• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT2| It'll at least last longer than Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is that this year there isn't something we can rally around to defeat the "popular" vote. Yamato stopped Kill la Kill and Ping Pong crushed everything else underfoot, but this year there was no great show which I can support rallying around. In any case One-punch man is pretty good imo so not really that big a loss.

I still would like to see a minimum vote even if it is only 3.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
If you are familiar with the FMA vs FMA Brotherhood debate its pretty much the same thing.

Alas, I am not.

Better direction, better color palette, fleshes out the characters better, more nuanced in its presentation. Basically the 2011 is presented like a standard shounen adaptation, while the 1999 is more thoughtful.

Do you think it would be redundant to watch both series if you're not a superfan?

Have only seen the roughly 20 first episodes of the 1999 HxH version but I certainly agree with the better direction and visuals. Except for Hisoka's hair...I liked that red.

I'll have to get back some time to check out more of it. I can't really imagine the Yorknew City arc being executed better, but might well be. Watashi curious!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The sad thing is that One Punch Man isn't even home to the best fights of the year. That honour goes to Etotama.

kewlmyc

Isn't the AOTY thread usually for showing off what is considered good to those who don't watch that much anime? Even if OPM wins (which it probably will), I'm sure stuff like Death Parade would still get recognized, even if it's not number 1.

At least it's not Danmachi. Actually it wasn't that bad thinking back on it. It's not Charlotte after all.

phaze

First 2 minutes of Boruto is the best fight of the year.

Lee vs that one guy from filler is the best TV fight this year.

Exalted

While OPM animation and fights were much bether, there wasn't realy that much excitement in his fights , since you alredy know he is OP and he will win.

phaze

What? The first scene of Boruto has awful storyboarding which makes it impossible to make out anything of the fight. It's just visual nonsense. I'm glad the rest of the film wasn't as bad.

It's messy in a few places yes but no that extent. And the chaoticness kinda adds to the rawness and sense of speed that i feel the entire fight exhibits well.

Exalted

As for the worst fight i saw this year (from a series that i watched) would probably go to Seraph of the end,to that "speed lines" action sequence...
Still can't believe someone aproved that.

It's messy in a few places yes but no that extent. And the chaoticness kinda adds to the rawness and sense of speed that i feel the entire fight exhibits well.

If you're trying to evoke a sense of rawness and speed, you should do it via the drawings and layouts, not by shaking the camera all over like a madman. The later setpieces, when the characters melt into the sea of effects, do a better job at conveying that.

Glitter Force 15

ERQ5W5m.png
32xoZvK.png
rOKK6wc.png
How are they going to explain how this is not-Japan?
Oh, Okay.

As for the worst fight i saw this year (from a series that i watched) would probably go to Seraph of the end,to that "speed lines" action sequence...

To be fair, they made up for that embarrassment with season 2. Season 2 is really well produced, outside of one episode, which still looks better than the last episodes of the first season.

Wait, is this the show that has an entire complicated chart devoted to it, depicting who's into who ?

Edit: Found it. Spoilers I imagine ? Will probably check it out if your impressions will remain favourable.

Yeh saw some recommendation on reddit and I think it had that image as well. Not gonna look at it again as I can't remember any details though and, even if not really important, why spoil it for myself.

First episode starts of pretty well with this bit, so yeh, can only recommend it as far as those first 6 episodes go.

BluWacky

I am trying not to be a lapsed anime fan this year. I will finish a show!

Yuri Kuma Arashi 4

I think this is the point when everyone says the show gets better. It's certainly far more coherent and interesting than the prior episodes, giving us some essential context to Lulu at least. With that said, as amusing as Ikuhara's fairytale flashback episodes are (shades of OH NO MR PRESIDENT here...), and as surprisingly moving as I found the first meeting of Ginko and Lulu, I suppose the downside of being an auteur director is that it did feel a little like I'd seen this episode before in another Ikuni show... At least the "flashback" inserts aren't as long as the subway inserts in PingDrum were.

With that said, there are some clever little touches; Life Sexy inserting himself into the narration, for instance. I'd also remark that, although we're dealing with a ridiculous fairytale story in a world with humanoid bears, the dialogue never feels overwritten; as far as possible, outside of the stylised world of the Court, it actually sounds like things people might say in this situation.

Kinda forgot about KareKano. That one has more serious drama but is probably still considered high school romcom. So, that'll remain at the top (I imagine).

Andrew J.

They literally have more meaning. Shirobake portrays the at times incomprehensible shifts between beauty and tragedy that life holds. Oregairu hits the heart of what it is to be in love at that stage in life and the awkwardness of friendship. Yuri Kuma is entirely a thought piece - it has more meaning than probably any show this year. One Punch Man is a satire of action series, combining gag comedy and superb animation. Interesting, awesome, fun to watch, but not nearly as much meaning. It doesn't make OPM any worse inherently, but again, it feels out of place.

One Punch Man is a meditation on the nature heroism through the lens of Buddhist enlightenment.

(I'm only half-joking; those themes are present, but mostly in the later parts of the manga and webcomic that haven't been adapted to animation yet.)

Man they were some great stuff this year! It was so hard to choose a top 10 :/ and I keep on remembering anime that actually aired this year and ehhhhhhh. But the worst was the order to put them in...The only one I was sure was Haikyu at #1 and Fafner at #2

Edit: Also if we are talking favourite fight mine was detective Raito vs Jiro and justice robot in concrete revolutio. Short but soooo good

John Blade

Poor Sakura. She want to be friend with everyone but her clumsy style make everyone to hate her the min she step into the theater. Make it worst at the end. Man...she have bad luck like no one else.

Shin Getter Rovo VS Neo Getter Robo - 1

So here we have this dude named Go. He wrestles people for money and this is what he does when a giant lizard man happens to be his next opponent.

Why? Because he's a badass.

He then learns that these lizard people want his body because of how badass he is. Since he's so badass, when he sees the lizard man get into a giant robot and slowly walk towards him, he does this:

After that proves to be ineffective despite it being so badass, Getter-2 pilot Hayato Jin brings in one of the main stars.

Introducing Neo Getter Robo! To which Go climbs in. He has the natural reaction that a badass has when he knows he's going to pilot a giant robot.

And then...

Yeah.

And that's just the first episode.

Already this is one of the best kinds of super robot shows. It doesn't screw around and gets right to what you want. A JAM Project OP, People punching monsters, robots punching monsters, robots firing lasers, thunder, and missiles at monsters, etc. Perfection.

Did I mention that Go is a badass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom