• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

The Force Awakens is out, and is reasonably affordable blu-ray at Big W and Target (and probably others) and has a ton of extras in blu-ray. The blu-ray quality is pretty good - noticed some compression artefacts only a couple of times. Apparently Target also throws in a poster, which I didn't realise until after I bought mine at the other store. And the film was just as good on third watching :)

You'd think with pristine sources, 50gb and well experienced authoring people they could avoid compression artifacts.

senahorse

Sure it's not a problem on your end? All the reviews I have read say it's a great transfer (one even pointed out there were no artefacts) with the only slight negative I have read was to do with black levels.

r1chard

You'd think with pristine sources, 50gb and well experienced authoring people they could avoid compression artifacts.
This came out pretty darned quickly, so I'm gonna assume they're gonna be doing a re-release Super Remastered Ultra Edition down the track.

Sure it's not a problem on your end? All the reviews I have read say it's a great transfer (one even pointed out there were no artefacts) with the only slight negative I have read was to do with black levels.
I'm playing through a PS4, whatever that means. The artefacts weren't horrendous (nothing to *completely* distract from the film, just distract a little), but they were apparent to me - I've done work on image and video compression algorithms in the past, so I might be overly sensitive to such things. On the next rewatch I'll make a note to look for them.

No, the problems *I* have are with the stupid PS4 auto-eject issue (out of warranty, I've tried all the self-fixes to no avail).

senahorse

You would like to think the PS4 would have a decent Blu-ray player considering the company :). I know what you meant to being sensitive to such things, I am the same, ignorance is bliss and it's something I wish I was ignorant with.

Quasar

This came out pretty darned quickly, so I'm gonna assume they're gonna be doing a re-release Super Remastered Ultra Edition down the track.

Maybe we can have a 4k transfer then. I would have though this to be a perfect UHD BluRay seller. But maybe Disney are more consevative than WB.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
you are quite literally the second worst person.

the first worst is

tumblr_msh5b79QcM1sfvvseo1_500.png

I never got past that level ;__; How. HOW DO YOU DO IT?

Chemical plant was easy.

I'm playing through a PS4, whatever that means. The artefacts weren't horrendous (nothing to *completely* distract from the film, just distract a little), but they were apparent to me - I've done work on image and video compression algorithms in the past, so I might be overly sensitive to such things. On the next rewatch I'll make a note to look for them.

No, the problems *I* have are with the stupid PS4 auto-eject issue (out of warranty, I've tried all the self-fixes to no avail).

They've already said the 3D version is coming later (probably closer to Rogue One's release) and I'd guess it would be a 4k disc much sooner than it would have been under old Lucasfilm.

My PS4 has that. Simplest fix for me was to just unplug it from the mains overnight. Worked a treat most of the time.

r1chard

My PS4 has that. Simplest fix for me was to just unplug it from the mains overnight. Worked a treat most of the time.
My PS4 is turned off at the mains most of the time, only having the power socket turned on maybe once a day, sometimes once a week, so this solution isn't likely to work for me :)

I tried the screw fix today. That seems to have kept it in line for tonight's disc usage.

Yrael

dity

Does anyone here still use a PVR and have a recommendation for a good one that supports MPEG4?

Basically my mother's PVR (and TV) are a bit old and only support MPEG2. Channel 9 switched to MPEG4 last year and she lost access to 9Go, 9Gem, 9HD etc. So, she needs to upgrade.

I've read that the all-in-one units (with internet access and a blu-ray/dvd player and PVR recording) suck, so I've been looking at either a Humax or a Fetch TV (never heard of it before) for her. Anyone have any experience with those two brands? My mother just wants a dedicated (or as close to dedicated as can be) PVR - doesn't much care for Netflix or playing blu-rays. She just wants to watch and record TV.

My PS4 is turned off at the mains most of the time, only having the power socket turned on maybe once a day, sometimes once a week, so this solution isn't likely to work for me :)

I tried the screw fix today. That seems to have kept it in line for tonight's disc usage.

I had to do the screw tightening twice, but for me keeping the power off when using was the main thing keeping it going. Another thing that was almost guaranteed to set off the auto eject/never ending beeping was putting into rest mode rather than powering it down completely (and pulling out the plug). But, if I had a game paused while I was away and the PS4 shut down due to your power saving settings, that was generally ok.

Dryk

I designed a simple board game (with lots of good input from my bestie) at Ludum Dare 35! If I can be bothered making a rules pdf for the Jamalaide website it might even see official release before CBD.

r1chard

I had to do the screw tightening twice, but for me keeping the power off when using was the main thing keeping it going. Another thing that was almost guaranteed to set off the auto eject/never ending beeping was putting into rest mode rather than powering it down completely (and pulling out the plug). But, if I had a game paused while I was away and the PS4 shut down due to your power saving settings, that was generally ok.
But were you standing on one leg when you pulled the plug out? And make sure it's your left leg, not your right leg!

Glad whatever you're doing is working for you, of course :)

Dryk

Mayfair doesn't give me anything when I google it, but Mayflash does.
I know this is days old but I want to point out that I was blind stinking sober, and just got the Chinese electronics company Mayflash and the American game publisher Mayfair confused

My work for the dole ended unexpectedly (I finished the hours about a month ago without anyone noticing until I calculated it last week) so I am cutting down to volunteering one day a week where I was doing it instead of 25 hours a week. I initially wanted to volunteer 12 hours a week over two days but I was told by a trusted advisor (my mum) to do just one day in order to encourage them to hire me if they need more.

When I told the people I work with that I will volunteer one day a week, I was given replies like how much of a life saver I've been. But also, I think referring to the 6 months on 6 months off structure of work for the dole: 'I don't know why they do this, it's more trouble than it's worth.' Ow at the implications. Emails have been sent around trying to figure out what to do with it. They've been trying to get me to do more work (I was told last week by my new boss that 'word of my talents has spread') and now they're being let down, but I can't let it bother me.

Hopefully they will hire me even part time. The new boss asked me a few weeks ago if I would like to work here.

dity

Work for the Dole ripped through my soul and spat me out, I had a break down. "Charity" organisations get some real abusive people as legit volunteers.

Work for the Dole ripped through my soul and spat me out, I had a break down. "Charity" organisations get some real abusive people as legit volunteers.
I'm so sorry about that. My response is total agreement.Working in a UnitingCare warehouse was legitimately awful with some bullies. Nasty, draining place.

However most of my time has been at a very friendly non-charity, a community organisation that there have only been a handful of issues at over almost 8 years between placement/volunteering/wftd, and I want to work here.

dity

I'm so sorry about that. My response is total agreement.Working in a UnitingCare warehouse was legitimately awful with some bullies. Nasty, draining place.

However most of my time has been at a very friendly non-charity, a community organisation that there have only been a handful of issues at over almost 8 years between placement/volunteering/wftd, and I want to work here.

That's great for you! I'm with a disability support JSP now so I'm not expected to do dole work anymore. Thank goodness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom