• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mononoke

Banned
Dub haters are the worst type of anime fan, they do nothing but stir up shit. At least the people who watch terrible moeshit are usually positive.

I'd be shocked if this doesn't come to Toonami, should be good fun in the Toonami thread.

I'm new to Anime (only been into it for a year now). So I don't really care one way or the other. Sometimes I've HAD to watch Dubs, as I couldn't get my hand on Subs. But honestly, some Dubs are really good. I think they are getting a lot better in the past 10 years (especially on the film side). I've seen films in both Subs/Dubs, and in some cases preferred the English dubs. Also, while I don't mind reading subtitles, I do think it's harder to take in the whole scene. I guess this is more of an issue with film where there is more depth/foreground/background and camera framing. It's still an issue I've found in animation. I feel that I get more out of the art when I'm listening to the language, vs having to read it too. There are also certain emotions that have more of an impact when you hear it in your language (this of course, is dependent on the voice acting though).

I wonder how this show will work. I feel like Eren's personality is really tied to the way he yells. I don't really think that will translate to someone yelling in English. I dunno.

Yawnier

Banned
I watch most (like 90%) of my shows in subs, but it will be interesting to see where this show goes with dubs given the people working on it. It has potential to be half decent at least.

english dub would be a good excuse for me to rewatch the entire season.

This is more or less how I view things.

Dub haters are the worst type of anime fan, they do nothing but stir up shit. At least the people who watch terrible moeshit are usually positive.

Dub haters are terrible. Not the worst type of anime fan though, the anime fans which take the nonsense about women/relationships they learn't from anime and try to apply it to real life are beyond compare.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Just finished this on Netflix. LOVED IT.

I'm normally not an Anime guy so I had never even heard of it until a month ago when I saw the manga at work. I read the back and thought it sounded interesting. Then I just happened to see it while surfing Netflix last weekend.

Finished this on Netflix a while back...

It got way too dark and such for me. Too much despair, not enough success and hope.

I fucking -loved- the infantry stuff though. The way the traversal was animated was top flight. Gimme that.

Keeping my fingers crossed that they'll get Yuri Lowenthal to play Eren in the dub. I think he could totally pull it off. Though as far as I can tell he's never actually done VA for a Funimation project before, so I won't get my hopes up too much. :(

I could also see Vic Mignogna (Edward Elric in FMA, Kurtz in Full Metal Panic, Junpei in P3) doing a pretty solid job, but I also feel it'd be kind of weird to hear him as the lead of a third smash hit shonen anime.

Anyway, regardless of who they choose, I'm sure it'll turn out great. Mike McFarland is heading this up, and he was the guy who was responsible for the dub of OG Fullmetal Alchemist, which was waaay ahead of other dubs at the time when it came to the quality of the voice acting. Hoping he can knock this one out of the park as well.

After months in limbo my hoody arrived...

lIWR9VC.jpg

...I'm never taking it off

ScOULaris

Damn. Just watched the first episode after coming across this thread and having heard good things from a co-worker, and I was very impressed! Looks like this will the first anime series I've watched in over eight years. Very much looking forward to seeing where it goes from that stellar intro.

It's got everything I could want: beautiful art/animation, solid writing, emotional/believable voice-acting, and a completely unique story and setting. Love it!

This show just never gives you the chance to hope. It is just continuous despair. Kinda refreshing. Really enjoyed the first season although I think some parts got lost in translation with the subs.

TUSR

Banned
fuck i started reading the manga last night where it takes off and realized one chapter in what I never did this before...

The manga is horribly drawn

The manga is horribly drawn

Yuuuup.

(inb4 "you just don't like the art style")

I finished the anime a few months back and tried transitioning to the manga but I just couldn't do it. Isayama's artwork wouldn't look out of place in a bad webcomic. It's a shame too because the few panels that are drawn well look damn good, but the artwork is just so sloppy for the most part. At least the anime delivers in that regard. The artwork in it is fucking great.

Though, putting aside my own issues with Isayama's artwork, I find it kind of inspiring that his series became such a huge hit despite the poor quality of the art. It'd be cool to see more work from dudes who, while they may not be the best artists, can come up with some really strong story concepts.

Sent

Yuuuup.

(inb4 "you just don't like the art style")

I finished the anime a few months back and tried transitioning to the manga but I just couldn't do it. Isayama's artwork wouldn't look out of place in a bad webcomic. It's a shame too because the few panels that are drawn well look damn good, but the artwork is just so sloppy for the most part. At least the anime delivers in that regard. The artwork in it is fucking great.

Though, putting aside my own issues with Isayama's artwork, I find it kind of inspiring that his series became such a huge hit despite the poor quality of the art. It'd be cool to see more work from dudes who, while they may not be the best artists, can come up with some really strong story concepts.

You're missing out. The story drives it.

You're missing out. The story drives it.

I was holding out on more anime episodes, but now that I'm hearing that there might not be any new ones until 2015, I'll probably pick it up again sometime soon. I doubt I'll be able to wait such a long time to continue the series.

ScOULaris

On episode 22 as of now... this show is freakin' nuts. The pacing is really drawn-out for a few episodes here and there, but when this show is on it's really great. My curiosity regarding the greater mysteries surrounding the origin and purpose of the Titans prods me to plow through one episode after another.

No Season 2 until 2015? That sounds horrible.

2015...?
Now I regret watching and finishing the first season.

I definitely enjoyed what I watched. It almost felt like part Berserk, part...FMA? I honestly don't even know. (It didn't quite hit the quality of those two for me, but it was enjoyable.)

Post-season thoughts (obvious spoilers):

But that god damn basement! It's still just there. Waiting.

I was kind of surprised that no one recognized Annie sooner as the female Titan. My first reaction was like, "Oh, hey. It's Annie!" At first I hypothesized that people in the inner walls were using the military police--the cream of the crop--in Titan experiments that lesser people would not be able to handle.

But then the person inside the female Titan managed to escape and kill others, making it clear that they she wasn't out of control like Eren was half the time. I had thought that someone would brainwash her into fulfilling a certain task and unleashed her when she transformed, and then removed her memories (like Eren's father did to him) when the task was completed.

It makes me wonder who Annie (and potentially her father?) are working for. The fact that her Titan completely resembled her seemed like it would make things hard to stay undercover. It also made me think back to the Armored Titan and how much I thought he looked like one of my favorite characters, Reiner. (Especially the hair.) He always looked older, so the timeline could work. But that would mean that he had been a Titan that entire time up until then. Was that the reason that Annie didn't crush him? Were they working together? They were always part of the same "social circle". I really hope he doesn't turn out to be a Titan.

Funimation just released a clip of the dub. It's the part in the first episode that depicts the Survey Corps (sorry–no Eren, Mikasa, or Armin) attacking a titan in the forest. Aside from an awkward-sounding line at the end, it sounds pretty good so far. The voice of Erwin is J. Michael Tatum and apparently the 3D maneuver gear is now called "omnidirectional mobility gear."

You can see it here, but you have to be a subscriber to their video service. It'll let you watch if you just sign up for the free trial though.

belushy

Banned
Funimation just released a clip of the dub. It's the part in the first episode that depicts the Survey Corps (sorry–no Eren, Mikasa, or Armin) attacking a titan in the forest. Aside from an awkward-sounding line at the end, it sounds pretty good so far. The voice of Erwin is J. Michael Tatum and apparently the 3D maneuver gear is now called "omnidirectional mobility gear."

You can see it here, but you have to be a subscriber to their video service. It'll let you watch if you just sign up for the free trial though.

Yeah, I expected weird translation, but I think "omnidirectional" is alright.

belushy

Banned
Funimation announced a few of the voice actors for the dub in a seperate article on their site. Still no Eren, Mikasa, or the rest of the main crew. They are releasing a batch of voice actors a day up until Anime Boston which is next week.

Link

First Batch

As we gear up for the Attack on Titan English Dub Premiere at Anime Boston next week, we’re rolling out our colossal cast list, one day at a time! So, take a look below at the first batch! Character – Actor
Keith – Patrick Seitz
Moses – Jeff Johnson
Erwin – J. Michael Tatum
Marco – Austin Tindle
Carla – Jessica Cavanagh
Grisha – Chris Hury
Hannes – David Wald

Second batch:

Jean - Mike McFarland
Sasha - Ashly Burch
Conny - Clifford Chapin
Anka - Jamie Marchi
Hanna - Tia Ballard
Gustav - Keith Kubal
Christa - Bryn Apprill
Ymir - Elizabeth Maxwell

Mononoke

Banned
Not really feeling the voice for Jean. I think it's awesome they got Tatum for Erwin (he was incredible as Okabe in Steins;Gate). He's actually the only person I like so far based on the Dub samples.

Really interesting they went with Ashley Burch for Sasha. I could totally see her as Sasha, just don't know if she has voice acting chops.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I never fully finished the anime but I have been reading the manga, did they end the anime on a very filler ending where if they do a season 2 they would have to act like the filler ending didnt happen?

JulianImp

I never fully finished the anime but I have been reading the manga, did they end the anime on a very filler ending where if they do a season 2 they would have to act like the filler ending didnt happen?

It basically ends moments after the
titan Eren vs titan Annie
battle. It doesn't revelal that
there's a titan inside the walls
in-episode, but rather as a stinger once everyone's out of the way and no characters are looking. They'll probably have to fix that little desynch with the manga for season two, but it's doable without bending things too much.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
in-episode, but rather as a stinger once everyone's out of the way and no characters are looking. They'll probably have to fix that little desynch with the manga for season two, but it's doable without bending things too much.

Well thats good.

Mononoke

Banned
Well thats good.

I found the ending in the Anime to be a let down. It felt like they were dragging their feet and there is stuff in the Manga that they left out (which were very important, and would have left people wanting more for Season 2). Instead they are going to shift that over to Season 2's first episode.

kirblar

I found the ending in the Anime to be a let down. It felt like they were dragging their feet and there is stuff in the Manga that they left out (which were very important, and would have left people wanting more for Season 2). Instead they are going to shift that over to Season 2's first episode.
They had to make that adjustment in order to make it work as a season finale. It would have made no sense to start bombarding the audience with new information and characters in the final episode that wouldn't be followed up on for at least a year and a half. They did a good job adapting to the constraints they had.

corn_fest

I don't remember exactly, but didn't the anime ending also include some sort of
weird super-saiyan fire mode
which doesn't appear in the manga? I wonder if or how they will address that.

Mononoke

Banned
They had to make that adjustment in order to make it work as a season finale. It would have made no sense to start bombarding the audience with new information and characters in the final episode that wouldn't be followed up on for at least a year and a half. They did a good job adapting to the constraints they had.

I disagree. There is nothing wrong with ending on a cliffhanger. The fight between Eren and Annie felt dragged out, and was unnecessarily meandering. Honestly, I was bored of the fight (the build up to it, and the actual fight sequence itself). It went on and on. Also, I don't see how having a shot of Hanji and Mikasa
scaling down the wall, as they see the Titan looking back at them, would be bombarding them with a bunch of information.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Second batch:

Jean - Mike McFarland
Sasha - Ashly Burch
Conny - Clifford Chapin
Anka - Jamie Marchi
Hanna - Tia Ballard
Gustav - Keith Kubal
Christa - Bryn Apprill
Ymir - Elizabeth Maxwell

Ashley from HAWP is Potato Girl?