• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mononoke

Banned
His voice sounds pretty good. Don't really like his "normal" talking voice though, kind of sounds a bit like Armin at certain points. But his voice sounds pretty good overall.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I like Bryce, I just imagine some people will be sick of hearing his voice as he's been in a lot of stuff recently. Though since I'm not really a fan of the other series that he's featured prominently in (Sword Art Online, Blue Exorcist), I'm not burned out on his voice like I am with Yuri Lowenthal, JYB, or Todd Haberkorn (the de facto Funi young boy voice)

From what I heard in the trailer, he wasn't too bad.
I just have a poor impression of him after Tales of Graces and SAO (where he plays an unlikeable shithead swordsman in both).

Moonlight

Banned
Took a listen and for all my doomsaying, it's not that bad. I'm glad he's trying to grit his voice up for a role, because I was afraid he'd tumble right into Kirito/Makoto Naegi territory.

I just have a poor impression of him after Tales of Graces and SAO (where he plays an unlikeable shithead swordsman in both).
True, I thought Kirito was a little shithead too haha.

But I liked how he sounded in Pokémon Origins, where he played Red, a totally awesome character. So I know Bryce has the ability to play a likable character.

Mononoke

Banned

Haven't finished SAO. Only 2 episodes in, but the character is likable in the Japanese version. Is he really that bad?

INB4 Kirito is a sh- oh wait.

Legit did not expect Bryce Papenbrook to be playing the lead in a Texas-based dub. Then again he did say he was a fan of AoT. I myself am looking forward to watching this in english for the first time.

Oh god. Makes me wonder if I should even finish it. Getting real tired of watching shows where I end up loathing the main character.

Don't. Even ignoring the main character being an overpowered marty stu, the plot takes a (bigger) nosedive in the second half, the villain is a joke, and the rest of the characters are archetypes with little development.

finish it. don't listen to the naysayers

Nope, listen to the naysayers.

I watched SAO just a week ago.

I didn't even think the opening episodes were particularly strong to begin with but.. holy fucking Christ does it still manage to do a nosedive...

It gets gradually worse and worse and then just takes a deep dive when the second half starts. The villain of the second half was one of the worst written characters I've ever witnessed. It's just fricking laughable how hard that author tries to make him evil.

Mononoke

Banned
Nope, listen to the naysayers.

I watched SAO just a week ago.

I didn't even think the opening episodes were particularly strong to begin with but.. holy fucking Christ does it still manage to do a nosedive...

It gets gradually worse and worse and then just takes a deep dive when the second half starts. The villain of the second half was one of the worst written characters I've ever witnessed. It's just fricking laughable how hard that author tries to make him evil.

Well, damn. I didn't love the first 3 episodes, but I enjoyed the premise for what it was. Kind of sucks to hear the plot takes a massive nosedivde in quality. =/ I guess ultimately, I should just decide for myself whether I like it or not. But honestly, I'm just at a point right now (in terms of free time, and being burnt out on getting burned on Anime that turns to shit), that I think I'll probably either pass entirely on SAO, or just wait another time before trying to finish it (maybe during the summer, when I have more free time).

Tuck

Another dub clip. This time it's Mikasa!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JiWNrCPJEE

She sounds great to me. Just perfect and how I imagined her to sound.

I'm not a dub hater by any stretch of the imagination, but she sounded off.

In japanese she is very monotone, but here she had a lot of emotion.

It may just be that I'm so familiar with the japanese that now the english sounds weird.

EDIT: Yeah not feeling the english VA at all. Weird.

Well, damn. I didn't love the first 3 episodes, but I enjoyed the premise for what it was. Kind of sucks to hear the plot takes a massive nosedivde in quality. =/ I guess ultimately, I should just decide for myself whether I like it or not. But honestly, I'm just at a point right now (in terms of free time, and being burnt out on getting burned on Anime that turns to shit), that I think I'll probably either pass entirely on SAO, or just wait another time before trying to finish it (maybe during the summer, when I have more free time).

