• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

I'm one of the weird guys who prefers English voices so I am waiting lol.

I think BassForever is saying that if you don't really ever watch dubs because you prefer Japanese voices, commenting on particular voice actors or performances is a little open to question because of more unfamiliarity with that actor or their past performances.

Underlined is the assumption being made of course, and not necessarily true.

Levyne

Banned
Disclaimer: I don't watch subs, and haven't seen the show.

I think the dialogue is more off putting than the acting itself, which seems fine. Lady quipping about the titan being slow on the uptake, Levi quipping about the titan's face and the crybaby line. Unless it was always like that.

Mononoke

Banned
As someone who knows nothing about the show/characters I like most of the acting in the scenes shown so far, although some of the (what I assume are) side characters aren't as good.

Yeah I mean if you just view the scenes separate from the original, they are all good vocal performances. Usually I think it's bad to always compare to the original. If the performances are good in their own right, then the dubs are still great.

My only issue is that, I think the voice acting speaks to the characters personalities. So while I don't need the Dub voice acting to be 1:1 to the original, it's hard not to be let down when the tone is way off. Because I think it gives people a different impression of the character dialogue then what was originally intended.

I'm one of the weird guys who prefers English voices so I am waiting lol.
I would prefer english but they always come off as stale to me compared to originals. This sounds decent though. Some odd sounds but it might be just because it's my first time hearing it.

I honestly think Death Note was the only anime I preferred/didn't mind at all to watch in english.

There are good dubs, they're just few and very far between. I don't like the taste of Vodka remotely, but I can tell a good vodka from a bad vodka. Saying I don't have an opinion because you disagree with it is stupid and fanboyish.

And come on, Yuri Lowenthal isn't great, he's just more distinct than most VAs and has played a lot of likable characters. His main issue is the same one a lot of these guys run into, in that the first role you hear him in is his definitive role, just like Johnny Yong Bosch.

Everything you said is just wrong, bad dubs are few and far between, Yuri Lowenthal and JYB are both great VA. Do you have a problem when George Clooney or Brad Pitt plays a character in a movie? Or how about in Japanese when a Japanese va plays characters in different series and sounds the same? It's now who plays the part but how they play it that determines if the actor is doing a good job. Your comments just make it more and more obvious you just hate dubs and can't view them objectively good or bad.

I think the dialogue is more off putting than the acting itself, which seems fine. Lady quipping about the titan being slow on the uptake, Levi quipping about the titan's face and the crybaby line. Unless it was always like that.

It wasn't that way in the original. At least not from my subber. That's one of my biggest issues with dubs, especially FUNi dubs, in that they'll just add jokes in wherever they see fit. And for the most part that's not a big deal since their job is to localize it and as long as the story is getting told it's kind of irrelevant, but that's just so against the tone of the characters/scene/series that it feels mildly disrespectful and like you're getting a neutered product.

Everything you said is just wrong, bad dubs are few and far between, Yuri Lowenthal and JYB are both great VA. Do you have a problem when George Clooney or Brad Pitt plays a character in a movie? Or how about in Japanese when a Japanese va plays characters in different series and sounds the same? It's now who plays the part but how they play it that determines if the actor is doing a good job. Your comments just make it more and more obvious you just hate dubs and can't view them objectively good or bad.

That's the problem with both those actors, though, they play different characters but act them the same way over and over. There's no variety and that's a mark of a bad VA. As far as movie actors, I don't really give a fuck, because I don't really like movies or give them much thought. Japanese actors being the same is just as annoying, hearing Franky from One Piece do the same voice and character over and over sucks, but he's not a leading man and the anime VA industry in Japan is so much bigger that you'll rarely hear the same actor, and even if you do, it being in another language makes it harder, at least for me, to immediately recognize them as the same actor. And your comments make you seem like a blind dub defender who doesn't like people who disagree with him and tries to discredit their criticisms.

Seda

You mean: "Don't be scared big guy! I won't hurt you - cross my heart and hope to die!" isn't great dialogue?!

Mononoke

Banned
It wasn't that way in the original. At least not from my subber. That's one of my biggest issues with dubs, especially FUNi dubs, in that they'll just add jokes in wherever they see fit. And for the most part that's not a big deal since their job is to localize it and as long as the story is getting told it's kind of irrelevant, but that's just so against the tone of the characters/scene/series that it feels mildly disrespectful and like you're getting a neutered product.

Hanji is crazy, but her eccentricity is always underlined with a dark and almost demented personality. This is what I mean by tone. Hanji in the dub is really high pitched. It doesn't really match the personality. It makes her lines sound more arrogant than crazy.

Well, that character is a bit crazy. It's fitting dialogue for that character.

Dialogue sure, but not tone.

EDIT: well at least that specific scene. Still waiting to see more dialogue.

It's not on YouTube yet, but Funimation uploaded a clip of Armin, Reiner, and Annie. They all sound great. Probably the best voice acting they've shown so far. There was also some Jean and Mikasa in there. Jean's still meh, but Trina was nailing Mikasa imo.

Boom. Here you go.

Mononoke

Banned
It's not on YouTube yet, but Funimation uploaded a clip of Armin, Reiner, and Annie. They all sound great. Probably the best voice acting they've shown so far. There was also some Jean and Mikasa in there. Jean's still meh, but Trina was nailing Mikasa imo.

Boom. Here you go.

Yeah Trina's voice works, really glad about that. Armin at least sounds like the tone/style of the original.

Moaradin

Josh Grelle sounds good as Armin. Kinda expected him to play Eren though.. I'm guessing that's the last major character to be revealed?

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam

Boom. Here you go.
I thought the opposite - Jean was good and Armin was meh

Mononoke

Banned
I thought the opposite - Jean was good and Armin was meh

Jean sounds too old. I agree he sounds better in this clip though. His first clip was really bad. Armin always sounded bad to me though, if I'm being honest. If you've seen the original, I always hated how whiny he sounded (which I guess is a point to the character). SO, I think this is the best they could do, translating that voice over to English. Maybe they should have just went in a different direction like they did with Levi (making him all Manly/Burly).

All this said, I can understand why some would hate Armin. I don't mind him, personally. Is he great? No. But eh. Who do you guys think could have been better? (I'm not that good with voice actors).

Jean sounds fine to me, just right. Also, I liked Annie's voice in the clip.

Mikasa sounded good, too. And she sounded more emotionless in the new clip. I think it was just for that one scene she sounded really riled up and emotional, but for all the people complaining, she sounds more cold in this one.

I just hope Eren doesn't sound too old.

belushy

Banned
That clip was a lot better than the other stuff they've shown. All the characters sounded pretty good to me.

edit: Agreed with Mikasa sounding a lot better in this clip. That other scene was one of her more emotional scenes in the first season, so I think it is fine if she was a little over emotional, as long as she isn't like that throughout. Jean sounded a lot better too. Reiner, Marco and Annie all sound great. I also like Armin's and to be honest I kind of expected him to sound like that, too.

edit2: By the way, for those who who like seeing the VA's names, here is Batch 5

Reiner - Robert McCollum
Annie - Lauren Landa
Armin - Josh Grelle
Samuel - Dave Trosko
Thomas - Duncan Brannan
Tom - Tyler Walker
Wald - Barry Yandell
Woerman - Christopher Sabat

Jean sounds too old. I agree he sounds better in this clip though. His first clip was really bad.

I agree, but my main issue this that his acting so far is just bad. His delivery on the last two lines of his part in today's clip was pretty convincing, but otherwise I think he's easily the weakest of the main cast so far.

Surprised to see Armin's getting such mixed reception though (not just in this thread). Based on the clip, I think he's got the perfect voice and solid acting ability. I thought for sure they'd go with Greg Ayres, but I'm glad they chose someone less ubiquitous.

Ah, so Grelle is doing Armin. I wonder who's gonna be Eren then, I thought Grelle would.

I hope it's not Ayres. I like him, but his voice doesn't really fit Eren imo.

Gorillaz

Finally watched this show last month. WOW...it's crazy.

Quick thoughts because I don't really want to go into full depth after everyone has said everything here for the most part but I have this crazy feeling that the stuff that is used to create titans is connected to that of plant life.

Also I don't watch subs too often, actually almost never, but hearing that mikasa voiceover is strange. It's going to take a min to get use to everyone's voice in dubs.

edit: jesus that felt weird hearing all of them talk.....especially hange...Levi felt kind of on point tho. The script feels light for some reason tho

edit 2: Annie is probably the best one out of the group voice wise

Mononoke

Banned
I agree, but my main issue this that his acting so far is just bad. His delivery on the last two lines of his part in today's clip was pretty convincing, but otherwise I think he's easily the weakest of the main cast so far.

Surprised to see Armin's getting such mixed reception though (not just in this thread). Based on the clip, I think he's got the perfect voice and solid acting ability. I thought for sure they'd go with Greg Ayres, but I'm glad they chose someone less ubiquitous.

I guess the lesson learned here is, you can't make everyone happy when it comes to dubs lol. But you are right, it's not just that Jean sounds too old, it's how he delivers that feels off.

Moonlight

Banned
Jean still sounds a bit off. Marco sounds fine, and I like Armin. Trina sounds as great with Mikasa as I was expecting, and I'd have to hear more from Annie. Wasn't sure of my thoughts on her off those one or two lines.

Still need to learn who Eren is. That's pretty much make or break for me.

mrmickfran

At least Armin doesn't sound like a whiny bitch now.

Sorry, I just couldn't stand hearing his voice in the Japanese version >.<

Mononoke

Banned
Why are you guys judging the Mikasa VA off a scene where the character is unhinged?

Nothing else to do. All these are short examples, that are taken out of the context of the episode/series. It's unfair to judge anyone at this point based on these short samples. I think you can have a gut/knee jerk reaction to like the voice style (ie. how deep it is). But you can't really judge performance yet. We'll now in June whether these voice actors actually do a good job. And even if you aren't a fan of how a voice sounds, it doesn't mean the actor can't put in a great performance. I personally don't like Levi's voice, but that doesn't mean he won't have good voice acting.

Aw, I was hoping they were gonna release a clip with Eren today. I hope they don't make us wait too long for that. :(

I've had a few days to listen to the clips and the voices have all grown on me. I really like Jean and Annie.

Levi still sounds deep, but that was a battle scene, so he probably sounded more "badass" than he would will just normally talking. He'll probably sound more bored and monotone for the most part. I still think of Chrom though whenever I hear him.

Armin I was expecting Maxey Whitehead or a something, but Grelle's voice is good. I understood why they'd want him to be voiced by a male. He sounds young enough and is not too whiney.

Mikasa is great. Tough, but feminine. In Armin's clip she sounded cool and in control and I'm glad to hear Trina instead of Michelle Ruff or Tara Platt who I've heard one too many times.

Seems reasonable so far. I like Levi's voice, don't get the complaints.

Will depend how well they handle the dramatic scenes. That mikasa clip was a good start.

Mononoke

Banned
What a badass character. The dub sounds great and I know that voice (from Funimation DVDs I have?) :)

Now, I think the voice is maybe a bit too deep for Levi but the VA is fine. I don't see how anyone could hate on this.

Do you guys even remember how bad dubs were in the late 90s and early 00s?

Levi is probably the most popular character in the series. So it makes sense that people would be obsessed with who they got to play him. I agree the performance is good, but I feel like it's too deep and doesn't match Levi's personality. But of course I'll wait and see the other scenes before writing it off as a bad pairing. But yeah modern dubs are way better. They've made huge strides in the last 10 years (particularly in film dubs).

Finally catching up. I had been watching in real time for a while, but the absolute drag leading up to the recap episode got to be too much for me.

Starting episode 22 right now. It isn't as bad as that chunk of episodes before the series' midpoint, but the frequent flashbacks and the general sense of doing absolutely anything possible to avoid 1) advancing the story too quickly and 2) spending any money on animation outside of action sequences is still bugging the hell out of me. To say the show has pacing problems doesn't even begin to describe it. The five episodes leading up to this point could have easily been two and a half or three. The padding has no end. Christ, even during the big confrontation it had been building towards recently the characters keep stroking out and falling into flashbacks, replaying conversations we watched fifteen minutes ago.

I take it the manga isn't this frustrating? I certainly hope not at least.

Edit: Thankfully episode 22 was awesome, my favorite in a while. This is the kind of stuff that got me on board in the first place.

I like Bryce, I just imagine some people will be sick of hearing his voice as he's been in a lot of stuff recently. Though since I'm not really a fan of the other series that he's featured prominently in (Sword Art Online, Blue Exorcist), I'm not burned out on his voice like I am with Yuri Lowenthal, JYB, or Todd Haberkorn (the de facto Funi young boy voice)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom