• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australia is getting screwed on game prices

bitbydeath

Australia is really getting bent over when it comes to the more expensive titles and I don’t understand why.

Here’s an example where it works:
Helldivers 2 $40 US

bA5kqRa.jpg

Australian conversion $60
Q1Ugh0b.jpg

That is bang on

moDkyN6.jpg

Meanwhile Stella Blade $70 US
tIu5luJ.jpg

Somehow converts to $125 AUD

1QOJpNP.jpg

When it should equal $107 AUD.

1cxHheA.jpg

This is the equivalent of the US paying for $80 games.

fX7WO86.jpg

200.gif

Why is the Australian dollar's value so low?
Pretty much is summarised in here:

The RRP used to be 99 doliroos but got increased to 125 when Take Two stated the $60 to $70 transition.

Inflation is still relatively high in the country, house pricing is through the roof, rent vacancy is at all time low, and a few other factors.

Also, a low Aussie dollar attracts investment to foreign ones.

When I arrived in the country almost 7 years ago, conversion was about 81 usd cents for every Aussie dollar. When covid hit it was 55 cents per dollar and it has remained between 64-66 for the last couple of years.

MSRP for Stellar Blade in most of Europe is €80 and the cheapest option I've found so far puts it at €70. :lollipop_pensive:

That said, I hope to snag it around €60 since I have pre-order discount at a local game shop. Just need for them to put the listing up already. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
Lol, those prices are pretty low compared to Europe.
Helldivers there costs 40 AU$. That converts to 24€. But t6he game costs here the full 40€.
It’s 60 doliroos here.

It's even worse in Europe lil bro.

Stellar Blade is 79.99€ = 86,21$.
MSRP for Stellar Blade in most of Europe is €80 and the cheapest option I've found so far puts it at €70. :lollipop_pensive:
European prices include VAT which can go from 17 to around 22%.

That said, I hope to snag it around €60 since I have pre-order discount at a local game shop. Just need for them to put the listing up already. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Another reason why I don't buy 99% of games on launch and mostly just get used copies for my PS5. This industry doesn't deserve it anymore.
Last game I didn't buy used was Elden Ring and this is what I will probably do with GTA VI. The other companies just don't give me the feeling that they are deserving of my hard-earned money with their shady business practices.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Another reason why I don't buy 99% of games on launch and mostly just get used copies for my PS5. This industry doesn't deserve it anymore.
Last game I didn't buy used was Elden Ring and this is what I will probably do with GTA VI. The other companies just don't give me the feeling that they are deserving of my hard-earned money with their shady business practices.
Same, it’s very difficult to find these inflated prices worth it for day 1.

To be honest, I don't mind paying full MSRP for physical games, but for digital ones on console, the pricing is kinda wild. It just doesn't sit well with me to pay €80 for a digital game license in a walled garden.

I miss when our dollar was at parity. It was cheaper to import tires and the like from the US and get them fitted here than it was to buy locally. I'm all for supporting local businesses and I buy Australian Made when I can but they gotta be competitive too.

Yeah but you have Isla fisher so well call it even

Sexy Gal Gadot GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment
Wedding Crashers Flirting GIF by filmeditor

Last edited:

Yoboman

Unfortunately not a new phenomenon. Games have been reaching $120 since the PS3 era. I used to basically get 2 for 1 by importing games on PS3

Best you can do other is you can go JB Hi-fi and get them for about $20 less but it's still more than they were charging on games last gen

I put the blame on the EB Games monopoly that was here for a long time. They introduced enormous mark ups and never dropped prices even when JB Hifi gave us a reprieve for a little while but the idea of charging $120 is not new here

So cheer anytime you see an EB Games going out of business

Will also add there seems to be a new game tax happening because game prices drop quickly sometimes up to 50%

bender

What time is it?
Don't blame your shit on us. Foster's is barely more Australian than outback steakhouse. We don't drink that piss

DO8nCtI.jpg

Those assholes created that garbage in Australia and had the nerve to export it so Australia can hold that L. If Australia had any self respect they should have deported the brothers after taking the first sip of that swill.

Last edited:

Gryllis

Neo Member
It's only Sony first party games. They jumped to AUD $125 this generation, which is probably a bit too much.

Most other publishers are $110 to $120. FF VII Rebirth is $115, which is bang on USD $70 + 10% GST.

We've actually been getting a pretty good deal on Nintendo games. Besides Zelda, they've stayed at $80.

JaksGhost

That actually aligns with the US price when you include tax in certain areas. For example I'm in Texas where the sales tax is 8.25%. I paid $75.78 to pre-order the game, but in other states that could go either up or down depending on their state's sales tax and if they impose other local taxes.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Those assholes created that garbage in Australia and had the nerve to export it so Australia can hold that L. If Australia had any self respect they should have deported the brothers after taking the first sip of that swill.
They were deported shortly after

Foster's has never been successful in Australia and isn't even sold here now. Blame Americans for creating it, now manufacturing and still buying it

IDappa

Pretty much is summarised in here:

The RRP used to be 99 doliroos but got increased to 125 when Take Two stated the $60 to $70 transition.

Inflation is still relatively high in the country, house pricing is through the roof, rent vacancy is at all time low, and a few other factors.

Also, a low Aussie dollar attracts investment to foreign ones.

When I arrived in the country almost 7 years ago, conversion was about 81 usd cents for every Aussie dollar. When covid hit it was 55 cents per dollar and it has remained between 64-66 for the last couple of years.
Been like this forever old excuse used to bee “shipping” yet I could import games for cheaper.. companies do it because they can get away with it. Aussies pay more for everything not just games.

Bojji

Australia is really getting bent over when it comes to the more expensive titles and I don’t understand why.

Helldivers 2 $40 US

bA5kqRa.jpg

Q1Ugh0b.jpg

That is bang on

moDkyN6.jpg

tIu5luJ.jpg

1QOJpNP.jpg

1cxHheA.jpg

fX7WO86.jpg

200.gif

Same thing in Poland:

Cd5RwsH.jpg
7ee4NI3.jpg

Zathalus

As mentioned US prices don't include tax, so you are getting a bargain on Helldivers 2. Or play it on PC where you can pick up Helldivers for 47 Australian dollars. Out of luck for Stellar Blade though.

Topher

Gold Member
I provided an example where the correct conversion rate is applied (Helldivers 2), it’s the $70 games that are being treated as though they are $80.

Talking about taxes. Not conversion rates. Where I live, $70 is $75 at checkout. That converts to 114.85 AUD. So you are paying about $10 AUD/$6.50 USD more than I am where I live.

Montana prices have 0 sales tax. 😀

Ain't no people there to tax my man

You Got It Reaction GIF by BrownSugarApp

Last edited:

Traxtech

Australia has a way higher minimum wage too. So even after gst the majority of us here have it pretty good.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Arent game prices in Australia boosted because the law there allows gamers to return games for a refund? So stores will increase prices knowing a portion of gamers will refund it?

Bernardougf

Gold Member

Helldivers 2 $40 US

bA5kqRa.jpg

Q1Ugh0b.jpg

That is bang on

moDkyN6.jpg

tIu5luJ.jpg

1QOJpNP.jpg

1cxHheA.jpg

fX7WO86.jpg

200.gif
Come to Brazil and comeback feeling instantly better

Dane

Was there a parity to dollar conversion back then? Because in Brazil for example, PS Store prices were always the worst, even eShop is better.

Top Bottom