• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Hesemonni

Banned
1hIKJMw.png

Oh, if I had the money...

MB S Cabrio.

matmanx1

anyone know if coolant is included in the bmws ultimate maintenance plan thing?

Top offs are free. If you call them they will most likely tell you that you can use distilled water and top it off yourself if need be. The coolant is mixed in a 50/50 ratio with water anyway.

You can also buy the coolant off of Amazon for about $27.

Top offs are free. If you call them they will most likely tell you that you can use distilled water and top it off yourself if need be. The coolant is mixed in a 50/50 ratio with water anyway.

You can also buy the coolant off of Amazon for about $27.

thanks. yeh i bought some at the dealer for $27.

i'm gonna monitor it more frequently and just go in for top offs going forward.

nitewulf

My best friend in NYC literally sold a convertible identical to this one to a guy in Miami. And in NY traffic he averaged 11MPG with the car. Keep that in mind.

Also, beware of maintenance costs on these cars. Just before my friend sold his 2011 the idle started jumping up and down when the car was warm or sitting in traffic too much (this is a VERY known problem with the S65 motor and can be thousands to fix). Also the transmission one day wouldn't engage (trans heat may have been an issue again). The DCT in this car can't be 'fixed' at a dealer, and costs over $10K.

Also, because you have two traditional clutches in this transmission, you WILL have to replace them and they ARE expensive as fuck. Each clutch job will cost about $5K from start to finish including labor.

I would also avoid this 2009 you're looking at because it's an earlier production model and earlier E92 M3s were more problem riddled than LCI models. $39K is also overkill, despite the mileage. My friend sold his 2011 for $34K.
That's actually very good advice! A V8 in the city is definitely not practical. I just miss the Inline 6 of my 3 series so much, just want something fun without breaking the bank. All the 90's Japanese staples are beat up to sh*t. What are your thoughts on the 2008+ AMG SL55? That's gonna be a gas guzzler too but the prices seem pretty reasonable.

May be I should just go for an older Porsche like the 944 or 928.

Evo X

Still prefer the coupe, but that S63 screams money. Great car for cruising in style with some friends. Gonna try to convince my parents to pick one up.

My first car. The first car I ever bought

Congrats on the new ride. Please tell me it's stick?

That's actually very good advice! A V8 in the city is definitely not practical. I just miss the Inline 6 of my 3 series so much, just want something fun without breaking the bank. All the 90's Japanese staples are beat up to sh*t. What are your thoughts on the 2008+ AMG SL55? That's gonna be a gas guzzler too but the prices seem pretty reasonable.

May be I should just go for an older Porsche like the 944 or 928.

Skip the SL55AMG. There is a reason they're cheap. Huge $$$ if anything goes wrong, and it's a high probability on an 8 year old Benz.

I'm probably the biggest Porsche fanboy on this forum, but I'd take an E92 M3 coupe over a 944 or 928 as a street car.

Now if you have an M3/SL55 budget, there are some newer Porsche's Id recommend.

Evo X

please do, ideally i wanna stay around 35K.

Since you were considering convertibles, see if you can find a 2009+ 987.2 Boxster S. It's almost 1,200 lbs lighter than an E93 M3. Mid-engined balance, nice interior, and 3.4 liter motor from the 911. The facelifted models also got rid of all the mechanical issues that the first gen cars had, updated the looks/interior, and added DFI to the engine.

It will be faster and handle FAR better than the M3. Only consider the Bimmer if you need 4 seats.

I used to own a 2011 Boxster S myself before I bought my 2015 Cayman GTS. It was a lovely car and I really miss the ability to drop the top sometimes.

Where do you live?

There is a nice 2011 6 speed manual with only 28K miles on it near Chicago for $38K asking. Original sticker was $75K. As a bonus, it also has the carbon fiber bucket seats from the Spyder.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/628398258/overview/#0

Zapages

My 1999 Nissan Maxima that has about 212K miles on it has been giving us trouble (especially the transmission) with the check engine light and really slowing down going up hill. My Father already spent about 1K on the car with some things that were wrong with the car ie. oil leak from the engine, spark plugs, and few other things. The mechanic wants another 1K to fix shocks in the rear, new tires, and fix the transmission.

I was thinking of buying a used a 2013 Nissan Altima S with about 59K miles for 10,500? Should I say we will pay in cash for 9K? Would that work?

Another option is to lease a 2015 Honda Accord LX version for 100 dollars a month. A reputable Honda Dealer has a deal for 2,500 dollars + taxes/fees and 100 dollars month for 36 months.

What do you guys recommend? Should I stick out with my Maxima for a year and spend 1K to get the car fixed and hope that the car does not die on me(from looks of it, it might when going up hill)...

The 2013 Nissan Altima is a 4 cylinder whereas my Nissan Maxima is a V6. Does the 2013 Nissan Altima in real life have the great gas mileage that has been reported. Currently, my car does about 19 to 20 miles per gallon using premium gas. :( I drive about 250 miles a week.

The 13 will get much better gas mileage. Hard to judge your current car's condition without seeing it. Could be it'll run for another 100,000 miles, could be it has a week left before it turns into a ball of fire and consumes everything you love in this world.

You know, it's a coin toss.

Zapages

I have doubts that the Maxima will be able to run another 100K, maybe 50Kish if it passes DMV inspection in December. When I turn on the car, overdrive light blinks about 3 to 10 times, which is really weird. :( The car shakes/ pushes forward when it shifts from 1st gear (around 10 to 15 mph) and 2nd or 3rd gear (around 35 to 40 mph). Its hard to explain. Its fine for local driving around sub 50 mph. Also if I am going up hill, the car slows down due to age (my guess) and during this time the check engine light comes a goes. All this is very weird.

Aside from this, are leases worth it if its 100 dollars a month for 36 months for a Honda Accord... It will be about 6600 dollars. The lease has a requirement of 10K miles per year. I might be cutting it close...

Yeah don't bother fixing that Maxima unless you're going to do it all on your own with used parts--just not worth it.

Leases are never worth it if you're looking at it in terms of pure economy (especially not a 10k/year lease). Better to buy used or buy new if you can afford it and you need the peace of mind of a warranty.

My first car. The first car I ever bought

went to the dealership yesterday

should have more pics tomorrow when I pick it up

excited as hell been driving my old Chrysler Concorde for 12 or 13 years as a hand me down car.

11849157_470415633138647_1073411252_n.jpg

11820488_428425734024746_1337123166_n.jpg

I tried out the iM yesterday. It's not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. I was driving in eco until I relaized there was sport mode. Could be a little faster/peppier but its alright

I was actually the first person to drive it lol

XUQDp87.gif

Wear the tires out as quickly as possible, then put on some 225's (at least) Enjoy the best driving experience you have ever had. Open the driver side door as you sit in the car, marvel that you can touch the asphalt with your left hand while seated.

Never before have I looked forward to driving as much as I do with this car. I had a 2013, I bought a 2015. I may get a 2018.

Zapages

Yeah don't bother fixing that Maxima unless you're going to do it all on your own with used parts--just not worth it.

Leases are never worth it if you're looking at it in terms of pure economy (especially not a 10k/year lease). Better to buy used or buy new if you can afford it and you need the peace of mind of a warranty.

Thank you. :) Should I try to go with 9K cash for the 2013 Nissan Altima with 59K miles on it if the small road side dealer is asking for 10.5K? The car has a clean car fax record with only 1 person who has owned the car. If I were to do negotiations with dealer.

mkenyon

Banned
You guys are making me want to go for one of the Twins and mod it instead of buying a 911. Man that's gonna be a tough decision.

Never before have I looked forward to driving as much as I do with this car. I had a 2013, I bought a 2015. I may get a 2018.

This. I constantly look for excuses to get out of the house and just run around in it. Bought it over the WRX as a purely emotional choice and haven't regretted it one bit. The kids love riding in it too; older daughter is already plotting my demise so she can inherit it.

And when you're ready to dial it back a bit, the mileage is pretty fantastic.

You guys are making me want to go for one of the Twins and mod it instead of buying a 911. Man that's gonna be a tough decision.

giphy.gif

Thank you. :) Should I try to go with 9K cash for the 2013 Nissan Altima with 59K miles on it if the small road side dealer is asking for 10.5K? The car has a clean car fax record with only 1 person who has owned the car. If I were to do negotiations with dealer.

Can't help you there, just do your homework on your finances and figure out if it works for you.

C'mon now. :p

Well I said that I'd wait till I get back from Japan but...

...I placed a deposit with a local importer in my city. I'm officially car shopping again!

Here comes the days, weeks, months looking at auction pictures. Bidding and losing said auctions. Only to end up with the "one"

Wish me luck Auto GAF!

nitewulf

wtf

Since you were considering convertibles, see if you can find a 2009+ 987.2 Boxster S. It's almost 1,200 lbs lighter than an E93 M3. Mid-engined balance, nice interior, and 3.4 liter motor from the 911. The facelifted models also got rid of all the mechanical issues that the first gen cars had, updated the looks/interior, and added DFI to the engine.

It will be faster and handle FAR better than the M3. Only consider the Bimmer if you need 4 seats.

I used to own a 2011 Boxster S myself before I bought my 2015 Cayman GTS. It was a lovely car and I really miss the ability to drop the top sometimes.

i think i'm actually a lot more interested in the base Cayman 2013+, I just dont dig soft top convertibles. but a 2013 automatic Cayman around 35K would do the trick. I'm in NYC.

mkenyon

Banned
I love you AutoGAF.

We'll see. I think my budget might end up being larger than I'm expecting, as I'll be selling my house this summer and not buying another (for awhile at least).

I was comparing a 997 4S to a modded BRZ, not a brand new 911.

If you have the money, the 911 is like a better version of the twins.

I said it, even as a twin owner. I did not have the money for a 911.
Or at least one with reasonable maintenance costs.

With that being said, holy cow do we have a lot of Toyobaru owners here.

mkenyon

Banned
If you have the money, the 911 is like a better version of the twins.

I said it, even as a twin owner. I did not have the money for a 911.
Or at least one with reasonable maintenance costs.

With that being said, holy cow do we have a lot of Toyobaru owners here.
Yeah, I just like to tinker, and I'm a Subie fanboy. I definitely understand the 911 is the objectively better choice. Cars are like 50% reason and 50% emotion though.

Zyzyxxz

I just did a cross country road trip in a Lancer Evo X from Dallas to Los Angeles in two days.

My friend did the driving since it was his car and I was just there to keep him company.

I have to say the riding experience in an EVO is nice when you are constantly having to speed up to overtake annoying drivers but damn at the gearing. 80 mph @ 4K RPM in 5th gear? I hear the MR is no better with its 6th gear. We were only averaging 18-22mpg on the highway. I knew the gearing probably leans towards enthusiast driving. At least gas was only $2.20sih for premium in Texas while we were there!

I just did a cross country road trip in a Lancer Evo X from Dallas to Los Angeles in two days.

My friend did the driving since it was his car and I was just there to keep him company.

I have to say the riding experience in an EVO is nice when you are constantly having to speed up to overtake annoying drivers but damn at the gearing. 80 mph @ 4K RPM in 5th gear? I hear the MR is no better with its 6th gear. We were only averaging 18-22mpg on the highway. I knew the gearing probably leans towards enthusiast driving. At least gas was only $2.20sih for premium in Texas while we were there!

Whaaat? 4k rpm for 80mph? I thought my gearing was bad at 3600rpm@80. That's just nuts, dude.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

The gearing is nuts. But he should be getting better mileage then that. My 13 does anyways. No tune (yet) but with the recall ecu reflash I get 24-26 mpg hwy.

ameratsu

Well I said that I'd wait till I get back from Japan but...

...I placed a deposit with a local importer in my city. I'm officially car shopping again!

Here comes the days, weeks, months looking at auction pictures. Bidding and losing said auctions. Only to end up with the "one"

Wish me luck Auto GAF!

Good luck!!

JPY to CDN exchange has gotten so bad in the last few months. I bid on a white hardtop 98 mr2 gt-s back in April but my bid was way off the final sale price. Bid 800k CIF, went for 865k car cost alone. I basically stopped wasting my exporter's time after that because the cars I wanted were more than I was willing to pay.

After a R34 GTR?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
My 1999 Nissan Maxima that has about 212K miles on it has been giving us trouble (especially the transmission) with the check engine light and really slowing down going up hill. My Father already spent about 1K on the car with some things that were wrong with the car ie. oil leak from the engine, spark plugs, and few other things. The mechanic wants another 1K to fix shocks in the rear, new tires, and fix the transmission.

I was thinking of buying a used a 2013 Nissan Altima S with about 59K miles for 10,500? Should I say we will pay in cash for 9K? Would that work?

Another option is to lease a 2015 Honda Accord LX version for 100 dollars a month. A reputable Honda Dealer has a deal for 2,500 dollars + taxes/fees and 100 dollars month for 36 months.

What do you guys recommend? Should I stick out with my Maxima for a year and spend 1K to get the car fixed and hope that the car does not die on me(from looks of it, it might when going up hill)...

The 2013 Nissan Altima is a 4 cylinder whereas my Nissan Maxima is a V6. Does the 2013 Nissan Altima in real life have the great gas mileage that has been reported. Currently, my car does about 19 to 20 miles per gallon using premium gas. :( I drive about 250 miles a week.

That lease sounds super fishy. What is the total out of pocket to achieve that $100 payment? I have feeling there's more to it than just the $2500, taxes and fees. Like, I suspect the 'fees' are going to be some ridiculous number. A no money down deal on a base Accord will run you $199-220 a month. That's literally sign and drive, and all you have to do is pay the mandatory DMV registration and that's it.

I have doubts that the Maxima will be able to run another 100K, maybe 50Kish if it passes DMV inspection in December. When I turn on the car, overdrive light blinks about 3 to 10 times, which is really weird. :( The car shakes/ pushes forward when it shifts from 1st gear (around 10 to 15 mph) and 2nd or 3rd gear (around 35 to 40 mph). Its hard to explain. Its fine for local driving around sub 50 mph. Also if I am going up hill, the car slows down due to age (my guess) and during this time the check engine light comes a goes. All this is very weird.

Aside from this, are leases worth it if its 100 dollars a month for 36 months for a Honda Accord... It will be about 6600 dollars. The lease has a requirement of 10K miles per year. I might be cutting it close...

Opt for 12K a year then. It'll add about $11 to the payment. I like leasing and yes it's worth it. Buying a used car can often end up buying someone's former headache. Not every body is very good at picking out a good used car and spotting if it's been damaged (even if the CarFax says it's clean) or poorly maintained. And yes, a 2013 Altima 2.5 has great fuel efficiency. Up to 40MPG highway, actually.

Evo X

cAmdGdw.gif

The 911, especially a C4S, is in a completely different league.

i think i'm actually a lot more interested in the base Cayman 2013+, I just dont dig soft top convertibles. but a 2013 automatic Cayman around 35K would do the trick. I'm in NYC.

There is no 2013 Cayman. The new body style came out in 2014 and even a used base model is going to be quite a bit more than $35K.

Yeah, the Evo X has super short gearing and was annoying to drive on the highway. I averaged about 20mpg in mine combined on good days.

Whaaat? 4k rpm for 80mph? I thought my gearing was bad at 3600rpm@80. That's just nuts, dude.

It's a tiny 2L 4 cylinder motor pulling a decently heavy AWD sports sedan. Higher RPMs needed to keep the turbo spooled. Also doesn't help that the GSR is a 5 speed.

Yeah, I just like to tinker, and I'm a Subie fanboy. I definitely understand the 911 is the objectively better choice. Cars are like 50% reason and 50% emotion though.
Speaking of emotion, last night I ordered stainless steel headers and a muffler for the 911 (no I'm not still using the bypass are you crazy?). It all cost exactly $I'm-lucky-I'm-not-married-or-this-shit-would-never-fly.

Also: GT3 style, double pipe center exhaust. I'm so excited.

Zapages

That lease sounds super fishy. What is the total out of pocket to achieve that $100 payment? I have feeling there's more to it than just the $2500, taxes and fees. Like, I suspect the 'fees' are going to be some ridiculous number. A no money down deal on a base Accord will run you $199-220 a month. That's literally sign and drive, and all you have to do is pay the mandatory DMV registration and that's it.

Opt for 12K a year then. It'll add about $11 to the payment. I like leasing and yes it's worth it. Buying a used car can often end up buying someone's former headache. Not every body is very good at picking out a good used car and spotting if it's been damaged (even if the CarFax says it's clean) or poorly maintained. And yes, a 2013 Altima 2.5 has great fuel efficiency. Up to 40MPG highway, actually.

Sorry, it was 3000 dollars down payment. Also I saw an ad for it on the tv and that got me to check their website out for the deal. Also their website: http://www.joycehonda.com/

Thank you for all the great advice.

Here's the ad for the Honda:

Smokey

My little bro wants/needs a car (freshman in college). He plans to have 3k saved for a DP by December. He's looking in the compact/eco range. Talking to him yesterday he mentioned a Corolla or Dart. I guess one of his friends got a Dart and he likes it. It will be his first car so it doesnt need to be fancy or anything.

Suggestions?

You will essentially be paying $2200 a year to rent a car that won't let you take any unexpected trips. (Your weekly driving range is already above the mileage limits).

And your annual gas bill will drop about $750 (going on today's prices).

Insurance for a new leased car may be higher than what you are currently paying, though you have to check on that.

My little bro wants/needs a car (freshman in college). He plans to have 3k saved for a DP by December. He's looking in the compact/eco range. Talking to him yesterday he mentioned a Corolla or Dart. I guess one of his friends got a Dart and he likes it. It will be his first car so it doesnt need to be fancy or anything.

Suggestions?

Please tell him no Dart. Corolla is still a relatively safe bet. How about a Honda Civic? Still the most reliable (though possibly boring) car out there.

matmanx1

Speaking of emotion, last night I ordered stainless steel headers and a muffler for the 911 (no I'm not still using the bypass are you crazy?). It all cost exactly $I'm-lucky-I'm-not-married-or-this-shit-would-never-fly.

Also: GT3 style, double pipe center exhaust. I'm so excited.

Haha, but the bypass sounded so good! That being said the new setup should also sound very good and not annoy the neighbors nearly as much, right?

Suggestions?

Dart's are fairly bad. They look and drive better than the Corolla but will also likely cost more to own and maintain and will certainly not last as long. Corollas, Mazda 2/3, Civic, Focus, Nissa Versa, Toyota Yaris or even a used base Mitsubishi Lancer or Mirage would all be better choices.

AlphaSnake

Sorry, it was 3000 dollars down payment. Also I saw an ad for it on the tv and that got me to check their website out for the deal. Also their website: http://www.joycehonda.com/

Thank you for all the great advice.

Here's the ad for the Honda:

$3000 + ~$1000 in taxes on the lease + fees. You'll be putting down around $5000 when it's all said and done. You're better off going in there and negotiating a below invoice lease with nothing down. And keep the cash as a cushion in your bank account.

Also, check out the fine print. It's specifically for a only one car: stock #4780, which in likelihood has been sold. When you see an advert that specifies only one car, it's a bait and switch tactic. They lure you in with a price and then explain to you that car was sold and it was only for that car, but why don't you stick around since we have other Accords on the lot.

Suggestions?

Determine if it's a want or a need. If it's a want, he should skip it and save his money. He has the rest of his life to go into debt.

If it's a need, the posters above have it covered. Avoid anything small by FCA (Dart, Fiats). I'd actually recommend the Scion iA; it's ~16k and is basically a Mazda 2 (which is a great car in its own right).

cAmdGdw.gif

The 911, especially a C4S, is in a completely different league.

Nobody in their right mind is actually cross-shopping these two. If you have the money for a 911, you're cross-shopping BMW M cars and the like, not a cheap Subaru :)

That said - what do most people graduate to after they outgrow/get tired of their 86? I see a lot of people on FT86 going to WRXes.

Haha, but the bypass sounded so good! That being said the new setup should also sound very good and not annoy the neighbors nearly as much, right?

Yeah, I couldn't take the car out in good conscience before noon, because while in its 30-60 second warmup the sound was unbearable even across the street.

And just in general it meant the car was no longer usable for going places. I went to a street festival and while leaving I had to merge in to some heavy traffic, which meant throttle, which meant I got a text from a friend immediately after that I had drowned out the band across the parking lot that was already too loud.

So yeah, awesome, but I just couldn't drive it without feeling like a dickhead. Imagine a straight-piped harley times two and you're about there.

The new muffler should still be decently loud, but not so much I can't drive it places.

AlphaSnake

Determine if it's a want or a need. If it's a want, he should skip it and save his money. He has the rest of his life to go into debt.

If it's a need, the posters above have it covered. Avoid anything small by FCA (Dart, Fiats). I'd actually recommend the Scion iA; it's ~16k and is basically a Mazda 2 (which is a great car in its own right).

Nobody in their right mind is actually cross-shopping these two. If you have the money for a 911, you're cross-shopping BMW M cars and the like, not a cheap Subaru :)

That said - what do most people graduate to after they outgrow/get tired of their 86? I see a lot of people on FT86 going to WRXes.

Zs, BMW 2-series, and WRX from what I've seen.

mkenyon

Banned
Just don't do it. I owned and modded a GT86 and I'm glad l sold it.

What about modifying a cayman?
Nah, I need a back seat for my dog. I take her literally everywhere.

Used 911, not new :p

997 prolly.

AlphaSnake

Used 911, not new :p

997 prolly.

It doesn't make a lick of difference. You're not finding a good 997 for anywhere near the cost of a BRZ. The two cars are in entirely different leagues. The BRZ is Little League. The 997, even a base one, would be the majors.

mkenyon

Banned
It doesn't make a lick of difference. You're not finding a good 997 for anywhere near the cost of a BRZ. The two cars are in entirely different leagues. The BRZ is Little League. The 997, even a base one, would be the majors.
Modded? Dump $10k in to a BRZ, and then it's right there with 997s on price. Wheels/Tires/Supercharger/Bolt Ons/Flex Fuel Kit/Tune, and you're there.

Top Bottom