• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AudioGAF, lend me thine ear!

Greetings AudioGAF, I have a slight dilemma that I'd love some assistance and opinions on.

I'm pretty big on couch gaming, and don't have a legitimate PC gaming setup, I usually use my mouse and keyboard from my couch, both of which are wireless, and I couldn't be happier with the experience, most of the games I play I end up using a Dualshock 4, life is good. However! When I'm on my Playstation, I can just plug my Koss Portapros into the controller, and push all the audio through that. This doesn't work on the PC. So I'll run down some potential thoughts/options.

My motherboard has built in sound features, and amplification is supposed to be pretty nice, so I was thinking about getting a decent set of headphones, and just running a cable across the floor. The headphones in mind are the Sennheiser HD 598's. The downside being that I've got a wire running along the floor.

Another option I think is on the table, is using my computer to push bluetooth to a receiver, and plugging my headphones in through that. I don't get the amplification, but I could net some versatility when using it with other devices like mobile phones and such. And no cable.

I could also get something like the Sony Wireless Golds, where I can beef up the audio experience a bit on the PS4, and use the wireless dongle for PC gaming. Audio quality is a sacrifice over the Sennheisers, but the sound profiles are cool, and they're relatively affordable. Another side feature that could be useful at times is the built in mic.

Bluetooth headphones could be a possibility as well. But I don't know much about the quality.

At this point, I'm leaning on the Sennheisers with the cable, but only because I really want them and I feel like I would be taking advantage of what my motherboard is offering. It's not really logic based past that point. I'm not an audiophile by any means, but I do prefer the sound of an open eared headphone, and considering the time I play games 10PM - 12/1 a.m. I don't think I'd really get to appreciate amplification as the volume levels are sufficient at a lowish setting.

Sorry for a post that's all over the place, and thank you for any potential advice and insight.

Just to tack onto this question: Does motherboard audio out still have that "Bzz- bzzzz- bz" sound they used to? I used to use headphones on my old old computer (built in 2003), and I could hear buzzing whenever I used a mouse. I've read that mobo audio out has improved a lot since then, but I've also read that a good sound card can make a big difference, so I don't know wtf to think.

vanty

Just to tack onto this question: Does motherboard audio out still have that "Bzz- bzzzz- bz" sound they used to? I used to use headphones on my old old computer (built in 2003), and I could hear buzzing whenever I used a mouse. I've read that mobo audio out has improved a lot since then, but I've also read that a good sound card can make a big difference, so I don't know wtf to think.

My headphones connected to the back panel have no buzzing at all but there's definite buzzing if I connect to the front headphone jack. That may be due to the case being a reasonably old Antec 300, a newer, better quality case shouldn't have so much of an issue I'd assume.

Top Bottom