• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF - Twice the price, a year late, filtered and seized by customs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jercruz

Anybody having trouble downloading MM10?

Bought it but I get this error that starts with 2XXXXXXX. Tried again and again with no luck.

Other WW/VC as downloading just fine.

Sew said:

I was at DFO next to Southern Cross eating in the food court when it hit. It was like just deafening white noise - I didn't even realize it has hail on the roof. A bunch of us were standing at the windows in the food court and everyone had their videophones out taking footage. The street was just blanketed in hail.

Next thing I turn to leave the food court and go shopping and I realize there's this waterfall separating the food court from the corridor and shops. Luckily I happened to have an umbrella in my bag so I popped it and went through, thinking how bad the roofing must be on DFO. So I'm walking past these shops in the mall and suddenly I realise IT'S RAINING IN THE SHOPS. *Pouring*. It seemed like a whole section of roof had opened up and tens of thousands of dollars of stock was getting SOAKED. Suddenly evacuation sirens go off and MORE waterfalls start appearing everywhere. I started walking quickly to the exit and then THE LIGHTS WENT OFF. I full on ran out.

So into Southern Cross Station, and the same thing - waterfalls everywhere. I look up, and wherever the clear plastic sections of roof were, you could see piles of hail the size of small cars! They were making the plastic tear/collapse (I'm not sure if it is material plastic or solid). if you were under one when it went and that much ice fell on you you'd probably be killed.

Next thing a siren starts going off in Southern Cross and these station attendants are running around yelling "get out from under the plastic sections!"

Screw waiting for the whole roof to collapse I thought, I'd rather get soaked. So I went out onto Spencer street and the water on the road is like knee deep. I just rolled up my jeans and ran through it. Walked through the CBD, blanketed in ice and leaves (the hail knocked heaps of leaves onto the ground - it was just solid green, covered in ice in parts). There were alarm bells going off everywhere, firetrucks and ambulances racing about. It was like a scene from Cloverfield. I checked for large monsters and spider/crab things but didn't see any. Huge relief.

Got to Flinders Street station, absolutely soaked by now, and all the trains are cancelled. No trains going through Southern Cross, power outages on 3 lines. Went to the tram stop and squeezed onto a sardine-packed tram, hot as a sauna inside, and inched along for about an hour to get home.

Finally home safe and sound. IT WAS SUNNY WHEN I LEFT THE HOUSE! Climate change is here.

Oh, hey AusGAF *waves*.

Ventron

Apt start to the NRL season for Melbourne, isn't it?

Jamie xxoo said:
Finally home safe and sound. IT WAS SUNNY WHEN I LEFT THE HOUSE! Climate change is here.

My friend made that same joke just now when I told him about what was going on there :D
And it's STILL BLOODY RAINING up here in Brisbane. Yes, thank you, our dams are full now, you can go away Mr Low Pressure System.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Shit our first female member and a mac user. Be nice you .. you .. fools.

I guess we didn't get much out where i am in melbourne. Heard some thunder, got a bit of rain but nothing insane :(

Rahk

Jamie xxoo said:
I was at DFO next to Southern Cross eating in the food court when it hit. It was like just deafening white noise - I didn't even realize it has hail on the roof. A bunch of us were standing at the windows in the food court and everyone had their videophones out taking footage. The street was just blanketed in hail.

Next thing I turn to leave the food court and go shopping and I realize there's this waterfall separating the food court from the corridor and shops. Luckily I happened to have an umbrella in my bag so I popped it and went through, thinking how bad the roofing must be on DFO. So I'm walking past these shops in the mall and suddenly I realise IT'S RAINING IN THE SHOPS. *Pouring*. It seemed like a whole section of roof had opened up and tens of thousands of dollars of stock was getting SOAKED. Suddenly evacuation sirens go off and MORE waterfalls start appearing everywhere. I started walking quickly to the exit and then THE LIGHTS WENT OFF. I full on ran out.

So into Southern Cross Station, and the same thing - waterfalls everywhere. I look up, and wherever the clear plastic sections of roof were, you could see piles of hail the size of small cars! They were making the plastic tear/collapse (I'm not sure if it is material plastic or solid). if you were under one when it went and that much ice fell on you you'd probably be killed.

Next thing a siren starts going off in Southern Cross and these station attendants are running around yelling "get out from under the plastic sections!"

Screw waiting for the whole roof to collapse I thought, I'd rather get soaked. So I went out onto Spencer street and the water on the road is like knee deep. I just rolled up my jeans and ran through it. Walked through the CBD, blanketed in ice and leaves (the hail knocked heaps of leaves onto the ground - it was just solid green, covered in ice in parts). There were alarm bells going off everywhere, firetrucks and ambulances racing about. It was like a scene from Cloverfield. I checked for large monsters and spider/crab things but didn't see any. Huge relief.

Got to Flinders Street station, absolutely soaked by now, and all the trains are cancelled. No trains going through Southern Cross, power outages on 3 lines. Went to the tram stop and squeezed onto a sardine-packed tram, hot as a sauna inside, and inched along for about an hour to get home.

Oh, hey AusGAF *waves*.
Welcome to Rapture.

Frawdder

It's also raining here in Adelaide for the first time in a while. It's like the weather has changed to Autumn and said "Fuck you, summer's gone so get ready for winter you bastards"...at least in some places.

legend166

Damn, a girl at work went back to Melbourne for the weekend to visit her family. I'll ask her about the storm on Monday.

I wish we had an awesome storm in Sydney. I love storms :(

Dead Man

Frawdder said:
It's also raining here in Adelaide for the first time in a while. It's like the weather has changed to Autumn and said "Fuck you, summer's gone so get ready for winter you bastards"...at least in some places.
Yep, good for my garden, bad for my Saturday night.

legend166

Frawdder said:

It was 28 degrees without a cloud in the sky today in Sydney.

Our cricket finished early so we went and did some lawn bowls to celebrate the end of the season :lol

Waikis

Jamie xxoo said:
all the trains are cancelled. No trains going through Southern Cross, power outages on 3 lines. Went to the tram stop and squeezed onto a sardine-packed tram, hot as a sauna inside, and inched along for about an hour to get home.

Oh, hey AusGAF *waves*.

Oh dammit, I was gonna go to TGI friday : /.

xMk2x

Banned
Caramello said:
wbSTORMscreen-600x400.jpg

:lol:

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Poor guy :lol

That's some crazy weather. Maybe i should have turned on the news tonight and checked out the reports.

Mar

If the hailstones were big enough to break his car window, I'd say that window is the least of his concerns.

trinest

Mar said:
If the hailstones were big enough to break his car window, I'd say that window is the least of his concerns.
Looking at the photo album linked it seems they where pretty much "as big as golf balls"

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Ah network sharing. Something i've never ever used because i've never had the need to until now. Homegroup setup on W7 worked a treat. Now to copy everything back to the newly formatted laptop :lol

*turns on ipod, puts in earphones and gets to it*

BC2 is fun lads. Join if you have it on PC. We seem to get a few guys on the same server when it's not pure shit.

Fucking laptops now i'm getting BSODs ... grrr

hirokazu

My friend was watching one of the Matrix movies when the hail hit Syney a while ago and water started coming down the screen. He thought it was some crazy 4D Matrix special effect until they stopped the movie and told people to get out. :lol

There's more crazy weather from 3pm today and I'm going to be in a place that flooded badly. This is going to be awesome.

Also, yay, SC2 beta invite!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
fappenmeister said:
There's more crazy weather from 3pm today and I'm going to be in a place that flooded badly. This is going to be awesome.

Also, yay, SC2 beta invite!

WHAT WHAT! You lucky son of a bitch.

Spend most of yesterday with Heavy Rain before finishing it late last night.
Hated it at the start, it got better,
then the reveal of the killer had me going "oh come on
, then the fighting got exciting but then ending I drew sucked harder than a Dyson at an Activision board meeting.

"hmm you need a more worthy opponent next time."

Maccas

I played most of Heavy Rain in heavy rain up in Bris, it made it better, also my ending was pretty awesome.

I'm playing Darksiders at the moment and I am not really enjoying it. People who did, did you enjoy it because of, or in spite of the story?

Cohsae

You know what's awesome? When your motherboard kicks the bucket, and you need to buy a new one. And your old mobo was using an old cpu socket, so you need a new cpu. And you need to upgrade to ddr3 ram. And then you buy a new HDD so you can upgrade to Windows 7. And then you hope that all of the data on your old HDD is still there.
Oh wait that's like the opposite of awesome. Especially when you need to study for 2 mid-trimester tests, and have an assignment coming up.

On the bright side, my old PC was about 3 years old with no real upgrades during that time, and I can keep my monitor, PSU, gfx card etc. So in a few days I'll have:
22" Asus widescreen
8600GTS (really need to replace this old thing)
i5 750 cpu
Gigabyte p55m-ud2 mobo
A 640GB Western Digital HDD to go with my old 320GB
1x2GB stick of Corsair ram
Windows 7 instead of XP (that cheapo student version was a big help)
All in all it was about a $630 upgrade.
Hopefully before too long I can save up a bit of cash and get a new GFX card and another 2GB stick, and I'll have a pretty awesome rig.
And I guess also on the bright side I should get more study done, since I have no games or GAF to distract me. But god damn not having a computer is hell. Hell I say!

Kritz said:
So we recorded a podcast last night. And I swear I'll actually edit this one together.
I should totally get around to uploading my file.

On a related note: anyone want to take my spot on the podcast? Podcastin' isn't really my thing.

Quasar

trinest said:
Wait for 2010.

Well MS is offering a free 2010 upgrade to new 2007 buyers apparently. Definitely looking into that special student deal as I imagine soon my 2010 beta will expire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom