• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

mkenyon

Banned
jfc people, I'm not talking about what is comparable in terms of an engineered product or driving experience, just price.

I'm not an idiot :p

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Modded? Dump $10k in to a BRZ, and then it's right there with 997s on price. Wheels/Tires/Supercharger/Bolt Ons/Flex Fuel Kit/Tune, and you're there.

And at the end of the day it's still a BRZ, though.

At least if you mod a Porsche you're modding a car that isn't plummeting in value every hour and not falling into the hands of ricers the cheaper they get.

At least if you mod a Porsche you're modding a car that isn't plummeting in value every hour and not falling into the hands of ricers the cheaper they get.

86s falling into the 'hands of ricers'? Let them. The fewer around once production stops, the more my stock example will be worth.

AlphaSnake

86s falling into the 'hands of ricers'? Let them. The fewer around once production stops, the more my stock example will be worth.

With all due respect, much like a standard Dodge Stealth and Mistubishi 3000GT, the FRS and BRZ will never be worth anything or be desirable. It's more likely that the second gen BRZ will be desirable short term and long term, because it'll be produced entirely by Subaru without being anchored and sabotaged by Toyota. If both companies made high-powered variants of their cars in smaller volume (like the Stealth, Eagle, and 3000GT) then we'd have a different situation here.

With all due respect, much like a standard Dodge Stealth and Mistubishi 3000GT, the FRS and BRZ will never be worth anything or be desirable. It's more likely that the second gen BRZ will be desirable short term and long term, because it'll be produced entirely by Subaru without being anchored and sabotaged by Toyota. If both companies made high-powered variants of their cars in smaller volume (like the Stealth, Eagle, and 3000GT) then we'd have a different situation here.

You're probably right, it's not a special edition or anything like the Integra Type-R, where a clean example is one pricey unicorn, but you can never tell what will be worth money fifty years down the road.

Case in point: old fogeys at car shows yanking it to boring family sedans from the 50s. It always makes me think of somebody sixty years from now drooling over a mint condition 2015 Chevy Malibu, and I can't help but laugh.

AlphaSnake

You're probably right, it's not a special edition or anything like the Integra Type-R, where a clean example is one pricey unicorn, but you can never tell what will be worth money fifty years down the road.

Case in point: old fogeys at car shows yanking it to boring family sedans from the 50s. It always makes me think of somebody sixty years from now drooling over a mint condition 2015 Chevy Malibu, and I can't help but laugh.

One of the reasons random old sedans from that era can fetch something like $10-20K is because it's a miracle they didn't rust completely through over time. :p As a result, they're not very rare. It's highly unlikely a Camry from today's era will ever reach that point.

But I know what you mean. Still, what are the chances of anyone here keeping a car for 60 years to see its value appreciate? Boxers are very unique engines and will probably see some kind of collector appeal in about 20 years. But the 1st step is to keep and preserve your car for 20 years. :p

Chiester

I think the frs/brz in 15 years or so will be comparable to what a 240sx is like now. Still won't cost a lot in beat up condition, but will be highly desirable and cost more in clean condition. Only reason imo on why it won't go the way of the 3000GT is because it's rwd.

I think the frs/brz in 15 years or so will be comparable to what a 240sx is like now. Still won't cost a lot in beat up condition, but will be highly desirable and cost more in clean condition. Only reason imo on why it won't go the way of the 3000GT is because it's rwd.

Nobody predicted 25 years ago that AE86 and 240SX prices would be as insane as they are today. But drifting may end up being a fad, and as soon as kids latch on to the Next Big Thing, prices could plummet again.

For what it's worth, I bought my 86 to drive, not as an investment. If/when it's time to move on I may just pass it down to the kids instead of selling it. Can't think that far ahead right now - and don't need to :)

AlphaSnake

I'll agree with you there. It'll probably never get cheaper than $5K as long as it's clean. But will it ever appreciate to or past its original value?

Highly unlikely.

From this era there will be Porsches and BMWs (E9x M3, E6x M5/M6) that will be worth a lot of money in about 10-15 years. The BMW 1M has already ascended to the high heavens in that regard. Others will follow suit, soon.

Jackson

Holy shit at 1M prices, I had no idea they were holding value like that.

So few made and people could afford to buy them as collector cars. I've never seen one in the wild.

Ya I've seen one at the local C&C, it's kinda funky in person. Tiny but bulked up looking like the hulk if he were a toddler.

Per last two pages, thread title delivers again.

Having driven an FRS, I'd get the new Miata over the FRS but if you can afford an FRS + a bunch of mods then that means you can afford more and you should try something a little... higher-end.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, my savings account is even called "Porsche Fund". There's just a lot of rice in me. I was 16 when the Import Tuning scene blew up, and being in the NW, was exposed to a lot of that. I've had two WRXs, an Outback, and a Forrester, so the Subie blood is in me.

All it'll take is one test drive in a 911, I'm sure. I've driven the Cayman, and a Boxter, but never a 911.

*edit*

I'm also a tinkerer at heart. There's nothing stopping me from doing that with a 911, but it just feels more wrong than making modifications to a BRZ.

Ya I've seen one at the local C&C, it's kinda funky in person. Tiny but bulked up looking like the hulk if he were a toddler.

Personally I don't think "funky" is the right word, "fugly" is.

Yeah, my savings account is even called "Porsche Fund". There's just a lot of rice in me. I was 16 when the Import Tuning scene blew up, and being in the NW, was exposed to a lot of that. I've had two WRXs, an Outback, and a Forrester, so the Subie blood is in me.

All it'll take is one test drive in a 911, I'm sure. I've driven the Cayman, and a Boxter, but never a 911.

*edit*

I'm also a tinkerer at heart. There's nothing stopping me from doing that with a 911, but it just feels more wrong than making modifications to a BRZ.

Nah, go to some 911 forums, people screw with them like crazy. They tend to go easy on engine mods, but suspension, body, exhaust? Oh hell yeah, all the time.

nitewulf

the M235i is intriguing but its so ugly and seems overpriced. But DAT Inline 6...

yeah the 2014 base Caymans are still pretty pricey.

mkenyon

Banned
Well hello there...

Porsche-991-997-Vinyl-Car-Wrap-31.jpg

Nobody predicted 25 years ago that AE86 and 240SX prices would be as insane as they are today. But drifting may end up being a fad, and as soon as kids latch on to the Next Big Thing, prices could plummet again.

Dang, I've been balls deep in MGSV all week, I missed out on the discussion lol.

Anyway, pretty sure I've mentioned this before and I'm sure everyone knows even if I didn't but the AE86 wouldn't be a "success" if not for a tofu delivery driver. I mean it was already popular beforehand in Japan and some auto enthusiast circles since cheap RWD Toyota, but the current drift "culture" and the import scene as a whole latched on to it thanks to Initial D. You could even say the AE86 influenced the 240SX since it too was a cheap RWD car.

As for the BFZ-SR achieving cult status... I think it's too early to say if you ask me. I personally think it will only happen if Toyobaru totally stops producing them soon, but if that rumor about Subaru and Mazda joining up for the next BRZ turns up to be true... it wouldn't happen.

The rumors say Scooby wants to use the Miata's platform as base, and other rumors suggest that Mazda finally has time and money to R&D the next RX-7... I think you see where I'm trying to go with this lol.

Also, I actually kinda see mkenyon's point here. Yeah the 911 is objectively the better car in every single way... but my crazy side would rather prefer a modded Miata that can eat Porsches for lunch.

After 6,5 months of waiting here in germany I could pick up my Mustang GT yesterday. This car is absolutely amazing. I really want to drive every free minute at the moment, never had this feeling in any other car before.

It's crazy how many people stare at your car. Other drives barely focus on the road in front of them if you are next to them.

I drove the current Golf GTI with Performance Package for 1,5 years and the Mustang is superior in every way I can think of. The car in DIB is so beatiful, it really looks like it's way more expensive. It drives really good, it's stiff and direct and the feel of the clutch is perfect to me. And the sound is just out of this world compared to all that 4cyl turbos here.

3uggV8R.jpg

fAoF5yp.jpg

r3a4vFf.jpg

VLeAURp.jpg

OoyLkbQ.jpg

Browny

Banned
Beautiful car - congrats! The colour looks great, and it has some lovely angles - the side profile is very smart.

Also, now I'm hungry. Thanks.

No Love

Banned
After 6,5 months of waiting here in germany I could pick up my Mustang GT yesterday. This car is absolutely amazing. I really want to drive every free minute at the moment, never had this feeling in any other car before.

It's crazy how many people stare at your car. Other drives barely focus on the road in front of them if you are next to them.

I drove the current Golf GTI with Performance Package for 1,5 years and the Mustang is superior in every way I can think of. The car in DIB is so beatiful, it really looks like it's way more expensive. It drives really good, it's stiff and direct and the feel of the clutch is perfect to me. And the sound is just out of this world compared to all that 4cyl turbos here.

3uggV8R.jpg

fAoF5yp.jpg

r3a4vFf.jpg

VLeAURp.jpg

OoyLkbQ.jpg

It's so sad that people here in America don't spec out their Mustangs in gorgeous colors like this. All the ones I see are in boring ass or gaudy colors. Congrats, it looks great.

Evo X

Congrats samurai. Love the color.

Burgers, fries, and a V8 muscle car. Doesn't get more 'Murica! than that. lol. Not surprised it gets a lot of attention over there.

Some pics from today's C&C:

uOl0vJv.jpg

hxzCBhn.jpg

UC8jbq5.jpg

GnIPZNt.jpg

eYxHMQg.jpg

Mistel

Banned
It's so sad that people here in America don't spec out their Mustangs in gorgeous colors like this. All the ones I see are in boring ass or gaudy colors. Congrats, it looks great.
Well that's not surprising the most popular colors are some of the more plain ones:
Ruby red and deep metallic blue are the more interesting colors that are surprising to see in the top 3 in global markets.

AlphaSnake

I just saw this:

11999070_10154680330018644_8208391317507214901_n.jpg

11951100_10154680329938644_230873980920513323_n.jpg

Wtf? It was OEM. European E87 RHD, 6MT. The car's not even old enough to be legally imported here haha. How cool is that?

Jackson

I just saw this:

11999070_10154680330018644_8208391317507214901_n.jpg

11951100_10154680329938644_230873980920513323_n.jpg

Wtf? It was OEM. European E87 RHD, 6MT. The car's not even old enough to be legally imported here haha. How cool is that?

Makes sense it's got FL plates. Florida DMV will register anything. It's widely known they don't care. There's car import companies that operate out of FL to import anything from Zondas to Skylines to Sciroccos. Feds care though... If they find you, that car becomes another modern art cube.

No Love

Banned
Makes sense it's got FL plates. Florida DMV will register anything. It's widely known they don't care. There's car import companies that operate out of FL to import anything from Zondas to Skylines to Sciroccos. Feds care though... If they find you, that car becomes another modern art cube.

airplane_sunset_wallpapers_08.png

I need to go to FL for a while. R34, here I come. lol

AlphaSnake

airplane_sunset_wallpapers_08.png

I need to go to FL for a while. R34, here I come. lol

I have numerous neighbors/nearbys with Skylines here. There's a blue R34...I nearly shit myself when I saw it. White and Silver R33 (white one is a GT-S I have pics of, but still...cray). And the everyday R32 GTRs which are legal, but I was seeing them here before they were legal.

So yeah, it's awesome around here. The import scene is pretty good. All of the cars are suuuper clean too.

Dishwalla

Banned
Nice Mustang! I like that color.

I actually traded in my 2014 Ruby Red Mustang for a 2016 Ruby Red Ecoboost w/ Performance Package yesterday. I loved my '14, but I wanted to experience one of those turbo'd Ecoboosts with a manual. So far it's been pretty fun.

Congrats samurai. Love the color.

Burgers, fries, and a V8 muscle car. Doesn't get more 'Murica! than that. lol. Not surprised it gets a lot of attention over there.

Some pics from today's C&C:

uOl0vJv.jpg

hxzCBhn.jpg

UC8jbq5.jpg

GnIPZNt.jpg

eYxHMQg.jpg
Anyone else really like the look of the i8? I think it looks great.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
My little bro wants/needs a car (freshman in college). He plans to have 3k saved for a DP by December. He's looking in the compact/eco range. Talking to him yesterday he mentioned a Corolla or Dart. I guess one of his friends got a Dart and he likes it. It will be his first car so it doesnt need to be fancy or anything.

Suggestions?

My sister bought a Nissan Sentra with 3,000 miles on it in 2011 when she headed off to college. It's now ~4 years later and it has nearly 70,000 miles on it, and it's given her zero issues aside from a dead battery and having to fix the automatic locks under warranty.

Momentary

Banned
Google (Alphabet? lol) VP buys a FXXK for his wife's birthday (the 599XX in the back is also hers).

ferrari-laferrari-fxx-k-bought-by-google-executive-benjamin-sloss-for-wife-christine_100524788_l.jpg

She then proceeds to thrash it around Fiorano like it owed her money.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSMAYhfmlHc

Then she takes it to Spa (in the wet)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoBfEmpT_Hg

So cool.

I remember when he first bought that 599XX Evoluzion. I'd take the 599 over the FXX K. If I had hundreds of millions of dollars to make that choice freely that is. I'm sure he's waiting for them to make the track version of the Berlinetta so that he can buy himself his own birthday gift.

Good luck!!

JPY to CDN exchange has gotten so bad in the last few months. I bid on a white hardtop 98 mr2 gt-s back in April but my bid was way off the final sale price. Bid 800k CIF, went for 865k car cost alone. I basically stopped wasting my exporter's time after that because the cars I wanted were more than I was willing to pay.

After a R34 GTR?

Yeah the exchange rates have been rather poor, but it's not terrible (like vs the US dollar). Sucks to hear that you couldn't find something in your price range. I've got a landed price maximum that I'm willing to pay. I'm all for being patience. It took me a while to find my S15, so I'd already figured that it would take me just as long if not longer (5 months or so).

I'm actually after a JZX100 Chaser (or Mark II). I prefer the Chaser though. I'm looking to build a fun weekend (and track) car.

I'm still watching the BNR34 prices, but I haven't seen any good auctions in my price range ($45K).

From what I understand, Arizona is far game as well if you can have the title (translated) in hand. I know of a few Skylines (among other RHD JDM only cars) lurking out there.

Well, I've done something a little crazy.. I had a perfectly drivable, low mileage Honda accord and I traded it in towards a 2016 Subaru WRX.

The difference in feel between the two cars is really staggering and the change from Automatic to Manual is quite jarring.

Pictures of the new baby -

pictures said:

Over the next few weeks I'll be driving as much as my nerves will allow (and as much as work dictates) to get used to driving the new car.

I get the impression that learning manual is just one of those things you have to do through practice, but does anyone have any pointers for a newbie?

Makki

I get the impression that learning manual is just one of those things you have to do through practice, but does anyone have any pointers for a newbie?

You did the absolute right thing not buying a crappy CVT, congrats!. In order to not let nervousness halt your learning process, simply practice start stop in your parking lot. Try to learn how to take off with minimal clutch slippage and very low gas input. Thankfully since you have insane amounts of torque it will be hard to stall the car.

Try this, put the car on 1st and simply let out the clutch slowly without giving it any gas and find exactly where the car begins to try to move. Push it back in and keep doing this to build some muscle memory. Once you got that nailed down simply lightly press the gas just a tad next time you get to the sweet spot and slowly release the clutch fully while maintaining the very low gas application. You will find that you will take off mega smooth with no clutch burning or lurching!

Beyond that, 2nd and on require very little finesse in clutch application, just dont let out the clutch like you are stepping on hot coals and you will be fine. The other thing you might have to keep in the back of your mind initially is that any time you stop fully you must press the clutch down! Try to stay away from bad habits like putting it in neutral to coast to a red light, slowing down in gear saves gas and allows you to be ready to move again easier.

Last tip, on manuals you must get used to picking the appropriate gear before you take a turn, dont wait until you've made the turn and want to begin accelerating out or else you will be bogging the engine and rushing to shove the gear lever into something else.

From what I understand, Arizona is far game as well if you can have the title (translated) in hand. I know of a few Skylines (among other RHD JDM only cars) lurking out there.

I don't think its quite as easy as florida though. I've seen an R34 driving around so I know its possible. Its not something I would try though, I'd just stick to 25+ year old cars.

just an update on my car that I wanted to bring to the attention of potential buyers.

you may have read about this on bmw forums and its absolutely true as I'm finding this out firsthand, the windshields being used on F80/F82 M3/M4s are absolute shit.

my car is 6 months old and the first month i found a small crack in the windshield. same spot where my previous car which i owned for 10 years had a crack. Now i have to live with it on this new, much more expensive car.

month 5 into ownership i started noticing the windshield absolutely covered in dozens of little chips.

i have a thing about clean, clear visibility in a car so i don't tint my windows, and have them clean and streak free at all times. millions of chips on the windshield do not help my OCD.

again, this isn't just a case of me tailgating people as there are big threads about many others having the same problem; much more severe in most cases in fact.

i honestly hope these things are recalled.

Congrats on the WRX!

Last tip, on manuals you must get used to picking the appropriate gear before you take a turn, dont wait until you've made the turn and want to begin accelerating out or else you will be bogging the engine and rushing to shove the gear lever into something else.

I know it's too early to learn, but I think rev-matching is worth mentioning simply because you kinda brought it up lol. I'd explain but I feel a YouTube video might be better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5TEUv__2m4

Since we're on the subject of driving stick, here's the legendary Ayrton Senna driving an NSX with fncking loafers on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUVkVB3SUf4

matmanx1

3uggV8R.jpg

fAoF5yp.jpg

r3a4vFf.jpg

VLeAURp.jpg

OoyLkbQ.jpg

Deep Impact Blue was absolutely the right choice. The paint in the pic looks deep enough to go swimming in. Really, really nice.

Well, I've done something a little crazy.. I had a perfectly drivable, low mileage Honda accord and I traded it in towards a 2016 Subaru WRX.

The difference in feel between the two cars is really staggering and the change from Automatic to Manual is quite jarring.

Over the next few weeks I'll be driving as much as my nerves will allow (and as much as work dictates) to get used to driving the new car.

Congrats! You will love it. With manuals practice makes perfect. Get out there and have fun learning. Oh and welcome to the stick shift club!

Jackson

My buddy's first car was a Rex and I made him get manual, because you can't do a an auto or CVT Rex!

I drove it home from the dealer for him. Took him like 10 days to learn it smoothly. He picked it up in no time! :) You will too. It's just those first few hours that are tough.

Top Bottom