• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autism - Welcome to the Spectrum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Awareness Month!

So, I'm putting together an autism website for an ex-teacher and would like all of your input.

Today was spent researching Allison Tipper. Not the the most fun ever.

I'm so glad to see this thread. My oldest has autism, and I wrote this for my blog for Autism Awareness Day:

Alright, time to get real with you guys.

So, most of you may know (but some probably don't) that my oldest, Skyler, has Autism. Autism Spectrum Disorder has become more and more common in today's society, with a staggering 1 in 68 people on the spectrum. Whether these kids are on the lighter side of the spectrum (i.e. Aspergers) or more severe (like my little boy), it's likely that you know someone who has been affected by ASD.

Autism manifests itself differently for everyone with some common symptoms. People with autism may view the world differently than others. They may become fixated on certain subjects in school. They may become easily overstimulated in loud environments, bright lights or changes to their routine. They may deal with stress, happiness, anger, irritation, sadness though “stimming” (adding physical pressure to distract themselves). This is why you might see kids with autism flap their hands, hold their hands up to their ears and hum, or tiptoe to put their entire weight on one concentrated place.

It was these “stimming” behaviors that first brought to our minds that something might be different about our little boy. At a year and a half, he wasn’t communicating at the same level as his cousin of the same age. He spent more time on his toes than flat on his feet. He would get excited and flap away. My wife and I were in denial that anything was wrong, but eventually we couldn’t ignore it any more. I will never forget that phone call form my wife after the appointment. I was in a training for work and couldn’t be there, but my heart immediately dropped.

Scenes from Rain Man came to mind in a whole different light, and I was scared. Scared for the future of my little boy. Scared for the struggles that he would have. Scared that I am not good enough to be everything that he needs. My wife and I would pray for understanding in tears, for some modicum of comfort. Nearly 5 years later, so much has changed for our family. While times can still be tough, every day our little boy is teaching us new things.

Skyler has so many struggles every day. Skyler is only semi-verbal and has a rough time communicating a lot of the time. Most of what he says is echolalia: repetition of things that he has heard from other sources. Imagine Bumblebee from the Transformers who uses radio stations, sound bytes, and songs to convey what he feels. My little Skyler is the same way. He will quote tv shows, movies, or my wife and I in order to get his points across.
Everyday things can be tough for Sky. He has a very limited diet that can change simply based on the look or texture of something. A simple change like the discontinuation of his favorite chicken nuggets becomes a life altering event. Meal time can often become stressful, leading to frustration for both Skyler and my wife and I. We can see that he wants to tell us what’s wrong with that piece of pizza that he ate just fine a week before, but he can’t, and we can’t let him go hungry.

Imagine for yourself what it must feel like to be him: at times trapped in your own mind. It’s a harrowing thought, and I know that I would not be able to personally go through what he deals with on a daily basis. Luckily Skyler is stronger than I am. Despite his communication issues, he taught himself how to read at 3. No, seriously, 3! He reads much more quickly than kids twice his age and wows us every day with his amazing memory skills. This is one smart little guy.

As my wife and I look at each day, we know that there will be struggles. We know that we won’t be able to understand everything that is happening with our little boy, but we are learning little by little. Slowly we feel more of that comfort that we prayed for so long ago. Slowly his future comes into play, and we see his mind developing more and more.
Here’s the thing about Autism: you can’t rush to understand everything all at once. You have to get down to their level to try to see the world from their point of view. Which means that sometimes you don’t run. You tiptoe.

void666

Banned
I'm not diagnosed and people laugh at me when i mention autism. But i have so many autistic characteristics. And i'm always discovering something new that better explains the way i am.

VyechnayaSlava mentioned stimming in his/her post. I had never heard about it before.
After some google searching and holy shit. I do stimming all the time. Some even cause me pain.
Sometimes when i talk to someone at work i often grab a scissor, place the handle around my finger and spin it as fast as i can. I've been doing this for years. I usually don't even notice i'm doing it.

I'm not diagnosed and people laugh at me when i mention autism. But i have so many autistic characteristics. And i'm always discovering something new that better explains the way i am.

VyechnayaSlava mentioned stimming in his/her post. I had never heard about it before.
After some google searching and holy shit. I do stimming all the time. Some even cause me pain.
Sometimes when i talk to someone at work i often grab a scissor, place the handle around my finger and spin it as fast as i can. I've been doing this for years. I usually don't even notice i'm doing it.

Oh yeah, that's definitely the type of thing that my son does. It's interesting, one of my best friends JUST got diagnosed on the spectrum at the age of 33

What do people look for in a good autism site, etc.?

No idea. I assume something with a lot of big pictures as links.

I posted a bit of a rant on Facebook last night that basically came down to that it's nice that people are much more aware about autism, but annoyed that it took so long. I got diagnosed with aspergers in 3rd grade, but was never told about it and as far as I'm aware never treated differently than before. I never even heard of the words aspergers or autism until 9th grade during a counseling session with my parents. I feel like never getting proper treatment is what gave me depression. The anger issues I had I don't associate with it but eventually I had so much with school that one morning my mind just gave up and wouldn't do anything. Ended up being placed in a mental hospital that day where I got diagnosed with depression.

Flambe

Happy Awareness Month!

So, I'm putting together an autism website for an ex-teacher and would like all of your input.

Heady project, it depends on the scope you're aiming for.

If it's more local, you can dig up resources in the area, be it Behavioural Therapists, Speech Pathologists, support groups for both Autistic folk and their families, even activities that are tailored to those on the spectrum (some communities have therapeutic horseback riding for example, or SPCA-sponsored dog walking, that kind of thing).

It's nice to have a section for newly diagnosed families on what to expect, links and direction for federal/state resources, helpful tips like not setting unrealistic expectations, planning activity transitions out in advance, etc (though that's trickier as individuals handle variables differently).

Heck even a curated section of ASD-friendly phone/tablet apps isn't a bad idea in this day and age, though that's the kind of thing that needs updating and not sure how long-term this is. http://a4cwsn.com/ was a decent resource back in the day for help with that.

Heady project, it depends on the scope you're aiming for.

If it's more local, you can dig up resources in the area, be it Behavioural Therapists, Speech Pathologists, support groups for both Autistic folk and their families, even activities that are tailored to those on the spectrum (some communities have therapeutic horseback riding for example, or SPCA-sponsored dog walking, that kind of thing).

It's nice to have a section for newly diagnosed families on what to expect, links and direction for federal/state resources, helpful tips like not setting unrealistic expectations, planning activity transitions out in advance, etc (though that's trickier as individuals handle variables differently).

Heck even a curated section of ASD-friendly phone/tablet apps isn't a bad idea in this day and age, though that's the kind of thing that needs updating and not sure how long-term this is. http://a4cwsn.com/ was a decent resource back in the day for help with that.

Right now, I have ideas for:

Forum linked to a blog
News
Links
Parenting section
Kids section

Right now I'm researching other sites. I had to not throw up while doing the Autism Speaks site.

Since a few have brought up get adult diagnosis, I'm wondering if it's something I should do.

I'm a Fragile X carrier with 150 repeats. I've been doing some research about symptomatic carriers, and it seems to be a thing. So even though I make the FMR1 protein, I don't make as much as a normal person, but it's not entirely turned off like a full mutation. Growing up I had a severely handicap brother, so compared to him I was considered "normal". I always felt like I've been this | | close to being normal, but never normal like others.

I was kind of shuffled along in grade school because I was the quiet shy little girl that didn't make a fuss at anything. I've had some trouble in the adult world with holding down jobs. I've been fired countless times. Everyone complains about how slow I am. Tasks that take other people 30-45 mins can take me a couple hours or more. That didn't fly so well working at Qdoba. I haven't worked in nearly 6 years since I moved to California. I've put off looking for jobs seriously because of family issues and college. I've tossed an application around here and there, went to a few interviews, but never got anything.

I'm in my last month of classes, and I get my AA degree in English. I've been accepted to the University, but I feel very intimidated about going. Financial troubles compound the hesitation. But sometimes it seems like the lesser evil than seriously looking for a job.

I figure if I get a diagnosis it could help protect me if I get a job. I just don't know. I don't know what kind of can of worms I'm opening up by pursuing it. I also don't know how easy it would be getting evaluated as an adult.

Since a few have brought up get adult diagnosis, I'm wondering if it's something I should do.

I'm a Fragile X carrier with 150 repeats. I've been doing some research about symptomatic carriers, and it seems to be a thing. So even though I make the FMR1 protein, I don't make as much as a normal person, but it's not entirely turned off like a full mutation. Growing up I had a severely handicap brother, so compared to him I was considered "normal". I always felt like I've been this | | close to being normal, but never normal like others.

I was kind of shuffled along in grade school because I was the quiet shy little girl that didn't make a fuss at anything. I've had some trouble in the adult world with holding down jobs. I've been fired countless times. Everyone complains about how slow I am. Tasks that take other people 30-45 mins can take me a couple hours or more. That didn't fly so well working at Qdoba. I haven't worked in nearly 6 years since I moved to California. I've put off looking for jobs seriously because of family issues and college. I've tossed an application around here and there, went to a few interviews, but never got anything.

I'm in my last month of classes, and I get my AA degree in English. I've been accepted to the University, but I feel very intimidated about going. Financial troubles compound the hesitation. But sometimes it seems like the lesser evil than seriously looking for a job.

I figure if I get a diagnosis it could help protect me if I get a job. I just don't know. I don't know what kind of can of worms I'm opening up by pursuing it. I also don't know how easy it would be getting evaluated as an adult.

No idea how hard it would be to get diagnosed, but I would definitely do it. As businesses get more understanding of autism, they may be more accommodating for you to be comfortable in a work environment. This is more wishful thinking than anything since I've never had a job (mainly because of my fear of failure), but I think it is something that will be happening.

We took part in a Wings for Autism event today. The Delta, TSA, and LaGuardia Airport personnel we met were all very pleasant and thrilled to have us. My kid got to go through the check-in process, waiting at a gate, boarding a plane, and sitting on a jet. If we were to ever take a trip by plane, I think he's a little more prepared since its no longer a mystery. He's still a little nervous about going up in the air, but at least he's familiar with a plane.

It's worth searching to see if there's a Wings for Autism event at your airport. They seem to be happening around the country in April through different airlines, depending on the airport.

Teachers play such a huge role in our sons' lives. The kindness and help they provide makes parenting so much easier. One of my son's favorite people in the world is the teacher's aid. He absolutely loves her.

Next he will be going to regular kindergarten. I know he will lose focus a lot and it will be difficult on the teacher. Is there anything that we should ask for to help him succeed?

Also, thank you for being a teacher and being part of the team.

We requested and received a one to one para for our son. We also worked with teachers to develop behavior modification systems to help him develop focus. Our kid also had ADHD, and medication has helped as well.

petran79

Banned
The last few years I work in various schools with disabilities in Greece (temp teaacher). They include also teens/youths with autism. Some cases are heavy indeed. Things are far from ideal. Situation is also difficult because unlike elementary school, some teens develop much more strength and gain weight and height, probably also due to medication. So it is much more difficult to keep them calm and there is a chance you might get slightly injured. Also I am the only male teacher at school. 12 women and 1 man. Even more anxiety...

In many cases parents refuse to take their child to a doctor or they choose their own route. In our school one mother chose homeopathy, thus making her son a mess. One day he was calm, the other he was anxious. Though I cant blame her. Her husband divorced her and she takes care of the child exclusively.

In another case parents refuse to give their teen son medication because they fear for his health. He's quite sturdy and very sensitive to noise. But also intelligent and knowledgeable. He always wears earplugs and when he is upset he hits himself and bites his arm till it bleeds. Though sometimes he is very manipulative. He wants to pinch and if he does, he leaves marks on your arm or even blood. Had to wrestle with him quite few times.

I usually try to keep calm in such cases but this sure is soul draining, seeing this self torture.

One of the sites I that was on my Research list today ended up being a pro-Wakefield site.

Fuck, man.

This shit just makes me depressed as fuck.

deadlast

One of the sites I that was on my Research list today ended up being a pro-Wakefield site.

Fuck, man.

This shit just makes me depressed as fuck.

LOL

They should have a warning.

By the way who is participating in the SARK research project? We just got our DNA kit.

RyType

Was really amazing reading through the thread. I have been meaning to try making a post here since I’ve been diagnosed myself a few years ago, but I find it difficult trying to type up something and express myself…

Since my diagnosis, I have a care assistant (who is roughly my age) come over to my place maybe once or twice a week to help me do somewhat simple things such as cooking (I can spend hours trying to cook myself something) helping me pay the correct bills and even taking me shopping or taking me to interviews or meetings, I just genuinely can’t cope doing things by myself.
The care assistant’s I’ve had feel more like best friends. We go up into London or to the cinema even and just we just hang out. I don’t have lots of friends but it has given me a little bit more courage to meet up with someone, even if its once a week for the gym or practicing the train route into London to meet up with someone.

I do find the working environment tough. I’ve been in retail before and even worked at EA games for a bit- but I took mistakes very personally and I found it incredibly hard to ‘move up’ the corporate ladder in EA since I found it so difficult to explain myself
But lately I’ve been quite successful in drawing cartoons for magazines and my local council. I’ve been in contact with a couple of editors and writers from the beano and Viz which probably won’t mean a lot if your not living in the UK, but It does feel like I could potentially make a career out of it. I even had a television interview about some of my work, your welcome to watch it

(I hope that doesn’t come across as being too self promotional?)

http://ryanmedlock.blogspot.co.uk/p/itv-appearence.html

deadlast

Was really amazing reading through the thread. I have been meaning to try making a post here since I’ve been diagnosed myself a few years ago, but I find it difficult trying to type up something and express myself…

Since my diagnosis, I have a care assistant (who is roughly my age) come over to my place maybe once or twice a week to help me do somewhat simple things such as cooking (I can spend hours trying to cook myself something) helping me pay the correct bills and even taking me shopping or taking me to interviews or meetings, I just genuinely can’t cope doing things by myself.
The care assistant’s I’ve had feel more like best friends. We go up into London or to the cinema even and just we just hang out. I don’t have lots of friends but it has given me a little bit more courage to meet up with someone, even if its once a week for the gym or practicing the train route into London to meet up with someone.

I do find the working environment tough. I’ve been in retail before and even worked at EA games for a bit- but I took mistakes very personally and I found it incredibly hard to ‘move up’ the corporate ladder in EA since I found it so difficult to explain myself
But lately I’ve been quite successful in drawing cartoons for magazines and my local council. I’ve been in contact with a couple of editors and writers from the beano and Viz which probably won’t mean a lot if your not living in the UK, but It does feel like I could potentially make a career out of it. I even had a television interview about some of my work, your welcome to watch it

(I hope that doesn’t come across as being too self promotional?)

http://ryanmedlock.blogspot.co.uk/p/itv-appearence.html
Dude, this is awesome. That's kind of cool to have care assistants who help you and can be friends. I hope one day my sons have that option. Most people here who are care assistants are all very old.

Nice art work. I hope you can make that a living.

What's worse is when I come across an Autie or Aspie that believes this bullshit.
You should have a section titled "Bleach doesn't cure Autism" and add all of those links.

My kid's pediatrician was curious about my son not talking or walking by age 2 and did not play appropriately with toys (He liked to just line up cars and trains but wouldn't' do any pretend play). Not completely uncommon, but not typical. He also was a very fussy eater and had stomach/gas/colic issues which led to lots of crying tantrums, sudden meltdowns and seemingly general discomfort at times.

So, we made ENT, gastro and neuro appointments.

1. ENT checked out fine.

2. Gastro - definately gas issues. We had to juggle different formulas and such. Finally found the really expensive stuff worked. Eventually he switched to lactose free milk and was much better. He slept better, was more regular with bowel movements and the like.

3. Neuro - they gave him an ADOS test and he was diagnosed with PDD-NoS, which is a spectrum disorder. (Or it was at the time. Not sure now with all the changes in requirements and the like.)

Anyway, we were able to get him into an Early Intervention program for a good year. Developmental & Behavioral Therapists. At-home and paid for by the state, thank goodness.

Then, we got him into ABA therapy at the Neuro. Once a week for 2 hours. Covered by insurance, thank goodness. (co-pays, but still way cheaper than without).

That was all 3 and 4 years ago.

Today he's 6, talking running around, watching Netflix, playing iPad games and goes to a mainstream Kindergarten. He's learning words, can write words and do simple math. The Neuro said if they tested him right now, he would be Declassified and would be considered a typical child.

We're very happy and very lucky. Whatever it was he was going through, we addressed it very early and he's made unbelievable progress. So much so, that you'd never know how incredibly difficult it was during his first 4 years.

He's still incredibly shy and has issues making eye contact with other people. He's very uncomfortable sitting and eating at a table with other people too, so we just chill out on the couch or he'll go do stuff while the family is eating at the table for whatever occasions. His biggest issue now is just social stuff - he doesn't like team or group stuff, but he will play with other kids in an open-ended "free play" sort of session. He also doesn't like loud sounds, but then, neither do I.

But, hell - I'll take it!

I think early screenings and, if need be, Early Intervention programs before and during Pre-school is SOOOOO HUGE for helping these kids out while their bodies and minds are still developing and accessible to changes and shaping.

deadlast

Faced with a conundrum.
My son turn 6 in a few weeks. He is completing CCK, which is basically special Ed K. But he spends most of his day in regular K. In DEC/Jan the school recommended repeating K, a few weeks ago they recommended regular 1st grade. But a week ago one of his teachers(CCK) said the principal wants him to repeat K. His regular K teacher thinks he can handle 1st based on his performance, but would do well repeating K.

I don't know what to do. Should he repeat, or push forward and maybe repeat 1st if needed?

jstripes

Banned
Faced with a conundrum.
My son turn 6 in a few weeks. He is completing CCK, which is basically special Ed K. But he spends most of his day in regular K. In DEC/Jan the school recommended repeating K, a few weeks ago they recommended regular 1st grade. But a week ago one of his teachers(CCK) said the principal wants him to repeat K. His regular K teacher thinks he can handle 1st based on his performance, but would do well repeating K.

I don't know what to do. Should he repeat, or push forward and maybe repeat 1st if needed?

Does he have friends in his class that he'd miss if held back? Not that it's the most important thing, it's just something to consider.

jstripes

Banned
So, my 20 year old step-son got himself beat up last night.

I keep telling him:
a) Don't hang around downtown by yourself at night. (He still does.)
b) Don't get involved with strangers. (He still does.)
c) Everything else that goes along with that. (He still does.)

But, he ignores all that, and he got himself into a complicated and dangerous situation. Because he doesn't LISTEN. AT ALL. EVER. And now my wife's super pissed-off at me, because she always takes her shit out on me when there's problems with him, and my life is super-fucking-goddamn-miserable.

(Sorry. Drunk post. Can't help it.)

How have you approached telling other family members that you're on the spectrum? It's not that I'm ashamed of having Asperger's or anything, just haven't figured out how to bring it up in conversation with my grandparents and such. And we only see them once or twice a year.

Edit: meant as a general question for those in the thread

How have you approached telling other family members that you're on the spectrum? It's not that I'm ashamed of having Asperger's or anything, just haven't figured out how to bring it up in conversation with my grandparents and such. And we only see them once or twice a year.

No they know, but they don't really understand and we fight a lot.

deadlast

Damn jstripes that sucks dude. My wife always lays into me when she thinks I am not being understanding. It sucks and I always reflect and try to be more understanding.
Also, sorry your step son got beat up. Is he going to be ok?

RoyaleDuke, how old are you?

Good news on my end, my son starts fullblown mainstream kindergarten next week. We have met the teachers and they seem like they are ready help in any way possible.

ryseing

I don't go out of my way to mention it. If it comes up I discuss it ex. I'm having trouble making friends or whatever.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Just pop out of nowhere and yell BAZINGA!

Son Of D

This is something I'm struggling with as well. Was diagnosed earlier in the year and have told some close friends, but I have no idea how to bring it up with my family. I don't just want to say it randomly or make it seem like a massive deal to them but at the same time I feel somewhat bad that I'm withholding it from them.

So, my 20 year old step-son got himself beat up last night.

I keep telling him:
a) Don't hang around downtown by yourself at night. (He still does.)
b) Don't get involved with strangers. (He still does.)
c) Everything else that goes along with that. (He still does.)

But, he ignores all that, and he got himself into a complicated and dangerous situation. Because he doesn't LISTEN. AT ALL. EVER. And now my wife's super pissed-off at me, because she always takes her shit out on me when there's problems with him, and my life is super-fucking-goddamn-miserable.

(Sorry. Drunk post. Can't help it.)

That's awful. Sorry to hear that.

For the sake of his safety, it may be time to put your foot down in regards to restrictions/supervision.

I'm not sure how much of my family knew before I shared a written piece from college (which detailed my Asperger's) for my graduation party. At the very least, one of my cousins didn't know when I told him earlier before.

This is something I'm struggling with as well. Was diagnosed earlier in the year and have told some close friends, but I have no idea how to bring it up with my family. I don't just want to say it randomly or make it seem like a massive deal to them but at the same time I feel somewhat bad that I'm withholding it from them.
Yeah, in a similar position. Right now, it's my parents and brother who knows. One grandma asked my mom if I had aspergers once, and that was...fun
/s
. Definitely not awkward when your grandma starts going on about how she wants to understand how I think, and wants to know how I see and smell and hear things differently (which some odd racial tangents thrown in)

Haven't brought up with my other grandparents or rest of the family. My mom has said they've asked now and then about my lack of friends or whatnot, but we haven't shared about the diagnosis yet

My son was really fascinated at a young age by Thomas the Train. I did some internet research and found a paper written by a doctor in England that showed that autistic children were drawn to Thomas because of the over exaggerated facial expressions and it can really help to teach them how to properly show emotions.

http://www.myfavoritetoys.com/autism_thomas.html

He is 9 now and while he is a year behind in school for his age he is basically a typical 9 year old who has his good days and bad days. He likes structure in his daily routines, very artistic and is fascinated by Lego's and Transformers. He figures them out quicker than I did when I was that young.
Wow my son is also on the spectrum and he totally gravitated towards Thomas the tank engine. He's almost 5 and he's still into it (though not as much as he was before), he's also very into legos. Sharks are his go to now days.

My oldest son also was diagnosed in the spectrum. It can be challenging at times but you just learn to be patient and get the proper help and he will turn out great. Getting the diagnosis is a long process but once they verify it that will point you in the right direction. I feel we were blessed with the benefit of being in Houston and having direct access to Texas Children's Hospital. His pediatrician and TCH put us with some great therapists who worked with him for about 5 years a couple times a week.

My son was really fascinated at a young age by Thomas the Train. I did some internet research and found a paper written by a doctor in England that showed that autistic children were drawn to Thomas because of the over exaggerated facial expressions and it can really help to teach them how to properly show emotions.

http://www.myfavoritetoys.com/autism_thomas.html

He is 9 now and while he is a year behind in school for his age he is basically a typical 9 year old who has his good days and bad days. He likes structure in his daily routines, very artistic and is fascinated by Lego's and Transformers. He figures them out quicker than I did when I was that young.
Curious, are kids on the spectrum more drawn to Legos and Transformers than others? I remember being fascinated with those as a kid. I wonder if the latter can revolve around how the toys are designed around specific repeatable steps to transform. A toy with structure built in. Same with Legos; they're creative but also fit together in specific ways.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Wow my son is also on the spectrum and he totally gravitated towards Thomas the tank engine. He's almost 5 and he's still into it (though not as much as he was before), he's also very into legos. Sharks are his go to now days.

Just don't get him involved with Sonic the Hedgehog. I kid, I kid!

I have Asperger's and I loved Legos and any kind of building playsets I could get my hands on as a kid. I also liked taking things apart and putting them back together again. I think it has something to do with the very simplistic plans that are straight forward and every item and piece has its place. Its comforting in a sense as there is no variation or chaos, just putting one block on top of the other at a specific spot and doing that thousands of times.

Edit: I'll admit I was never into Thomas the Tank Engine though but I realize a lot of kids with Aspergers are. I think someone said it has to do with the slower pace of the show, the big easily readable face help as well.

Just don't get him involved with Sonic the Hedgehog. I kid, I kid!

LMAO.
His lego love is my fault, I myself love legos and find it relieves my stress by putting stuff together, it's just soothing, therapeutic i guess.
Nothing makes me more happy then for us to play Hulk vs Hulkbuster, he loves being Hulkbuster and crushing me as Hulk.

So, we've decided on a simple forum.

Ideas for categories and Subcategoies:

- Moderators Only (hidden from main)
- Introductions
* Friends, Old and New (for intros)
* Projects you are working on (name tbd)
- Life with Autism
- Science of Autism

So, we're taking our little one (3.75 years old) down to Little Rock on Monday to be tested for the diagnoses. If he is diagnosed he will be put on a waiver waiting list that will pay for his therapy through age 7. That would benefit our son quite a bit, not only take some of the monetary burden off of us as well. Insurance money just does not go to what you expect anymore.

So far he has spent a time at the University of Arkansas in a clinic that studies the benefits of using software with an iPad to help children with autism learn to communicate (or mand).

The great thing about the clinic is that our son also gets a ton of therapy that has helped him grow with us, family, and people in general. The two counties this region mostly fills has a funded service that provides 90 minutes a week for occupational and speech therapy.

With all of the therapy over the last year our little guy has gone from avoiding all people, to looking most people in the eye if they greet him, and being more tolerant of others being around.

So, this is a big weekend for our little guy, because Monday we're going through the testing and it is making us (Mom and Dad) nervous.

Any no big point to my rambling post, just wanted to share what we feel to be some nice stepping stones being passed by.

So, we're taking our little one (3.75 years old) down to Little Rock on Monday to be tested for the diagnoses. If he is diagnosed he will be put on a waiver waiting list that will pay for his therapy through age 7. That would benefit our son quite a bit, not only take some of the monetary burden off of us as well. Insurance money just does not go to what you expect anymore.

So far he has spent a time at the University of Arkansas in a clinic that studies the benefits of using software with an iPad to help children with autism learn to communicate (or mand).

The great thing about the clinic is that our son also gets a ton of therapy that has helped him grow with us, family, and people in general. The two counties this region mostly fills has a funded service that provides 90 minutes a week for occupational and speech therapy.

With all of the therapy over the last year our little guy has gone from avoiding all people, to looking most people in the eye if they greet him, and being more tolerant of others being around.

So, this is a big weekend for our little guy, because Monday we're going through the testing and it is making us (Mom and Dad) nervous.

Any no big point to my rambling post, just wanted to share what we feel to be some nice stepping stones being passed by.

I'm glad for you guys.

EDIT: Mock forums up. Very alpha. Need advice. Much wow.

http://autismtest.boards.net/

(Also, are the ads really bad? I can't see them as an Admin. The Ad Free Block upgrade is $6/month and only for up to 50k pageviews)

Downhome

Have any of you guys ever watched the new film "Life, Animated"? My wife and I were flipping through the channels a few weeks ago and stumbled upon it real late at night and we ended up sitting there watching the entire thing. It's about how Disney characters helped this one guy open up, become verbal, and was about his life and follows him along for a while.

Working with those with Autism on a daily basis, being around this kind of thing often, it really spoke to me. One of the best documentaries I've seen in quite a while, and surely one of the best on the topic.

The animation bits in it are beautiful as well. I really wish Disney would make a feature length film based on the guy's ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n7fosK9UyY

http://www.lifeanimateddoc.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life,_Animated

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Have any of you guys ever watched the new film "Life, Animated"? My wife and I were flipping through the channels a few weeks ago and stumbled upon it real late at night and we ended up sitting there watching the entire thing. It's about how Disney characters helped this one guy open up, become verbal, and was about his life and follows him along for a while.

Working with those with Autism on a daily basis, being around this kind of thing often, it really spoke to me. One of the best documentaries I've seen in quite a while, and surely one of the best on the topic.

The animation bits in it are beautiful as well. I really wish Disney would make a feature length film based on the guy's ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n7fosK9UyY

http://www.lifeanimateddoc.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life,_Animated
I saw the 20/20 story on the movie and it was really powerful.

Working at Disney, I encountered a large number of regulars that were autistic. The bold, colorful, and everything on a schedule makes it the perfect place. Plus it's engrained to cast members to treat all equally. Always look at children in the eyes as you would an adult. Always address any questions asked no matter who it is. It makes anyone feel normal. Plus you're allowed to believe in magic, so your answer could include the impossible and that helps make autistic kids feel normal.

I remember one encounter with a teenage boy. His father was having a hard time getting him to go back to the hotel for a break. So I told the kid that it always rains at 4pm and it's no fun getting all wet and walking in wet shoes and socks. Plus he'd still have to go back to the hotel to put on dry clothes. I held out four fast passes to any ride (the ones they pass out if a ride breaks down so you can ride something else) and told him he could have them if he came back after the rain passed and did what his dad asked him to. Two days later the dad found me again and I got a huge thanks for helping him. I solved a problem without making either one feel like there was a problem to begin with.

It amazes me how many Disney can reach through the parks, movies, and music. It's a safe fantasy world that can be shared between the autistic and non autistic.

deadlast

Since we're talking about autism, in the autism thread. I would like to share a story of an incident that occurred on my son's bus yesterday.

So my son is 6 yrs old, in kindergarten and rides the bus with his brother home everyday. The bus ride is like 40 minutes or so. Yesterday my son gets off the bus crying hysterically. I found out he was wiping chap-stick on his finger, then on the back of a seat. The Bus driver took the chap-stick from him. The was still chap-stick residue on the back of the seat in front of my son. He wiped (gathered) some off with his finger and was looking at it. Then some 4th grader, that was sitting behind him, got up and punched my son in the dick. WTF!!!!

We emailed and called the school. My wife is like "I want to know the other kid's reasons." I went all caveman, and just want to muay thia kick that kid in his 4th grader junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom