• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

SliChillax

Everything but the Porsche on the Motor Trend list costs less and I never called the car shit. The fact that something is on a top 10 list doesnt mean I have to like it.

You dont see me trying to invalidate your opinion on the Alfa Giula because I like it, why are you trying to invalidate my opinion on the M2?

Because I never said the Giulia is a bad car because it didn't rank first on a list. I actually praise the Giulia everytime it's mentioned. And you're gonna forget to mention the Evo list which all cars except the Focus RS were more expensive than the M2? From that Motor Trend list it seems the 2 major complaints was the steering feel which I agree and the manual shifter feeling mediocre. Seems like they should have had the DCT then which is amazing. And I never said you have to like it, I said the fact that it doesn't win the list doesn't make it bad. The fact that it is on a list means you can't go wrong with any of those cars, you just buy the ones who suit you better.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
By tests I mean both the Evo car of the year and the motor trend test, both which didnt give the best impression of the car compared to the competition (as I said, I havent driven any of these cars myself)

By the looks I mean this doesnt look good to me at all

The middle part looks like a pouty mouth, the side bits have these weird wings in them, I just dont like this at all

Of course it's not as fast as the competition. Because the competition was mostly six figure super cars!

Come on, now.

Btw, had a dream about my 370Z again, guys. But it's probably because I was watching a 600HP Aston Martin V8 Vantage with a GMR supercharger right before going to bed. LOL.

I'd love to have a 3rd car in my life with a 6MT. :'(

matmanx1

Of course it's not as fast as the competition. Because the competition was mostly six figure super cars!

Come on, now.

Btw, had a dream about my 370Z again, guys. But it's probably because I was watching a 600HP Aston Martin V8 Vantage with a GMR supercharger right before going to bed. LOL.

Replying to the bolded: Yeah, I Iove rowing the gears in my MX-5. There's something so satisfying about nailing a perfectly smooth gear shift and the interaction between the clutch, accelerator and shifter in that car.

Thinking back on it, the main reason I sold my G37 was because I missed shifting my own gears. To me, a "fun" car just isn't as much fun as it could be if it doesn't have a great manual gearbox.

Bandit1

Got in my mom's car today, (2002 Bonneville with the 3.8 V6) turned the key to start it, it cranked for less than half a second, and then there was a loud boom. Opened the hood to see that the intake had exploded:

31751187774_36344a316b_c.jpg

I was too amazed to even be mad.

mkenyon

Banned

Come on, now.

Why 3rd? My wife hauls a baby to the grocery store in an M5. :p

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Got in my mom's car today, (2002 Bonneville with the 3.8 V6) turned the key to start it, it cranked for less than half a second, and then there was a loud boom. Opened the hood to see that the intake had exploded:

You know what? If an engine component is going to go, then going in a completely accessible, handily identifiable, easily replaceable fashion, is downright civilized.

No Love

Banned
The fact that the M2 was even on those lists among more expensive cars is a great achievement. That's like saying the Rolling Stones (or whatever band you like) are a shit band because they ranked number 8 on the top 10 best bands of all time list instead of ranking first. I also highly disagree again with the front end, that pic looks nothing like it does in person. There's a weird wide angle going on and it does not do the car justice. This is the closest pic I can find that does the car some justice in pics and I find it absurd to call it ugly

My neighbor has a blue M2 6MT. Beautiful car, looks so much meaner than the M235i (which another neighbor has) it's not even funny. M2 looks better than M4 (to me).

negitoro7

The fact that the M2 was even on those lists among more expensive cars is a great achievement. That's like saying the Rolling Stones (or whatever band you like) are a shit band because they ranked number 8 on the top 10 best bands of all time list instead of ranking first. I also highly disagree again with the front end, that pic looks nothing like it does in person. There's a weird wide angle going on and it does not do the car justice. This is the closest pic I can find that does the car some justice in pics and I find it absurd to call it ugly

The M2 is my current dream car and I'd do unspeakable things to trade my Golf R for one. Way more desirable to me than a current M3/M4.

SliChillax

My neighbor has a blue M2 6MT. Beautiful car, looks so much meaner than the M235i (which another neighbor has) it's not even funny. M2 looks better than M4 (to me).

I know right? I loved my M235i until I saw an M2.

The M2 is my current dream car and I'd do unspeakable things to trade my Golf R for one. Way more desirable to me than a current M3/M4.
Too bad they're hard to get, you either have to wait a long time or pay more for a used one. Not worth it in these conditions.

Got the Wifes new wagon on Saturday.

I'll try and get some pictures together this week.

It's making me want to ditch my trusty old E36 and go get an E46.

Smokey

I dunno....M4 in the right color combo looks fierce af

The 2 series proportions always looked weird to me

SliChillax

I dunno....M4 in the right color combo looks fierce af

The 2 series proportions always looked weird to me

2 Series proportions are weird, I plan on getting 19 inch wheels for my M235i cause with 18 it looks like those dogs with normal sized dogs with very short legs.

Mistel

Banned

Yeah they do that it's a faulty fuel pressure regulator it lets gas into the intake so either it runs really rich or it explodes like that when you turn the key.

negitoro7

Same lol although I'd settle for the m240i.

I know right? I loved my M235i until I saw an M2.

Too bad they're hard to get, you either have to wait a long time or pay more for a used one. Not worth it in these conditions.

I also loved the M235i (now M240i) but just couldn't stretch my budget to it. Couldn't justify paying similar or more money as my Golf R for the 228i, especially as I add in the options and packages. I still find myself wondering if I should've found some way to make the figures work for the M235i. Chris Harris' comparison video eases my post-decisional dissonance though as he had high praises for the Golf R too.

The M2 is on a whole 'nother level of lust and want though. What a machine.

SliChillax

I also loved the M235i (now M240i) but just couldn't stretch my budget to it. Couldn't justify paying similar or more money as my Golf R for the 228i, especially as I add in the options and packages. I still find myself wondering if I should've found some way to make the figures work for the M235i. Chris Harris' comparison video eases my post-decisional dissonance though as he had high praises for the Golf R too.

The M2 is on a whole 'nother level of lust and want though. What a machine.

Imo, you get the better interior in the Golf and practicality. You can't go wrong with either, it all depends what you're looking for. I also love the Golf R but I'm more of a rwd guy and I don't care for the 2 extra doors. Might I ask what mpg you get in the city with the R? I used a few months ago a Beetle Turbo which uses the Mk6 GTI engine for a couple of days and was shocked how horrible fuel economy was. My M235i is a much cheaper car to run in the city.

v1lla21

Imo, you get the better interior in the Golf and practicality. You can't go wrong with either, it all depends what you're looking for. I also love the Golf R but I'm more of a rwd guy and I don't care for the 2 extra doors. Might I ask what mpg you get in the city with the R? I used a few months ago a Beetle Turbo which uses the Mk6 GTI engine for a couple of days and was shocked how horrible fuel economy was. My M235i is a much cheaper car to run in the city.
Can't comment on his mk7 r but my mk6 gti averages around 22 in the city with normal driving. Do you remember what you were getting in the beetle?

negitoro7

Yeah I got the R (and before that, the MK6 GTI) for the practicality as I was planning a future with my then long-time gf. We've broken up and I could use a 6mt RWD sporty car in my life. Even tested the ND Miata to scratch the itch lately.

I'm getting really disappointing fuel economy in my R. 20 mpg with about 80% city and 20% highway. Now at 20,000 kms total. Strangely, I found my stage 2 tuned MK6 GTI phenomenal on gas.

SliChillax

Can't comment on his mk7 r but my mk6 gti averages around 22 in the city with normal driving. Do you remember what you were getting in the beetle?
What kind of traffic are we talking about? In my city traffic is horrible, there's traffic lights everywhere so I stop a lot. With the Beetle I was getting around 13-14 us mpg while my M235i gets around 18-19 mpg.

Yeah I got the R (and before that, the MK6 GTI) for the practicality as I was planning a future with my then long-time gf. We've broken up and I could use a 6mt RWD sporty car in my life. Even tested the ND Miata to scratch the itch lately.

I'm getting really disappointing fuel economy in my R. 20 mpg with about 80% city and 20% highway. Now at 20,000 kms total. Strangely, I found my stage 2 tuned MK6 GTI phenomenal on gas.
I've seen 23mpg from my M235i in the city (if you drive like a saint in normal traffic) otherwise like I said in my post above. I wouldn't suggest the M235i as your manual rwd car. The manual in it is not the best in its class and it doesn't even have an lsd for fun slides. I'm also not a big fan of the suspension, too much body roll for my taste but that might be to eliminate some understeer. It is a missile though with JB4 and catless titanum downpipes, it sounds glorious, its comfortable enough, has enough options and has surprisingly great fuel economy. I've managed to get 39mpg constantly during road trips.

Im going to throw some names out there, and I know they are different, but they are in my price range. So bear with me. Its going to be a lease.

Mustang Eco Boost
Subaru WRX
Subaru BRZ

Any other suggestions in this group, maybe a car I am not thinking of?

SliChillax

Im going to throw some names out there, and I know they are different, but they are in my price range. So bear with me. Its going to be a lease.

Mustang Eco Boost - Not the best handling, probably has the best power and most easily to tune
Subaru WRX - Great car with an ancient engine
Subaru BRZ - This would be my choice, yeah it's underpowered but it's the most fun out of the ones you listed

Mustang Eco Boost - Not the best handling, probably has the best power and most easy to tune
Subaru BRZ - This would be my choice, yeah it's underpowered but it's the most fun out of the ones you listed

Mustang Eco Boost - Not the best handling, probably has the best power and most easy to tune

The STi has the ancient engine. The WRX is essentially a turbo'd BRZ engine. I tested both the WRX and BRZ and I can't get over how the underpowered the BRZ felt. It has good power but you have to rev and drive it hard. The QRX and I assume the Mustang just ride a wave of power. Test them and see what feels right. They are also all very different in size too.

rokkerkory

Mustang Eco Boost
Subaru WRX
Subaru BRZ

Get the BRZ and supercharge it and call it a day.

Shadoken

The STi has the ancient engine. The WRX is essentially a turbo'd BRZ engine. I tested both the WRX and BRZ and I can't get over how the underpowered the BRZ felt. It has good power but you have to rev and drive it hard. The QRX and I assume the Mustang just ride a wave of power. Test them and see what feels right. They are also all very different in size too.

Yea the BRZs 200hp is actually more than sufficient , its just the Torque dip that makes you need to drive it at above 5000RPM to make it feel like a sports car.

Mustang Eco Boost
Subaru WRX
Subaru BRZ

Really depends on what you look for in a car. Might be easier if you could tell your preferences like Fun,Practicality,Power,Daily drivability..etc. BRZ seems to be the best of the lot , but a WRX is a lot more practical ( 4 doors,AWD). Treat the BRZ as a 2 seater , the legroom in the back in non-existent. Maaaybe 3 ppl could squeeze in.

I just want to enjoy driving. I have a 2015 FR-S, lease is coming up.

Does the WRX feel heavy? I know its like 3,300 pounds or so that is not bad. I haven't had a 4 wheel drive since my Jaguar x-type.

I don't know what to get.
I drive less than 10,k a year, but I enjoy driving. The Fr-s has been great. I do not like the new Toyo refresh except the BRZ refresh is actually nice.

Like in my heart of hearts I wish Mazda still made a 90's Rx-7, because that's what i would get.

Evo X

Wait what? Doing? Congrats man.

Don't you have a detail shop too?

Thanks! Sales and marketing hybrid role. I'll be selling cars as well as assisting the digital marketing team. My office is in a newly redesigned auto mall where the owner also has dealerships for Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, Infiniti, and Honda, as well as Land Rover, and Audi in a separate location so I'll be able to sell anything that falls under that umbrella if any of my friends and family want.

But officially, I'm an employee of Porsche and will be doing their certification program. For training, I'm getting flown out to the Porsche Experience Center for 3 days to drive the entire range on track. I'm hype af right now. Lol

The detail shop belongs to a friend. I do web + software development and real estate. Will continue both on the side.

If you're coming form a FRS then the WRX will feel much heavier. But it did not feel heavy compared to other cars. It had that planted, invincible feel to me while the BRZ had that puppy like enthusiasm.

I'm getting old so I find that the power of true GT car is calling to me. I spent too much time on high reviving 600cc sportbikes. I want dat torque!

If you're coming form a FRS then the WRX will feel much heavier. But it did not feel heavy compared to other cars. It had that planted, invincible feel to me while the BRZ had that puppy like enthusiasm.

I'm getting old so I find that the power of true GT car is calling to me. I spent too much time on high reviving 600cc sportbikes. I want dat torque!

Is the WRX a better bet than the Mustang?

Thanks! Sales and marketing hybrid role. I'll be selling cars as well as assisting the digital marketing team. My office is in a newly redesigned auto mall where the owner also has dealerships for Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, Infiniti, and Honda, as well as Land Rover, and Audi in a separate location so I'll be able to sell anything that falls under that umbrella if any of my friends and family want.

But officially, I'm an employee of Porsche and will be doing their certification program. For training, I'm getting flown out to the Porsche Experience Center for 3 days to drive the entire range on track. I'm hype af right now. Lol

The detail shop belongs to a friend. I do web + software development and real estate. Will continue both on the side.

Man, that's great. Congratulations!

mkenyon

Banned
Excited to announce that I officially got a job at Porsche!

Starting Wednesday. :D
Fuck ya, grats! Should be a perfect fit, let them know you're already doing tons of work on NeoGAF. ;)

Mustang Eco Boost
Subaru WRX
Subaru BRZ

If the four doors/space of the WRX are really appealing, get that. It's the most livable of the bunch with a fun side to it.

Since it's a lease, avoid the BRZ. That car is more like a blank canvas than it is a finished product.

EcoBoost Mustang would be the best performance option with the Ford Performance tuning package.

There's better cars in that price range, but not on a lease/new. A lightly used Evo X would be better than all of those, for example.

Is the WRX a better bet than the Mustang?

I love the WRX, I used to have an 02 bugeye. I've enjoyed driving some Mustangs recently but not the latest with the IRS. The WRX is a great all arounder while the Mustang is classic dragstrip or cruising musclecar. They are different animals. I say drive them and get the one that makes you laugh most.

mkenyon

Banned
I love the WRX, I used to have an 02 bugeye. I've enjoyed driving some Mustangs recently but not the latest with the IRS. The WRX is a great all arounder while the Mustang is classic dragstrip or cruising musclecar. They are different animals. I say drive them and get the one that makes you laugh most.
Newest Mustang is not the drag car it once was, it's definitely a fun performer.

There is zero point in buying/leasing a new BRZ/FRS. The depreciation will be horrible. (The only reason I bought one new was because there weren't too many used ones around in 2013.)

Look for a 2013-2014 BRZ if you want to go that route.

Shadoken

I just want to enjoy driving. I have a 2015 FR-S, lease is coming up.

Does the WRX feel heavy? I know its like 3,300 pounds or so that is not bad. I haven't had a 4 wheel drive since my Jaguar x-type.

I don't know what to get.
I drive less than 10,k a year, but I enjoy driving. The Fr-s has been great. I do not like the new Toyo refresh except the BRZ refresh is actually nice.

Like in my heart of hearts I wish Mazda still made a 90's Rx-7, because that's what i would get.

Both those cars will feel veeeery different from a BRZ/FRS. The weight and the low COG is definitely a noticeable factor.
Or just keep your FRS and slap on a Supercharger.

Some other options in your price range that are more similar to the FRS is the Miata and 124 Spider.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Mustang Eco Boost
Subaru WRX
Subaru BRZ

Mustang. Great car. Great power. Minor suspension bolt ons make it an amazing performer. Stock it's already a solid handler to begin with.

Or just keep your FRS and slap on a Supercharger.

Terrible idea. Under no circumstance buy out your old lease. It will be far too expensive, as opposed to just buying a used one with similar mileage. Also, older FR-S' tend to be more prone to crickets.

v1lla21

What kind of traffic are we talking about? In my city traffic is horrible, there's traffic lights everywhere so I stop a lot. With the Beetle I was getting around 13-14 us mpg while my M235i gets around 18-19 mpg.
Light to medium traffic. In bad traffic I get around 18 so same as you in the BMW. My commute to work I average 28-29(US) if I don't step on it and drive around the speed limit. One way commute is 13 miles so it's rather short and it's pretty much evenly split between city and street driving.

Congrats on the job Evo. Best of luck to you :)

matmanx1

Mustang Eco Boost
Subaru WRX
Subaru BRZ

Why not an MX-5 or the new MX-5RF? Or even the Fiata? If you like fun and light weight and don't need a lot of room you really won't beat those two for driving enjoyment at their price level.

Whaaaaaa?

Man that's probably one of my dream jobs. Which Experience Center are you headed to? The new one in LA? At any rate, huge congrats. I hear they are great to work for.

I've seen 23mpg from my M235i in the city (if you drive like a saint in normal traffic) otherwise like I said in my post above. I wouldn't suggest the M235i as your manual rwd car. The manual in it is not the best in its class and it doesn't even have an lsd for fun slides. I'm also not a big fan of the suspension, too much body roll for my taste but that might be to eliminate some understeer. It is a missile though with JB4 and catless titanum downpipes, it sounds glorious, its comfortable enough, has enough options and has surprisingly great fuel economy. I've managed to get 39mpg constantly during road trips.

Have you gone for the adaptive dampers? I have on the 1 and it feels pretty damn good in both modes, for the 1200 miles I've done. Would be interested to hear about your thoughts on passive vs adaptive, although I've heard the 2 has better suspension anyway

negitoro7

The plan while I'm still paying off the R is to get a used NA or NB Miata as my weekend/summer car to scratch the manual and convertible itch. At this point, the "sensible" thing wouldn't be to get rid of my R for the M240i (or M2 if I sell a kidney).

dohdough

Mustang Eco Boost
Subaru WRX
Subaru BRZ

Had a BRZ and now I'm in a WRX. The BRZ is very nimble and handles like a dream. The 200hp isn't as bad as it sounds to some and it was always more than enough for me. The WRX on the other hand, is much more practical and you feel the power difference right away. Obviously, it's not as nimble and the seats aren't as good, but it's most of the way there overall.

Evo X

Man, that's great. Congratulations!

Thanks!

Fuck ya, grats! Should be a perfect fit, let them know you're already doing tons of work on NeoGAF. ;)

Haha, they know I'm passionate about the brand. Told them during an interview that I was pretty much doing the job already, except now I would be getting paid for it. Lol

Congrats on the job Evo. Best of luck to you :)

Thanks. Eager to get started.

Man that's probably one of my dream jobs. Which Experience Center are you headed to? The new one in LA? At any rate, huge congrats. I hear they are great to work for.

Thanks. I've been wanting to do something in the automotive industry for a while, noticed this opening popped at the beginning of the year up so gave it a shot. I'm glad it's with Porsche since I have zero interest in selling economy cars.

I'm not sure which experience center they are sending me to yet. Will know more details once I actually start.

SliChillax

The plan while I'm still paying off the R is to get a used NA or NB Miata as my weekend/summer car to scratch the manual and convertible itch. At this point, the "sensible" thing wouldn't be to get rid of my R for the M240i (or M2 if I sell a kidney).

Can't go wrong with a Miata

Have you gone for the adaptive dampers? I have on the 1 and it feels pretty damn good in both modes, for the 1200 miles I've done. Would be interested to hear about your thoughts on passive vs adaptive, although I've heard the 2 has better suspension anyway

I have the adaptive dampers and honestly I feel no difference between comfort and sport plus. Maybe because I drive 90% of the time in sport plus and I only use comfort for highway cruising. I tried once to see the difference in a bumpy when I bought the car a year ago but didn't notice anything. Maybe it's just me but my car does have adaptive according to the spec sheet.

Bandit1

You know what? If an engine component is going to go, then going in a completely accessible, handily identifiable, easily replaceable fashion, is downright civilized.

Yep, practically my exact thoughts.

Yeah they do that it's a faulty fuel pressure regulator it lets gas into the intake so either it runs really rich or it explodes like that when you turn the key.

Did a little research and apparently that is the issue.

Wow, congrats! Sounds like a dream job.

I have the adaptive dampers and honestly I feel no difference between comfort and sport plus. Maybe because I drive 90% of the time in sport plus and I only use comfort for highway cruising. I tried once to see the difference in a bumpy when I bought the car a year ago but didn't notice anything. Maybe it's just me but my car does have adaptive according to the spec sheet.

Hah really? Its really noticeable on mine on bad roads. On smooth roads it's hard to tell I find, possibly as I am not pushing it hard enough.

Tried checking the options for the sport/comfort buttons? You can configure it to change drive train and/or chassis right? Probably teaching you to suck eggs telling you this haha

Top Bottom