I loved the first several episodes of SAO, but my god, after episode 10 I don't know wdf the writers were thinking. It also has one of the most shameful fan service scenes I have ever seen.

The solution: Watch Log Horizon Instead.

Do it....

Mononoke

Banned
I'm not a dub hater by any stretch of the imagination, but she sounded off.

In japanese she is very monotone, but here she had a lot of emotion.

It may just be that I'm so familiar with the japanese that now the english sounds weird.

EDIT: Yeah not feeling the english VA at all. Weird.

I loved the first several episodes of SAO, but my god, after episode 10 I don't know wdf the writers were thinking. It also has one of the most shameful fan service scenes I have ever seen.

Do it....

Thanks for the advice Tuck, I can always count on you. I'll check out Log Horizon now. I've heard a lot of good things about it, so I'll just watch that instead. :)

Do it....

Yeah the fan service is really obnoxious and something I really didn't actually expect for some reason. Probably because the show was so hyped or so. But when in the episode with that little girl and her pet dragon a... rape-flower monster attacks her with its tongues or whatever that was supposed to be. Just what. That should've been a warning but later on it gets super rapey for no good reason as well. During the 24th episode I was literally saying (and laughing) out loud "what the fuck am I watching..."
And I mean that in the most negative way.

That said @Azula, I'm still always supporting the idea of building your own opinion on the matter. In a way it's also nice to take apart the shitty shows. So if you actually got plenty time and not much to do you may as well continue.

Anyways, to me it's a mystery how that show could become a huge success. It's one of those shows where I don't care that people have different tastes and it's subjective. This show has simply garbage writing and nothing can make up for that.

Magwik

Banned
Not really feeling any of the dub voices yet. It's odd cause this is the first time where I think I actually prefer the Japanese voices with subs to a dub. Maybe giving it some time will change but idk

Dawg

I really love the opening tune and especially the credits. I'm at episode 6 now. I'm gonna avoid most of this thread but can someone quote me and answer me this:

I had the feeling it was sometimes chaotic with who was who. I remember the blonde lone wolf "bitch" who wasn't good as a team player during training. Then the titans attack again and Armin watches Erin die. Then after a while the other squad finds him and the girl with black hair is like "leave him" and they call her a bitch. Is she the same girl as the blonde? Was confusing.

And then the giant ate one of Erins friends which made him go berserk. Was the blonde guy Thomas. Was that the same guy from the third episode where Erin tries to get some tips how to balance himself? And then they go walk outside in the moonlight? I was thinking it was him but I remember him having a more "tough" voice and a little more beard/goatee and this blonde guy sounded less tough. Or was it a different voice actor? I really can't recall.

belushy

Banned
I really love the opening tune and especially the credits. I'm at episode 6 now. I'm gonna avoid most of this thread but can someone quote me and answer me this:

I had the feeling it was sometimes chaotic with who was who. I remember the blonde lone wolf "bitch" who wasn't good as a team player during training. Then the titans attack again and Armin watches Erin die. Then after a while the other squad finds him and the girl with black hair is like "leave him" and they call her a bitch. Is she the same girl as the blonde? Was confusing.

And then the giant ate one of Erins friends which made him go berserk. Was the blonde guy Thomas. Was that the same guy from the third episode where Erin tries to get some tips how to balance himself? And then they go walk outside in the moonlight? I was thinking it was him but I remember him having a more "tough" voice and a little more beard/goatee and this blonde guy sounded less tough. Or was it a different voice actor? I really can't recall.

The black haired girl is Ymir. She is also a bitch, but more bitch than Annie (the blonde haired girl your were talking about.)

Thomas was a secondary character that was in Eren's little group during that first assault before Eren is eaten by the titan. The first blonde haired guy that was giving him tips was Reiner.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
He actually means from a Rule 34 perspective. There is some disturbing stuff out there.

Dawg

The black haired girl is Ymir. She is also a bitch, but more bitch than Annie (the blonde haired girl your were talking about.)

Thomas was a secondary character that was in Eren's little group during that first assault before Eren is eaten by the titan. The first blonde haired guy that was giving him tips was Reiner.

Thanks! :D Now I'm not confused anymore ^^

Dawg

At episode 16 now and I really don't like the new intro and credits theme. I loved the previous themes but this stuff feels so generic and... just not that good compared to the original.

belushy

Banned
At episode 16 now and I really don't like the new intro and credits theme. I loved the previous themes but this stuff feels so generic and... just not that good compared to the original.

Bad opinion. :p JK

Opening 2 and Ending 2 are the best.

@DarkKyo Now that I think about it, I don't think I liked it at first either. It definitely grew on me though, obviously.

DarkKyo

Nobody likes it at first, but it grows on you quickly.

Tuck

Bad opinion. :p JK

Opening 2 and Ending 2 are the best.

@DarkKyo Now that I think about it, I don't think I liked it at first either. It definitely grew on me though, obviously.
Opening 1 was godly. Opening 2 was shit by comparison. Lost that epic feel.

Dawg

I'm allowed to talk about any episode from S1 without spoiler, right?

Because that female titan grabbing Reiner was a scary moment, damn, I really thought he died right there. He's one of my favourite characters so that was a really fucked up moment :(

Dawg

While I stil prefer the original, the new theme really knows how to give you goosebumps around 0:45. It starts off really patriotic so I tend to forget it gets really good around that part.

Gorillaz

Opening 2 grew on me. I liked it a lot because it represents a new age/hope for the survey corps, like this is there rebuttal, while Opening 1 was suppose to make the viewer feel that fear of the titans. I just love the whole cadence feel starting out in OP 2.

Opening 2 with ending 1 is my favorite combination

Dawg

Opening 2 grew on me. I liked it a lot because it represents a new age/hope for the survey corps, like this is there rebuttal, while Opening 1 was suppose to make the viewer feel that fear of the titans. I just love the whole cadence feel starting out in OP 2.

Opening 2 with ending 1 is my favorite combination

Yeah, the opening themes are really close for me but ending 1 was so much better. It had somewhat of a Mikasa feeling to it as well.

kmax

Just marathoned this show in a couple of days.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, how did I not watch this show when this aired. This show is epic beyond proportions. The story, the music, the setting, the action. What more could one ask for?

Season 2 can't come soon enough.

Dawg

Just marathoned this show in a couple of days.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, how did I not watch this show when this aired. This show is epic beyond proportions. The story, the music, the setting, the action. What more could one ask for?

Season 2 can't come soon enough.

I'm gonna start ep20 tonight, only a few eps left. I know I'll miss it when it's over :(

elty

Just started watching, Eren feels like another typical emo kid but Mikasa is <3.

I am at ep 9, slowing down so I won't finish it in a weekend :(

FluxWaveZ

I loved pretty much the whole thing, but episode 5 was probably my favorite episode. God, it was amazing. Perhaps its impact is a bit lessened because of events that occur later on, but that doesn't change how I felt when it was all going down.

elty

The scene at ep 7 where
the supply soldier hopeless clean a rifle to kill himself
is just sad....

I just finished ep 13, and I can only watch upto ep 16 and after that, it is 1 ep a week. Should I watch now or wait till each section is completed?

wmlk

Blitzed through the anime over the past week.

Episode 21, 22, and 23 are just...sogood.gif

I was impatient so I caught up now after reading the manga.

EYEL1NER

Blitzed through the anime over the past week.

Episode 21, 22, and 23 are just...sogood.gif

I was impatient so I caught up now after reading the manga.
I just watched all the episodes on Netflix Saturday. Pretty good show. Not looking forward to being compelled to buy the blu ray and all the manga now though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom