• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attention new & prospective Wii U owners who didn't own a Wii...

No More Heroes is one of the most enjoyable games I've played. I bought it at launch and got maybe a third through, was burnt out by the side missions and overall lackluster overworld. Picked it up again like 6 months later and blew through the rest, it just clicked so much more. Th story is fucking brilliant, insane and nonsensical, but totally self aware. Just hilarious. The game is style as substance.

That's probably the weakest list of third-party games that any console that didn't immediately die has ever had... If you own any other gaming system (console, PC, or mobile), its hard to imagine anyone having the time to get to any more than a few of these.

It's missing greats like Madworld, Fatal Frame 4/2 wiimake, Red Steel 2, and others that I'm sure will come to mind later. The Wii is a great, unique system with a lineup completely unique compared to the other consoles. And the availability of time for the person playing hardly has anything to do with the quality of the games they could be playing.

Wiiu dude
The OP was talking about Wii U owners having access to the orignal Wii titles :p

You need a really amazing PC for it to be worth it, though.
Oh definitely, but I have a decent PC so playing Galaxy 2 at 2560xwhatever(it's some weird resolution) is really something special. Of course, playing wii games on the Wii U is perfectly acceptable and better than nothing. Just hard to go back given I've played some of these wii games at such high settings.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I'm really shocked by this thread. Nintendo sold over a fucking hundred million Wiis. I kinda assumed everyone had one.

But yes, much better catalog than it gets credit for.

fred

That's probably the weakest list of third-party games that any console that didn't immediately die has ever had... If you own any other gaming system (console, PC, or mobile), its hard to imagine anyone having the time to get to any more than a few of these.

Most of those games you really need to play to appreciate them, the review scores should be ignored. You may think that's a weak list but once you get your feet wet they're surprisingly good.

There are plenty of hidden gems available for the Wii from third parties, and there are plenty that he's missed out, and a fair few there that I myself wouldn't have included in that list.

Zinthar

It's missing greats like Madworld, Fatal Frame 4/2 wiimake, Red Steel 2, and others that I'm sure will come to mind later. The Wii is a great, unique system with a lineup completely unique compared to the other consoles. And the availability of time for the person playing hardly has anything to do with the quality of the games they could be playing.

Time available to play games is often the limiting factor in what we get to play. I'm sure I would probably enjoy most of the games on that list somewhat if I could freeze time and play them. But otherwise it's more worthwhile to get to the very best games first.

Time available to play games is often the limiting factor in what we get to play. I'm sure I would probably enjoy most of the games on that list somewhat if I could freeze time and play them. But otherwise it's more worthwhile to get to the very best games first.

Suppose it just seems a bit silly to downplay some of the titles without giving them a play. What qualifies as the best is quite subjective. In any case, games like Fatal Frame, Madworld, and others are some of my favorite titles of the last generation. The wii has a lot of really quirky, unique retail 3rd party titles that are more often regulated to smaller scale, downloadable titles on the other consoles. Pandora's Tower in particular is such an offbeat, fully developed game that I was really happy to see made.

Zinthar

Suppose it just seems a bit silly to downplay some of the titles without having giving them a play. What qualifies as the best is quite subjective. In any case, games like Fatal Frame, Madworld, and others are some of the best titles of the last generation. The wii has a lot of really quirky, offbeat retail 3rd party titles.

If you've played every game on that list, then I'm guessing you (or whoever it is who played all of these) couldn't have had time to get to the 200+ games that scored slightly below average or better on PS3/360/PC over the past 7 years (it's actually probably well more than 200, but I haven't counted). And if you haven't played those, how do you know that these are among the best of the generation?

Lack of time dictates that at some point we have to make choices about what to play based on limited information. This is what drives me nuts when people unequivocally dismiss critical reviews as worthless.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
If you've played every game on that list, then I'm guessing you (or whoever it is who played all of these) couldn't have had time to get to the 200+ games that scored slightly below average or better on PS3/360/PC over the past 7 years (it's actually probably well more than 200, but I haven't counted). And if you haven't played those, how do you know that these are among the best of the generation?
Did I get you right - one should have played every game in some imaginary scoring metric to be able to comment if a game is worth playing?

Lack of time dictates that at some point we have to make choices about what to play based on limited information. This is what drives me nuts when people unequivocally dismiss critical reviews as worthless.
Critical reviews are not necessarily worthless. Just as positive reviews/opinions, a set which you just blatantly dismissed a few posts above.

Zinthar

Did I get you right - one should have played every game in some imaginary scoring metric to be able to comment if a game is worth playing?

No, you most definitely did not get me right -- I was dismissing the argument that you could only appreciate some of the mediocre Wii third-party games if you played them by logically extending that approach to the vastly stronger lineups available on other platforms. It would lead to absurd results because you'd never have time to play all of these games.

I was actually supporting the concept of relying, in part, on trusted critical opinions to weed out the truly must-play games from the ones that aren't really worth your time until you've exhausted your backlog of the must-play games. The list of third-party Wii games is incredibly weak because there's nothing essential on it.

No, you most definitely did not get me right -- I was dismissing the argument that you could only appreciate some of the mediocre Wii third-party games if you played them by logically extending that approach to the vastly stronger lineups available on other platforms. It would lead to absurd results because you'd never have time to play all of these games.

I was actually supporting the concept of relying, in part, on trusted critical opinions to weed out the truly must-play games from the ones that aren't really worth your time until you've exhausted your backlog of the must-play games. The list of third-party Wii games is incredibly weak because there's nothing essential on it.

You're dismissing games recommended to you as mediocre based on what criteria? If you like metacritic and meaningless numbers most of the games listed were scored in the high 70s/80s which is quite good. The list isn't weak, and quite a few of the titles stand as "essential" for horror/jrpg fans. One would consider a title as essential based on personal opinions of the mechanics compared to other games in the genre no?

I wasn't really saying you had to play every one, but you were dismissing every title listed as mediocre with absolutely no criteria set. The Wii's 3rd party exclusives are truly that, unlike the 360/ps3 where most 3rd party titles are available on multiple platforms/pc.

kazebyaka

Banned
Since when does Wii have amazing backlog? There are maybe 5 or less than 10 good games for it. Just play Zak & Wiki and Mario Galaxy 1,2 and forget Wii ever existed.

p.s: and don't forget about Disaster: Day of Crisis, my personal favorite.

D-e-f-

Banned

Is it? If you place value exclusively on fancy, high end presentation then maybe yea.

I'm really shocked by this thread. Nintendo sold over a fucking hundred million Wiis. I kinda assumed everyone had one.

But yes, much better catalog than it gets credit for.

Bitter "hardcore" gamers held out because "lol SD!" "lol no cheevos!" and "lol dat 'online'" and "lol dat waggle gimmick!"

That's the 50mil that's missing from the PS2 LTD.

Since when does Wii have amazing backlog? There are maybe 5 or less than 10 good games for it. Just play Zak & Wiki and Mario Galaxy 1,2 and forget Wii ever existed.

lol

DrPreston

I'm only interested in Wii games that can be played with a classic/pro controller. The Wiimote/Nunchuck just piss me off. I couldn't even finish Super Mario Galaxy because the motion control segments are so terrible.

D-e-f-

Banned
I'm only interested in Wii games that can be played with a classic/pro controller. The Wiimote/Nunchuck just piss me off. I couldn't even finish Super Mario Galaxy because the motion control segments are so terrible.

You cannot play Wii games with a Pro Controller.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
No, you most definitely did not get me right -- I was dismissing the argument that you could only appreciate some of the mediocre Wii third-party games if you played them by logically extending that approach to the vastly stronger lineups available on other platforms.
Huh? You could appreciate a game, mediocre or not, only if you have played it. You cannot appreciate games you have not played. You may hold arbitrary opinions of them (just like your 'weak wii 3rd party lineup, vastrly stronger linups on other platforms'), based on what somebody else said of them, or based on a whim, but that's just that - opinions based on no experience with the game.

Having said that, your opinion of reviews and player's time is clear enough - people use reviews to gauge the potential enjoyment they'd have from individual entries from an otherwise vast set of offerings. Herein lies a fundamental issue, though - what reviews does one trust? If a fellow gaffer said that games X, Y and Z are worthy of your time (if you're into the respective genres, naturally), and that opinion contradicts with what some review site said of those games, do we discard said gaffer's opinion? What if said gaffer could provide a cohesive backup of his opinion, because, just imagine, he's played those games?

How do you know that?

It hasd the 2nd-best 3rd party game of the generation :/

PetrCobra

- says the Wii has hardly any good games
- lists a glorified hit-and-miss minigame collection as his personal favorite

Ironic.

The Wii BC and the Virtual Console along with the launch lineup really kept me busy during the first half lull this year. I never agreed with the "no games" accusation because the U was constantly providing me with great stuff to play.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The Wii had a much better library than people give it credit for. I'm sure many would scoff but I think overall it housed Nintendo's best first party efforts since the SNES.

The Boat

It's sad that these ridiculous notions that Wii had very little good games still exist. If you care about games and have an open mind, there's a great and fairly large library of really cool games. But alas, only "AAA" blockbusters are worth some people's time.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
The Wii had one of the best libraries of games ever as far as im concerned, and its definitely the most overlooked. Tons of awesome games came out on the system (and it was in my opinion the best 7th gen console by quite a margin).

Top Bottom