• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian retailer clearing Wii U's - $214 premium, $174 basic

chadboban

I didn't mean to imply the games weren't good games. But I have enough to play as is, and I have no inkling to play a new Mario/Zelda/Donkey Kong etc. If I had some past association with Nintendo's franchises I may have bitten the bullet as I may be more infclined to want to play them, but since I don't it's an easy choice for me to make.
Especially with the next gen consoles being released within a couple of months.

Oh okay, that's cool. Yeah there's a lot of stuff coming out. Great time to be a gamer no matter what systems you own if you ask me.

Jimrpg

yep... not even worth worrying about when its on ozbargain AND its a dick smith sale...

Dick Smith - masters of low stock (zero stock) sale

I did consider a Wii U - but the only game im interested in so far is just New Super Mario Bros U because i liked the Wii one so much...

elfinke

image.jpg

That's the ad from the paper in Melbourne that sparked the Ozbargain frenzy. It ought to also include 3DS's (and it DOES include the Disney Start Kit, despite what the ad says), but my local DSE had cleared their 3DS stock yonks ago.

$150 or thereabout for a 3DSXL and I was in.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
I was tempted, but the WiiU just doesn't seem to have much of a library. I have interest in Mario or Zelda, and playing Black Ops 2 on a subpar console doesn't sound like a very wise move.

Sad. I do love a bargain.

Hypron

I got a basic Wii-U for NZ$150 back when Dick Smith liquidated their stocks here, and The Wonderful 101 single handedly validated my purchase. Considering there are a couple of other really cool games that are going to come out (Bayonetta, Mario Kart, and some other stuff) it's a console worth owning if you can get it for cheap. AUS$174 is a bit more expensive than what I paid but I doubt the price will go below that anytime soon.

consoul

Called 9 stores near me in Sydney.

2 stores old out. 6 stores didn't answer the phone. 1 has the phone off the hook.

If you're interested in playing any games that are coming to Wii U, I don't see why you wouldn't get one at this price. I'm mostly keen for Bayo 2, Wonderful 101 and X. I'll likely pick up NSMBU for cheap.

It is highly unlikely you will be able to get one for a similar price until 2015 I think, unless it hyper bombs ala Gamecube. I was stoked when I got a PS3 for $350 from Catch of the Day and that was when the machine has been out for 2.5 years!

leng jai

The chances of actually getting one are slim and if you live in the city forget it. Does this mean they're no longer carrying the Wii U?

Just got a premium from Dick Smith Bateau Bay (Central Coast) and they have 1 basic model left. They will even hold it for you (unlike other stores)...

The chances of actually getting one are slim and if you live in the city forget it. Does this mean they're no longer carrying the Wii U?

Word on the street is that Dick Smith is getting out of the gaming business altogether. They've defnitely stopped stocking Nintendo products, but pulling out of gaming altogether is just a rumour.

Danny-Boy

Bought the basic for $174 and a wii u pro controller for $35. Haven't opened it up as I'm having second thoughts on keeping it.

I absolutely hate the gamepad with an extreme passion. I'm only interested in windwaker and zelda wii u. I'm hoping I can player windwaker on the pro controller but knowing nintendo they'll shoehorn stupid gimmicks in zelda wii u that requires you to use only the gamepad.

By the way DS Bankstown had 3 basics in front of the counter. I had to go in they wouldn't answer the phone.

Danny-Boy

Too big and cumbersome. It gets tiring. Have to get in a position to rest it in my lap. I hate taking me eyes off the big screen and look down at the gamepad. Hopeless battery that loses it's charge even if you don't play it. Can't take it anywhere in the house because of the limited range. Pathetic controller vibration. Too expensive too replace. SD quality. I hate touch screen gimmicks. Getting to the shoulder buttons feels awkward. Having the face buttons below the analogue controllers feels awkward.

I can't say a good thing about it. Absolutely nothing.

Zushin

Just got back from Dick Smith. Not only is the console half price. All the games and accessories are too. Got the Nunchucks/WiiMote + 2 games + Premium Console + Pro Controller for $335.

elfinke

Just got back from Dick Smith. Not only is the console half price. All the games and accessories are too. Got the Nunchucks/WiiMote + 2 games + Premium Console + Pro Controller for $335.

Did you happen to notice if the 3DS's were (in existence) on sale also?

Managed to get the last Premium in Fremantle. I already have The Wonderful 101 on my shelf, just waiting for this day to finally come. Feels Goodman.

Couldn't have happened to a more deserving console sent to die by a now shitty company.

Nintendo has the IPs. They have the potential. They have the pockets. They simply lack of the creativity now and desire to do what is needed. New management is needed at every level. This nintendo is not the Nintendo many of us grew up with.

imperium

Damn, I just left Australia yesterday. I would've picked up a basic for my daughter at that price. We went into an EB games on the Gold Coast, it never ceases to amaze me what you guys have to pay for games. Monster Hunter 3 for the 3DS was like $69.

Top Bottom