop, Dragon Ball Z, The Big O, Death Note, and Code Geass. So this is the first anime that I have started in years.

I randomly came across a friend mentioning this show on Twitter and decided to give it a try not knowing anything about it. Damn is it good! I blew through the whole season in a day and a half. I didn't even realize it was a new show so I was disappointed that there wasn't a second season waiting to be watched.

After that I got in the mood for more anime since I don't watch it that much. I've been watch Bleach and I just finished Season 13. Don't flame me! I know Bleach isn't the best.

LowerLevel

Sorry didn't know about this thread. I've seen peeps mention this randomly throughout Gaf periodically. Three days ago, I saw that this was on Netflix so I decided to watch it while putting my son to sleep. I watched up to episode 12 the first night! Holy crap this anime was amazing! Like I said in the Vote thread, it's been SO long since an anime has held me as they all seem so similar or "retellings" of older series. I finished ep 25 last night... so good. I wish I found it sooner to vote in the Anime Voting thread, it's just that good.

It's been a while since a GAF recommendation hasn't steered me in the wrong direction, but this one was SPOT ON, Thanks!

Tom_Cody

I watched all 25 episodes last week in a 5 day stretch. I am not prone to binge-watching shows and I think this is the most extreme binge watch I have ever undertaken. Or at least since I stopped watching anime regularly ~10 years ago.

I had seen this thread pop up on GAF before but I oddly only became interested in watching the show when some of GF's friends sang the first opening theme ("Feuerroter Pfeil und Bogen") at karaoke. I couldn't get the song out of my head and I became instantly hooked as soon as I started watching.

This show scratches every itch of what I want from anime. The pacing is perfect. The designs. The mythology. Everything is just so well executed.

I am going to buy the blu-rays once they are released just to throw money at this project.

Bsigg12

Ok, just watched all 25 episodes and I'm hooked. Should I start the manga from the beginning or does the anime do a good job at getting the story from the manga to where I could buy from where the anime left off?

I haven't actively followed an anime/manga in years so I'm not sure where to go from the end of the first season since, through reading the last page of the thread, we won't have a second season for a while.

Ok, just watched all 25 episodes and I'm hooked. Should I start the manga from the beginning or does the anime do a good job at getting the story from the manga to where I could buy from where the anime left off?

I haven't actively followed an anime/manga in years so I'm not sure where to go from the end of the first season since, through reading the last page of the thread, we won't have a second season for a while.

The anime is a pretty faithful adaptation, so you can jump right into where it leaves off for the most part. There is a very mild alteration though, so I'd say start at chapter 33 which has most of what the last episode covered.

mjc

Oh, so this isn't a limited series that ends with episode 25? Good, I was kinda pissed that none of the mysteries got answered.

Finally some solid evidence that Opening 2 is the better opening:

tumblr_n090qexSnY1t5ykyto1_r2_500.gif

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It's especially annoying because SnK treats its female characters surprisingly well for a shonen. They're not pigeon-holed, damselled, put into skimpy-clothing, or given super-busts.

shira

It's especially annoying because SnK treats its female characters surprisingly well for a shonen. They're not pigeon-holed, damselled, put into skimpy-clothing, or given super-busts.

well she goes from having undershirt --> no undershirt . . .

kewlmyc

I rather they just wait till next year for another season. I don't want them to drag out the material just to fit 24 episodes, or for them to run out of material. God forbid we start heading into anime original ending territory. Just be patient. Thinking that the popularity will die just after a year hiatus is illogical. 7 years, sure, but 2? Really?

I don't like the idea of 12 episode seasons either. If they did that for the latest arc, I can't think of a decent place to cut it off that won't result in the arc being super rushed or having a decent "ending" for the season.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
K I just watched all 25 episodes on a binge. I am very impressed.

... damn I don't wanna have to wait forever for the second season. I was able to predict SOME of the things that happened, but by no means all of them. Must.... not.... spoiler.... myself... by... reading.... manga.... synopses....

TUSR

Banned
K I just watched all 25 episodes on a binge. I am very impressed.

... damn I don't wanna have to wait forever for the second season. I was able to predict SOME of the things that happened, but by no means all of them. Must.... not.... spoiler.... myself... by... reading.... manga.... synopses....

i found you smelly

Watched all 25 episodes in four days.

I liked the characters and themes, though it reminded me why I prefer to watch dubbed anime. The constant screaming yelling, punctuated by those shocked/surprised "UH" noises got on my nerves. The show does a good job of shedding light on all the conflicting thoughts and feelings people experience in a situation like that however.

The titans themselves were actually more horrifying enemies than I'd have thought. That bit where
Eren is swallowed by a Titan and is up to his waist in blood and bits of his comrades, some still alive
was really striking.

I've heard people find the combination of the militarism and the frequent "prepared to die for humanity" and strong/weak themes a little Fascist though I didn't see this myself personally.

My wife and I finished this last night. We really enjoyed it for the most part.

Couple of issues though, could somebody please tell them that most of the inner monologues were not necessary. Half the time just a line of dialogue would have sufficed, sometimes even a look would have portrayed what they were conveying, instead of wasting ten minutes explaining in minute detail the thoughts and feelings of the various soldiers. It got really silly sometimes. Less is more! We have brains you know?

Also, most of the music was great (the instrumental stuff anyway) but the awful pop rock that sometimes played during what should have been truly epic scenes felt really out of place. I really enjoyed the two intro themes though, but that's where the non instrumental music should have stayed in my opinion.

Everything else was great though, we loved Mikasa, she is a great badass character. The titans themselves were amazing, such great design. The way most were just ordinary looking, with no emotions made them very creepy. Some of them made my wife squirm in her seat,
the bearded one that ate Eren and the one that dined on his mother especially.

IronRinn

Couple of issues though, could somebody please tell them that most of the inner monologues were not necessary. Half the time just a line of dialogue would have sufficed, sometimes even a look would have portrayed what they were conveying, instead of wasting ten minutes explaining in minute detail the thoughts and feelings of the various soldiers. It got really silly sometimes. Less is more! We have brains you know?

I marathoned this on Netflix a few weeks ago too, and this was also my main problem with the series. No one can do anything in this show without reciting a monologue about it, then a flashback, then maybe a monologue about the flashback. It's crazy. Every episode could have lost a good five minutes of internal hand-wringing and have been much better off.

In the end, I enjoyed the series, but I think that is mostly due to the main conceit of a world in which giant, mindless humanoids have appeared with, seemingly, the sole purpose of wiping out humanity. It's such an off-the-wall concept. I may start reading the manga, but I'm less than enthused that (I spoiled myself with this, do not click if you haven't read the manga)
every other main character seems to be a secret Titan

I marathoned this on Netflix a few weeks ago too, and this was also my main problem with the series. No one can do anything in this show without reciting a monologue about it, then a flashback, then maybe a monologue about the flashback. It's crazy. Every episode could have lost a good five minutes of internal hand-wringing and have been much better off.

It's an issue I have with a lot of anime, they never know when to shut up and let the audience use their brains, but as you said it's such a great concept that I made an exception for this one and put it down as a quirk to be tolerated.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Argh, if I had known this wasn't a self contained season, I wouldn't have started watching it until the entire manga was adapted. I really don't want to have to wait so long for the next season (I'm not one to rewatch things and by the time season 2 comes out I'll have forgotten everything from season 1)... :/

Levi is the GOAT <3 *swoon* <3

Argh, if I had known this wasn't a self contained season, I wouldn't have started watching it until the entire manga was adapted. I really don't want to have to wait so long for the next season (I'm not one to rewatch things and by the time season 2 comes out I'll have forgotten everything from season 1)... :/

Binged it over the last three days and this is me right now. Fucking hell.

finished the series last night,
the 3D maneuver gear really reminded me of when the Mythbusters attempted to make Batman's grapple gun.
It would be cool to see if they could build an actual functioning set seeing as it nearly fixes every problem they had with the grapple .

Tuck

Watched through the show over the past few days as well. Incredible stuff, couldn't stop watching. Gonna continue on with the manga cause I can't wait to find out what happens next.

belushy

Banned
Attack on Titan English Dub to premier at Anime Boston

FUNimation announced during their Industry Panel at Katsucon that the English Dub of Attack on Titan will premiere at Anime Boston. They also revealed the English Crew for the series, listed here below: Attack on Titan Crew: ADR Director &#8211; Mike McFarland Head Writer &#8211; John Burgmeier Script Writers &#8211; J. Michael Tatum & Tyson Rinehart (episodes 3, 7, 10) ADR Engineer &#8211; Kenneth Thompson FUNimation plans to roll out the English Cast announcements in stages leading up to Anime Boston for the English Dub Premiere. Stay tuned for more information. series synopsis: When the man-eating giants called Titans first appeared, humans retreated behind massive walls. After a hundred years of safety, a colossal-sized Titan smashes through the defenses, unleashing a flood of giants and carnage in the streets. Eren Jaeger watches helplessly as one of the creatures devours his mother. He vows to kill every Titan walking the earth. Eren and his surviving friends enlist to fight against the insatiable monsters. The future looks bleak, but there&#8217;s more to Eren than meets the eye: he may be humanity&#8217;s last hope against extinction. From the director of Death Note and High School of the Dead comes the series Anime News Network calls &#8220;an intense, visceral, and graphic thrill ride.&#8221; The Titans have come to feast. Anything can happen. No one is safe. - See more at: http://www.funimation.com/blog/?p=3598#sthash.DQELH0Yn.dpuf

edit: I haven't really thought of who would be a good voice actor for whom. I just hope Funimation doesn't hurt the dialog too bad, and that some lines are as powerful as they were in the sub. Also, I hope the voices are not too childish for some of them. This is what I fear most for Armin.

TheOGB

Banned
Oh shit, it's happening? :O

Have they revealed any of the cast yet?

Edit: read that again, they'll be rolling out announcements

Extremely disappointed with the series right now, I'm on episode 20. Cool premise, appropriately violent and ruthless, and with some truly awesome action.

Unfortunately it suffers from the same problems most mangas/animes of the kind do. It spends so much time reiterating the same shit, through different characters, and it seems to be happy beating the same drum. It effectively treats the audience as if we are brainless and need to be told simple shit time and time again.

I don't know how things progress, but I can't say the future seems bright. The mythology is taking quick turns for the worse, and it's becoming increasingly clear that these characters are going to remain caricatures drawn in broad strokes. Eren himself seems to be getting less interesting by the episode.

Oh snap!!! Please don't mess up voices, please don't mess up the voices.

Dubs suck hard, why do you even care? Things should be seen in their original form.

The spanish dub (only four episodes doen with four more coming in March) is pretty great. At least Eren sounds much better. And as it has the great Alfonso Valles as the voice acting firector (its the one that narrates the titles of the episodes right now) I hope his voice appears in a future character (it was our amazing Solid Snake in MGS1).

Another one of these really great mash-ups, this time with Smash Bros

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3KUZVkco4g

One of the best because:
1. All handrawn original animation
2. Uses the second OP. I love the first one, but theres not many parodies out there with the second one, and I love, love, love, the second one because of how triumphant it sounds and what it means in the second half of the series when you hear it for the first time.

Mononoke

Banned
Attack on Titan English Dub to premier at Anime Boston

edit: I haven't really thought of who would be a good voice actor for whom. I just hope Funimation doesn't hurt the dialog too bad, and that some lines are as powerful as they were in the sub. Also, I hope the voices are not too childish for some of them. This is what I fear most for Armin.

I'm going to watch the Dub, just because I'm caught up on the Manga, and Season 2 of the Anime has no ETA for release (they aren't even planning production for all of 2014). So why not? I just hope they don't mess up the VA cast.

Dubs suck hard, why do you even care? Things should be seen in their original form.

True, alot of dubs suck. But I am still interested in the project and how they present things. And who knows, they might knock it out of the park! I will always have the original subs to watch. And I will get to watch through all the episodes again :)

Dub haters are the worst type of anime fan, they do nothing but stir up shit. At least the people who watch terrible moeshit are usually positive.

I'd be shocked if this doesn't come to Toonami, should be good fun in the Toonami thread.

I prefer dubs in 99% of my foreign language media. FUNimation has never disappointed me with their dubs, especially Dragon Ball Z. Ocean did well with Code Geass. Cowboy Bebop and The Big O were also well done.

The only time I don't like dubs is when they severely curtail dialog or change the story, as has happened in the past with many of the Godzilla films (don't even bother watching the English version of Godzilla Raids Again).

Dub haters are the worst type of anime fan, they do nothing but stir up shit. At least the people who watch terrible moeshit are usually positive.

I'd be shocked if this doesn't come to Toonami, should be good fun in the Toonami thread.

It'll probably start airing on Toonami this summer.

I'll check it out, but it's always difficult for me to switch to a different language after already watching a show. The voice I heard first is ingrained as that character's voice in my head. That's why dubs usually sound awful to me if I've watched a series subbed first, and vice versa. I waited forever for FMA Brotherhood to be dubbed before watching it because I had seen the original series and movie dubbed, and I just couldn't adjust to the Japanese audio track. Same for Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail. I think my only successful transition was for Hajime no Ippo. I gave up hope on them dubbing anything beyond the first season, so I just forced myself to watch it subbed until it didn't bother me anymore

I think that's actually where a lot of dub hate comes from. People watch things subbed first, so of course it's going to sound wonky when you hear it in another language later. That's not to say that some dubs aren't just genuinely awful, but they're really few and far between. The average anime dub these days is perfectly fine.

Moaradin

This isn't the 90s anymore. Dubs are generally pretty decent these days. Funimation has made a lot of great dubs the past few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom