• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

No Love

Banned
So I was merging onto the freeway today, had a good opening, and leap out to the fast lane pretty quickly and noticed the car behind me do the same, keeping right up with me. I had to get off at the next exit so I got over into the right lane and the car lays on the throttle and blasts up the left lane with a glorious roar.

Turns out it was a CTS-V wagon and although I'd seen them before, they were always just puttering along. So I did some research on it when I got back home and man, I wouldn't mind having one of those for my next car - 550+ hp out of a V8, magnetic ride control, manual, and wagon format. Although I imagine the manual version is a unicorn considering the low sales volume the car did. Would love to see the wagon version rereleased by Cadillac, but that probably has a snowball's chance in hell of happening.

Yup, the winner was out of the blue for me and so were the rankings, but it was a fun read.

CTS-V Wagon is a sexy beast. A worthy sleeper and possibly the greatest wagon ever.

SliChillax

Subaru actually has people thinking their old unreliable EJ25 is a feature of their lackluster STi's now.

What's funny is that Subaru still can't put a motor in an STi that is better in any way or more reliable than the almost 30 year old 4G63. 😂

Kinda reminds me of the M2 vs M240i "fiasco". The N55 in the M2 is older, less efficent and has worse power delivery than the newer B58 in the M240i. The M240i is also faster in a straight line than an M2.

Ovid

So I was merging onto the freeway today, had a good opening, and leap out to the fast lane pretty quickly and noticed the car behind me do the same, keeping right up with me. I had to get off at the next exit so I got over into the right lane and the car lays on the throttle and blasts up the left lane with a glorious roar.

Turns out it was a CTS-V wagon and although I'd seen them before, they were always just puttering along. So I did some research on it when I got back home and man, I wouldn't mind having one of those for my next car - 550+ hp out of a V8, magnetic ride control, manual, and wagon format. Although I imagine the manual version is a unicorn considering the low sales volume the car did. Would love to see the wagon version rereleased by Cadillac, but that probably has a snowball's chance in hell of happening.

Yup, the winner was out of the blue for me and so were the rankings, but it was a fun read.
The CTS-V is Corvette wearing a suit.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Haha, was this in Seattle, by any chance? Same thing JUST happened to me. Was pearlescent white and the dude was hauling ass.

ascii42

There were a little over 500 manual CTS-V Wagons produced, out of something like 1700 total CTS-V Wagons. They barely depreciate. I got to drive an automatic version once. Such an awesome thing.

Evo X

Did you guys watch the latest Grand Tour yet?

The lap of the off road rally race in the Jaguar F-Pace looked like so much fun! I want to do something like that one day.

On another note, they really don't give a shit about keeping those test cars in one piece huh? Hammond crashed the side of his going too hot in a corner, May absolutely wrecked the paint on the Bentayga with the rocks being hurled up at it, and Clarkson went full throttle up the side of a mountain and through a small lake in his Range Rover. Lol

boltz

Haha, was this in Seattle, by any chance? Same thing JUST happened to me. Was pearlescent white and the dude was hauling ass.

It was a little but farther south than Seattle, in Orange County, CA :)

There were a little over 500 manual CTS-V Wagons produced, out of something like 1700 total CTS-V Wagons. They barely depreciate. I got to drive an automatic version once. Such an awesome thing.

Yeah, that's a tragedy for everyone but those owners. If Cadillac never comes out with a wagon again, I can see it becoming a future classic.

I mean for that money wouldn't you be better off getting an m2?

Are M2s still hard to get in terms of availability? They're regular production run cars, not one offs like the 1M right?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It was a little but farther south than Seattle, in Orange County, CA :)

Yeah, that's a tragedy for everyone but those owners. If Cadillac never comes out with a wagon again, I can see it becoming a future classic.

Are M2s still hard to get in terms of availability? They're regular production run cars, not one offs like the 1M right?

Yes. There's a dealer here with 100 person wait list and seven units shipping.

It's also - like the GT4 - a case of being massively overrated* - and that you can buy better cars for the (marked up) price with safer residuals and less hassle. Most of the 100 people on that waitlist have never even sat inside one.

* The cars themseleves are fantastic, but when this artificial inflation happens the sense curve drops off the chart.

SliChillax

It's a bit of a unicorn given its rarity, which is why I'd strongly consider it if I had the finances!

I don't expect the prices to go up, I find the 1M too ugly to have any feelings about it. I know it's one of the best M cars of all time but I have to like the looks of a car before I fall in love with it completely. And let's not talk about the horrible interior...

Yes. There's a dealer here with 100 person wait list and seven units shipping.

It's also - like the GT4 - a case of being massively overrated* - and that you can buy better cars for the (marked up) price with safer residuals and less hassle. Most of the 100 people on that waitlist have never even sat inside one.

* The cars themseleves are fantastic, but when this artificial inflation happens the sense curve drops off the chart.
Yeah it's very frustrating. I really wanted an M2 but I don't feel like it's worth waiting a year and a half for it.

I don't expect the prices to go up, I find the 1M too ugly to have any feelings about it. I know it's one of the best M cars of all time but I have to like the looks of a car before I fall in love with it completely. And let's not talk about the horrible interior...

I really like the exterior, more so than the current M line up, M2 included (I drive an M140i which is hardly a looker, but I didn't buy it for appearances). I even think it looks better than the E46 M3. It looks far more aggressive than the E46, with comical stretched features. Interior is dated and cheap but I'd be happy to overlook it given the rest of the package.

The prices in the UK have gone up, slowly. Nearly 20% in 2 years, so it'd be a reasonably safe asset.

mkenyon

Banned
The simple interior is something I appreciate about the E82 1 series in general. Sure, the materials aren't as nice as more expensive things, but it's everything you really need in a simple layout. Nothing to clutter the driver's experience.

As per the looks, I love the profile of the E82. I definitely get that it's subjective, and can see how some would not like it.

BMW-1M-Coupe-side.jpg

It just has so much personality, without being overly busy or fancy.

SliChillax

I really like the exterior, more so than the current M line up, M2 included (I drive an M140i which is hardly a looker, but I didn't buy it for appearances). I even think it looks better than the E46 M3. It looks far more aggressive than the E46, with comical stretched features. Interior is dated and cheap but I'd be happy to overlook it given the rest of the package.

The prices in the UK have gone up, slowly. Nearly 20% in 2 years, so it'd be a reasonably safe asset.

If I had an M140i, I would convert it into an M1/1M. You already have a better engine than the M2, add the front and rear subframe of the M4 and the LSD and there you have it. Add the M2 front fascia complete with the wider fender, custom make wider fenders in the back and you have the car BMW will never make.

If I had an M140i, I would convert it into an M1/1M. You already have a better engine than the M2, add the front and rear subframe of the M4 and the LSD and there you have it. Add the M2 front fascia complete with the finder fender, custom make wider fenders in the back and you have the car BMW will never make.

I can certainly see myself keeping it so modifications aren't out of the question. First up would be the LSD and it can be done without nuking my warranty, then some exhaust modification next. JB4 to follow and maybe further in the future something like the chassis mods you've mentioned. Some good recommendations!

Crayon

These are not as common a sight as they used to be.

54aecd63b575d7ed79d0b06c.jpg

There's a white one that I get o see parked once in awhile. I only drove one once. A poor example, at that.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Test drove an RS today. Man, that thing looks sharp in steth grey. Really nice car too. Performance wise it felt comparable with my tuned evo, but without the rough "track ready" feel of my car. And the interior is of course loads better. The back seats are a bit of a joke though, i could never get this now that i have a family.

my local Ford dealer has three RS cars but they've been sitting for a while so theyre likely charging an ADM. really nice looking cars but i've been reading a lot of negativity about them the last few months. heck, now that i think about it, the other ford dealer has had theirs for even longer. these dealers are delusional.

went to check out a few cars with my dad as he's looking for a 60th birthday gift. trying to convince him to get a Macan GTS. the one we saw was amazing. the alcantara interior, the 295 rears, and low stance. if i was into SUVs i'd sell my M3 for one.

the other sweet looking porsche is the 718 Cayman S. kinda considering possibly swapping the M3 for one but i just bought a bunch of track stuff for my car so I'll likely hold onto this thing for another year or two.

Anybody watching the Rolex 24 Hours at Daytona?

yup.

rokkerkory

So what's a guy to do when he graduates from an E92 S65 M3 godly of a car?

Approaching my late 30s, I am contemplating what's the car for me as I get into my 40s?

I won't track as much if ever after 40 but I still want a drivers car. Something with a bit of prestige, exclusivity, and power.

Is this what it feels like for those jumping into P cars? LOL

new 911 S? (new prices are terrible)
new M4 ZCP? (but the wack engine and sounds)
used GT3? (kinda rough to live with)
used R8 v10? (that mpg)

There's really nothing else I'd even consider around 80-100k. Not into jaguar, astons, etc. =/

SliChillax

Approaching my late 30s, I am contemplating what's the car for me as I get into my 40s?

I won't track as much if ever after 40 but I still want a drivers car. Something with a bit of prestige, exclusivity, and power.

used R8 v10? (that mpg)

There's really nothing else I'd even consider around 80-100k. Not into jaguar, astons, etc. =/

BMW M2? Doesn't sound shit like the M4 (although I think the competition pack sounds ok) and people say it handles better and is more fun to driven than the M4
Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio if you can live with the ugly exterior
718 Cayman S though they sound even worse than the M4
New Camaro ZL1, beast of a machine if you're a fan of the exterior. Amazing chassis, engine, suspension, gearbox etc everything is almost perfect on that car

These are not as common a sight as they used to be.

54aecd63b575d7ed79d0b06c.jpg

There's a white one that I get o see parked once in awhile. I only drove one once. A poor example, at that.

Everytime someone posts pic of an E30 M3, I'm reminded of my dads friend, a dumbass who sold his E30 M3 for scrap in the early 2000. It was a tough time for Albania back then and he didn't know the value of the car.

rokkerkory

BMW M2? Doesn't sound shit like the M4 (although I think the competition pack sounds ok) and people say it handles better and is more fun to driven than the M4
Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio if you can live with the ugly exterior
718 Cayman S though they sound even worse than the M4
New Camaro ZL1, beast of a machine if you're a fan of the exterior. Amazing chassis, engine, suspension, gearbox etc everything is almost perfect on that car

M2 is too small and interior feels a bit cheap. Perhaps there will be an M2 GTS and will consider that.

I forgot to leave off the Cayman GT4! Would totally consider one of those.

No american muscle for me, just doesn't suit me even though I do love the GT350. :)

SliChillax

M2 is too small and interior feels a bit cheap. Perhaps there will be an M2 GTS and will consider that.

No american muscle for me, just doesn't suit me even though I do love the GT350. :)

There will be an M2 GTS or whatever they'll call it, it'll have the S55 engine that's in the M4 although slightly detuned to 400hp. It will be very limited though so keep that in mind.

Evo X

used R8 v10? (that mpg)

Only cars on your list that fall within your budget are the M4 and high mileage R8 V10s.

Used 991 GT3 and new 991.2 S are way north of 100k.

IMO, you should look for a clean 2014 911 Turbo to fall into your budget. It's got the power, prestige and tech and can be driven year round comfortably.

If you want new, don't discount the base 911. It's quite fast with sport chrono. When i was driving one, I was neck and neck with my friends supercharged E39 M5 up to 140mph.

Edit: Just saw your new post. Yeah. GT4 is the best sports car around 100k. See if you can drive one. I'd give you mine to take out if you were around Chicago.

matmanx1

my local Ford dealer has three RS cars but they've been sitting for a while so theyre likely charging an ADM. really nice looking cars but i've been reading a lot of negativity about them the last few months. heck, now that i think about it, the other ford dealer has had theirs for even longer. these dealers are delusional.

went to check out a few cars with my dad as he's looking for a 60th birthday gift. trying to convince him to get a Macan GTS. the one we saw was amazing. the alcantara interior, the 295 rears, and low stance. if i was into SUVs i'd sell my M3 for one.

the other sweet looking porsche is the 718 Cayman S. kinda considering possibly swapping the M3 for one but i just bought a bunch of track stuff for my car so I'll likely hold onto this thing for another year or two.

yup.

I have my Porsche Experience event schedule for next Saturday (a week from today) and will be driving the Macan GTS. I am very much looking forward to it. It would be a heck of a daily driver for combining a lot of performance with a lot of usability.

grendelrt

used R8 v10? (that mpg)

I went e92 M3 to a Cayman S. I plan on going either another Cayman or 911 next, even the base 911 now is fast as hell.

rokkerkory

Only cars on your list that fall within your budget are the M4 and high mileage R8 V10s.

Used 991 GT3 and new 991.2 S are way north of 100k.

IMO, you should look for a clean 2014 911 Turbo to fall into your budget. It's got the power, prestige and tech and can be driven year round comfortably.

If you want new, don't discount the base 911. It's quite fast with sport chrono. When i was driving one, I was neck and neck with my friends supercharged E39 M5 up to 140mph.

Edit: Just saw your new post. Yeah. GT4 is the best sports car around 100k. See if you can drive one. I'd give you mine to take out if you were around Chicago.

No you are right, right now used GT3 is north of 100k. I meant in a few years when I hit my 40s; hopefully they will drop just below 100k by then. But who knows, they hold value so well.

GT4 looks amazing, if I can get one that is. I'd love to check out your rides if I am ever in chi-town, appreciate it!

I have my Porsche Experience event schedule for next Saturday (a week from today) and will be driving the Macan GTS. I am very much looking forward to it. It would be a heck of a daily driver for combining a lot of performance with a lot of usability.

report back with your experience. its a seriously nice car inside and out and i'm sure the best in class in performance.

mkenyon

Banned

You should seriously consider driving a new Camaro. Just go for a test drive.

It's basically the only new car on the market similar to your E92.

Motor Trend preferred the SS over the M4.

SliChillax

You should seriously consider driving a new Camaro. Just go for a test drive.

It's basically the only new car on the market similar to your E92.

Motor Trend preferred the SS over the M4.

They even ranked the Camaro V6 1LE above the M2 which I find shocking. They also preferred the Corvette Grand Sport over the 991.2 Carrera S. I haven't driven the new Chevy's myself but are they really that good? It's so surprising how far they've come.

v1lla21

There was a cars & coffee today in Alameda but I didn't end up going :(
Yeah the new Camaro is super nice especially for the price. First Chevy I wouldn't mind owning.

Evo X

They even ranked the Camaro V6 1LE above the M2 which I find shocking. They also preferred the Corvette Grand Sport over the 991.2 Carrera S. I haven't driven the new Chevy's myself but are they really that good? It's so surprising how far they've come.

The new Chevys are great sports cars and a tremendous value. I mean the Grand Sport is literally half the price of a well specced Carrera S.

I was about to buy a Stingray before I got my Cayman GTS. Of course, you don't get the refinement, luxury, and nuance of a Porsche, but they are great fun for the money.

mkenyon

Banned
Honestly, from the Chevy SS, to the Camaro, to the Vette, it seems like Chevy is picking up the slack left by BMW to deliver amazing driving machines at reasonable prices.

They've finally mated their spectacular small block to proper dynamics, driving feel, and decent chassis.

There's also the great stuff Caddy is doing.

SliChillax

Honestly, from the Chevy SS, to the Camaro, to the Vette, it seems like Chevy is picking up the slack left by BMW to deliver amazing driving machines at reasonable prices.

They've finally mated their spectacular small block to proper dynamics, driving feel, and decent chassis.

There's also the great stuff Caddy is doing.

The new Chevys are great sports cars and a tremendous value. I mean the Grand Sport is literally half the price of a well specced Carrera S.

I was about to buy a Stingray before I got my Cayman GTS. Of course, you don't get the refinement, luxury, and nuance of a Porsche, but they are great fun for the money.
Only thing keeping me from selling my M235i and getting a Camaro SS is the lack of dealers in Albania to take care of it. I find it annoying to have to ship the car to Italy everytime it needs something done. I love my M235i but the lack of lsd and cheap interior is getting annoying. I've sat in a fully loaded V6 Camaro and found the interior to be much better and visibility wasn't a problem.

Pinewood

Most tests say its not as fun as the competition. Havent driven any cars in the range but Id steer clear of the M2 based on looks alone. What was BMW thinking with that front spoiler?

SliChillax

Most tests say its not as fun as the competition. Havent driven any cars in the range but Id steer clear of the M2 based on looks alone. What was BMW thinking with that front spoiler?
Most tests? All tests have been very positive while they tend to shit on the M4. I also think the M2 is the best looking BMW atm, don't know what you mean about front spoiler the car is a sight to behold in person with its amazing wide fenders and aggressive front.

Pinewood

Most tests? All tests have been very positive while they tend to shit on the M4. I also think the M2 is the best looking BMW atm, don't know what you mean about front spoiler the car is a sight to behold in person with its amazing wide fenders and aggressive front.
By tests I mean both the Evo car of the year and the motor trend test, both which didnt give the best impression of the car compared to the competition (as I said, I havent driven any of these cars myself)

By the looks I mean this doesnt look good to me at all
The middle part looks like a pouty mouth, the side bits have these weird wings in them, I just dont like this at all

SliChillax

By tests I mean both the Evo car of the year and the motor trend test, both which didnt give the best impression of the car compared to the competition (as I said, I havent driven any of these cars myself)

By the looks I mean this doesnt look good to me at all

The middle part looks like a pouty mouth, the side bits have these weird wings in them, I just dont like this at all

The fact that the M2 was even on those lists among more expensive cars is a great achievement. That's like saying the Rolling Stones (or whatever band you like) are a shit band because they ranked number 8 on the top 10 best bands of all time list instead of ranking first. I also highly disagree again with the front end, that pic looks nothing like it does in person. There's a weird wide angle going on and it does not do the car justice. This is the closest pic I can find that does the car some justice in pics and I find it absurd to call it ugly

Pinewood

The fact that the M2 was even on those lists among more expensive cars is a great achievement. That's like saying the Rolling Stones (or whatever band you like) are a shit band because they ranked number 8 on the top 10 best bands of all time list instead of ranking first. I also highly disagree again with the front end, that pic looks nothing like it does in person. There's a weird wide angle going on and it does not do the car justice. This is the closest pic I can find that does the car some justice in pics and I find it absurd to call it ugly
Everything but the Porsche on the Motor Trend list costs less and I never called the car shit. The fact that something is on a top 10 list doesnt mean I have to like it.

You dont see me trying to invalidate your opinion on the Alfa Giula because I like it, why are you trying to invalidate my opinion on the M2?

Top Bottom