• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGaf |Early 2016 Election| - the government's term has been... Shortened

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-...nal-electorates-may-be-ignored-by-mps/8941410

SSM: Electorates with lowest support for same-sex marriage may be ignored by MPs despite postal survey

As someone in one of those electorates this makes me mad.

Warringah is one of the highest supporters. Must really piss off Tones.

Also, unfortunately, Xenophon lost a huge chunk of my respect by actually making a deal with the government to pass that media 'reform' bill (aka give Murdoch the ability to grab more media power in this country), which will also hamper the ABC's independence with the addition of "fair and balanced" to its charter (aka give "opposing sides" equal time and credibility even when they flagrantly don't deserve it). Fucking hell.

Nick says he won't support the ABC 'reforms' bill ONP wants in return but Nick has been known to sell anyone out for a buck to one of his pet causes.

Also if we had a Federal ICAC, Stuart Robert would be in prison by now. Guy is a deadset crook.

hirokazu

The article link is saying there are electorates where the Yes vote polls under 50% but the MP is going to vote for any SSM bill anyway.

Since that sort of counteracts electorates like Abbott's where the Yes vote has the clear majority yet the MP will not voting against.

So the assumption is you'd only be unhappy with that if you're against SSM.

danm999

It's almost like MPs will be "free" to "vote" in ways that they deem fit in Parliament regardless of what their electorate thinks.

Intriguing concept that. Wonder if it catches on.

It's more that the Liberals never set out what they were using the survey for
because the real reason is a delay / red meat thing and also because they want to cherry pick personal / electorate / state / federal results to vote as they wish with minimal consequences. Which means that people voting against their electorate based on the national result still makes sense (particularly a high threshold one).

Yagharek

The article link is saying there are electorates where the Yes vote polls under 50% but the MP is going to vote for any SSM bill anyway.

Since that sort of counteracts electorates like Abbott's where the Yes vote has the clear majority yet the MP will not voting against.

So the assumption is you'd only be unhappy with that if you're against SSM.

Exactly.

Spectone, please read the article you link to and clarify your comment if you have an issue with my response.

Bernbaum

We haven't received our ballots in the post yet. Three enrolled voters at this address, so I assume we'll get them all on the same day. Anyone else in inner suburb Brisbane not receive theirs yet?

Spectone

Exactly.

Spectone, please read the article you link to and clarify your comment if you have an issue with my response.

I'm pretty sure the chart in the article implies that in my electorate Groom my MP will vote no regardless of what the electorate says.

We haven't received our ballots in the post yet. Three enrolled voters at this address, so I assume we'll get them all on the same day. Anyone else in inner suburb Brisbane not receive theirs yet?

They are mailing them in batches all the way up to the 25th, so might be a while yet.

Quasar

Another Melbourne council voted to stop celebrating Australia Day, but will keep holding citizenship ceremonies on that date.

Also, unfortunately, Xenophon lost a huge chunk of my respect by actually making a deal with the government to pass that media 'reform' bill (aka give Murdoch the ability to grab more media power in this country), which will also hamper the ABC's independence with the addition of "fair and balanced" to its charter (aka give "opposing sides" equal time and credibility even when they flagrantly don't deserve it). Fucking hell.

Yeah. Just what we want even more concentration of media in this country. Now I half expect Murdoch to get his hands on 10 and Nine and Fairfax to merge as a starter.

In exchange we get Xenophons Enquiry into google and Facebook and the lnp working with Hanson on the abc witchhunt.

danm999

Lots of talk from prominent No figures that civil servants should be exempt from marrying same sex couples if it goes against their beliefs. Sort of like Kim Davis in the US.

Seems like they think they're going to get absolutely rinsed by the vote.

wonzo

Banned
finally got my dumb survey and immediately filled it out. still worried people are really underestimating how reactionary and conservative the electorate can be. if there's one person that can flip things around its that fucking toad howard

hirokazu

Lots of talk from prominent No figures that civil servants should be exempt from marrying same sex couples if it goes against their beliefs. Sort of like Kim Davis in the US.

Seems like they think they're going to get absolutely rinsed by the vote.
See, it was never about anything other than their backward religious views. That's the only thing the No campaign has ever said that had anything to do with the poll question.

All the other crap about kids being forced to learn how to be gay had nothing to do with it, they know that people who aren't batshit religious nutters won't care about what they have to say about it being against their religion but have the potential to be swayed by that sort of scaremongering.

But yeah nah, if they want that privilege, they should be working for the church, not as a civil servant. Churches shouldn't have had that privilege to begin with.

Bernbaum

From the Australian

Mr Dutton today argued the postal vote should settle the issue of same sex marriage for the Liberal Party, as he took aim at “fringe elements” on the Yes campaign for hijacking the debate to push a broader agenda including the promotion of initiatives like the Safe Schools program.

That is incorrect. The Yes campaign have not been conflating the issue with other matters. Rather, that has been the strategy of opponents of Marriage Equality, who have been more than happy to hijack the issue. The agenda described by Peter Dutton exists only in his imagination. This mindset is quite telling about how opponents to SSM perceive the issue - as an assault on their conservative Christian world view. For some of them, the issues of Safe Schools, transgender matters, gay marriage, polygamy, are all the same thing. The Yes camp have been much clearer and focused with their message.

I'm still nervous the survey will be 'fiddled with' like Howard did with the Republic referendum, but from the articles I'm seeing in the Australia, it looks like they're trying to form a position that makes it feel like they've got the moral high ground in the face of a campaign they will probably lose. See for example Paul Kelly and John Howards new angle about protecting Religious Freedoms. Again, for them this is not about affording equal rights to loving partners, but a reduced role for religion in the modern day. Whenever I hear 'Religious Freedom' all I hear is an excuse to privately discriminate.

There also hasn't been an attack on freedom of speech. Everyone has been able to speak their mind, it's just that one line of argument sounds much more discriminatory and exclusive when exposed to the harsh light of day.

danm999

Yeah Dutton's projecting. It's his side conflating the issue. He also won't accept the result if Yes wins.

The Federal funding for Safe Schools runs out shortly. It's going away under the current government no matter what.

Can't read the article but perhaps he could be talking about the recent release of Benjamin Law's Quarterly Essay on safe schools. No doubt though the conflation was started by the no proponents and the only reason Law's essay is getting the publicity it is, is because the same people are attacking it too.

Dutton is also offering 25k, if they ever see it, to Rohingya refugees on Manus to go home. Just when you think he can't sink any lower...

yepyepyep

Brexit and Trump have set me up for disappointment. Also there is reports of people collecting survey envelopes and dumping them. Never the underestimate the stupidity and cruelty of the right.

Rlan

Got my survey, now that i live in NZ but can still vote for it. For overseas voters they get a website & code to go to, which seems like a way better idea than having to post stuff back.

Dumb thing: the website's not up at the moment, you can't submit until the 25th of September, so i got the postal vote but i can't submit for another week or so. Real dumb.

George Christensen alerts Human Rights Commission to 'vote no' sacked worker

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/progr...o-vote-no-sacked-worker/8964552?sf115501366=1

I'll admit that does bother me.

Betcha George is fully supportive of Christian schools that take public funds sacking teachers/staff that come out as gay. The minority religious lot that demand religious protections are sure hesitant to provide the rest of us with anti-religious protections. Shocked I am not.

Quasar

Betcha George is fully supportive of Christian schools that take public funds sacking teachers/staff that come out as gay. The minority religious lot that demand religious protections are sure hesitant to provide the rest of us with anti-religious protections. Shocked I am not.

Obviously.

Still I'd hate to see this lead to a war of mass sackings because you happen to be on the wrong side compared to business owners. I guess more reason to not publicly state any political opinions in this climate.

Non-sequitur: I do not understand how Tony Abbott is still a thing.

He's not really. Not Tony Abbott as a person anyway. He's more of a totem that those unhappy with Turnbull'd leadership because Turnbull is a "left-winger" (he's actually a cookie cutter pro-business sorta social liberal) and willing to take advantage of Turnbull's weak political position (he can't afford to have more than 2 - 3 defectors at best ) to hold off what they see as the dangerous leftward March of the enviro-rainbow fascists. Turnbull has mostly responded by folding like a portable chair.

Abbott's relative unimportance as an actual person is shown by this whole marriage equality survey where Lyle Shelton (mostly a nobody) is getting way more attention.

bomma_man

Non-sequitur: I do not understand how Tony Abbott is still a thing.

images%2Fvideo%2F2015%2F09%2F15%2FONION.gif

clearly not of this world

Dead Man

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/09/17/yes-marriage-unites-sa-politicians

Mr Pyne - a Turnbull cabinet minister - was confident the nation would return a yes vote and same-sex marriage could be legalised by Christmas.

One of their fellow SA federal representatives, Australian Conservatives senator Cory Bernardi, on Saturday told the launch of 'no' campaign they were on the right side of history.

My Pyne said those on the 'no' side wanted Australians to be frightened of the "otherness in our community".

"That has been a hallmark of ultra-conservatives for centuries, to sow fear in the community," he said.

"If Senator Bernardi or anybody else thinks that is the best way to get a no vote - by negatively campaigning - well good luck to them. But I'm campaigning on the side of positive social change."

First decent thing I've heard the grub say.

God reading Facebook is so rage inducing these days. What is wrong with people?

On the plus side, I've weeded some people out of my friends list

Is Tony convinced that climate denialism is still an election-winning position? I'm pretty sure the "AXE THE TAX" fear-mongering has lost its influence after everyone realized that axing the carbon tax didn't help energy prices one bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom