• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF - Twice the price, a year late, filtered and seized by customs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choc

Banned
VOOK said:
EB doesn't stock any titles from AFA, Madman on Wii. If they do it's months later. Games like No More Heroes, Cursed Moutain etc.

That also applies to PS3 and 360 Vook. I think there is a number of reasons behind this because GAME doesn't either.

The fact that those publishers hardly market (AFA for example) probably doesn't help them, there is probably also contractual deals in place that stop EB and GAME supporting them.

For example AFA may not offer 'contra' contracts where unsold stock can be 'traded' for stock of a new release. That is what destroyed Red Ant in the end.

It wouldn't surprise me if AFA does not offer that kind of contract and as such the big business will not work with them.

i've had to deal with those publishers and their setups are significantly different to the big boys. It's a shame but thats business.

Quasar

Mojo said:
webmail_au_20100312_wiitrade.jpg

lol

Wow. So very true.

plufim

After EB has been partnered with Nintendo on so many launch events last year, and having that Nintendo lounge thing above EB in Sydney (or was it Melbourne), I cannot fathom WHY they'd turn on Nintendo like this.

plufim

d4533 said:
Congrats on getting your tshirt up for sale. Out of interest, how do you get paid for this kind of thing. One thing I’ve always wondered about places like this/threadless is how much of each sale goes to the site and how much goes to the artist. Is it a onetime payment at the start where they buy the design or do you get a percentage of each sale?
Splitreason give a one-time payment only of $250US.

Threadless pay $2000, BUT threadless has been overrun by pretentious blowhards so it's pretty hard for anyone to get anything up unless they're part of the inner circle (you get shirts approved by a voting process where community members vote, and a lot of those who've been around a long time intentionally vote down as many designs as they can).

plufim said:
After EB has been partnered with Nintendo on so many launch events last year, and having that Nintendo lounge thing above EB in Sydney (or was it Melbourne), I cannot fathom WHY they'd turn on Nintendo like this.

There's one in Melbourne.

Gonna try to pick up GOWIII Wed afternoon this week if possible. Any Brisbane residers know of any stores notorious for breaking street dates?

I usually go play asia, but going on holidays for a week and want to pick it up before I leave.

Frawdder

Kritz said:
I don't need to lay off them I can quit any time I want! I... WHO THE FUCK WAS IN THAT PODCAST THEN?
That would be me. I edited the page and the bag of crap page for my item. I took a guess for the price so feel free to change it if anyone finds out how much it actually is.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Neverender said:
What's the best place to get relatively cheap blu-rays (online or otherwise)?

I've been buying mine from zavvi these days. I grabbed these blurays from them last week and they finally turned up - Pic

It all depends on sales of course, just remember to add AUD$4 for postage per item with zavvi. CDwow is also another option.

If you prefer local then maybe jb is probably your best bet.

rass

Neverender said:
What's the best place to get relatively cheap blu-rays (online or otherwise)?
amazon.co.uk and amazon.com are both good when they have sales, locally I usually buy from big W or JB, depending on sales

What do you guys think are the chances of EB sending out GOW3 UTE on Wednesday to compensate for delivery time?

Any chance I could get it tomorrow instead of Thursday?

I don't think you will get it before release date. EB ships things with a "Do not deliver before xx/xx/xx" as far as I know.

And to be honest, from a few people's experiences, you might be lucky to get it on release date. Best bet would be to track it online, if it scans at your local depot tomorrow morning you will probably get it tomorrow.

BanShunsaku said:
I don't think you will get it before release date. EB ships things with a "Do not deliver before xx/xx/xx" as far as I know.

And to be honest, from a few people's experiences, you might be lucky to get it on release date. Best bet would be to track it online, if it scans at your local depot tomorrow morning you will probably get it tomorrow.

Damn.

Well, my confirmation email says tey'll email when it's about to be shipped. So hopefully I get an email tomorrow, but I wont hold my breath.

Agyar

Oh boy, Bioshock 2 is getting the DLC vitriol flowing again. Publishers should wise up and artifically inflate the size of DLC downloads to stop people whining. Although then they would just whine because its not free.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Music is awesome. As i sit here listening to cynic - Traced in air at work, certain parts of certain songs remind me of leveling my DK in WoW a few months ago. I guess my brain likes music?

Anyone else have anything similar happen to them. Where your listening to a song and it *always* reminds of you a particular time in a game?

And why is today only tuesday. Go faster week.

Dizzan

MINI Member
I wonder if we are ever going to get the PSN Viseo store??

Also, The Pacific premieres in April in HD on Ch 7. Can't wait

Agyar

Dizzan said:

I still need to watch more than 10 minutes of Band of Brothers. I have it on Blu-ray but the suggestion of watching it elicits groans from my girlfriend. I will definitely be firing up an episode once I get my new speakers wired up though (which should be tonight, hopefully).

Dizzan said:

I wish I had your patience... I'll be watching it tonight, thus not watching it in HD.

So excited though, just finished re-watching Band of Brothers on blu-ray. If the Pacific is even half as good I will be happy :D

josh_tarrant

Neo Member
The first coldplay album always reminds me of playing the settlers - the first one on my PC.

I think i listened to the album on repeat continually whilst playing one weekend.

God I love the first settlers and the first Coldplay album.

rass

evlcookie said:
Music is awesome. As i sit here listening to cynic - Traced in air at work, certain parts of certain songs remind me of leveling my DK in WoW a few months ago. I guess my brain likes music?

Anyone else have anything similar happen to them. Where your listening to a song and it *always* reminds of you a particular time in a game?

Rancid - ...and out come the wolves
reminds me of playing Burnout revenge on PS2, because I listened to the album on repeat while I played :)

And listening to Bill Hicks makes me think of Gish, because I always listened to him while I played Gish haha.

edit:
I am in holiday mode, doing no work. I wish this week would eff off too.

evlcookie - do you know if you stock macbook pro batteries? for an MBP 15" model 2,2
I need to get one by Friday, organisation fail.

I listened to the Disaster Cast number 3 last night while cooking dinner. Pretty good work, guys, even in spite of the sound issues about two-thirds of the way through. Have some of you done voice/broadcasting work in the past? I ask because alistairw sounded way too polished for it to have just been your third time.

Also, is it pronounced "prem-iss" or is it "prem-eyes"?

Also, you guys play way more games than I do. I tried imagining what I would say if I were to join in on the conversation. It'd be like

So, what have you been playing, squirrel?

Well I've been playing this game that just got released via DD last year. I think you might have heard of it. It's called Majora's Mask.

Oh, so have you finished it?

Um... no. I've been playing it for the past month solid since I really only get to play a few hours a week

Right... um... so, moving on. How 'bout that Heavy Rain?

pilonv1

EB now moving to DS Lite's in anticipation for Pokemans.

#EBGamesAus Can't remember the last time u played yr Wii, what about yr DS Lite? Get $100 store credit 4 it right now. Seriously! about 1 hours ago via web

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
iam.rass said:
evlcookie - do you know if you stock macbook pro batteries? for an MBP 15" model 2,2
I need to get one by Friday, organisation fail.

So it's a macbook pro (15" Core 2 Duo)?

Going by mactracker it says you need an MA348G/A battery, if i'm looking at the proper macbook pro. They are $199 :lol . You can order it from apples online store and get free shipping.

Some of our stores seem to have one or two max available, if you wish to believe in the system we use. Since you have the week off it's probably easier to order it from apple, ship it to your house and you can just play games for the rest of the week :D

And i can't get it for you cheaper. Apple purchases are crazy as fuck strict.

rass

evlcookie said:

Going by mactracker it says you need an MA348G/A battery, if i'm looking at the proper macbook pro. They are $199 :lol . You can order it from apples online store and get free shipping.

Some of our stores seem to have one or two max available, if you wish to believe in the system we use. Since you have the week off it's probably easier to order it from apple, ship it to your house and you can just play games for the rest of the week :D

ahhh fuck. I knew you wouldn't be able to get it cheaper, just hoping to actually get one - unfortunately I'm at work this week, but then... month off :)

I found a place online that can overnight it but I'd rather pick it up, I figure a 15 minute battery won't be much use on holiday haha.
And yeah, core 2 duo 2.16ghz.
macfixit have 3rd party ones for $144 but I doubt I'd have it by friday

cheers man

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Yea no worries. We are only allowed 1 apple purchase per year and i think batteries fall under that. Also we have none here :lol

Apple are very bloody strict on staff purchases. That shit doesn't even roll over either!

You could easily just drop into an apple store on the way home. There's enough around these days and just ask if they have that item number in stock. Shouldn't be too hard to track down and you won't really find anyone that goes below the $199 since you can't really sell apple products cheaper than apple. Awesome isn't it!

evlcookie said:

Cynic - Focus. Album of the year, every year.
Seeing them live on New Year's Day was one of the best experiences ever.

Oh, and as much as a timesink WoW was, the one thing that i did get out of it was discovering a heap of new music. Remembered i went through a whole discography in 1day to level fishing or something.

Dizzan said:
1month later premiere with ads = 720p weekly rip for me.

hirokazu

evlcookie said:

What sort of store is this?

MrSerrels

Choc said:
Interesting comments, i see third party wii games in every EB i visit ?

also you may have stumbled upon their ulterior motive

1. NRL comes out this week exclusively for wii
2. Lots of NRL fans want this
3. EB thinking lots of wii demand
4. 'Why buy new when you can buy 2nd hand juts to play NRL and cheaper!'
5. PROFIT!

I think I worded myself poorly, EB pretty much refuse to support certain third party titles – the new Silent Hill game for example and, from what I've been hearing, picking up limited stock of Red Steel 2, which is strange considering how much the first sold. Apparently getting them to stock any 'core' titles outside of first party Nintendo titles is near impossible.

I honestly think that some retailers have to take a lot of responsibility for how poorly these kind of games are selling on Wii. I understand that buyers have to take a lot of factors into account (marketing spend, pre-orders, etc) but I think to an extent some retailers have just given up on the Wii and this ad is evidence of that.

To an extent some gamers simply can't find the Wii games they want to play in stores – A Boy and his Blob, Muramasa, etc.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
hirokazu said:
What sort of store is this?

Apple reseller store?

Looks like shatter is now on steam for $10. Not too bad. I have it on PSN but i cbf turning the ps3 on to play it again, i might dick around with it on PC though. And it's meant to have some sort of multiplayer, so that could be fun.

And you're wrong sub. Traced in air > focus :D . Actually i seem to have a hard time getting into focus, i should er focus on it one night and try take it all in then see how i feel about it.

remz

When did the podcast get that awesome theme song? just listened to the 3rd ep to hear myself talk and was bombarded with fabulous beeps and boops. awesooome.

also screw EB, woohoo lotion

edit: super fun drinking game, listen to podcast 3- take a shot whenever you here me say, like, um or, aaaaah. get catatonic!

evlcookie said:

The entire Cake - Comfort Eagle album reminds me of two things: levelling up a Hunter in Arathi and levelling up my Orc Warrior in D-something. Where the Dark Portal is. From level 50-54.

Weirdly enough, Miley Cyrus' See You Again reminds me of levelling my warrior too. I wonder why. :/

fappenmeister said:
I prefer Focus. The songs are more memorable, new one is alright but something about it isn't as good. Also, I really suck at BFBC2.

I FUCKING LOVE HOCUS POCUS.

And don't worry about BF. You'd be surprised at how many people suck, even when they're doing everything right. (Like me. :()

MrSerrels

I have weird ones for music.

Odelay reminds me of F-Zero on the SNES.
Little Earthquakes reminds me of Goldeneye.
The Strokes second album reminds me of Metroid Prime.

rass

fappenmeister said:
I prefer Focus. The songs are more memorable, new one is alright but something about it isn't as good. Also, I really suck at BFBC2.
I was in a game with you the other day and you were tearing it apart! (squad battle in that snow level, our squad won in a final point showdown)
I think my K : D is about .50 maybe less haha

I was in a game against CryptiK yesterday and he pegged me 6 or 7 times, I got precisely zero kills. And I finally started trying other classes than assault, engineer is my favourite so far, recon is fun but I'm not a great sniper

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Installing ram into mac minis can kiss my ass. Stupid pain in the ass machine and i have to do 41 of them :/

GRRRRRRR!

And you are both wrong on focus. Traced in air is one of the best and most memorable albums i have heard. God damn it's perfect.

evlcookie said:
And you're wrong sub. Traced in air > focus :D . Actually i seem to have a hard time getting into focus, i should er focus on it one night and try take it all in then see how i feel about it.

evlcookie said:
And you are both wrong on focus. Traced in air is one of the best and most memorable albums i have heard. God damn it's perfect.

Traced in Air is a great album, very much so.
It's just that Focus is prog metal perfection; with its blend of prog, death metal, and jazz.

If you enjoyed Traced in Air, should check out Exivious' debut album. Instrumental prog featuring members of Cynic.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Will do sub, thanks.

I've been watching the big bang theory the past few days, halfway through S3 now. What are the chances of me moving into an apartment complex and living next door to a crazy hot girl who will fall for me with my nerdy qualities?

I'm going to say zero, but it's a dream.

Kritz

Banned
viciouskillersquirrel said:
I listened to the Disaster Cast number 3 last night while cooking dinner. Pretty good work, guys, even in spite of the sound issues about two-thirds of the way through. Have some of you done voice/broadcasting work in the past? I ask because alistairw sounded way too polished for it to have just been your third time.

Alistair has actually done something like this in the past. Although he appears to have died on us which is a bit of a shame in terms of losing the first good host we had for the show.

Choc is also pretty refined with speaking, hence him being the iHost 2.0. :D

remz said:
When did the podcast get that awesome theme song? just listened to the 3rd ep to hear myself talk and was bombarded with fabulous beeps and boops. awesooome.

All of the episodes that I've edited have had their themes stolen from NeoGAF's GAME soundtrack. I'm not even sure if I'm allowed to do that but I don't think they'll mind.

I'm getting the hang of editing these podcasts a bit quicker so who knows, we might end up with a weekly or fortnightly podcast. The current episode that we're trying to piece together between all the dropping outs is going to be a pain... but we'll see.

Glad to see people are actually listening to it. And that my website's monthly bandwidth hasn't exploded yet.

Bernbaum

Mojo said:
This morning. I took the game out that I played last night (Darkside Chronicles) to play some Tatsunoko. Will play it for another 3 hours tonight. Eat a penis morans.

VOOK said:
More like;

2relbpz.png
Amen.

BanShunsaku said:
I wish I had your patience... I'll be watching it tonight, thus not watching it in HD.

So excited though, just finished re-watching Band of Brothers on blu-ray. If the Pacific is even half as good I will be happy :D
Very likely that you'll be getting the same copy that I acquired this morning. You will be happy to hear that the quality is fine and our collection of video always looks just super when streamed through the PS3 on our serviceable 32" HDTV.

I picked up a re-labeled import copy of Flower, Sun and Rain for $20 from Kmart of all places. I knew EB and GAME did the re-labeled import thing, but was surprised to see department retailers doing it also.

iam.rass said:
I was in a game with you the other day and you were tearing it apart! (squad battle in that snow level, our squad won in a final point showdown)
I think my K : D is about .50 maybe less haha

I was in a game against CryptiK yesterday and he pegged me 6 or 7 times, I got precisely zero kills. And I finally started trying other classes than assault, engineer is my favourite so far, recon is fun but I'm not a great sniper

:lol Dirty Cryp.

Are you sure we were in the same game? I don't think I've played a squad rush match yet.

Nemesis_

I picked up a re-labeled import copy of Flower, Sun and Rain for $20 from Kmart of all places. I knew EB and GAME did the re-labeled import thing, but was surprised to see department retailers doing it also.

You DO realise that the publishers/distributors themselves import these copies from, say, the UK and then slap an OFLC sticker on them? It's not really the retailer in a situation like Flower Sun and Rain where the title is already niche enough for the publisher to invest money in printing OFLC covers for a game that's gonna sell, what, like five copies in the country?

Bernbaum

Well that explains it. My understanding was that the practice occurred at the retailer level at places like GAME where they have to be sold as Pre-owned games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom