• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian retailer clearing Wii U's - $214 premium, $174 basic

Kujo

I was there earlier, the store had a couple of Premiums and Basics left. Almost got one, but then the problem is the lack of any decent budget software. 3 recent games alone will cost more than the premium. $60 for NSLU, $80 for Wind Waker HD and W101. While I still have a backlog, I can't bring myself to spend that much per title, and I wouldn't want the console to just collect dust while I wait. Alternatively, the PS3 and 360 have tons of quality titles I still need to play for under $30. I figure in a year or so, the Wii U might be slightly more expensive than this, but there should hopefully be a lot more and cheaper games available.

As for 3DS, yes that would be on sale too. I bought the 3DS XL there last time DSE had 25% or so off Nintendo. Problem is, there is little to no stock of any 3DS handhelds in the country as they stopped getting any in a while ago.

Between 2 stores, I managed to get 2 Wii U Pro Controllers, and a friend scored a Premium consoles, Pro Controller and NSMBU. Pretty happy with that.

Now to wait for Smash so I have something to actually use the Pro controllers with!

AndrewPL

Too big and cumbersome. It gets tiring. Have to get in a position to rest it in my lap. I hate taking me eyes off the big screen and look down at the gamepad. Hopeless battery that loses it's charge even if you don't play it. Can't take it anywhere in the house because of the limited range. Pathetic controller vibration. Too expensive too replace. SD quality. I hate touch screen gimmicks. Getting to the shoulder buttons feels awkward. Having the face buttons below the analogue controllers feels awkward.

I can't say a good thing about it. Absolutely nothing.

Wow, so why did you buy one? was there a single reason?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Very tempting, but I think I'll wait for similar deals come 2014 as October, November and December all have Steam sales.

AndrewPL

Congrats to everyone that was able to get one on clearance!

When it was on clearance for $200 in NZ, I grabbed an extra premium console for the extra control pad for when they make games that may use them and to use in the bedroom! (once they put in an account system and allow saves to be transfered I'll be good to go!)

Also picked up a 3rd one later on to get a white console. no intentions of selling.

Don't regret a thing, off TV gaming is where I want the future to be!

Applecot

But....oh right. I should be given the console.

Anyway, sounds like a great deal. Hope you Aussies can nab one.

This is half not an exaggeration but probably only 50 aussies in the country would've gotten one at this price. Most of them would've been staff.

Boom! Got it! I was half expecting them to have sold it to some chump who walked in off the street. The only games they had were black ops 2 and dance central 4. No thanks!

Where are the cheap games at? There was a mention of zombi u for $15?

Arozay

Tempting, but there's nothing I'm interested in which would take priority over my backlog. Plus I'm only interested in Kart and Smash at the moment.

Frodo

Guys! Download the TW101 demo and give it a try. Start it on easy on your first play-through and then try it again on Normal. The full game is absolutely a must have, specially if you enjoy action games, or if you like previous Platinum Games titles.

And some posts on this thread are just ridiculous. Some people are trying just too hard. I don't know why they even bother to click on a thread just to say how ludicrously low the price would need to be for them to be tempted to buy a Wii U, like it would be a honour for Nintendo to have a Wii U sold to them. A break. Give it to me.

Dingotech

Well I couldn't resist, bought a basic console for $174, ZombiU for $25 and a Pro Controller for $35.

I was wondering what it would take for me to buy one of these!

mrblippy

Neo Member
Only just saw this thread :( Will swing by my local store first thing in the morning to see if they have any consoles left. Don't like my chances though.

Any Hobart gaffers know if stores sold out there today?

Danny-Boy

Wow, so why did you buy one? was there a single reason?

I like Nintendo (not as much as Sony though), and I absolutely love the Legend of Zelda series (2nd favorite series after Metal Gear). I also like the Metroid Prime series and the Mario Galaxy games. I just hate that they went with a gamepad. I think it was a bad choice, they should have stuck with nunchuck + wiimote and a power horse machine.

Back to the purchase, for $174 it's basically my Zelda machine with a Mario and Metroid thrown in along the way. I'm just hoping Nintendo give us the choice of playing with the pro controller. If not I just have to suck it up and curse my way through the game for having to use it.

You know what?

The WiiU Pro controller is the best controller ever. Even bests the 360 controller.

Holy shit it's amazing.
First time I've heard this opinion.

GC> 360> DS3> Pro

The button placement and digital triggers were the end for me. Oddly enough, the gamepad isn't as uncomfortable as one would imagine.

IrishNinja

$200 too expensive

TheVoice8.gif

you tried, tho
ny6.gif

Madness

To be honest, I love Nintendo. Owned almost every console/handheld upto the Wii (did not own Virtual Boy). Heck I still own the game boxes, manuals, for every accessory and game I've ever bought for Nintendo systems.

But I wouldn't even buy one at this price. Heck, I probably won't even buy one until it's like $129 or less for the best model. It just seems like a waste of money to me, even if I can easily afford it. It's like, why even spend the money for a console that I probably won't play much, if at all in a little while.

My cousin bought a Wii, aside from a few Wii sports matches or smash bros. Brawl, it went nearly useless to him, just a dust magnet.

jeffers

To be honest, I love Nintendo. Owned almost every console/handheld upto the Wii (did not own Virtual Boy). Heck I still own the game boxes, manuals, for every accessory and game I've ever bought for Nintendo systems.

But I wouldn't even buy one at this price. Heck, I probably won't even buy one until it's like $129 or less for the best model. It just seems like a waste of money to me, even if I can easily afford it. It's like, why even spend the money for a console that I probably won't play much, if at all in a little while.

My cousin bought a Wii, aside from a few Wii sports matches or smash bros. Brawl, it went nearly useless to him, just a dust magnet.

theres loads of good wii games though, just they arent marketed right to your face. go borrow it off him and buy all the titles now at bargain bin prices.

First time I've heard this opinion.

GC> 360> DS3> Pro

The button placement and digital triggers were the end for me. Oddly enough, the gamepad isn't as uncomfortable as one would imagine.

Just adding that I share that opinion. I have been using a 360 Controller on my PC and the Wii U Pro, and the Pro is pretty much better in every way (to me). Don't really get the whole fuss over analogue triggers, only really affects certain driving game controller set ups. The indented sticks on the 360 are nice, but don't make up for the asymmetry and horrible dead zone.

That being said, the Xbox 360 triggers just feel like loose plastic sitting on a spring to me, definitely nothing to drool over, but they get the job done. I understand their isn't much competition as far as the trigger systems (until the PS4 and Xbox One controllers are out), but for most game types I prefer the instant response.

I thought newer Wii Us were coming with that huge patch pre-installed? Mine didn't, but then all the pamphlets and stuff inside the box say 2012 on them so I wouldn't be surprised if it'd just been sitting on a shelf since launch :p

Oh well, finally it's W101 time.

I thought newer Wii Us were coming with that huge patch pre-installed? Mine didn't, but then all the pamphlets and stuff inside the box say 2012 on them so I wouldn't be surprised if it'd just been sitting on a shelf since launch :p

Oh well, finally it's W101 time.

These Wii U's were almost certainly launch stock. Mine needed that slow arse update as well. I guess that explains why they were practically throwing them out at this price.

I'm surprised that so many people were able to get these. Usually Dick Smith deals have practically no stock, but if you're lucky there might still be a few of these around.

jambo

I'm surprised that so many people were able to get these. Usually Dick Smith deals have practically no stock, but if you're lucky there might still be a few of these around.

I was talking to the guy at my Dick Smiths and he said that they had a "no hold" policy and staff weren't allowed to buy any stock until after 4pm.

That last big sale ended up being a joke because of staff just taking all the good stuff days beforehand.

Top Bottom