• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian billionaire plans to unveil the design for Titanic 2 on February 26, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

strafer

dis gun b gud

Shipping company Blue Star Line has announced a new date for the global launch next year of Titanic II on the retired aircraft carrier USS Intrepid in New York and has also rescheduled five other Titanic II events around the world.

In April, 2012, Professor Clive Palmer, a leading Australian businessman and owner of Blue Star Line, declared to the world his intention to build Titanic II, a full-scale recreation of the world’s most famous cruise liner.

The six Titanic II events were originally scheduled to take place in December, 2012. However, following the devastation caused in New York and along the east coast of the
United States by Hurricane Sandy the decision was made to postpone all events until 2013.

Professor Palmer said the New York global launch and gala dinner will now be held on USS Intrepid on Tuesday, February 26, 2013, where he will officially unveil the plans for Titanic II.

Other Titanic II events will be held on February 16 in Macau, February 25 in Boston, March 1 in Halifax, Nova Scotia in Canada as well as two launches in England on March 2 in London and March 5 in Southampton.
Professor Palmer said as the scheduled destination for RMS Titanic on her maiden voyage in April, 1912, New York has been central to the tragic ship’s story for more than a century.

“She would have docked at New York’s Pier 59, just a short distance from the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum where we will hold our global launch,” he said.

“Ultimately, only around 700 passengers and crew made it to New York when the rescue ship Carpathia arrived on April 18, 1912.

“While looking ahead to the exciting Titanic II project, we shall commemorate the past by paying tribute to the courage of the passengers and crew, along with those who risked their lives in the rescue mission.”

Titanic II is scheduled to set sail from Southampton to New York on her maiden passenger voyage in 2016.

In April, 2012, Blue Star Line signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Chinese
company CSC Jinling to build Titanic II, while plans for the ship have been commenced by Finnish-based marine design and engineering company Deltamarin.

http://bluestarline.com.au/?p=1303

Roche

I don't think this is such a bad idea, I'm sure there's plenty of people who would pay for a voyage on a Titanic recreation.

Why would anyone sink their money into this?

This will go down well.

amhadinjad7kub1.jpg

I'd like a job on the ship.I could meet a rich girl and fall in love..

And when the ship sinks... It'd be all over.

we all know thanks to global warming this ship has safe passage

Al-ibn Kermit

I guess it would be kind of cool as a floating museum with a lot of the old furniture and stuff restored (maybe). Of course, you can't call it a proper full-scale recreation if there's enough lifeboats for everybody.

Madness

Imagine how many people would want to be the first to do the 'I'm the King of the World!' stand on the tip.

He will be know for "The King of Waisting Money" of the world. :p

I really want a journalist there to ask what the iceberg protection is like on the ship.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Titanic II: Sink Harder With A Vengeance

As long they don't take it near ice burgs or let Leonardo DiCapiro on it, I think they'll be fine.

Madness

There are people who thought Titanic was a fake event made up for a movie? I don't even know what to say...

jaxword

There are people who thought Titanic was a fake event made up for a movie? I don't even know what to say...

There are people on GAF who think that ghosts and demons go around possessing people.

Do not act aghast at what people will believe.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Wouldn't a recreation of 100 year old ship be somewhat out of date?
Meaning not that great of a cruise experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom