• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Audiophile GAF

Ironbunny

How do you like the HD800s? I don't think i've ever listened to a headphone that cost over a $1k. That combo must sound godly.

Love on the first note :messenger_beaming: I hate the HD800 but S fixed everything what was wrong with it. 800S is now my endgame heaphone. I like the wide soundstage and articulation it has. In all everything just sounds so unmuffled with it. Highly recommend testing it if you get a chance. Beyerdynamic DT 880 & AKG 712 PRO are budget version of it.

For anyone interested, here is a review I have done for the iFi Zen One Signature.

iFi Zen One Signature Review

Disclaimer: iFi provided the Zen One Signature for review and it is to be returned.

The iFi Zen One Signature is a new multi-input DAC from iFi, and fits in the upper end of the Zen range, being a signature model.

Physical Appearance

Upon opening the box, you get to see the trademark ‘Zen shape’, with its unique shape in the world of often square Hi-Fi, possible due to being a single extruded piece of aluminium. The case is a few mm thick which gives it a nice weight, making it feel like a nice heavy hitter and up to any job. The colour range differs to the normal Zen range, and it looks good, with its dark blue case, and black facia, with blue buttons; I have to admit, I prefer this colour scheme over the normal Zen range, as it looks more premium and fits in with my other black bits of kit, and you can see why it used in the Signature range.

IMG_20220707_171255.jpg

Black and Blue vs Grey and Silver

The front is adorned with three pushbuttons and two windowed cut-outs for information through lights. The pushbuttons are for power, input selection and then a dual function button, which enables Bluetooth pairing and also enables the LEDs to be turned off (for me this defeats a useful feature, but I do see how it benefits those who don’t like their kit to be lit up like a Christmas tree); when the lights and you look at straight on, it reminds me of a droid from Star Wars.

IMG_20220707_171145.jpg

I'm waiting for this droid to beep at me!

You can see that the facia is the same template as that used by the Zen DAC, with the central window where the volume knob would be and the other window where the balanced headphone jack would be.

Connectivity / Functionality

On the front there are no connections, as it does not contain a headphone amp as it is purely a DAC. At the back of the DAC, there are a multitude of connections. There is the barrel jack for the 5V supply (which is supplied in the box), a connection for the Bluetooth aerial, then the USB 3.0 type B, optical and coax inputs. For the analogue output signal there is a choice of the usual RCA line out and also a balanced 4.4mm pentaconn connection; the addition of a balanced output is usually reserved for more expensive kit, but iFi include it on quite a bit of kit which doesn’t cost the earth (see the excellent Zen DAC, which has a balanced headphone output and a balanced fixed level output). Unfortunately, I don’t have anything to plug the balanced line out in to, the Zen Can is still on my shopping list with other items ahead of it, so will have to make do with the standard output.

IMG_20220707_171202.jpg

Plenty of Inputs

The Zen One comes with a suitable USB cable and a pair of interconnects, so that it can be hooked up to a source and amp straight of the box.

Bluetooth pairing is straight forward, just press the pairing button for a few seconds, and then find the Zen One on your Bluetooth streaming device. In my case, I paired my phone in seconds, and it remembers it with no issues, connecting pretty much straight away even after the Zen One has been turned off. According to the iFi, it remembers 8 paired devices, I haven’t tested this, as I don’t have 8 Bluetooth streamers, when paired to a ninth device, the oldest device in the paired list is removed. The Bluetooth connection is rock solid, as I was able to move two rooms away and it was still connected streaming my music from my phone without issue; so, the connection is far better than the Go, but I do recognise that the Zen One has an external antenna and is not powered from a small battery, so should be better. The Zen One is compatible with numerous Bluetooth codes, including aptX HD, aptX adaptive, LDAC and LHDC amongst others.

As the Zen One is a DAC, then as part of its connectivity, it must be able to handle multiple digital formats and modes, of which the list seems ever growing. According to the manual, it handles the following formats (not counting the numerous Bluetooth formats) PCM/HWA, DSD, MQA and Original sample rate; and handles the following frequencies / modes, PCM 44.1/48/88.2/96/176/192/352/384kHz, DSD 64/128/256. So as you can see, I think it handles pretty much anything currently being thrown around the digital audio world.

Now, this where the LEDs come in. On the front, there are actually two LEDs; one which is just a colour changing window, and the other is the central window that contains the iFi logo (it isn’t just to identify the manufacturer. These LEDs adjust depending on what it is being fed. The smaller window colour represents the frequency / mode of the signal, whilst the main window (with the logo) also changes colour to represent the format of the file. As such, these LEDs allow you to see what is being fed to the Zen One, although if you are like me, remembering which colour means what is difficult, and will have you digging for the manual. Whilst a digital display could provide this info and save you having to remember / look up the colour code scheme, it just adds to the complexity of the design (and likely cost), so the LEDs are more than adequate, maintaining a simple design, allowing the DAC to focus on what its job is.

Speaking of simplicity, switching sources is a manual affair, which requires you to get up and press a button. I can see some asking for a remote control, allowing sources to be switched from the comfort of your seat, and one would have been handy whilst I was testing / demoing the device. However, as before, it just adds complexity and more cost. Also, I have enough remotes in my setup, so not adding to the collection is always desirable. In addition to this, you have to ask, how often would actually need a remote be used for this device. For normal sessions, I could see a remote getting little if any use, as I would likely have to get up anyway if I was changing sources, so I think iFi have made the right choice here by omitting a remote control.

Listening

For my review I have used the Zen One with three devices. The first my Raspberry Pi 3B+ Streamer via USB, a Raspberry Pi4 streamer via USB and my Onkyo CD player via optical SPDIF; the Zen One feeds into my Yamaha AS-501, which drives my Kef R3’s. To make things more interesting I have been able to test the Zen One against other DACs for the same source. On my Pi3B+, I have a Hifiberry DAC+Pro hat, which I have configured to simultaneously output music via the hifiberry DAC and the USB. On the CD player, it can output a digital or analogue signal, so I connected the Onkyo to the Zen One via Optical SPDIF and used the internal DAC to feed an analogue signal direct to my amp. In addition to the above, I also used my Pi4 just using the USB output (as this is deemed cleaner than the 3b+) and was able to synchronise the two PI’s via Logitech Media Server such that I could flick between players on my amp. Doing this, I have been able to easily A/B test the Zen One against other DACs using the same sources. Music varied from CDs, Spotify, local MP3’s (of varying rate) and local FLACs, and have tried different genres, from acoustic to hip-hop, from grunge rock to DnB. My amp is a Yamaha AS501 paired with Kef R3’s (lets just say I have been doing a lot of flicking back and too between sources during my time with the Zen One).

Using the A/B testing as noted above, there is a difference between the different DACs, but this is not a huge difference, just a subtle one (to me anyway), but I wasn’t expecting a huge gulf in the differences, as I am a strong believer that DACs, if properly implemented, do not have too much influence on the sound.

With the Zen I found that the music sounded cleaner, almost more clinical or precise, with more separation between the instruments, such that they give a nice clear definition of their individual notes as opposed to more of a blurred sound. As previously noted, these differences were only minor, not jaw dropping ‘wow, what an improvement’ difference. Now this difference might be more pronounced to others, and they could easily tell them apart without A/B’ing them, but with my untrained ear I cannot. If I walked into the room and didn’t know which DAC was being used, I would not be able to say which DAC was being used, I could only tell them apart when doing critical listening focussing on details and switching between the DACs.

When I did manage to do some critical listening, there is no perceivable noise during or in-between tracks, which probably helps with the cleaner sound, as the signal being delivered to the amp is likely to be cleaner, which obviously improves the output of the amplified signal to the speaker. So, there is an improvement, but this is far smaller than improvements that can be made from a change of the speaker or room treatment etc, so the price at first seems a bit high based on the level of improvement. However, when you factor in the functionality (multiple inputs and Bluetooth), the design and build quality, along with the level of improvement, then it is more than reasonable, and I can see myself buying one in the future once other parts that are higher up the wanted list have been bought.

Conclusion

So, after an extended play with this little device, I have to say, iFi have another great product in their ranks. Multiple connections, can handle pretty much any format you can throw at it, is well built, has the instantly recognisable design and above all else, provides a solid listening experience allowing you to sit back and just enjoy your digital collection or stream of music. What more could you ask for.

And now here is one for the iFi Go Blu

Disclaimer: iFi have lent me the Go Blu for review and it has been returned.

Physical Appearance

On getting the Go Blu and opening the packaging, the first thing you notice is how small and light the device is; think the size of a small box of matches. As per iFi’s usual standard, the construction of the Blu appears to be top notch, using what appears to be a combination of a brushed metal plate and plastic (the website states it uses polymer). This polymer is a matte finish giving it a more expensive appearance than cheap shiny plastic, whilst it probably makes it far more robust, as it feels like the Blu could withstand some abuse without breaking. The buttons are metallic and are recessed, improving the streamlined look of the device, whilst also reducing the potential for inadvertently pushing them whilst the Blu is on your pocket. The volume wheel has two functions, firstly to change volume obviously, but secondly it cleverly also incorporates a push button in the centre face, allowing for some control of the playback device, e.g. push once to stop / play the music. Whilst I like the idea of the volume knob with its incorporated button, it doesn’t quite feel like it’s up to iFi’s usual robust construction standard, as the wheel does have some play in it, unlike the volume knob on the Zen DAC which is rock solid and has no play in it all. How robust this volume wheel is remains to be seen, but I trust iFis build quality, and have to assume it is far more secure than it feels.

Additionally, due to the volume knob protruding from the edge of the casing it does introduce a snagging point which could potentially lead to damage, although I would assume it would need a fairly significant force to actually damage it, although I was not going to test that theory. Another downside to the protruding volume knob is sudden volume changes; this is possible as I have nearly deafened myself more than once when removing the Blu from my pocket. This could easily be rectified by having the volume knob so it does not protrude from the outside of the case or a volume lock.

The Blu has a microphone built in so the device can be used with your headphones to make calls on your phone, which is pretty smart, and when I have used the feature, I got no complaints from the other person over the quality of the call. However, I feel the position of the mic could perhaps be improved. It is currently located on the opposite end of the Blu to where the headphone jacks are. Whilst this might not seem like an issue, if the Blu is in your pocket or on your desk, it is likely the headphone jacks will be pointing towards your head, which means that the mic is pointing away from your head and subsequently away from your mouth. Additionally, the Blu has no means of allowing it to be attached to you, such that it has to go in your pocket, again, reducing the effectiveness of the mic, and makes for adjusting the volume slightly more difficult. However, iFi have said that they are working on a clip case which will address this issue. A lanyard would probably be the best method, allowing you to use short wires to the headphones, whilst allowing easy access and being in close proximity to the mic.

Connectivity

Firstly the Blu is designed to allow your wired headphones to be used with wireless audio transmitters or devices without a standard headphone jack, which it does. It even allows for the use of balanced headphones as it incorporates a balanced 4.4mm jack as well as a standard 3.5mm jack. The Blu uses Bluetooth v5.1, and allows for multiple codecs to be used, from your standard SBC and AAC through to Aptx HD, LDAC and LHDC. Pairing to a device is quick and simple, and pretty solid, and remembers previously connected devices, such that I can leave it off over the weekend, and as soon as I turn on the Blu on the Monday morning, it immediately pairs with my phone.

Connectivity for the majority of time works well, however, there were instances of signal loss. If the Blu is in one pocket and your phone in another, then occasionally the signal would momentarily be interrupted. Also, if the Blu is in your pocket and the phone is on a surface a few feet away, then depending on your body position (i.e. if your body is between the Blu and your phone) signal loss would again occur. However, on the whole when not too far away and a good line of sight between the devices, then the signal remains solid.

Listening

For my review I have used the Blu with my Philips X2-HR’s (unbalanced) and my Audio Technica AT-MSR7b’s (both balanced and unbalanced), listening to Spotify and local media (320kbps MP3’s and FLAC). The Go has been used with my laptop (via USB and Bluetooth) using Squeezelite-X and my Oneplus 7 (via Bluetooth) using Foobar and Poweramp.

Firstly, this little thing packs a punch for such a small device, driving both of my headphones easily (granted they are not too difficult, however it does get them loud, too loud for comfortable listening). There seems to be no difference between volume levels from the Blu when using in USB or Bluetooth mode.

Whilst listening to the Blu in the various configurations as noted above, I have been impressed with how it sounds. I have compared it to my Zen DAC, which is used with the same headphones and Squeezelite-x on my laptop; for the music that I play, lets just say I cannot tell the difference which device is driving my headphones (apart from the volume goes even higher on the Zen). This is testament to the device that iFi have developed, in that a small wireless device can keep pace with my desktop DAC amp for my music.

Obviously for higher quality music, the Zen DAC should be the preferred option given its improved capabilities, but it is a desktop DAC. However, the DAC in the Blu is capable of handling 24-bit/96KHz files, which is not to be sniffed at and is the same resolution as the popular Audioquest Dragonfly devices, and to be honest I have tried tests between Hi-Res files, FLAC and lossy files and I struggle to differentiate between them, perhaps it’s my gear, perhaps it’s my hearing, but the main thing is that I can listen to the music and tap my feet or nod my head to the beat.

The Blu has provided me some long sessions whilst working at my desk, and has handled some varied genres (think indie, rock, DnB, acoustic, hip-hop, grime, etc.) and in this time, it hasn’t failed to impress me, I have nodded along to the music, and I’ve not had to remove my headset to take a break from the music. It presents the music well, providing a nice clear, clean output, and lets the headphone sound signature be heard.

The Blu goes one step further than my Zen, in that in addition to having a bass button (XBass on the Blu and Truebass on the Zen) it also has XSpace. The Blu allows you to apply just XBass, just Xspace or both XBass and XSpace at the same time, and has a small LED that changes colour to indicate which mode it is in. As I like my bass when listening to some dance music, I always pop on the truebass on my Zen, so on the Blu I went with the XBass, however, as I was reviewing the Blu, I thought I would try the other modes. Both modes are subtle, but do add to the music, and since trying the combined Xbass & XSpace mode, I haven’t really deviated from that mode, as it just adds that little bit something to the music.

General

The main feature of the Blu is that it allows you to use your favourite wired headphones with devices that have no headphone jack but have Bluetooth (like most mobile phones these days) and you do not need to have a dongle sticking out of the phone or have the headphones connected to the phone itself. This is helpful, when your phone is tucked in a tight pocket with not much space, so you can easily tuck the Blu in a different pocket. The ability of the Blu to be used as a USB DAC is an added bonus, and a welcome one at that when you have a laptop which only has older Bluetooth versions.

When the battery starts to drop low, the LED light does change red, but as the Blu might be in your pocket the LED is useless, so iFi have thought of this and the Blu therefore gives you an audible warning. Be warned, that when it gets low, the battery does seem to die pretty quickly, however, from a fresh charge, it has no issue lasting all day when listening at normal levels. If it does die, then charging does not take too long, and if it’s plugged into a computer to charge, then you can still use it whilst it charges, so you are not without music. The Blu does seem expensive, especially when you can get the Zen DAC V2 for less, but that doesn’t have the wireless ability. You could get some wireless headphones, like the Sony WH-1000XM4, for not much more, which are totally wireless, but if you have a few sets of headphones do you need even more to add to the mix, when the Blu can make all your other headphones (semi) wireless, allowing you the freedom of which pair to wear to match the environment and music you are listening too. In addition, will the DAC in these wireless headphones be better than the Blu? I’m guessing not.

I have enjoyed my time with Blu, yes it has some minor niggles (some are just personal niggles and might not affect others), but it is well built, sounds good and gives you options. I now have the dilemma of do I buy one? I need a second DAC for when I am in the office, as currently I have the Zen DAC for use when working at home. I don’t want to be carrying it with me to the office. I could buy a second Zen (even get the V2) for less than the Blu, but then I will lose the main feature of the Blu, in that I can listen on the go. However, my ‘on the go’ is infrequent, and I do have wireless buds which are better when I’m doing manual jobs in the garden etc. as I have no wires what-so-ever to catch on anything. I think if I used public transport regularly for my commute, then the Blu would be a no brainer, as I could listen whilst on the go and when I am in the office and sat at my desk, but I drive to work, so the main feature is generally wasted on me. However, I know if I go for the dedicated desktop DAC/amp, I will miss the mobile feature for the rare occasions when I could do with it.

Given the above, if you need the portability, then without doubt the Blu is a worthwhile purchase, it allows you to use your favourite wired headphones away from your desk (or at different desks if you hot-desk) using the latest Bluetooth codecs, and provides solid performance. For those that do not need the portability or do not need to lug around their DAC then it perhaps is not as useful. However, it has to be remembered that it isn’t being touted as a desktop DAC/amp, but as a credible solution for allowing your wired headphones to be used with devices that are not compatible (like the majority of mobile phones), the ability to also act as a desktop USB DAC /amp is just an added bonus.

I took another leap of faith and ordered the Metrum Acoustics Jade. Long time in the making because much thought went into this purchase. Years, actually. In theory it should take my stereo to new avenues.

Review once you’ve had some time with it pls.
Sure thing.

I'm keen on hearing the gulf in difference. Expecting way more depth and layering in the presentation and a lot more transparency.

Initially, I wanted to get the Mytek Brooklyn Bridge and hit two birds with one stone, a steamer, dac, but my gut instinct says that I need to stick with boutique manufacturers.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Hmmm I kinda want one. I've been using the same cheapo no-name bt speaker for my bubblebaths/outdoor gatherings since like 2015... I should upgrade soon

I have a buddy that started up his own speaker business when he got laid off due to Covid. I picked up his first design he put out and now that's what I use for gatherings, etc. If I am kayaking, then I take a tiny, waterproof JBL speaker. I am surprised out how good a lot them are nowadays. I wouldn't use them for critical listening but they do the job.

Do you have a loudspeaker set-up or mostly headphones?

teezzy

Banned
Heard the dude in the that video above mention the Sony speaker seems overpriced for what it is. Saw him name drop W-King as a superior alternative. Not overly familiar with bluetooth speakers... but this one seems worthwhile and then some

Hmm... half the price too

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Heard the dude in the that video above mention the Sony speaker seems overpriced for what it is. Saw him name drop W-King as a superior alternative. Not overly familiar with bluetooth speakers... but this one seems worthwhile and then some

Hmm... half the price too

That reviewer looks like Kevin Smith.

teezzy

Banned
Okay so for like $100 (after Amazon coupon applied) this W-King D10 seems like a winner for sure

I'm always skeptical of Youtube reviewers like this because you never know if they're having affiliate links and all sorts of garbo influencing their opinions

From what I can tell... it's loud. Seems like bass is more than competent and mids and highs are very clear for within its price range. Lots of comparison to JBL devices which seem to cost twice as much.

What i like most though is the build. Very sturdy with a handle and those big ass buttons. I like those buttons. No BS. Tactility is vital. I respect big buttons :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned

Okay, I gotta just give in and buy it already 😩

EDIT: this was the best review I found. Always trust black anime fans. It actually seems to sound damn clean from this video

Last edited:
jSVZrt0.jpg

7XJD6TE.jpg
;
nHEbl0q.jpg

Current audio setup:
- DAC: NuForce uDAC-3
- Turntable: Dual 1246 with Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge
- R2R: Akai GX-225D (needs a recap it started to act up a bit recently, glass and ferrite heads-so it sounds brand new- unwearable heads)
- Tape-deck: Toshiba PC-X10M
- Main amp: Yamaha A-960II (preparing for recap -exploding RIFA oil paper caps in the power section - all five of them, they started to break, glass is craked on all five of them :messenger_fire:)
- Back-up amp: Hitachi HA-330 (currently in use -inverted Darlington circuit)
- Loudspeakers: SABA CE 9596 (Unitra Tonsil ZgC 65-8-565 - Polish Vintage set from 1980s, especially made for French market, export only, coil ventilation in the back of the magnets in both woofers)
- Loudspeakers (2): Yamaha NS-670 (cloth threaded surrounds - current status in repairs - shifted magnet, the "magnet" is opened up already in the repair shop, unmagnetized, front and back plate and pole piece unglued, spider unglued in one piece - untouched cloth surrounds)
- Headphones: Ultrasone HFI-580 (S-logic sounds amazing - I'm tempted to use them with PS5 3d audio if I will finally grab a PS5)

The plan is for A-960II to play with NS-670s - I love Yamaha Natural Sound. It should honestly drive two sets of speakers no problem, it's 100-120wpc amp from 1983.

Both of my loudspeakers have closed (sealed) cabinets. And recently I've been experimenting with Visaton polyester wool damping in my Saba's + felt mat but it was a bust, regular felt is really not good material - I tried to copy Yamaha damping materials and it didn't go so well.

Yammies have this special felt mat its like wool or needle felt with low density. So I switched to polyester wool only.

I tried to put in lots of this stuff in my Saba's because I read somewhere the more you put in the better (in a sealed box that is) - but then the coil ventilation was not working properly in woofers and also something didn't sound quite right, then I switched to 3 mats + did all sides with this stuff inside the cabinet. Did a lil ventilation space for woofers. Yet still something didn't sound quite right. I opened an online hz generator and to my surprise there was this "hole" in frequency response 100 to 300hz.

Took out one mat yesterday, redid the testing today - and got a really good frequency response :messenger_sunglasses:. So 2 mats on the back and 1 mat on all the sides.

So my advise if anyone has a sealed box and wants to dampen the thing. Use only damping materials made especially for loudspeakers and put in less and use the online hz generator to check in stuff otherwise you will feel that something is off... :messenger_bicep:

I have some videos of my set pumping if someone is curious how vintage really sounds ;).

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I'm looking to upgrade my sub in my home theater system. I've currently got a Polk psw505. Not bad at all but I was looking for something with a bit more frequency range and clarity. I was thinking of an SVS PB1000 pro. Reviews seem good from what I've seen. Any gaffer with experience with it?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I'm looking to upgrade my sub in my home theater system. I've currently got a Polk psw505. Not bad at all but I was looking for something with a bit more frequency range and clarity. I was thinking of an SVS PB1000 pro. Reviews seem good from what I've seen. Any gaffer with experience with it?
I've had my Klipsch subwoofer for around 7 years or so. It's my first subwoofer in my home audio chain. So I'm not going to be much help here, but I would love the read your thoughts on the upgrade when you make it.

I've debated getting something like the Kef KC62 but it feels dumb spending almost as much on a subwoofer as my loudspeakers. It would be better to looks at something like the Kube 8b, though it's less visually pleasing to me.

I want something smaller as my listening space is not he small side. I'd also like a small, discreet one in my computer room, which is even smaller.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Hot dang, these are sharp looking.

I've got Polk Monitor 10s from the late 70s myself, and love the look of the era of speakers.

a1ee0f7a1960b59d438c8808dbbe74ad.jpg

You can get so much bang for your buck going vintage, especially if you're willing to do some light soldering and refoaming.

Cheers dude
Post some pics of your set-up sometime man. You've piqued my interest.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
I should go all streaming. Vinyl is an expensive hobby. :(

Yeah, can't say that I miss it.

Had a Technics SL-D2 with a Nagaoka MP-110 and I was constantly tweaking things like headshell wires, etc, to try and get *more* out of my records

Started enjoying music a hell of a lot more once I quit fussing with that garbage. Streaming all the way. Screw hisses and crackling 😅

Hot dang, these are sharp looking.

I've got Polk Monitor 10s from the late 70s myself, and love the look of the era of speakers.

a1ee0f7a1960b59d438c8808dbbe74ad.jpg

You can get so much bang for your buck going vintage, especially if you're willing to do some light soldering and refoaming.

Cheers dude
Hey, yup. My Saba speakers have foam surrounds - a bit of soldering and reforming and a bit of damping and here's a result with fully working unit ->

(Tidal FLAC source through my DAC)- for now on tweeters have unoriginal black plastic front because I wanted to have something with new connectors fast
while I figure out how to repair the original silver fronts:

YnYuyL8.jpg

It all just snaped back, not only the boards thingie but even connectors - I ordered some new ones and will try to fit them in and glue it with something. Should be doable.

Bought Yammies because of cloth surrounds it's never gonna age so doesn't need to be replaced - didn't fought there's gonna be other problems thou, like shifting magnets and stuff.
But I have a good tech and I am excited to have them playing with my other set of speakers in the near future -my amp is matching two 8 ohms A+B sets of speakers into 4ohms so they will get punchy as crazy.

BTW what I found curious about NS-670s surrounds, that it's shape it looks like foam surround but it actually a cloth - it's so mind blowing... A first sight for me, always seen two or three waved cloth surrounds - but my tech says it was indeed a thing and there was for a short while this type of surround:
xUoAumI.jpg

870iPqD.jpg

1IkRd1O.jpg

The dust cap is curious too, foamy or needled felt sorta thingie - never saw this type of dust cap tbh. It goes up a bit a couple of millimeters if you push in the cone - the pressure is moving it up.
I actually contacted Yamaha about parts for this woofer and documentation about from which material this dust cap was made but unfortunately the info is long gone and parts too. My tech cut it out carefully with intention of reusing it so no need to be nervous whatsoever anyways.

And I already secured a carpenter willing to refresh the veneer on Yammies - so they will look brand new, like they just got out of the store in 1977 :messenger_sunglasses:. BTW here's them playing at my brothers house before I started to have a project ->

Apple Music Losseless through phone, so it's not exactly as capable source as a DAC. Those are studio monitors too apparently.

They still have original store stickers so that's why I believed they were fully working units:
wAaZgBi.jpg

Bonus:
Akai GX-225D plus Yamaha A-960II. BASF TP18 tape at 19.05cm/s speed:

The oldest tape I have is BASF from 1960s and it's still not shedding. And it's soo dynamic you guys wouldn't believe. Don't remember the code thou. I think TP18 is not it.

Drop test:

Shing02 late night session -low volume. Recording The Masters new tape.

Old video from 2019 - Polish Stilon tape from 1980s - so dynamic my old micro crapped out. Yet Polish Audiophiles don't acknowledge those tapes at all.

Last edited:
i6jthhb.jpg

I still have some tinkering to do in Saba tweeters. I ordered some new coils. The one in the top- the orange ones I know how they sound, those are not new. The bottom ones are foam+laminate and one is broken but they are similar to the ones I use in the black fronts now. The mid ones are new- something I never had or heard before silk soft domes. Will try out those when I repair the silver fronts.

Bonus pics:
7m63Byv.jpg
wgj5J4F.jpg

The inside of Saba tweeter. It was specially made and only used by Polish Tonsil for this one set of the speakers in the 80s. This ceramic cast acts as sound diffusion ring, protection against pushing in the dome and also damping- apparently sweetens the highs a bit. I already talked with my tech about sending those in for remagnetization, after he finishes the NS-670s - he has crossovers and all the drivers. They will get whole checkup along with remagnetization too. So Yammies may play a bit better than they were before :messenger_sunglasses:.

We Poles had some nice units back in the day. Rare sub unit, for example:

Nicknamed the EXPLOSIV, only 500 units or so were made. Insane excursion ranging from 8cm to 10cm.

Last edited:

Reallink

SVS jacked their prices into the stratosphere under the guise of covidflation, the PB1000 was a $499 sub and would go on outlet sales for $399. The Pro is a marginal improvement, but not even close to being worth double the price. I'd buy the $475 PB1000 on their outlet store.

Last edited:

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Hello All.

I'm hoping I can get some guidance. I like to think I'm a somewhat of an audiophile myself, but I'm having a hard time figure out a good solution to my problem.

I recently moved into one of those old, prewar buildings in NYC. The rooms have thick walls, high ceilings and wood floors.

The problem I have is particularly with my subwoofer. The vibrations it gives off on the floor drive me crazy, especially when I'm DJ'ing.

I've been looking into getting a stand for my subwoofer. I have a Polk Audio PSW10. I'm having a difficult time finding a decent stand to fit it. I've seen people use cinder blocks as stands for their speakers. I'm wondering would that work for subwoofers as well?

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
You would want to decouple it. I had success using a combination of the following:

Speaker
Foam
Marble
Foam
Floor

This way the energy from the speaker gets absorbed by foam, whatever finds its way to the marble block get dissipated (its a spring mass system used to block sound with great effect in other areas). Only a cinder block isn’t doing much as it would simply transfer the vibration to the floor.

Or you let them hang from the ceiling. But that is most of the time not practical.

People swear by pointy feet but all that this is doing is reduce the area of contact not the amount of energy transferred - not a fan of that approach.

In my set up you can’t see the foam but it’s there. No vibration is coming to the desk, same would work for a sub.
eeFFPVK.jpg

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Hello All.

I'm hoping I can get some guidance. I like to think I'm a somewhat of an audiophile myself, but I'm having a hard time figure out a good solution to my problem.

I recently moved into one of those old, prewar buildings in NYC. The rooms have thick walls, high ceilings and wood floors.

The problem I have is particularly with my subwoofer. The vibrations it gives off on the floor drive me crazy, especially when I'm DJ'ing.

I've been looking into getting a stand for my subwoofer. I have a Polk Audio PSW10. I'm having a difficult time finding a decent stand to fit it. I've seen people use cinder blocks as stands for their speakers. I'm wondering would that work for subwoofers as well?
Cinder blocks are cheap. Give it a shot and report back.
You would want to decouple it. I had success using a combination of the following:

Speaker
Foam
Marble
Foam
Floor

This way the energy from the speaker gets absorbed by foam, whatever finds its way to the marble block get dissipated (its a spring mass system used to block sound with great effect in other areas). Only a cinder block isn’t doing much as it would simply transfer the vibration to the floor.

Or you let them hang from the ceiling. But that is most of the time not practical.

People swear by pointy feet but all that this is doing is reduce the area of contact not the amount of energy transferred - not a fan of that approach.

In my set up you can’t see the foam but it’s there. No vibration is coming to the desk, same would work for a sub.
eeFFPVK.jpg
Gorgeous. :messenger_smiling_hearts:

YnYuyL8.jpg

It all just snaped back, not only the boards thingie but even connectors - I ordered some new ones and will try to fit them in and glue it with something. Should be doable.

ijwqXK0.jpg
7PhN744.jpg

Yeah, so I've got hold of some terminals. I'm trying to revive the original frames.
dQdy6aT.jpg
Ta59CsR.jpg

A bit of cutting to fit those in.
zDciWGO.jpg
uf1TCg0.jpg
JJKJY4I.jpg
gsDhRK5.jpg

Checking stuff with a new magnet I'm not using either way in my tweeters because of cost cutting - the 80s one is a lot bigger and also the cast is way better, they now use some plastic thingie as a diffusion ring, what a joke.
QCnSG5r.jpg

Fitted in in both frames :messenger_sunglasses:. I will buy some epoxy glue tomorrow to glue those in.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
So the W-King D10 arrived today. (God, I adore Amazon)

81Qyo0TLsuL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It sounds nice. Audiophile nice? Idk... it's definitely a party speaker. The sound is clear and the bass is deep. Mids and highs seem separated enough and you're not getting lost in the weeds of tonality.

Certain tracks really make this sing. Particularly pop songs. I have a feeling this thing was equalized specifically for this type of music.

I was really enjoying a few Deftones songs too, and even John Coltrane didn't feel too out of place on this thing.

Like I said... it sounds nice. Probably not fair to expect this to perform like my vintage Polks or even my Sony WF-1000XM3 ear buds or Sony MDR-1Rs. This is an all-in-one Bluetooth deal after all. Comparable to my Google Home Max.

I'm starting to realize that I've been more spoiled by my gear than I realize.

Regardless... this is the Bluetooth speaker it's replacing

images

There's no argument from me that this W-King D10 isn't leagues beyond this guy. Finally, I have a Bluetooth speaker with some balls. Should make my next bonfire/bbq quite enjoyable.

At the end of the day, it's a party speaker with RGB from some b-tier brand which feels both sturdy and competent, and sounds pleasing enough to my poser audiophile ears.

I'll let it break in a bit lol

Cinder blocks are cheap. Give it a shot and report back.

And here I thought you'd be the type to scoff at me utilizing milk crates as speaker stands 😅

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So the W-King D10 arrived today. (God, I adore Amazon)

81Qyo0TLsuL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It sounds nice. Audiophile nice? Idk... it's definitely a party speaker. The sound is clear and the bass is deep. Mids and highs seem separated enough and you're not getting lost in the weeds of tonality.

Certain tracks really make this sing. Particularly pop songs. I have a feeling this thing was equalized specifically for this type of music.

I was really enjoying a few Deftones songs too, and even John Coltrane didn't feel too out of place on this thing.

Like I said... it sounds nice. Probably not fair to expect this to perform like my vintage Polks or even my Sony WF-1000XM3 ear buds or Sony MDR-1Rs. This is an all-in-one Bluetooth deal after all. Comparable to my Google Home Max.

I'm starting to realize that I've been more spoiled by my gear than I realize.

Regardless... this is the Bluetooth speaker it's replacing

images

There's no argument from me that this W-King D10 isn't leagues beyond this guy. Finally, I have a Bluetooth speaker with some balls. Should make my next bonfire/bbq quite enjoyable.

At the end of the day, it's a party speaker with RGB from some b-tier brand which feels both sturdy and competent, and sounds pleasing enough to my poser audiophile ears.

I'll let it break in a bit lol

And here I thought you'd be the type to scoff at me utilizing milk crates as speaker stands 😅

Whatever works man. I don’t think there’s any shame in milk crates. I grew up on punk music after all.

QCnSG5r.jpg

Fitted in in both frames :messenger_sunglasses:. I will buy some epoxy glue tomorrow to glue those in.
DGR34nt.jpg
QtSSGP7.jpg

Epoxy glue- gluing process :messenger_ok:.
UQJwxwG.jpg
RR45O61.jpg

Bending pins/connectors. Soldering, flux etc - general preparation for assembly tomorrow since it's almost midnight in Poland so I couldn't blast them speakers anyways.
MqsEiv0.jpg
othWgMZ.jpg

Varnished coth treaded soft dome - silk. Reminds me of Yamaha soft domes. Will try out those tomorrow :messenger_sunglasses:.

teezzy

Banned
Okay this W-King D10 is fantastic

Thing has such a fun little sound signature and it gets LOUD. Sounds like way more speaker than it actually is.

Love the RGB lights and the melody it makes when you turn it on and off.

Very cool 😎

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Is there a way to make wired HP BT capable in a not too janky / Alibaba way?

I use my Apple Max HP a lot more than my HD800S mainly because they are wireless. But it kind of breaks my heart that I use my 800S so little…..

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Is there a way to make wired HP BT capable in a not too janky / Alibaba way?

I use my Apple Max HP a lot more than my HD800S mainly because they are wireless. But it kind of breaks my heart that I use my 800S so little…..
Nothing I am aware of that won't require heavy modifications, which may end the life of your headphones prematurely.

Testing the new soft domes -finally original frames :messenger_sunglasses:.

And for reference:

I find it a bit softer sounding - dunno yet if I want more warmth or more clarity.

Still this one is not original, the proper one also used in the 80s version of this tweeter is the one in the quote-with the black frame, unfortunately its been glued in by the manufacturer so I can't probably take it out without damaging it.

But I might sill switch it - because the cost for only the coil/soft dome part is 3,54$/3,52 Euro so not so much anyways :messenger_ok:.

Last edited:
If ya all wondering how two sets of vintage speakers sound on vintage amp that pushes two 8 ohms sets into 4 ohms, then here's some old vid. Nothing fancy- similar thing will happen when I hook up Yammies:

Another rare Polish speaker, woofers have aluminium voice coil former/bobbin
All 4 loudspeakers have an closed enclosure. So no bass reflex here.
Going from 8 ohm into 4 ohms means 2x SPL (sound pressure level). Basically it gets really loud :messenger_sunglasses:.

Pushed that woofer extra hard because of the special former

Old phone so it didn't record bass so well as my current one.

And also it was an first DIY refoam with my friend. We kinda used a really strong glue- but later we found out about some transparent ones. So it was kinda a learning experience which did end up to play for at least 15+ years even if it looked kinda rough

Also an old vid I found of my Yammie blasting -still my old phone so it can be a bit compressed. Recapped the filtration caps on the power supply board from 2x 15000uF to 2x 22000uF- because old ones had a leakage. It can blast up to 100/120 watts per channel, power supply is 630 watts :messenger_bicep:.

Last edited:

Decided to push woofers in celebration ;) I've hunted down the rare version of these woofers- varnished original membrane from 1980s with original voice coils ;) will refoam those- first version ever made with black dust caps and no cost cutting. Should be more punchier than those I have now, I've heard them 15 years ago and they have made quite the impression on me. And it cost me 30 bucks for two woofers, those were a steal!

NF ZESSHO - he has pretty cool tracks with nice bass drops :messenger_sunglasses:.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Those planar IEMs are set to arrive today but I will be out of town until tomorrow. When I am home I will give them a quick listen and post some initial thoughts.

Anyway, onto Topping:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
My Diokos arrived. I listened to a few songs on my KZ ZS10 Pros to get a quick reference point. Holy fuck! The clarity is dialed up to 11 on the Diokos. The bass is definitely a huge change for me, which I expected with planars. I notice a better bass response out of my desktop than I do my iPhone so far. I still need to run these things through the process but after about 20-30 mins of listening, I am impressed.

:messenger_fire::messenger_fire::messenger_fire:

ZiEk4IA.jpg

I'll keep listening to these and come back with better details. I'll run them through my various set-ups to better compare and contrast. But so far, at $100 these things are a steal.

e: I should add that I swapped out the silicone tips for my normal foam tips, mostly for comfort & isolation reasons. I did not immediately notice any sound changes from the two types.

e#2: So it seems clear now that the output of the iPhone is not enough to get good performance out of these IEMs. I would say an amp is mandatory for phone listening with these.

Last edited:
Top Bottom