• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT2| It'll at least last longer than Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

There seems to be a real divide in the Gundam fanbase.

Fans in Japan like over the top, new types performing magical feats Gundam.

Fans here seem to want a more reserved Gundam.

I don't think this is the case. There is no question that "Gundam" as an umbrella brand has weakened over the years, especially in TV ratings, but that simply means the younger and more casual audience hasn't found something to latch on to. The last time a new non-UC Gundam managed to break out was with Gundam SEED, and that was over 10 years ago.

Meanwhile, the UC stuff remain very popular, with Unicorn and Origin getting solid sales. Unfortunately this will not translate to TV success because they aren't very good at being gateway entries for people who aren't already fans, and the older UC fans who are driving the success of these OVAs tend to prefer quality over quantity - less releases but higher production values. Works well with movies and OVA, not so well with TV shows.

So this is less of a "Japanese fans vs Western fans" thing, and more of just the lack of a successful new non-UC gateway series to capture a new audience.

So I think I'll cram in some shows like Euphonium and shit to see what I can come up for the AotY besides Jojo and Precure... and Tribe Cool Crew.

What shows didn't end in a disaster that is also good so that way I'll just watch some of it?

Sound Euphonium 2

o1kY8xg.jpg

wQQp1Ml.jpg

pxboBAf.jpg

qxdD2NG.jpg

They're... so... beautiful. Sniff.

You can like something without trying to stir shit!

edit: not implicitly directed at you

Was mostly a joke. I of course found the 6 episodes of Shirobako I watched incredibly boring, but clearly it's not for me. Can't speak for Oregairu.

You don't want to hear my opinion on Gurren Lagann either. I'll admit my personal taste sways away from battle-heavy anime and more towards dialogue and character driven shows. Gurren Lagann is one of the best of the genre and probably one of the better pieces of anime in general, but I hear it get thrown in the same category as Evangelion and Madoka all the time.

OPM is running on a lot of hype right now. Its biggest issue is that it satirizes a genre, but then slips up and falls into the tropes it tries to satirize. The first half is hilarious, but the humor tank runs dry midway through and tries to build a narrative on top of the jokes of the first half. Due to the nature of the satire, the fights - especially the fight with Boros where it actually mattered - lack any reason for the viewer to really care. I honestly think it's one of the most overrated anime of all time despite the fact that I enjoyed it (for further reference, I'd give it an 8.25 or something on the Strix Arbitrary Scale)

You seem to not like the idea that something primarily made for entertainment would be considered for anime of the year regardless of how well it pulls things off. That's not something I can agree with. Even when a piece of media's focus is something I don't particularly care for, I won't make a stink about its popularity if it wins a popularity contest just because it isn't for me.

OPM has a tremendous advantage as it not only appeals to lapsed anime fans, but unlike other series of that ilk (Attack on Titan), remains consistent throughout in most aspects and thus has appeal for longtime fans of the medium as well. It's really a perfect storm of concept and execution. Your criticism of it becoming a reconstruction after being a deconstruction for half the series isn't something people are going to keep in mind when voting, if they even agree with it at all (which I don't).

Things don't need to be dark or have much deeper meaning to be quality products, and I'd say OPM definitely falls under that (though season 2 will be go a bit deeper than s1).

And IMO, TTGL blows Eva and Madoka out of the water. The latter two are fun dark subversions of their respective genres and the former is the genre played straight at its absolute best to an inspiring degree. I won't fault one for liking any over the others, but they're different beasts. To say "get thrown out in the same category as Madoka and Eva" seems needlessly elitist to me, unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

Narag

ZZ Gundam 35

This one was really good as it felt like something that helped bind the three UC tv shows what with Hayato and Bright together to discuss Katz' fate or the impetus of getting Kamille clear of the colony drop area lest his psyche suffer irrevocable damage. The danger of the colony drop itself gives events a sense of gravitas that's sorely been lacking as well.

However this doesn't exactly exist in a vacuum so inadvertently contributes to the schizophrenic nature of the show by bringing something so dramatic (and great) after so much fucking nonsense.

Level E 13 END

Woah I actually watched an entire series in 2 days. I can only do this with 6-8/10 series lol

Pretty good comedy, the main character being a gigantic asshole sets up for some good skits and the keikaku are absolutely ridiculous. Since I have now watched Gintama, all anime comedies shall be henceforth compared to it and be labeled "not as good as Gintama" and this is no different and it's a pretty easy comparison to make with all the alien stuff and arcs like the sentai team/dragon.

A pretty easy and solid watch, not really what I expected from Togashi but that's kind of a good thing.

Sorry if I'm being dense but... aside from the art quality and shiny reflections... what's the difference here?

The art quality is the main thing I'm referring to. Haruchika looks uglier than real life. Sound Euphonium looks prettier than real life. If Haruchika wants to create any kind of atmosphere, like the trailer seems to want to do with the bloody music and mystery emphasis, it's going to have a hard time looking like that. Meanwhile Sound Euphonium is more mundane in content, but oozes atmosphere all over.

And as a musician, I appreciate that KyoAni makes the effort to get all the details just so, rather than P.A. Works' half-assed job.

This is pretty much my AOTY list currently not in order.

Gintama
Kekkai Sensen
Concrete Revoultio
Young Black Jack
Snow White
Noragami
Osomatsu
Haikyuu
Gundam IBO
Soma

Although I think some things may change.

Sterok

Aikatsu 165

Wait, the tour is done already? That's kind of disappointing. Not as many new places as I would've hoped. Though it did get us Nina, so it's all good. Getting snow is a nice twist on getting that tree. Woah, Luminas with Ichigo, Mizuki, and Juri? Odd combo. I like it. More odd combos please. It's also the first time Sumire, Hinaki, and Juri have been on-stage with the old-gen. Too bad Otome was missing. She would've completed the leaders of each unit. The Starlight Queen Cup already? That was fast.

Since TMS is animating Bakuon!! which is the moe girls on motorcycles in Spring 2016. I'm guessing TMS will air D.Gray-Man either in Summer or Fall.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Reminds me I need to get back to stretching my hip flexors.
Every time I see this character I can't help but think her design is something recycled from Chuu2 but with blonde hair.

She's Cent-o with her ponytail tied off to the side.

blurr

It's a bit hard to believe that I hold something like OPM in high regard, right next to Shirobako in this year but the concept and certain aspects of it resonated with me a lot.

Just learned two things, the AnoHana live action movie is up on Crunchyroll, and there is a new 50 minute Wagnaria thing that went up recently.

Rainy

Banned
Shirobako 1
8I8VS77.jpg

Donuts are good all year around!

The opening scene had this somber tone by the end that I really enjoyed.
As for the rest of it, things seemed so chaotic, and it's only the first episode!

Overall I liked it.

Thoraxes

Sorry if I'm being dense but... aside from the art quality and shiny reflections... what's the difference here?

They're also perfectly mechanically/anatomically drawn as well as animated with proper performance technique on the human side too, from hands positions, body positioning, posture, breathing, etc. Then you have things like adjusting lighting, reflections, and curvature based on instrument lacquer in the visuals too. Only perfectionists could nail the look like that and then have it actually move correctly too. Every little valve, slide, tuning slides, spit valves, mouthpieces, keys, reeds and ligatures, solderings... It's all there. And all correct.

The logistics of such a feat is utterly insane.
Nobody will ever top this.
Probably ever.
The art quality is the main thing I'm referring to. Haruchika looks uglier than real life. Sound Euphonium looks prettier than real life. If Haruchika wants to create any kind of atmosphere, like the trailer seems to want to do with the bloody music and mystery emphasis, it's going to have a hard time looking like that. Meanwhile Sound Euphonium is more mundane in content, but oozes atmosphere all over.

And as a musician, I appreciate that KyoAni makes the effort to get all the details just so, rather than P.A. Works' half-assed job.
I know you're a pianist, but you've never participated in band before, right? At least as a regular member that is. I would kill to see them do an ensemble piece in the next season with a piano included, since the repertoire is out there. Or maybe a solo contest too.

Euphonium is good and all but I believe Silent Voice adaption is a type of series that's outside of what KyoAni usually does such as focusing on the topic of bullying and the effects it has. The former while may be consistently good isn't something that pushes their ability to do something different while the latter is unique in a sense that's different for them theme wise. Which is why I say Silent Voice if done competently will show KyoAni's ability to work outside their comfort zone and redeem them.

Anyway I just want to see if they can adapt Silent Voice efficiently and effectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom