• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF - Twice the price, a year late, filtered and seized by customs

Status
Not open for further replies.

rass

I added most of the bfbc2 list from the wiki, my in game name is LacquerHead
fappenmeister- I sent you about 10 invites while I was trying to work out what the hell I was doing sorry :/

I was getting some chronic graphic glitches and was going to give up on the game, then it finally gave me a dialog saying it was incompatible with aero and it worked sweet after that. Destruction is hella fun!

Choc

Banned
Nemesis556 said:
I have codes to but if anyone wants them can they please PM me so random lurkers don't claim them? Jeez. >_>

I wasn't fussed about lurkers to be honest. I just couldn't be stuffed waiting for PMs etc.

Its Xbox 360 and correct link is blurgame.com/beta

PS. Yakuza 3 is sooooooooo good. So much better then i expected.

Kritz

Banned
Welp, this is a weight off my shoulders:

Kritz117.png

Finally murdered my gold subscription. :D

Picked up Batman AA and Just Cause off today's steam sale. I really was curious about the original Just Cause since the second one is getting a Red Faction Guerilla-esque buzz about it.

$22 US or so.

Never had much interest in Batman AA before but for about $17, even a couple of hours with it will satisfy me. Would have preferred to play both of these on 360 though. I'd LOOoooooove it Games on Demand would get realistic with their AU pricing and have the odd fire sale.

hamchan

Choc said:
PS. Yakuza 3 is sooooooooo good. So much better then i expected.

Hell Yeah! Awesome to see you have discovered the greatness of Yakuza 3.

I'm so addicted to the game. Might even overtake my FFXIII playtime:lol

Nemesis_

OneMoreQuestion said:
But how are the graphics? Any significant improvement over the demo?

Same rubbish as the demo itself. >_>

It's definitely a game for the fans and I am pretty amazed SEGA bothered to bring it over, but yeah, it's not that impressive graphically, particularly if the demo didn't impress you either

Nemesis556 said:
Same rubbish as the demo itself. >_>

It's definitely a game for the fans and I am pretty amazed SEGA bothered to bring it over, but yeah, it's not that impressive graphically, particularly if the demo didn't impress you either

Thanks, I think I'll pass then. Never played the first two, so I suppose I'm not missing out on much by not buying this.

Danoss

ClivePwned said:
Picked up Batman AA and Just Cause off today's steam sale.
Same here. Hard to resist such a sweet deal.

Had a brief go of Batman AA and really enjoying it. Just Cause, I'm not terribly enthusiastic about loading up though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I've never really been a Yakuza fan.

I never 'got' it, I guess.

josh_tarrant

Neo Member
So Ausgaf's resident TV experts is the TV on Catchoftheday a pile of poop?

Or $450 - it is a little bargain.

All i do is play my Wii and watch my media centre - I don't really have any HD content - just need a bigger TV - at the moment just have a little 22 inch thing which has busted speakers. JOY.

So Yay or Nay??

http://www.catchoftheday.com.au/

If Nay, another suggestions?

josh_tarrant said:
So Ausgaf's resident TV experts is the TV on Catchoftheday a pile of poop?

Not sure. The best I can give you is that it's a Daijitsu brand (can tell from the image URL), and that apparently they're the same as Sansui TVs.

Also, some guy at Whirlpool reviewed a 42 inch Daijitsu they got from COTD, and they seem pretty keen on it.

Expected the shipping to be more than $40, too.

Sew

I always look at things like that and think "I know it's going to be cheap shit... but it'll do the job right? How bad could it be?"

You find out how bad pretty soon. It'll be little things, like shitty contrast, uneven washed out backlighting, slow channel changing, awful remote (more important than it sounds, when it's your only physical interface to the TV). Having said that, $450 with 12 month warranty is relatively low risk. If the TV is so bad it shits you to tears, you can probably flog it off for the same price.

Just don't do it if $450 is a big deal to you.

So yesterday (13th) was my birthday and I turned 21. Today I have my family portion of my party and scored $600 with another $100 on the way.

funny story: I had about $330 and I asked my mother for the money she was gonna give me for my birthday early so I could score a 360 for $388 from Kmart. I picked up my girlfriend and just as I was about to buy it, my girlfriend tells me hey dude you don't need to buy this Xbox cos me and your friends have already bought you one! I'm like whaaaat. So yeah, I have an EXbxo waiting for me at my party next week on the 20th.

So recommend me 360 games to buy. I have:

- Assassin's Creed (Classics)
- Battlefield: Bad Company 2
- BioShock (Classics)
- Borderlands
- Crackdown
- Lego Batman/PURE
- Gears of War
- GTAIV
- Saint's Row 2
- Shadow Complex
- 'Splosion Man

I am getting:
- Sonic 4

XBLA titles welcome.

So yeah. Any suggestions of games to check out would be fantastic, especially mention them if they still have a good community attached. Just no RTS or strategy games please. Any other genre would be fantastic.

Also! I need help finding a cheap source for Microsoft points and Xbox Live. I don't particularly want to pay $80 for live from JB. Though with their cashback/rebate thingo I might.. I'm getting a wireless receiver from them for sure though.

Games I'm considering getting based on replies (will continually update):
- Ikaruga
- PGR4

Bernbaum

Some nice picks on your wishlist there.

If you haven't played it on a different platform already, give Braid a play - it's a delightful game whether you choose to get deep into the narrative or not. Other XBLA goodies are Rez HD, Ikaruga and if you can tolerate the difficulty - Bionic Commando Re-armed. 'Splosion Man is on your list and is an excellent choice.

There are launch-era-ish 360 games that might be worth a pick-up if you see them in the bargain bin. Kameo is underrated and worth a look, and the two GRAW games are fantastic. I replayed both GRAW 1 and 2 over the weekend for the millionth time and the second one would have to be my most-enjoyed console shooter ever. Yes, the campaign can be completed in an afternoon, but there's a lot of flexibility in how you choose to approach each mission. My brother tells me the online community is still present and very seasoned - it has the lowest 'Douche Factor' of any Xbox Live game I've played.

Best exclusive 360 game I've played in the last few years would be Fable II. It's an action RPG for toddlers, but addictive as fuck. Lots and lots to do.

If sim racing games aren't your thing, then I can't recommend PGR4 enough. It's a sublime game.

Sounds like you have plenty to play already- I try not to get too many games whenever I pick up a new system. Three games from different genres is usually what I go for, with one of them typically a racing game.

Rent Halo 3.

I've played through Halo 3 vanilla already with a friend from start to finish over a week and I thought it was okay. I loved Halo 1, wasn't crazy about Halo 2 or 3 though.

I played Braid when they were showcasing it at my uni when showing what you COULD do with a programming degree and some ingenuity and I enjoyed it. If I find myself with enough points and I'm bored, I'll give it a proper try.

I've seen Kameo a LOT at EB sales as preowned and new, if I see it again for $20 I'll consider picking it up. GRAW are games I've wanted to get into but I may have to put them on the back burner unless, again, I can find them cheapish.

My friend was trying to sell me on Fable 2 when it came out and I wasn't sold. To be fair I never really looked properly into it. All I really know about it is about the dog and Molyneux's good/evil stuff.

Rez I own on Dreamcast, is it worth rebuying it for the HD, I don't own a HD TV but I have a feeling it might just be jazzed up graphics.

Ikaruga is a game I've heard a lot about and I've wanted to get back into the shooter genre for a while now and Ikaruga always made me want to. I reckon I'll pick it up.

I used to play Bionic Commando a little when I was younger so I may give it a go. I don't know how good I am anymore though.

I fully agree with you on not buying too many games with a new system, but I've been so behind and my newest console that I own is a PS2 and I only got that for Christmas last year. I'm way behind and I'm hoping for some good picks on games of the generation to play.

edit: I don't know why I totally forgot about PGR4. I loved PGR1 and 2.

Happy belated birthday Megadrive!

On another note, I'm editing the entry for Betamax 2 on the wiki because I never participated in it. :lol Lay off the ciders Kritz. Bad pup!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Megadrive. Buy BC2 on PC, don't be a noob on consoles :D

Since i need to buy a new CPU cooler from pcg i figured i would ask for headphone and microphone suggestions.

Headphones
Microphones

So what should i try and grab? I would prefer both to be USB as i'm too lazy to unplug my speakers and do all that crap out the back of my PC. Only really needed for BC2 and other future online PC gaming nights!

Fredescu

Some cheap stuff on CD WOW today.

Blur $36.50
Metro 2033 $38.24
Alpha Protocol $24.32
Ass Creed 2 shitty DRM edition $38.24
Just Cause 2 $38.24

evlcookie said:
So what should i try and grab? I would prefer both to be USB as i'm too lazy to unplug my speakers and do all that crap out the back of my PC. Only really needed for BC2 and other future online PC gaming nights!
That flexible desktop microphone looks like the one I got. It's pretty good for the money but not USB. I got a 3.5mm extension cable to make plugging in headsets easier, and my speakers have a headphone jack on the front, so I never have to muck around at the back of the PC. I was always weary of driver issues with USB sound stuff, so I've always avoided them. It's probably gotten better though.

d4533

plufim said:
Hey guys, remember a month ago when I showed you all that design for a shirt (Boo Bees)? Splitreason printed it!

http://www.splitreason.com/product/923

I'm pretty damn chuffed!

Congrats on getting your tshirt up for sale. Out of interest, how do you get paid for this kind of thing. One thing I’ve always wondered about places like this/threadless is how much of each sale goes to the site and how much goes to the artist. Is it a onetime payment at the start where they buy the design or do you get a percentage of each sale?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Fredescu said:
Some cheap stuff on CD WOW today.

Blur $36.50
Metro 2033 $38.24
Alpha Protocol $24.32
Ass Creed 2 shitty DRM edition $38.24
Just Cause 2 $38.24

That flexible desktop microphone looks like the one I got. It's pretty good for the money but not USB. I got a 3.5mm extension cable to make plugging in headsets easier, and my speakers have a headphone jack on the front, so I never have to muck around at the back of the PC. I was always weary of driver issues with USB sound stuff, so I've always avoided them. It's probably gotten better though.

Everything but Metro 2033 and AC2 is interesting on cdwow. I'm iffy about alpha protocol but for $25 i guess i can give it a shot, hell i purchased a bag of crap for $17. The crawling walking animation in the game is :lol :lol though. I also still sort of want the CE of JC2 just for the extra bonuses you get and since game.co.uk still lists the CE as the same price as the standard (25p last time i checked) i will probably try them.

I could probably live with a 3.5mm microphone. It can sit on the bench and do nothing until required and talking would be done via push to talk.

legend166 said:
Who's up for a AusGaf Perfect Dark HD night on Friday night?

I'm so excited.

Assuming I don't have anything on, I'll be up for this.

Should pre-warn everyone, I have never played PD/Goldeneye (I had a PS1, not a 64 unfortunately) so I will probably suck.

My gamertag is BanShunsaku anyway if ppl want to add me.

Agyar

So I went to Ikea yesterday and spent way too much money on a rad new TV unit. Will start setting up my new speakers and unit tonight although I really should tidy up the lounge room first. It's a wasteland of dust, boxes (both empty and full) and assorted junk at the moment.

I'll be selling off my old TV bench, a couple of matching glass coffee tables and a desk, anyone in Brisbane need some new furniture?

Agyar said:
So I went to Ikea yesterday and spent way too much money on a rad new TV unit. Will start setting up my new speakers and unit tonight although I really should tidy up the lounge room first. It's a wasteland of dust, boxes (both empty and full) and assorted junk at the moment.

I'll be selling off my old TV bench, a couple of matching glass coffee tables and a desk, anyone in Brisbane need some new furniture?
TV bench, eh? My Mum is apparently getting a plasma TV as a gift in the next few months. Is it suitable? How much you want for it?

So I bought a "new" PS2 slim on Friday. I ended up getting a pre-owned one from GAME for $69 with a one year warranty.

The main reason being that my launch 60 gig PS3 has issues with Yakuza 1 whereby it freezes and I can't get past the third chapter, and I gave my old PS2 away to a family member.

So I'm playing through Yakuza 1 and Yakuza 3 simultaneously, and remembering why I love this series so much. I was worried going from 3 back to 1 that I wouldn't enjoy the gameplay as much but Y1 actually holds up really well :D

I've stopped following the Yakuza 3 thread, the whingeing about cut content was starting to make me feel down about a game I am really enjoying. I can see why people are upset about the cut content but the game has so much to offer I would rather just enjoy what we did end up getting!

Rahk

Perfect Dark? Never played it, but I liked Goldeneye so I guess I'll grab it. My GT is Rakula.

fappenmeister said:
Happy belated birthday Megadrive!

On another note, I'm editing the entry for Betamax 2 on the wiki because I never participated in it. :lol Lay off the ciders Kritz. Bad pup!
He imagined TWO extra people on the podcast?

I just edited myself out too. :lol

evlcookie said:
I could probably live with a 3.5mm microphone. It can sit on the bench and do nothing until required and talking would be done via push to talk.
Most people use the Zalman mic, so that's probably a good choice. Just clip it to your headphones or whatever.

Danoss

evlcookie said:
Since i need to buy a new CPU cooler from pcg i figured i would ask for headphone and microphone suggestions.

Headphones
Microphones

My personal preference is headsets, instead of having them both separate, which for online gaming can be awkward. I own and would reccommend these (as long as you don't wear glasses). I do, so I switched to these.

I'm assuming you want something a little cheaper, since they will get less use. Also from that website, so you get it all in the one shipment. In which case, I would suggest something like these.

Agyar

viciouskillersquirrel said:
TV bench, eh? My Mum is apparently getting a plasma TV as a gift in the next few months. Is it suitable? How much you want for it?

It might be suitable, the only reason I replaced it is that I need more room for devices and somewhere for a center speaker to go. I'll send you a PM with some more details so you can see if you're interested.

evlcookie said:
Megadrive. Buy BC2 on PC, don't be a noob on consoles :D

I would, but neither my computer nor laptop can handle it. I was thinking of upgrading my rig as well but I've gotten disinterested in PC gaming and want to head back into consoles. I'll probably switch back when BF3 gets released though. :p

evlcookie said:

Headphones
Microphones

I'm a big fan of headsets, you just gotta buy the right one. But then again, there's these blue ones from Big W I used to buy (been a few years now) for $8 that lasted me a year and 6 months. They weren't the best quality in either department but come on. $8 for 18 months? If you really must have them separate, but quality headphones like from Seinnheiser would be good with a cheap to mid-range mic. When gaming with games that my laptop could handle, I just used my laptop mic and my 212 Pro Seinnheiser headphones.

Shaneus

BanShunsaku said:
So I bought a "new" PS2 slim on Friday. I ended up getting a pre-owned one from GAME for $69 with a one year warranty.

The main reason being that my launch 60 gig PS3 has issues with Yakuza 1 whereby it freezes and I can't get past the third chapter, and I gave my old PS2 away to a family member.

So I'm playing through Yakuza 1 and Yakuza 3 simultaneously, and remembering why I love this series so much. I was worried going from 3 back to 1 that I wouldn't enjoy the gameplay as much but Y1 actually holds up really well :D

I've stopped following the Yakuza 3 thread, the whingeing about cut content was starting to make me feel down about a game I am really enjoying. I can see why people are upset about the cut content but the game has so much to offer I would rather just enjoy what we did end up getting!
Shit, PS2 only $69? Wow. I know what I'm getting for my bedroom. Anyone know what's needed to play imports?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Danoss said:
I'm assuming you want something a little cheaper, since they will get less use. Also from that website, so you get it all in the one shipment. In which case, I would suggest something like these.

These seem to get a bit of love at the bit-tech review, so they will do. Don't think i want to go spending $$$ like yourself on a headset just yet. Unless of course in 6 months time i'm playing WoW along with FPSs online and somehow in a leading always talking position :lol

Might pre-order some of those games from cdwow as well. I reckon blur on PC could be a bit of fun online with ausgaffers. The driving still looks like stiff shit but people in the beta thread seem to be having fun.

Shaneus said:
Shit, PS2 only $69? Wow. I know what I'm getting for my bedroom. Anyone know what's needed to play imports?

A mod chip :p . I don't think there's a disc based solution these days. I haven't paid attention to the PS2 homebrew scene in years so maybe something new has rocked up. I think there was a USB thumb drive exploit? Might want to look into that as well, saves you opening it up and trying to fit a modchip on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom